Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
MarianFrae

Charon 5 (official)

Jho (city of Jermann) - Faelyn, Sarona, Lumiana, Riven Silver

(Basset - hope you're feeling better soon! We're still asleep so nothing to post until late tomorrow. Be well, my friend.)

The stake Runner had thrown continued on it course and hit the minon dead on... within a flash he shriveled up into dust...

The Vampire was still being hit by the Holy Water... it was doing some damage, but not much... we needed something more... I looked to Runner... she was concentrating... then it happened...

The darkness around him seemed to be getting denser... darker if that was possible... Runner was doing it... I could feel her doing it... the darkness was coming alive... taking on a form of it's own... it was moving...

The shadow seemed to engulf the Vampire and start pouring out of him... he was disintegrating right before our very eyes... but no... he was coming for us... he was still intending to kill us... he was reaching for me... my mind screamed "Noooooooooooooooooo" but I couldn't move... and then he was gone...

For a long moment I was speechless... I had been holding my breath... as I sucked in the air I could taste his ashes... I reached for my waterskin and it wasn't there...

"Runner... you did it... he's gone... all will be well now... no worries... you're safe now... we can hunt the box together now... Runner...?"

((Ack! Sorry I haven't been able to post. It's great to see so much happening! I'm really busy right now... just got back from a trip and heading out on another one tomorrow... but I will try to catch up and post later today...))

I turned to Faelyn. Now that the nightmare was over, "It's a dream, Fae. We're in your dream. I think... I think it was real for me. I'm not really dreaming so... I'm not sure." I waited for that to sink in, "Are you and Sarona alright? And Lennie? And Elder's person? You said there was another to, right? River? Riven? Something like that? Are all of you ok?"

Staring at Runner and taking in what she's telling me it's all so unbelievable... A dream... she says it's a dream I'm having... she's in my dream... how can this be... it was so real... it's still so real...

"Uh... okay... yes... okay... we're okay... no... not all of us... Lumiana... the Elder's guide... she's taken sick. We're not sure what's wrong with her. We may have to leave her behind. The rest of us are okay.

Riven is taking care of my arm and is guiding us to the volcano. She's a Druid and a trader. Sarona seems to be okay, has gotten very quiet. I'm wondering if it's because of the tear in her cloak. I can see scars on her body through the tear.

I fear we will have to leave Lumiana behind. I hope she has a map of the volcano with her. Is everything okay at the ship?"

This all felt so very real...

The vampire was startled out of his trance by the sudden appearance of Adrian at his side. He seemed agitated. He was saying something. "The Runner is at her weakest right now. She has blocked me out entirely... both of them have. Tell Elindra to try now. As I said, Runner is at her weakest."

Necunoscot shook his head trying to concentrate on Adrian's words. He had been deep in his trance and it took a few moments to sink in. Elindra. Tell Elindra to try now... Runner is at her weakest.

Necunoscot smiled. Yes. Elindra. Elindra he called, Adrian said to try...

His sending was cut off abruptly as a fireball exploded around him. He cursed for a moment before he was lost to agony. So consumed had he been in his trance, his confusion, his sending to Elindra that he had not even noticed its approach. His scream sliced through the night air, rising in pitch until he could no longer hear it even as it left his throat.

He did not have the chance to weigh his options, to choose the best course. His body acted of its own accord. He... vaporized. A dark whirlwind rose out of the fireball, howling in rage. The transformation cost him nearly all of his meager energy. He would not be able to take on his coporeal shape for some time. He was not even sure if he had enough energy to reach out to Elindra mentally. He was not even certain he had enough energy to reach out to Adrian.

The howl faded as the dark whirlwind disappeared against the blackness of the star-studded sky. For the moment, Necunoscot de Nedescris would bide his time. But he would not let the ship out of his sight.

-----

((I'm sorry. I've got a nasty cold, and we're travelling this week. I almost certainly won't be able to post tomorrow at all -- and I'm not sure when or if I'll be able to get online after that for the next few days. I'll be back for sure next Tuesday... I'd hoped the battle would be a little further along before this trip. Anyway, I'll post if I'm able...))

