Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
serendipity

modern-day slavery

since the beginning of recorded history slavery has existed in one form or another...the master would dictate to the slave and the slave would comply with those dictates...the slave lived to serve the master...

in today's world, we spend a significant amount of time utilizing some form of electronic equipment or another...ipods, mobile phones, laptops/computers, television...these are the things by which we organize our lives...they dictate and we follow...

have we become slaves to the things that were designed to give us more personal freedom?...if we had to let go of all those devices for one month...would we be able to?...

this is partially serious and partially silly...what are your thoughts...

s

Some people, of course, do not own all/any of these things. But; if we took away everything-my thoughts; of course we'd be able to survive.

If you scrape away everything in a human being's life, then really, natural instincts will take over. Sure, we might go insane, but we'd survive without all of these things. I think they've stayed what they were made for...personal freedom...

although, some people are majorly addicted. But we'd survive it.

@emma - ever read "the lord of the flies"...interesting take on how the instincts truly kick...a good read...

i think we'd survive as well, but isnt it interesting to see how much we truly depend on those things?...

s

it actually depends on your lifestyle. for example, you're into sports, then maybe you can do away with electronic devices.

when i gave birth to my baby, i just stayed beside her all day for a month i think. so electronic devices can be ignored depending on your interest ;)

I get a trial period. Almost every year we have a major power shortage and are without all those things for a week or more. Life becomes very simple. At first I raged against it. But now I have learned to enjoy the providential time of peace.

I went camping last weekend (we usually go twice a year).

No computers, TVs, radios, iPODs, phones...just a campfire, nature trails, and a river. I must say, I really enjoy having a few days with nothing electronic occupying my time. By the end of the weekend, I really wasn't itching to get back to "civilization".

I think it is possible to do without them for some period (if your job does not need them or if you are off). :) When the hurricanes hit I lose power a get a chance to take a break from them, but voluntarily giving them up for a week to commune with nature is much more fun. :D

I will admit: I love the Internet!! I probably couldn't live without it forever (wow, imagine leaving Am forever D:) but I could definitely live without it for a certain period of time.

I think my first experience living without modern technology was during that huge black-out in 2004(?) I was staying over at my aunt and uncle's place for a few weeks and was there at the time of the power outage. My aunt and uncle had to work because my aunt is a nurse and my uncle worked at a country-wide bank (since other parts of the country weren't affected, they still had to operate to some extent); so, that left me and my two cousins alone at home with no power for about 2 days.

It was a little difficult finding things to do, mostly because there wasn't really anywhere to go (since almost all businesses and stores were closed and we had no car and not enough bikes for the three of us). We ended up playing games for most of the time - one of my cousins even taught me how to play mahjong. The only electronic item we had was a little battery-operated radio, which we kept on to listen to music or to the news. Then, in the evening when my aunt and uncle came home, we all went outside to relax. The other people in the neighbourhood were doing the same thing and it's something I never saw before, with everyone outside, the adults talking to each other and the children playing together. It was all very peaceful and very enjoyable.

The only hard part about that time was that there was no air conditioning (and this was in the middle of the summer) and we were told to not open the fridge or freezer unless we really had to (in order to keep the food inside cold). So, you know, we ended up eating stuff like dry cereal and drinking tap water straight from the tap (bleh...) Otherwise, it was a good experience.

Last summer, some friends and I went camping and it was FUN! Well, it probably would have been more fun if so many things hadn't gone wrong, but let's leave that aside for now. The only electronic item we had was our stereo, which we used to play music. The only things I missed during that time were modern toilets and having a shower close by (we had to walk about 10 mins. to get to the campground's showers). Still, I would do it again for sure if I had the chance :D

I could do without it. My parents limit me to an hour a day anyway, so I don't think I would really miss it. But technology in general is, well, addictive if not enslaving. I can say that I spend alot of time listening to my MP3 player, CD player, and watching TV. But I think we all reach a point where we just get tired of being overburdened by technology and just have to let go :)

I don't know if I could live without certain electronics. I love my music and I like listening to it every single day, because it helps my day feel a lot better. My computer and TV I could live without for a while since I look at both things way too much anyway, but I'm not sure about my stereo. :lol:

@argoyle, Yay backpaking and camping are the ultimate escape. Were you anywhere near a fishing place too. That is the most relaxing/exciting (I know an oxy-moron) thing there is to do in my book. No electricity required.

