Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Aeternus

Roleplay Revival!!

HBT used to be filled with all sorts of different RPs, but unfortunately, they all seem to have died and I haven't seen many new ones in a while. As a lover of RPs, I hate to see this and want to bring the art of roleplaying back to Am.

I'd be willing to organize and start up another RP thread or two but there's one problem: I'm lacking in ideas! So I turn to everyone else to ask if anyone else has ideas that we could use - this is especially good for those of you who always wanted to start an RP but never knew how ;)

If I don't get anything, I may go ahead and bring back Insurrection (a previous RP I had before it died) or the Aveyond-in-The-Wizard-of-Oz RP we talked about a few months ago, I believe. But, you know, if anyone else has any story ideas, please post them! :)

Hey, I've been thinking of starting a new RP. I have some rough unformed ideas, but they've not materialized yet. Plus, I've no idea how to run an RP. Wanna team up?

Looks like a great group Aeternus.

@LordMaeglin if we go for quality not quantity, we shouldn't have to post all that often.

@s Aeternus will let us know when she is ready

@LordMaeglin

As Oracle said, quality of quantity ;) If anything, a good roleplayer takes their time in replying instead of rushing and posting a badly-written, two-sentence kind of post. Besides, many RPs have many opportunities for people to fill all sorts of roles (at least, that's how I try to make them XD)

@serendipity

MarianFrae and I are working on a roleplaying tutorial for those who are interested but have no clue how to actually participate XD We hope it'll help but in the meantime, if you're ever interested in trying, I'm always open to questions.

@all

It's good I'm getting at least some response! I was worried roleplaying was becoming dead here. Anyway, Mae and I will work on her idea for an RP and I have an idea for another (I'm currently figuring out the logistics of it but it's coming along).

EDIT:

@rugwithlegs

We posted at the same time XD

Anyway, if you'd like to see how RPs work, you can look at the ones we have lying around here in HBT. Everyone takes turns in posting their own character's part - their actions, words, thoughts, etc. Each RP seems to have its own activity level. The more active ones would probably require you to post a little more often because there's only so much other characters can do without leaving your character behind in the story ^^; However, most people are usually understanding that not everyone can post every day so, really, it's more like you post when you can.

I'm not too good at being in RPs anymore (D=), but I could probably help run one... You know, steer the players to the next place and all. My main issue is worrying about what other people are planning, but if I'm helping running the thing, I'll know what's supposed to happen next, right? ^.^

Plus, I'm almost always on. Generally ghosting, though... But always reading posts. Because I have no life.

(Get it? Ghost? No life? Yeah. XD)

Is there anything on the type of story? I went over the list of registered characters, and there's alot of stealth type characters, dragons and Sailor Moon characters listed. I'd like to register a character, but I don't want to be the only human in a party of all dragons...

@Rena

What do you mean you're not good anymore? Once an RPer, always an RPer XD As long as you can write decently, you'll do fine! (although as a side note, I've found that you can almost never predict or direct where characters go so I stopped trying, lol)

@rugwithlegs

Most people posted those profiles for other RPs. Some people reuse their characters in more than one RP but some choose to create a new character for every RP they're in. It really depends ^^ (And don't worry, I'm pretty sure your character won't be the only human...there are plenty! And if not, we can make them)

I'm a biiiig fan of RPs, though I can't run one even if my life depended on it. However, I join almost any RP where I'm allowed to be myself, with no restrictions. I work best in those kinds of RPs. If they have too many restrictions...well...I'll probably join, but you won't see much of me in there. I'll just post when I can post whatever I want. So that's my number #1 rule for me: Don't Give Too Many Restritions!

Well, I'm not saying that I don't want any order in an RP, I'm saying I don't want TOO many restrictions. Like where they tell you exactly how they want the RP to go. It's not fun that way.

What type of restrictions are you talking about?

Obviously, there needs to some sort of guidelines on the character types and what can be used. You don't want spaceships flying around if it set in the Stoneage. And I think it would help to have to some sort of set objective otherwise no one knows what's going on.

I don't like people making changes to their character's skill sets without talking to me first because that can be greatly abused. Also... I have to have set things that need to happen... but I'm not going to yell at you if you stray off the path... I don't know of anyone who does that... if there are- they might as well just write it themselves. If you're talking radical restrictions- NO ONE on this site does those.

Well, there are some rules that I just don't like.

My #1 least fav:

"Ok. I want you to do this, you can do this, and you need to stay away from this person here. I control everything in this RP, you have no right to disobey me."

And I'm not saying that there are people like that here, but I have seen them before, and I find them EXTREMELY annoying.

Hmm, that would defeat the purpose of a roleplay, wouldn't it? That's definitely not fun.

My #1 pet peeve is when people aren't realistic about things. For example, if your character is 13, they shouldn't be a master swordsman capable of defeating someone with, say, 30 years of experience with a sword unless there is a VERY good reason for it.

On a similar note, I also dislike it when people give their characters very unrealistic appearances. I don't mind giving a character one or two traits one wouldn't see in real life. For example, I gave my character Vega violet eyes. But I've seen people go into huge depth about their character's eyes, like "It starts as red in the centre and gradually fades into gold before ending in a rim of blue" or something weird like that. The only exception is, of course, if there's a good reason for it - like they're a non-human creature and those traits are typical of their species. Otherwise, it just looks weird in my mind's eye >_>

i'd have to agree with both of you.

unrealistic expectations which make roleplay more like role-work are the worst thing... and should be shunned imo.

unrealistic characteristics or abilities for a particular class are hard to play with... because you have nothing to truly base your reactions on.

I also hate unrealistic reactions... but those are just in general... heh.

But yeah, now that I get what you're saying, Poke... I definitely understand and empathize.