Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lord_Maeglin

Afterlife?

After thinking about this for several days, I canme to the conclusion that I don't believe in life after death. And I have logic to back it up.

1)I belive that the notion was coined by early people who constantly had to deal with death, thus naturally feared it. And that idea of an afterlife became commonplace for major religions.

2)Since our idea of an afterlife involves us still percieving, hearing, and thinking in a different reality than the one we live on earth, I tried to think of the closest thing to the opposite to that. Have you ever gone to sleep, and had such a deep rest that when you woke up, you thought you had just fallen asleep and you couldn't remember anything from the time you were asleep. This is similar to people who get knocked out or have coma's. I mean, you are still alive, and you don't even know you are alive, or that there is a world around you, or that anything exists.

3)So now, I just can't see that when your brain and heart stop, that you keep percieving. I mean, I think when you die, Its just like falling into that deep sleep, but you never wake up. You lose track of time and existance in that dark sleep, and ultimately become nothing.

But thats just my thoughts...:)

so how do you explain supernatural phenomena as it applies to life after death?...supposedly they are spirits they do not realize they dead or cannot leave because they choose not to (again, this is our human perception of it all)...or what about the "white noise" phenomenon?...

not sure if i truly have an opinion on life after death...but i do believe that we have "memories" of others that have gone before us...not past lives exactly...but more along the lines that certain "memories" and experiences are hard-coded into our DNA...which is why some people feel strongly compelled to be somewhere or do something that seems random...a calling of sorts...i feel that way about a lot of things...my family chuckles at some of my intense passions, but i just accept that they are part of something larger than myself that i am somehow connected to...

s

Hmm, but Im not saying that thats the way it is, cause nobody knows. Its just what I think.

I don't really belive in the supernatural. Im the sort of person that needs to see something to truely believe. I think that everything on earth that we can see and feel is really all there is in the universe, because, in the end, we will never walk and breath on another earth in the universe, so the rest doesn't matter. I mean, for millions of years, people have seen stuff, and there has never been anything truely supernatural.

And I agree with the fact that memories of people long gone can affect others, but thats just memories.

i know, i was just asking other extension questions (i am just a naturally curious person!)...

so you do not believe in a soul/spirit that is encased in a human body?...or do you think that the soul/spirit must also die because its "host" is no longer able to house it anymore?...

s

1. You say that early people feared death. Don't we also fear it, too? Well, maybe not all, but I know some do. And also what about those people who came up with the idea of rebirth?

2. As for perceiving, no one said you can really "perceive" things the way we do here on Earth. After all, many of the things taught by major religions are difficult to grasp by the human mind so they are explained in ways that we can understand them. What if things are different in the afterlife and we "perceive" things differently in a way that doesn't require our brain, heart, eyes, etc.?

From the religious perspective the Bible teaches in Eccl. That the dead know nothing, no pain, no working, no devising. The New Testament calls death a sleep. When we die we remain dead until the return of the Lord an that Great Resurection. So in a sense I agree with you Lord Maeglin, The dead are dead.

@ serendipity- Yeah, I guess. I mean, I think we come into the earth with the ability to become what we are, and the stuff around us makes us into what we are, and when we die, life simply ends in nothing, just as it began from nothing. I dunno, Its hard for me to be logical when I try to explain what I believe.

@ Oracle: Wow, I always assumed that christianity taught of heaven. I consider myself a christian and have even been in a church school for a while, but I don't go to church anymore, so my views are in a different perspective than the mainstream, sort of something of my own. But thats interesting.

@LordMaeglin, Most religions do teach that you die and go to heaven 'now'. But from everything I have studied, there is a great resurrection when we all wake up at the Lords coming and 'then' go to heaven(1Thess4:16-18 ). I give everyone the right to their own interpretation of the scriptures, but for me death is death until that day(Eccl.9:10). Even Lazarus when raised from the tomb remembered nothing. He didn't ever mention that he was a little upset at being brought back from heaven, if anyone would know about coming back it would be him. Please all remember this is just my opinion:loving:

i have heard the same things...that the souls are in a state of "stasis" or something until the gates of heaven are opened...which is why they always have all those prayers for the "souls of the departed"...

i'd like to think i would come back as some sort of ghostly entity...;)

s

@ Aeternus: i don't fear death and I'm not just saying that be be "cool" or whatever. Why should people fear death? its a natural part of life, the end. its not like you feel pain after death, thats what people fear more than death. Living forever would be monotonus, i wouldnt want to live forever. Maybe longer, but certainly not forever.

@ Meaglin/Oracle: Adventists (Oracle's religion) belives in heaven, But no "hell" (or the popular assumption of hell.) unlike catholics, Adventist believe that dead people stay dead until Christ comes in the second coming, in which he will raise all the dead people, and take the belivers with him to heaven. leaving the non-belivers on earth to die along with Satan. Catholics, which is the common perception of christianity, believe that as soon as you die, you either go to heaven or hell based on your life, beliefs and deeds, which means people are constantly going as soon as they die.