I was taken aback slightly, "No... Elder would not have been so careless... nor trusted someone so careless. The only map would be in her head. I don't-" Something changed, my link to the real world was breaking- tearing, "ELINDRA!" A cursed vile laugh broke through the dream Ironic you should speak of carelessness at this moment. You put yourself wide open. And now it's your turn to know what it's like to be in a cage. I couldn't tell what was going on in real life. I was stuck in the dream world... and my own head. She had taken over.

"She... the- the other... the other me took control," I realized with shame that tears were streaming down my cheeks and my voice shook like thunder- strong but far off.

When Mr. Harmonik was done taking measurements I went out of the tailor's shop and made my way back to the inn. Lucinda was polishing glasses behind the bar.

"Lucinda, I would like you bring up a steaming pot of coffee, juice, hot cereal, and biscuits with all the trimmings for four. Put everything on my tab. I'll settle up before we leave tonight."

"Comin' right up," she said brightly.

I walked quietly up the stairs, down the hallway, and into our room. The village outside was waking up, but my companions were still asleep. It was heating up outside, but the inn was in the shade of overhanging rock and situated so it would be comfortable enough throughout the day.

It wasn't long before Lucinda knocked softly. When I let her in she set everything up on the rooms only sizeable table and left.

Raising my voice just above normal speaking range I proceeded to wake the others up. "Rise and shine everyone. Breakfast is served."

Out of the depths of darkness I heard a voice... it pulled me through the darkness towards it... sucking me through the black of night...

I woke with a start sitting straight up. It took me a second to realize where I was. Riven... it was Riven. It 'had' been a nightmare. ...but it was so 'real'... Runner... the Vampire... his minon... At the moment I was just thankful that a nightmare was all that it was.

"Morning Riven." I looked around and Lumiana and Sarona were still asleep. Hopefully they had a better night than I had. I felt I hadn't slept a wink.

The room was filled with wonderful smells. I suddenly realized that I was famished. I followed my nose and there on the table was breakfast.

I swung my legs over the side of the bed and sat for a second making sure I was stable. Feeling sure that I was, I walked over to the table and took a chair. I wasn't sure if I should wait so I settled on pouring myself a cup of coffee to start with.

I sat there drinking my coffee and pondering over my nightmare.

I stopped in mid-sip... it was Runner... she seemed concerned... I had seen the tears on her face as I was being sucked out of the nightmare...

"Yes, Runner, I can still hear you. Riven woke us up for breakfast. It's just getting light out. Are you okay? Are you still safe on the ship?"

I felt so helpless to do anything...

Edit: (I've posted it in the Collegium labeled Jho Map.)

I don't know... Elindra took control of my body. Elindra is... was... We're technically each other... just at different points. She's who I used to be... and she has all the memories I've lost... or maybe I never had them. But I'm worried. They may not be able to tell the difference between us. If she acts like me... they won't. I think we're gonna get captured. I'm not sure there's any way around it now.

She sat up at the voices, pulling herself out of bed. She hadn't slept well... Then again, she never slept well in 'real' beds. At least, that was what the majority of the human population called them, those that weren't used to the comfort of the forest ground.

She headed over to where they were serving breakfast, mind on the forest she missed.

((I have strept. It seems I'm getting over it, but the last time I had it I ended up having a relapse. If I dissapear for a couple of days, that's probably the reason. That or the hotel internet isn't working. Sorry! I should be able to get on here, but...))

"Score!!!" I let out a crow o' victory as vamp boy goes up in smoke, grabbin' up Yen and spinnin' her 'round in the air. "Heh, that's one less beasty ta deal with, ya?" I set Yen down and hop over ta Runner, "C'mere, you, ya don't get left outta this victory dance!" Just like before, I pick her on up and spin her 'round, wrinklin' my nose as she touches down ta the floor. "Runner, hun, try not to get so excited when the fighting starts... ya smell like a predator!"

