Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
MarianFrae

Charon 5 (official)

I blink at her. "Um, you sure you know your stuff, hun? Telekinesis is the ability ta exert physcial force usin' your mind. Don't matter if you're pushin', pullin', stoppin' or goin', it's all telekinetic and it's all basically the same thing. And if I can't get even these simple things down, there ain't much point in me tryin' ta stop bullets, ya savvy?" I grimace, a bit surprised I could actually remember all that junk my old man tried ta teach me 'bout the mental arts.

Yen picked up the metal ball with her claws, reaching out to see how far away her hands would be while still able to lift it. Then she balanced it on them, a few inches above her fingertips, looking at the scratches she had incised on the surface a few moments earlier.

"Shaed, can you carve this metal with your real claws? Try and do it with mental claws, just concentrate as though you have them, and see if it works."

Cefiyaen tunnels - Faelyn, Sarona, Tek-Zem, Lennie, Riven Silver

((The air wasn't supposed to get colder and damper, but I guess its okay. Remember though, that Cefiyaens don't really enjoy water, so it probably would'nt be very logical if one of their rooms was so humid.))

I slithered in after the congregation of females, hoping that they could overcome the final task with whatever abilities and tools they had in their enigmatic arsenals. The pathway was barely lit, but my optical sensors easily adjusted to the pitch blackness of the tunnel... I could even see thin layers of wild fungi hanging from the slippery walls and carpeting the gently-sloping ground.

As we moved deeper down, it grew uncomfortably chilly and damp, the moisture clung vehemently to my exoskeleton, weighing me down, as the numbing cold drove me to the brink of hibernation, but I proceeded, the almost-utter darkness around me comforting me and pushing me forward.

A burst of pain shot through my cranium as light invaded my eyestalks, shoving the comforting blackness away, and piercing deep into my thoughts...

It also awoke the semi-sentient Gleethu Fungus body that had been resting in a corner of the room. The creature was a gigantic mess of viscous slime, inquisitive tendrils and hissing spore bodies... The carbon-based predator was plainly hungry, and with suprising speed, it lunged forward to attack the assorted cluster of surface-dwellers, its acidic mucous and dextrous tentacles reacting with as much hostility to the glow from the Druid's illuminating instrument as I would have done, had I just met these alien beings.

In the split second before action was required, I wondered why the Cefiyaens would keep such a creature in their midst since from the look of things at the tunnel entrance they had just recently made it to the surface of the planet. Having already charged my staff to create minimal light to dispell the pitch blackness I reversed it sending a charge into the seeking tendril. The mucous, being wet, was an excellent conductor sending the charge coursing over the fungus which gave it pause.

Taking advantage of the moments respite I reversed my staff again holding it high then planting it firmly on the ground between us I mumbled the trigger, "tampa," producing a barely perceivable dome shield over the five of us.

Addressing Tek-Zem I asked, "What is the requirement for this test? Is the death of the fungus you have been keeping for what appears to be quite some time really necessary? Is simply subduing it an option?"

"Right, I'll give it a shot." I retract my real claws and focus hard on my hand, thinkin' hard on the solidity and sharpness of Jhozian claws, tryin' ta feel 'em extendin' from my hand. When I'm sure I've got it, I take a swipe. The rush o' air makes the ball roll a lil' ways, but nothin' else. Another swipe. Another. Another. Focus hard, and swipe!

The ball splits and falls inta two even pieces. At first I'm 'bout fit ta burst, but then I realize I'd been concentratin' so hard on clawin' the ball that my real claws'd popped out. My tail twitches with dissappointment. "It ain't easy, for sure."

"Yes, mental is correct. There is no way to literally touch the physical with the mental. All physical things have a psychic base- a psychic code. That is the difference between telekinesis and deflection. Telekinesis is not working with the Psi that exists already but is, instead, forcing a New Psi code to react with the Old. What Yen just did is she forced the Psi code apart by pushing a New Psi code into it. The New joined with the old making two Psi parts of one. I believe that if you look closely at the one she cut and the one you cut, Yen's will appear much smoother than yours does at the break. You would have to look at it with your Third Eye, zooming in your vision.

