Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mae

A Brief Guide to RP'ing

This guide will tell you what an RP is, and how to get involved in one. It will also give you some guidelines for what to do and what not to do in a forum RP. If the leader of the RP you're in says different than this guide, believe that leader for that RP. And for a more extensive and thorough guide, check THE LAYMAN'S GUIDE TO ROLEPLAY by Marian_Frae and Aeternus.

What is an RP?

And RP is in simple terms, a role play. People create characters (and register them at the ARCHIVE. Then people post in their chosen RP either as their characters or describing their actions.

And how do I get into one?

As for how to get into one, there are several ways, depending on the RP in question. Always chech the first post in the particular thread for instructions how to start playing. In some of them, you have to contact the leader, but some are open and anyone can post. A good place to visit in order to find RP's is the INDEX.

The do's and don't's of RPing

DON'T

-control other people's characters. You don't know them well enough to know what they're thinking. You don't know everything about their history. And controlling other people's characters includes such things as 'person A sees a red spot on person B's hand' (person A being another person's character). Maybe person A happens to be colour-blind and you didn't know that. Or they might just be looking the other way.

DO:

-keep OOC (out of character) talk to minimum. If you need to comment something not relating to the character's doings, keep those comments clearly separated from your in character -part of the post. I find double brackets (()) a very good way to do that. You may think of something else. But be consistent.

-rememeber that people may not be online at the same time as you, as this is an international community and people live on different timezones. Try to give everyone a chance to respond before you move on. Also, try to avoid two-way conversations that hog up the thread.

-describe, be elaborate, use a lot of words. Post long posts. Write a story, for that is what an RP truly is, a story told by a number of people. Try to make it interesting.

-Check back here from time to time. I might add something important that I've forgotten just now

Aet and I wrote a VERY long and intensive guide which will be posted as soon as we get it edited. I'm telling you so you don't think we tried to steal your thunder or whatever. ;) Thanks for posting this one.

@Marian: Oh, that's nice. I just wrote this because no one else had. Thsi can be deleted once yours is done. :)

@Mae

Thanks, Sweety for the guide. Sorry if I frustrated you in the RP, I'm new to RP and still learning as I go.

@Marian

I'm looking forward to your guide ;) Combining yours with Mae would be ideal as I think it would be better to compare and contrast the two different views on RPing.

@Elie: I'm so sorry if I gave you the idea that you or any of the other girls were frustrating me. I've been thinking about writing this up for a wee while now, and seeing as some had not read Alicia's guide (or didn't remember it) I thought it might be of use.

And I think it's quite important to have a brief guide, because not all are willing to read through many pages of a guide (don't know why they'd want to RP then, but...). @Marian: Your guide sounds very extensive and thorough, so I was thinking, maybe have both? A short one and a more thorough one? Plus, I think you might write from a DM's point of view, and I tend to aim for writing from a player's point of view.

@Mae mrm... I think we managed both points of view, but yes, a brief guide and an extensive guide both are good to have. The Layman's Guide to Roleplay is now posted. :) Go check it out.

Added a link to Marian and Aeternus' guide. It's so totally worth checking out, btw.

@Marian: How come I end up saying insulting things even though I don't mean to? I can't even remember why I wrote that. But of course you manage both points.

@Mae, it's ok. I knew what you meant. I am an editor on the surface- so much so that many people forget that I am a dreamer and player at heart. People also don't realize how much experience you can derive from acting things out with someone in improv. So I wasn't offended. ;)

Speaking from experience, it's VERY difficult to be a DM >.< Also, Marian is right - there probably will never be a very good guide on how to make and run a roleplay because each roleplay is different and the way a person goes about making one will be different. I could write a guide about how *I* DM an RP but what I find works won't necessarily work for someone else.

Yeah... having DMed... 5 RPs... 2 and a half on here, I can tell you I've used a different approach almost every time. Sorry I can't really be of any help on that front. >.>

<.<

^_^"

@Lrcy: I think it's more important that all the people involved have a chance to keep up, I don't think that the numbers are that important. That's why I put in the bit about people living in different timezones.

Yeah... two or three posts a day is very often overkill. I normally only post once a day. Maybe twice... depending on the activity of others. Now, if I'm in a one on one situation, I post after every post they make... or if I'm alone, then I try to make two or three posts so I can get to an interaction opportunity in a reasonable amount of time.

Yes that was just an average of what is the norm for a good RP that gives everyone a chance to keep up with the story. It is better to make a couple of really good entries than a bunch of one sentence entries.

kl a guide fot noobs to da inernet ot a noob to games.nice tinking.

Mae wrote:

This guide will tell you what an RP is, and how to get involved in one. It will also give you some guidelines for what to do and what not to do in a forum RP. If the leader of the RP you're in says different than this guide, believe that leader for that RP. And for a more extensive and thorough guide, check THE LAYMAN'S GUIDE TO ROLEPLAY by Marian_Frae and Aeternus.

What is an RP?

And RP is in simple terms, a role play. People create characters (and register them at the ARCHIVE. Then people post in their chosen RP either as their characters or describing their actions.

And how do I get into one?

As for how to get into one, there are several ways, depending on the RP in question. Always chech the first post in the particular thread for instructions how to start playing. In some of them, you have to contact the leader, but some are open and anyone can post. A good place to visit in order to find RP's is the INDEX.

The do's and don't's of RPing

DON'T

-control other people's characters. You don't know them well enough to know what they're thinking. You don't know everything about their history. And controlling other people's characters includes such things as 'person A sees a red spot on person B's hand' (person A being another person's character). Maybe person A happens to be colour-blind and you didn't know that. Or they might just be looking the other way.

DO:

-keep OOC (out of character) talk to minimum. If you need to comment something not relating to the character's doings, keep those comments clearly separated from your in character -part of the post. I find double brackets (()) a very good way to do that. You may think of something else. But be consistent.

-rememeber that people may not be online at the same time as you, as this is an international community and people live on different timezones. Try to give everyone a chance to respond before you move on. Also, try to avoid two-way conversations that hog up the thread.

-describe, be elaborate, use a lot of words. Post long posts. Write a story, for that is what an RP truly is, a story told by a number of people. Try to make it interesting.

-Check back here from time to time. I might add something important that I've forgotten just now

umm... k... i didn't understand anything you said other than "cool" and "noobs" - that's a kind of typing NOT to use in RP... and why did you copy the whole guide?

Oh, awesome! Thanks (I needed that) because I know a little about RP but there were some parts when I didn't know what was going on!?! Sounds fun though! Oh and why did the other person copy the entire text? :lol: