Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
MarianFrae

Charon 5 (official)

((right now, it's night. So it's actually fairly cool outside.))

"It's still night, right? Otherwise Necumscot or whatever his new name is would be hiding... so right now, it should be cool outside. Isn't that how deserts work?"

Wanderer intoned, "It is true... in some deserts you can get hypothermia at night but sweat off pounds during the day. It doesn't get that cold here... but it might be a standable temperature. We could save Shaed's energy until daylight hits and the vampire is in hiding."

Necunoscot sat quietly in the darkness. His sharp ears could pick up the extra sounds of the ship's systems working to provide breathable air for the crew. Good. The temperature should be increasing dangerously. Even if the ship had some clever way of venting heat through its hull to maintain comfortable living quarters, we was fairly certain that the ship's electrical and mechanical systems would need to be vented separately. Typically the mechanical portions of a spaceship were very heavily insulated, so that nothing would fail in the near absolute zero of outer space. But those systems had a very narrow tolerance in which they could function effectively. Getting rid of heat could be a tricky problem for spaceships. He hoped the spiders were messing it up.

The vampire sat back and closed his eyes, in an attempt to clear his mind. He wanted to contact with Elindra again. A flash of pain seared across his chest and the image of Jadis astride his chest, silver dagger in hand ripped through his mind in echo. For a moment he was nearly overcome with rage. He would kill her. The thought flared through his mind of its own accord. Ruthlessly he pushed it away. He would not think of Jadis right now. He must stay focused.

Elindra he called as softly as he could, hoping that she had heard him earlier and hidden herself deep in Runner's subconscious. Hopefully, she would not notice him talking to her. Elindra, my love. It is time. Can you access her emotions? Try my love. Try. But ever so gently. It won't do us as much good if she notices... Tweak her fear response, but not too much. We just want her to come out and take a look at what's happening to the ship. Tap her impatience. We don't want her to wait until morning...

And now, there was nothing to do save wait. To wait. And to not think about Jadis.

Adrian sat on a slight hill in the sand, chuckling as waves of emotion swept before his nose. The vampire's emotions were the most amusing- so desperate and lustful... and even a hint of love. Every now and then, Adrian would catch a whiff of fear and gluttonously lick the air. Jadis, we've found Elindra.

Good. Are you bringing her back soon?

As soon as we get her and her companions out of their ship.

She's not willing to come to you?

She's... temporarily lost in her mind. Another entity is controlling her right now.

Take care of it, Adrian... or I'll visit you in your dreams too.

Do you really think we would teach you something you could use against us? Adrian broke contact and sent a whine of frequency so high only his race could hear it. The whine came back to him as a wave like sonar... but his went through the ship too.

"Launch a video drone to see what is going on out there." Yen said to the ship, and soon an image of swarms of bats and spiders appeared as the remote control device circled the vessel's exterior, scanning and recording the strange nocturnal activity. The insects spun webs around the hull, and the bats flocked toward the scanners and viewports, obscuring the spacecraft's electronic vision.

"That's very odd, why aren't the bats eating the spiders?" she wondered aloud, then tentatively sent a suggestion of hunger aimed at the flying mammals' brains, attempting to persuade them to treat the arachnids as the natural prey they were, hopefully initiating a feast that would rid the craft of half of the invaders.

Jho (city of Jermann) - Faelyn, Sarona, Lumiana, Riven Silver

Pushing back my chair I stood up. I was more than ready to retire.

"I would be much obliged to have something to knock me out for the night, Riven. Thank you."

Lumiana had been quiet since we left the Cefiyaen Tunnels. Didn't know what was eating at her, she didn't look so good though. She stood up to follow Riven. I wasn't quite sure she was going to make it to the room so I caught her around her waist and followed Riven and Sarona down the hall to our room.

A tear in Sarona's cloak caught my eye. There seemed to be scars on her. I wondered what could have caused them and if that's why she always wore her cloak, hiding them? Just then Lumiana faultered and it took my attention from the scars.

"Hold on Lumiana, we're almost in our room. You'll be able to rest once we get there." She nodded to me in understanding.

Wanderer continues in the same droning tone, "Well, this would be true ordinarily, but unfortunately the sand composition in the immediate area is rather unique. It retains the heat and releases it at night, making for only a slightly lower temperature that gradually eases until the sun returns in the morning. At this point, the night is still hot enough to be dangerous with long-term unprotected exposure."

Tsk, the darn thing sure likes ta talk! "So in other words, no, it really is getting hot in here. Hells, woman, trust your skin if nothin' else!" Kinda wanna launch another psi attack, but after the last one I ain't so sure it's a good idea, ya know? Maybe if I go after the vamp... how 'bout a nice traditional attack?