There are some things I would have a problem giving up: laundry machine, dishwasher, vacuum, etc. Those sorts of labor saving devices are good things. My cell phone on the other hand, I never have on, my TV is easy to turn off, don't have an ipod, but I would miss my radio. Still if I had enough books - I would need nothing at all.

well, we have a television we never watch...unless we put on a movie...i have a cell phone that is always on silent/vibrate so i always miss calls...i love my ipod/music...the only that i will get lured by is my computer...i do a lot of things online and i often am logged into various things while i am away from the computer...

i like camping but i really really dont like bugs...and the last time i went fishing i threw the pole into the water...*sighs*...i love the outdoors but i am not the most graceful creature...but it's never a dull moment when i am around i have been told...;)

s

I don't think we'll ever be 'slaves' under something that doesn't have a mind to control you with anyway. Computers are 'smart' because a programmer programmed them to be 'smart'. Ipods can do various things because someone programmed them to be smart. If anything the only 'master/slave' system between technology and the consumer is the consumer his/her self. After all, who buys the ipod or the internet plan? So, it's not the technology that's enslaving you, but you yourself who is possibly 'enslaving' yourself. Ipods/computers/etc. are merely mediums for us to use. Whether we use it properly (as in moderately) or excessively (like a game addict) is entirely our choice.

I think if you forcefully took all technology away from us: we would survive, but we would have a lot of trouble to adapt. I think it's harder to adapt to less technology.

Does that make sense? lol.

@ktc - absolutely...we choose to enslave ourselves with things that we have a certain degree of faith in to provide us more time for family, recreation, whatever it is we feel we need more time for...

i choose a less demanding relationship with my procrastination...he doesnt ask me to do anything, doesnt say "oh, wait you forgot!"...nope...he just lets me sit on a stick like a marshmallow...toasty on the outside, warm and gooey on the inside...

the problem is that technology factors into so much our daily lives so that, as ktc pointed out, it is significantly more difficult to adapt to a reduction in that technology...

*sighs*...a lot of us would flounder in a society where there was NO technology whatsoever...

s

true, we would flounder. but the thing is: We don't live in a non tech era. We live in an era where tech is constantly evolving as we find new ways to do things etc.

I don't see why we would have to get use to living without tech, when tech is never going really leave us since we love our tech. To forcefully remove ourselves from tech: it would probably mean WWIII complete with nuke blasts or something of that scale.

yes, but it is interesting to consider how much of a balance we do/do not have when it comes to daily living...of course, that balance fluctuates from person to person...

lol...i had to re-read your post because i originally thought it said "nut blasts"...oddly enough i just thought it was one of your quirky comments...

s

I like electronics as much as anyone...but my dream is to build a cabin high on a mountain and live there with just what nature provides. I live on a farm right now and have cows and a big garden. I'm outside more than I am inside. It would be hard to do without the washing machine, refrigerator and freezer...but somehow people did without them in the past.

We would survive :)

Amen Whooopdeeeedo, If the mountain has trout lakes, I'll live around the other side from you. We can send smoke signals to each other and have a farmers market at the top of the mountain.:)

@whoop - i used to have that same dream...i still do to a certain extent...my work has me in constant contact with people of varying ages and backgrounds and at the end of the time i am so utterly spent that i want nothing but quiet...

i enjoy the company of others in limited quantity and time, but i live in my thoughts and i enjoy spending time with them as well...

s

I guess in a sense we have become slaves to the things that were initially designed to give us more personal freedom.

As for what we'd be able to do, if we let go of all devices for a month?

The possibilities are endless, I'd think. Firstly, people would be more active and possibly would spend more time with the family. It may be a time where we could clear our heads and find our true bearings, without any technological or work-related stressors, seeing as how many jobs now-a-days rely on computers, etc.

It'd definitely be good for the environment. I think also it may remind people of how far the human race has come, which will hopefully, make more people grateful and appreciative of what they have; in a sense grounding everybody and letting them get in touch with what people of the past had to do, in order to get to where we are. Kind of like an homage to those before us.