@ seredipity: Supernatural phenomena is supernatural because it hasnt been proven or explained, thats the point. White noise is just a random signal with a flat power spectral density. White noise can cut through other sounds, which is why it is used in sirens on police cars, and why some people like to sleep to it if they have problems sleeping because of noise. as for supernatural or unexplained things, does this have to relate to death? for centeries we had no ideas cells/atoms/etc. even exsisted. its possible theres are other things we have no idea exsist thay may have nothing to do with death/afterlife.

As for a soul, i think we're really just a bunch of electrical and chemical reactions all going at the same time. thats what you brain is after all... maybe theres is some extra component to humans that we cant see, but does it really matter? >_>

@nick - when i was younger, i taught catholic "sunday school" for teens...we talked about this with the nun who was our group leader and she explained it this way...all the souls go to purgatory...there is no real direct route to heaven...you pray for the souls that have deceased because the more you pray for them, the less time they spend in purgatory...it never made sense to me...because it was not the message that was being given to the children...the only ones who have that "direct" route to heaven are the saints and those who "die in God's grace and friendship and are perfectly purified"...they also define heaven as "this perfect life with the Most Holy Trinity - this communion of life with the Trinity, with the Virgin Mary, the angels, and the blessed"...

everyone else gets to go through that "purification process" known as purgatory...joyful, isnt it...just one of the reasons i chose to step away from the catholic church years ago...

(source: Catechism of the Catholic Church, Vatican City)

s

@Lord_Maiglin

uhuh.. i had this nightmare before.

i'm sitting on my bed together with my older sister,

the room is dark, but i can still see,

after a moment, a black thing passes in front of me,

of my body

after that everything turned into black,

i lost my consciousness, i can't move everything.

but that's only a dream. no! a nightmare

maybe it was how we feel after death.

feel?

@Nick

I didn't say everyone fears death - I said only some ^^ But death is one of the great unknowns of our lives and a lot of people fear the unknown. No one knows for sure what happens after we die and it's that uncertainty that scares some people (and also because some people fear that they haven't accomplished enough during their lives so they wish for more time when they feel death nearing ^^)

Thank you Nick. It's nice to know you look into things and pay attention to the little details of your friends:pals: You actually read my profile:)

@elonah, I have died in my dreams too and it wasn't that bad. I imagine it will just be like sleeping without dreams.

@ Oracle: i know so much about Adventistim because my mother is adventist and i was raised adventist, i am obviously, no longer adventist. It caught my eye on your profile. :] Ive always had a knack for religions.

LOL, Too 8). You probably know more about my lifstyle than anyone here then. You know what I think of those ghosts too :D but thats a different subject.

actually, im a bit confused about that. according to adventism: witchcraft, spirits, ect. are real, but of the Devil/fallen angels, usually you would shun the thought of fantasy, yet you play aveyond and the like?

@serendipity

yeah.........

that nightmare is horrible

. . . . though i kept that to myself for a longtime..that's why i give a lot of effort to make LUCID DREAMS every time i sleep.. i don't want that nightmare to repeat itself

Eh, i don't believe in afterlife.

Imo, afterlife implies you have religious beliefs of some sort. But, religious beliefs are hell to sort through concerning afterlife.

House of dust, tartarus/hades, beautiful west, heaven, hell (fire), hell (dante's inferno aka ice), purgatory, limbo, etc. almost every religion has some sort of afterlife belief.

But, i think afterlife thought is just to comfort us humans who fear the unknown. Most of us don't like thinking that we'll just die and decompose. There has to be something cuz we're that darn important/afraid! Sounds more like human arrogance, and/or their tendencies to try to explain everything first through supernatural means. (creation myths, how ___ got ___ legends, why ___ does ____ stories)

but there's nothing wrong with death as everyone will die eventually. So you'll end up decomposing/rotting into nothing, forgotten eventually. At least you won't feel it cuz you'll be dead ;) And when your dead, why would you care about your reputation? lol.

I believe in afterlife! I don't think I'm really scared of death... It's the pain I'm scared of :P...

There were those times that I have doubted life after death, but I'm pretty sure it's there. And I do hope I get to heaven and meet God...

Maybe when I die I'll tell you! :D;)

I don't get it why people say "the pain" of dying. It's not like you can feel anything or if you've actually tried dying.

About the "phenomenal" things...there's prolly a white cloth that got blown away at night and the people who saw it prolly think it was a ghost

I can't really tell if there's an afterlife or not. I'm a person who believes things when there's a scientific explanation behind it but I DO hope that we have a life after we die. It just doesn't make any sense why our 'life' will just 'stop'...know what I mean?

perhaps by pain of dying they are referring to the non-physical pain of having to let go...some people are ready to let go when they die...others are not...and letting go of anything can be a painful experience in and of itself...

s