"Rise, rise, rise! Burning passion, feller of angels and creation of all things! Enter into this world to rage as fire!" Reachin' out with my mind, sendin' the ball o' flame outside the ship, guidin' toward the dark presence waitin' in the sand.

I sighed and started to say something when a sudden pang of fear hit me. It was getting pretty hot... but no. Yen sent out a droid and there's a stirring in the bats so... I'm sure she did something... still just to make sure, "Yen, what was that about eating?"

"I'm trying to get those wild bats to behave normally and devour the spiders." Yen answered, wiping sweat from her forehead where her curly hair was beginning to stick to it. Other parts of her uniform were beginning to appear damp in the increasing heat. Her third eye wide open, watching the screen, as Shaed lauched another fire attack outside the ship.

"Shaed, can you burn the webs off of the hull with that fireball? The flames shouldn't damage Wanderer's exterior finish at all."

:chicken: <---inserts the picture in the post where it goes.

(Of course Easter is tomorrow...or is that today?!)

I led the way to our room looking back periodically to see if anyone might need help. Lumiana didn't seem to be doing very well. Once there I quickly opened the door letting the others enter first making sure it was securely locked behind us. My staff lit the way while I managed to light the oil lamps. I helped Faelyn get Lumiana into bed and put Faelyn in the one beside her. It would be easier to tend both of them that way.[i/]

"Alright Faelyn, let's have a look at your arm."

I took the bandage off carefully supporting the flesh on either side of the wound. It looked clean enough, but it wouldn't do to have it get infected. The resin hadn't held in one small area. That accounted for the oozing she had felt earlier. Using a bit more resin I closed the gap then added sulfur which would act as an antibacterial agent. It was the best I could do at the moment. I was in dire need of a resupply. I would have to see what the town offered tomorrow as well as seeing about a new cloak. Having more time to work this time I easily managed to close the bandage tightly enough to support the flesh around the wound so it wouldn't reopen, but not so tight it cut off circulation.

I searched in my rucksack and pulled out an ivory clay vial of blocodador. I made it strong enough to relieve her of any pain she might be feeling. Her own exhaustion would take care of the rest. Handing her the potion I went to the wash stand, poured water that Lucinda had warmed, bless her, and wetted a wash cloth taking it back to Faelyn.

Handing her the cloth I said, "Washing your face and arms may make you feel a little better," and smiled.

Moving back to the stand I washed my face and hands with another cloth. Finding a third cloth I wetted one for Sarona and handed it to her with a smile. She always seemed as if she felt very much alone.

I took a seat at the rooms only table and munched on a crisp apple while thinking. Lumiana was already fast asleep. I wasn't sure what I would be able to do for her if anything. She didn't seem to be in any immediate physical distress so I would let her sleep the night. I was fairly sure that if Sarona needed anything she would ask. Faelyn had washed herself up a bit and was asleep almost before her head hit the pillow.

I finished the apple, extinguished the lamps, and tossed the core out the window while having a look around. I saw one of the taverns patrons staggering home. He must have started drinking early. Other than that there was nothing to alarm my senses. It was a quiet night.

I turned into the bed nearest the door and set my internal alarm for dawn. Then I hung a spell on the door that would trigger a brilliant flash of light if opened before I disarmed it. After that bit of work was done I was asleep within a few seconds.

After washing her face she climbed into bed and laid down, keeping her cloak around her. If only she could have had her own room... But that probably wasn't advisable. She hadn't had time alone to check the rip... Hopefully it wasn't anything serious.

I suddenly realized that even while I had been trying to figure out how to get us out of this fix... I'd been reaching out. I still can't say if I was reaching out for Faelyn in particular... or if I was just reaching out... but I felt a hole break into a larger one with the coming of sleep- and I knew it was Faelyn. Careful to stay conscious of where I was as well as the dream I was going to become part of, I stepped through the hole and made contact.

-----

Something flashed dark red in Adrian's eyes Dream Walker. Adrian snarled and flashed back to Necunoscot, "The Runner is at her weakest right now. She has blocked me out entirely... both of them have. Tell Elindra to try now. As I said, Runner is at her weakest."

With a short walk, which seemed to take forever, we were inside our room. Riven helped me get Lumiana into bed and then she helped me into the bed next to Lumi. It felt wonderful to be able to lay down.

Riven set about rebandaging my arm and gave me a potion to drink for the pain. After washing my face and hands with the wet warm cloth Riven game me, I closed my eyes and lay back into darkness.