"Training with physical will prepare you not only for mental attacks but physical attacks as well. Say Yen and I are occupied and don't see a bullet coming our way. If you've only trained against mental attacks, the only thing you could do is step in front of the bullet. But if you've trained against projectiles, you can protect us easily- and you can protect yourself against mental attacks as well. Mental is easier than seemingly physical." Teacher teacher. Can you teach me too? Teach me how to get out of there. My brow furrowed for a second before I pushed her into silence again and cooled my features.

((Psyche = Mind in the english language. Phsychic translates to something like 'of the mind.' Basically, nothing that doesn't actually have a mind can possess any form of phsychic potential, latent or otherwise, even if psi existed in the first place. It simply contradicts the defenition of the term.))

I scratch at my chest, disinterested. "Well I'm glad you're feelin' it, cause I'm sure not. You're welcome ta try'n get Yen ta play matrix with ya if ya please, but I'll stick with the balls." A smirk, part wonderin' if anyone'd get a reference made to a movie that'd been gone for centuries, part preparation for what's ta come.

((Could'nt think of anything better for another trial. XD Anyway the fungus is also a cave-dwelling creature, its not from the surface, definitely. Suppose its kept there for trials and things...))

Cefiiyaen tunnels - Faelyn, Sarona, Tek-Zem, Lennie, Riven Silver

I looked over at Tez-Mar briefly, and we communed hastily with our innate telepathic link. The decisive nature of the third challenge left little time for gesturing.

"The esteemed female Tez-Mar decides that you may incapacitate the fungus in any way possible, for at least fifteen or so of your minutes... Killing it would be acceptable, but not mandatory." I signed to the group of females, directing crystal-mediated telepathy at them as I did so.

The fungus seemed unfazed by the electrical assault, though it was stunned, the jolt did no major damage. It resumed its sticky attack, now bashing tendrils against the shield, creating dull thuds against the bastion as the carbon-based lifeform tried to shatter it by brute force.

Acidic mucus began to splash everywhere, some of it landing on the magical barrier as well. The stone around us began to smoke and sizzle as the caustic slime ate at the molecules. I stepped back hastily, behind the weighty female, lest I too would suffer a similar fate, and be seared by the corrosive fluids.

Yen picked up the two dissected metal balls and looked closely, the Runner appeared to be correct. Then she handed the four halves to Shaed asking "Can you use that fire spell to fuse these back together again, like welding?"

These new skills were tickling her fancy, she got a grandious notion that they could build an entire ship from scratch without mechanical tools using psionic powers, and maybe a better one....

((Psi and Psy are two different things. ;) psy is supernatural, psi is natural. And there have been plenty of scientific studies proving that anything non-synthetic has a readable "mind" pattern. Not a stretch, sweetheart.))

I shrugged, "Fine. Yen? You ready?"

Wanderer Starship, Maintenance Bay - Shaed, Yen, Runner

((Assuming that psi is an abrreviation for psionics, then no, they're not different in the slightest. Psionics are basically psychic powers given a new name by RP Gamers, the word coming into common use shortly after D&D handbooks made it popular. It's possible that you read some author somewhere who came up with his own definition, and you're free to do the same, but so far as English goes you're out of luck. And while I'm sure your studies are very convincing, you're gonna have to link a URL before I'm ready to believe that rocks and such have the potential for anything resembling thought.))

"Weldin'?" The idea kinda strikes my fancy. "Now there's a thought! Wanderer, gimme a little flame ta work with, like before." The ship obliges wordlessly, and I take both halves to the console, beginning the incantation. "Rise, rise, rise! Burning passion, feller of angels and creation of all things, enter into this world to rage as fire!" A fireball forms up from the little flickers in no time. Hrm, but the thing's not suited ta weldin'... more likely ta explode than lay on a controlled heat. I grunt and let the ball fade away, tryin' ta reach back inta my mind for some other fire skills.