Seems ta me I've sniffed this kinda scent on her before, but I can't really remember... meh, I doubt it's important. Now wasn't Yen askin' me 'bout somethin' before I got all gung-ho over my fireball? Right, right! The spider webs! Hey, that gives me an idea...

"Wanderer, ain't we havin' trouble ventin' heat?"

"Yes, Shaed. There is quite alot of hot air in your proximity at the moment." I stop a moment, wonderin' if it meant somethin' by that, but shrug it off.

"Ok, good. Focus all the extra heat inta the plating around the webbing."

"Doing that won't cause it to radiate any faster. In fact, the reduced surface area will cause the heat to radiate off more slowly." There's just a lil' pause as it follows my line o' reason. "But it will probably burn up the webs. Now initiating internal heat transfer."

"You got him!!" Yen gasped as Shaed finally set her down and went to grab the Runner swinging her in his victory dance. It was hard to believe the encounter was really over.....

Then he ordered Wanderer to remove the spider webs using the extra heat being generated inside the ship...and she was so impressed she decided he deserved a promotion, the next chance she got she would make him first mate...and then she would....well, save those thoughts for later, the Runner had an odd expression on her face.

"Runner, are you OK?" she asked worriedly. The vampire's sudden disappearance was having a strange effect on her...

"Yeah... yeah, I'm fine it's just... I was contacting Faelyn. Elindra... Elindra got a little headway and... she's worried about him. It affected me. I'm not sure he's gone for good though. From what I've- gotten from Elindra's memories, he can shapeshift into many things... probably he's switched to a state in which he can stand it." After a thought, she smiled, "But we can take out Adrian now..." she was taken up in a mad dance. Wherever you are, Runner, you'd better be glad your friends didn't notice our little switch. As long as you stay put and I go undetected, they'll be fine.

------

With a gasp, I thought at Faelyn, She's tricked them! They think she's me! And she's threatening me with their lives!

I grin, tail risin' up in approval. "Now yer talkin'! Ain't no reason ta hold back, so lets get out there and rip him apart, claw ta claw!"

"The webbing is burning off, as expected, but the hordes of bats and spiders are still present. If the vampire is not dead, as Runner suggests, exiting the safety of my walls may be inadvisable."

"Oh cork it, ya overgrown junk pile! How're we supposed ta dig our fangs in proper with all this metal in between!?" I appeal ta the two gals, "C'mon, c'mon! I'll show ya how a real Jhozian brawler fights!"

One by one they were waking up. "Faelyn, don't wait for anyone else. Have something to eat with that coffee. You must be hungry."

Sarona was next to wake. "Sarona, come have breakfast."

Once everyone had something to eat in front of them we could begin discussing our next step. We would be leaving once I collected the new cloak Mr. Harmonik was making for me and darkness fell.

Taking a place at the table I poured a cup of coffee, filled a plate with a couple of biscuits and an apple, and began eating. Sarona was making her way over to the table; still looking tired.

Lumiana was still sleeping. That one worried me. I had given her a cursory going over last night and hadn't found anything amiss. I would have to check again after we finished eating. For now her breathing was steady if a bit shallower than I would have liked. She didn't seem to be in physical distress. Maybe this was something mental.

It didn't take me but a second when Riven said don't wait. I filled a bowl with the steaming hot cereal and poured honey over it. The biscuits looked hot and fresh so I took one of those and spread butter on top of it, split it open and poured honey on the inside.

The hot cereal and biscuit hit the spot. I was ravenous. I started slowing down halfway through eating. Wouldn't do me any good to gorge myself.

"Riven, how's Lumiana this morning. Do you think she's going to be able to travel with us? She's the only one that knows where the black box is inside of the Firestorm Volcano."

Sarona was awake now and making her way over to the table.

"Mornin' Sarona. You don't look like you slept very well. Is everything okay?"

"Yes... let's get the little piece of ral. I'm tired of him invading my mind. Besides, Wanderer... he's weaker in everything but resistance to something remotely similar to the sun. He can stand the sun... but has no power. We can get Adrian now and then wait until he no longer has an adviser." After a thought, she added, "Without Adrian... he might be willing to switch to our side. From what I can gather from her memories... he doesn't like Jadis."