((Sorry, I don't have time to post now... too tired... but I did want to say that the spiders are large. In their description (post 384) they are knee-high to the vampire. So, I think it is actually more likely that the spiders would eat the bats. :) ))

((Hmm... then in the bats trying foolishly to eat the spiders, we could have the spiders get agitated enough to eat the bats. :) There we go problem solved?))

Dawn broke long before I would have been ready to awaken. I lay still listening without moving or changing my breathing pattern; nothing seemed amiss. I cracked my eyelids a fraction looking over what I could see of the room from the angle at which I lay; everything appeared normal. I rose slowly stretching the kinks out as I went then carefully dismantled the spell I had set the night before noting no tampering.

I had been through Jermann many times before and Lucinda knew through experience not to disturb me until she saw me in the common room. Later I would have breakfast sent up for everyone, but right now I had a bit of shopping to do. I knew Mrs. Jax would be up as early as I so would begin there. Taking my rucksack I quietly made my way downstairs where Lucinda was waiting with coffee and a biscuit.

"Thanks Lucinda," I said with a smile.

"Any time Riven," she grinned in response.

I quit the inn and my pace quickened. It was just a tad chilly without a clock. Making my way through the village I saw no one on the streets as yet, but there was smoke coming from several chimneys. People were beginning to awaken to begin their day. Arriving at Mrs. Jax's I went around back and knocked on the door which was promptly answered.[/i]

"Good morning, Mrs. Jax. How have you been keeping?"

"Oh, I can't complain this round. Business has been brisk though; the usual for this time of year."

"I'll bet," I said with a bit of a chuckle.

"Alright, what are you short of today?"

Mrs. Jax wasn't one for wasting time so I got to the point of my visit quickly. "I need these herbs in powdered form if you have it: aloe vera, astragalus, atun tree extract, burdock root, chlorella, cat's claw, echinacea, fennel, fenugreek, feverfew, garlic, ginseng, golden seal root, green tea, juniper berry, licorice, osha root, pau d' arco, red clover, st john's wort, sarsaparilla, spirulina, sulfur. I also need the garlic in dried minced and whole fresh bulbs. I can use them in whatever quantities you might have except the bulb garlic; just five of those if you have them."

"You still using sulfur?"

"Only when I have nothing else. It keeps potency well."

I grinned at her and saw her eyes sparkling. We had this little chat every time I ran low on sulfur. She thoroughly enjoyed that little dig and seemed never to tire of it. I watched as she collected and made a nice parcel of everything. I can't remember a time when she didn't have what I needed. Somehow she managed trade in the nearest space port. She couldn't come by some of it otherwise. A wily one was Mrs. Jax. She handed me a very compact parcel which fit nicely in my rucksack. Digging deeply into my left pocket I came up with the required amount in dimoulas; that being the currency of Jho. Mrs. Jax smiled and shooed me out the door the way I had come in.

The sun was now over the horizon and things were beginning to heat up. The coolness I had felt earlier was gone. I was still going to need a new cloak though. I made my way over to the tailor's shop; the bell ringing as I opened the door. Mr. Harmonik came from the back to greet me.

The darkness was all around me... in the far off distance I could hear the Hominefs wailing... so far away... and all was black... the wailing had a somewhat melodic sing-song to it lulling me into a state of relaxation... barely noticable was a tapping in the background of the wails... like two sticks being tapped together keeping rhythem with the harmony of the wails... I run through the darkness blind trying to harness the sounds... searching... eyes wide shut with the darkness...

There in the distance... a glow... I reach out for it but it eludes me... I'm running so very fast and yet am getting nowhere... the wails from the Hominefs are getting louder... their tone has changed to what seems to be one of danger... but to who...

I seem to be floating on a breeze... such darkness I've never seen and yet I still see the glow below... I am drawn to it like a moth to a flame and the Hominefs seem to be singing to me... the Cefiyaens pounding out the beat so I can follow the trail to them...

My body is going limp... am falling... falling... falling... into the blackness of the night... the glow is growing... tumbling... out of control towards the glow... there in the middle of the glow I see the vamp and his minon... my heart skips a beat... are they after me... did the Cefiyaens use the Hominefs to draw me to them...

My arms spread on their own and catch a breeze... he starts running towards me... so very fast... his eyes are glowing yellow... his hair the color of night... his cape catches a breeze and he is airborne... I dive trying to pick up speed and spread my arms heavenward and head into the night sky...

The clicking and the wailing are a cacophony of sound ringing through the night air ebbing and flowing to our dance on the wind...

He's gaining... snarling like the dog he is... fresh blood dripping from his fangs... I can feel his enjoyment... his knowing he's got his kill...

Diving again I angle my arms to swoop around and am coming face to face with him... such evil I have never felt...