"Sure, I guess." a notion crossed Yen's mind about playing dead again, but she thought better of it.

After watching Shaed for a moment, he didn't quite seem to get the hang of anything new yet, she walked to the center of the maintenance bay, standing near one of the targets.

Cefiiyaen tunnels - Faelyn, Sarona, Tek-Zem, Lennie, Riven Silver

I was shocked and amazed at what I was seeing. As the light from Riven's quarterstaff lit the room a huge gelatinous mass started coming toward us with tenticles and goop sloshing everywhere. In a split second Riven said something like "tampa" and hit the ground with her staff and a dome fell over all of us. The oozing mass came rushing up on us and started spewing goop all over the dome. I could see the smoke coming from the places on the ground where it hit.

Riven was talking with Tek-Zem as I hypnotically watched the goop flying everywhere. The only thing I heard was Tek-Zem saying we needed to incapacitate that thing.

"Riven, Sarona, Lennie... any idea how we can stop this thing. I've got my rifle but it doesn't look like bullets would have any affect on it at all. Sarona, you have your cape... I have one in my pack... would these be effective in stopping the goop from getting on us? How are we going to incapacitate that thing. I have nothing in my pack or pouch that would even come close to doing the job. Anyone have any ideas?"

I looked to the group to see what answers we could come up with.

Having dealt with bumbling scientists in my home village I had anule with me. Being composed of sodium bicarbonate, calcium, magnesium, potassium, manganese and iron it would neutralize the acidic mucous, but I needed a way to spread it and keep it in the air for as long as possible to ensure complete coverage. Rapidly running through my options I hit upon feliz, an air elemental I had befriended as much as anyone can befriend an elemental.

Feliz would be able to pass through the shield, but the jar of anule would not. Though I would continue to be shielded because of my contact with the staff the others wouldn't as soon as it lost contact with the ground. As Faelyn said Sarona was wearing a rather large cape as it hung in huge folds. It would have to do.

"Here's a plan. I will call an air elemental to create a whirlwind to distribute the anule I have with me. It will neutralize the acid, but I have to drop the dome shield in order to do it. The shield will surround me as I'll still have contact with my quarterstaff as I use it to combat the tentacles. If Sarona will turn her back to me and open her cape to the fullest extent she can shield the rest of you temporarily if you huddle close together. If any of the acid isn't neutralized before it reaches the cape, she will have to discard it and get another. Once it's neutralized we need to subdue it somehow. Maybe cut off the tentacles and tie them up in what remains of the cloak. What say you?"

Gesturelessly, I watched the females combat the fungus, feeling inclined to inform the females about the properties of Gleethu Fungus, though I could not do so, for fear of incurring Tez-Mar's wrath... But the thick, serpentine-green acid had formed a thick outer coat against the magical barrier, impeding my vision...

The one named Riven Silver was powerful, her magical expertise could rival any decent Cefiyaen caster's.

"I don't think my cloak's long enough. It's not folded in too many places." She was tempted to add and it wasn't a cape, but that wouldn't have achieved anything. "It's only a little larger than me. There's not a lot of material to it."

"Alright." I lifted the gun and began shooting at her while running around. I would only have been a blur- if even that to her. I shot at points all over her body. If done correctly, the bullets wouldn't even be broken when deflected.

Yen had no idea what she was supposed to do, and then the Runnner was firing multiple foam bullets that were hitting her and bouncing off, like a myriad of tiny nerf balls. She stood there, amidst the pelleting of foam, and tried to concentrate, while wondering humorously where the Runner had gotten credentials as a Psionic Instructor. "Oh, well," she thought, "her last suggestion worked on Shaed."