------

Faelyn... did you hear me? She's tricked them! Panic shone blindingly through my voice- thought.

Yenomeht looked nervously from Shaed to the Runner, "Are you both nuts? I'm taking Wanderer's advice, and avoiding those two until sunrise forces them to leave, or kills them both."

She turned a worried gaze on Shaed, too concerned to pay much attention to a subtle shift in the Runner's persona..."I wish you wouldn't think about leaving the ship, either....if that fireball of yours didn't really destroy the vamp, I'm not so sure you can defeat him, especially on your own out there."

"Wanderer, is there any sign of Jadis' henchmen that you can detect?" she questioned the ship.

She seated herself at the table. "I don't like this sort of bed, as you call it." She took a little of the offered food, only paying as much attention to make sure it wasn't meat. Home seemed so far away... "I didn't sleep well."

Wanderer scanned, "The boy called Adrian appears to be sulking and planning somewhat near here. There is no sign of the vampire's mental signature."

"I'll try... he'll be open to me if he's out there..." You were right. I got in. I'm trying to get them out of this chunk of metal. You'll stay alive no matter what I have to do... but the worm you call a boy is free meat. Are you alright? She gasped, "He's not there. There's not even a block. He's just... he must have flown away or something..." she looked at Yen and decided to try to convince her it was safe, "With the three of us, I'm sure we could take down Adrian alone. With... the vampire... we wouldn't. It'd be too much. But Adrian's a wimp- a bully. When someone's shielded, he can hardly do anything." A rush of blood lust swept through her for a second, "He deserves to die."

As I was taking another bite Runner invaded my thoughts again. She seemed desparate! I called out to her... "Runner, what can I do from here... it's almost daylight out, were they killed? I 'could' try and contact Yen... she would remember me... maybe she could hear me. I will try."

Taking a sip of my coffee I closed my eyes as if I were relishing the taste and pleasure it was bringing to me and called to Yen sending it out on a breeze. I didn't know how far it would travel. I concentrated even harder and called loudly to her like I did with Runner... "Yen, can you hear me... you're in trouble... Runner isn't who she appears to be... another has taken her over... she is desparate to get back... can you hear me???" And then I opened my eyes, smiled, and waited.

"Sarona, sorry you didn't sleep very well... maybe our next accomodations will fair you better."

When she had walked around me to sit I saw the rip in her cloak again. She wasn't even trying to hide it. The scars... what could they have come from? Had she been beaten by the guards on the ship before it crashed on Charon 5?

"Uh, Sarona, did you know that you had a rip in your cloak? Would you want to have that repaired? I'm sure someone here could patch it up for you. Your skin is showing and if we have to travel by day before we reach Firestorm then your skin will be terrible burned. It will probably make your scars swell as well."

Risking our somewhat standoffish friendship I decided to ask... "Would you like to share the story behind your scars with us?"

I sat quietly... waiting... for Yen... for Sarona... this would be a turning point for all of us...

Adrian perked up An unfamiliar thought signal from somewhere else heading to the ship? Are there more here we could go after? I should have checked for this previously... He redirected the thought to himself, Yen, can you hear me... you're in trouble... Runner isn't who she appears to be... another has taken her over... she is desparate to get back... can you hear me???

Adrian hissed and replied to the unknown person, I don't know how you found out about the little switch, sweetie... But I promise- you will learn to regret it. I assume Runner dreamwalked you? Well... as soon as things are done here- we'll come find you. Don't try to send any more messages to the ship... or I'll come to you sooner.

Sending the message, he stood and glared at the ship. "Quorking spider webs. I'll have to take things into my own hands." Meditating once more, Adrian projected an image of Necunoscot. The vampire looked as solid as if he were there. "Welcome back."

------

Visuals began to come back to the ship. Necunoscot appeared again by Adrian, "Welcome back."

Elindra blinked and shook her head, "He couldn't have been that close... I would have found him- even if I couldn't get in."