In a desparate attempt to stay alive, I scream out for Runner...

I'm thrust into darkness... but no- There is Adrian. And the vampire. And tons of Teks. I hear the all too familiar wailing of the Hominefs... and then something I had hoped I would never hear, "RUNNER!" Faelyn was panicked I finally saw her and rushed toward her. I had to save her... even if I knew it was only a dream.

"Faelyn! I'm here!" Catching up to her, I put out my hand for her to take. I needed her as much as she needed me.

I felt some of what Adrian was... but he was distorted- as was Necunoscot. Neither of them looked or felt exactly right. Good... this is only a nightmare.

Mr. Harmonik greeted me warmly. "Hello Riven Silver. I have no need of anything this trip. Is there anything I can do for you?"

"Yes, Mr. Harmonik, you can indeed help me this trip. I am in need of a new cloak. The old one was dissolved by the acid of a gleethu fungus. Is it possible you can make one by nightfall?" I asked with pleading in my eyes and voice.

I watched as he rolled his eyes and sighed heavily. "I suppose so. There isn't anything pending right now that anyone needs in the next few days. It's going to cost you though. I don't like having to rush."

"Anything for you, Mr. Harmonik. Thanks ever so much. I'll be back before twilight to fetch it," I said with a big smile just for him.

"Hold on there a minute! I need measurements!" he cried.

I turned back and went to stand before him with a sheepish grin. Taking his measuring tape from around his neck and a pad and pencil from his jacket pocket he proceeded to take and make note of the measurements he would need.

As I cried out into the night the Vampire started to howel and a hand appeared in front of me... grasping the hand I looked up and Runner was beside me... I held on tight to Runner as I said my thank you's to the heavens...

"Runner... he's after me... the Cefiyaens and the Hominefs drew me out into the night and lead me straight to the Vampire and his minon... we need to distroy them... they're after you too aren't they... it 'has' to be the same ones!"

I was frantic... I didn't have any weapons... I was as vulnerable as a new born baby... how I wished I had a hand full of silver stakes... as if by magic my hand beheld a silver stake... I looked at Runner and I thrust it into her hand...

"Come to us Vampire!" I taunted.

I took the stake and looked at it, this definitely was a dream. Non-Necunoscot air-ran at us, eyes gleaming with blood lust. He'd seen the stakes and felt no fear. Eyes widening, I took a stronger hold on Faelyn and brought us down to the ground- unsure of how exactly I did it... but knowing I manipulated the air around us. Since this was a dream, I concentrated on holy water waterfalling on the vampire... but it did nothing. Nothing I tried to come up with worked. Suddenly it hit me- I wasn't really dreaming... for me this might work like reality. I got the feel of the stake and mentally thrust it at Necunoscot. It flew into him and slowed but passed through- the mark it had made disappeared and he hadn't seemed hurt at all.

My brow furrowed and I muttered, "Try Holy Chinese Water Torture."

Runner brought us down and my feet landed lightly on the ground. I watched her as she thrust the stake through the air... like a flash it went completely through the Vampire and I watched in amazement as the hole through his body closed... the stake had no affect on him... Runner was screaming, "Try Holy Chinese Water Torture."

I looked towards the heavens... opening my mind to the great beyond... believing with all my heart... I smelled the rain coming... from the depths of my being I started chanting...

"Bless the water oh Holy One... shower it upon the Vampire... Bless the water oh Holy One... shower it upon the Vampire... Bless the water oh Holy One... shower it upon the Vampire..."

The rain fell upon the Vampire drop by drop... he moved to evade the water... yet the water seemed to follow him... drops increasing in size and hastening just a bit... every drop that hit him exploded with a little geyser of steam... thin fog began to form as the rain continued to dance around on him...

"Runner... it seems to be working... but why not the stake... is it just folklore...?"

I shook my head, "I don't know... the water's not working as well as it should either... but it IS working."

Necunoscot had a grimace on his face... but nothing worse. The stake was still flying, I sent it toward Adrian's head. Adrian fell to the ground and spasmed but then disintegrated.

"Adrian's not a vampire... it should have killed him but..." I shook my head, "We'll have to use different measures with him."

I ran through his known weaknesses in my mind, trying both the weakness and the opposite. Nothing worked until shadow.

The black became deeper... almost like it had taken on form. I soon realized- it had... and it was moving toward him. Soon... it began seeping out of him as well. As shadow and holy water touched, he faltered and let out a cry of anguish. His body began disintegrated in pieces- a grotesque ordeal to see.

But he kept moving. At the end- with half a body left- he reached out an arm to grasp Faelyn, but as soon as he touched her: he was dust.