She stared at the incoming ammo, her third eye wide open, and oddly the projectiles began to slow down, slower, until they appeared to be drifting toward her like a swarm of fireflies, and as long as she remained motionless, she could see them suspended moving very slowly as if they were traveling through thick honey.

"Hmmm, I guess I can see at light speed at least" she surmised.

Experimentally, she noted a group of several bullets traveling in sync, and extended her claws to take a swipe at them....the instant she moved any muscles besides her eyes the vision sped up again, and she was struck by the foam balls she had just witnessed at slow speed, with the exception of the few she had targeted, which now lay in shreds on the maintenance bay floor.

"Alright, no moving" Yen stared at the bullets the Runner was firing all over the place until they appeared to slow down again, still having a strange firefly like appearance, each surrounded by a sight halo of energy. She remained still as the projectiles moved toward her in slow motion.

She concentrated, in a effort to block their trajectory as the Runner had instructed, but none of them slowed any further.

She tried harder, as the distance gradually narrowed between her and the closest incoming fire, felt a slight tightening as her muscles tensed in spite of her attempt to remain still. Her vision continued to be focused, and she could sense her own energy tingling up her spine spreading across her back and shoulders.

There was a unfamiliar flutter, and suddenly the slow moving bullets were changing direction, all of them turned slightly, changing to a counterclockwise motion, surrounding her in a circle of gunfire, Yen being untouched by it, directly in the center, like the eye of a storm.

Not another bullet reached her person.

To the third eye, she has wings, fanning slightly, preventing anything from reaching her at close range.

Eventually, the first bullets fired began to slow, as they would normally, reaching the limits of their intended range while traveling the circle, and dropped to the floor.

((wings? lol. coolies. Are they ACTUAL wings? Or just appear to be?))

I ceased my fire and grinned, "Very nicely done, Yen. Let's see if you can duplicate that twice more, shall we? Then you can work on the body Psi melding with the weight balls." I glanced over at Shaed doing his silly trick with the balls, "Shaed, tried to block any communication with me out of your mind."

Wanderer Starship, Maintenance Bay - Shaed, Yen, Runner

Hells! Psi is some truly fearsome stuff! If Runner can do things like this bullet shiftin' trick, then the both of 'em have even less ta fear from guns than I do! Well, almost I guess. They probly actually have ta know they're bein' fired on ta defend themselves. But whos ta say they don't got senses for that too?

Hrm, and here I can't even shift one little metal ball 'round... I gaze at the thing, findin' that I can see further, clearer than I could before. Takin' hold o' the new vision, I and dive deeper. Eventually lets me see the individual atoms o' the metal. They sit there, buzzin' softly ta themselves... and it strikes me that I can do things with 'em! Channeling fire magic in its most basic form, I give all my attention to the tiny buzzin' globes. They virbrate in response. Harder, louder! Takin' on energy until they finally break from one another and begin flowin' around like water.

I blink, sense returnin' ta normal, as I watch the melted ball resolidify into a glowing metal lump on the console. Heh, suppose I can't do the sorts o' tricks the other two seem ta be pickin' up, but I think a few new doors might be openin' up if I can figure out better ways to use fire magic and psi as a single technique!

I noticed Shaed was too focused on the ball to hear me... but he was... smelting with his mind, "Hey, Hot Head! Good job! That could be extrememely useful! And it shows you're experimenting! Did ya hear what I said earlier? Or were you too focused?"

(Yen's wings are mental, of course, and telekentic, like the claws. They can fan, to keep things away from her similar to a shield spell, and possibly levitate briefly, or teleport, occasionally.)

Yen looked around, seeing Shaed melt the metal ball, "well that's as good as welding", she thought, admiringly.

Then she caught sight of the edge of one mental energy wing, extending from her shoulder to the tip of her fingers when her arm was outstretched. She could feel herself waving them slightly, they seemed to be growing stronger, and she waited for the Runner to proceed with the next hail of bullets.