Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Aeternus

Insurrection - An RP

This roleplay died a while ago when it got too complicated and people got confused and people stopped posting >_> So as promised, I'm restarting it at long last! Same setting, same situation but different cast and a different plot. Please read the following info before posting :)

=====================================================

In the kingdom of Torvir, magic is punishable by death.

All those who hold the capacity to perform magic are to be executed without trial. Anyone who has information about those who practice magic is to report to the Zaddok, the so-called Guardians of the Righteous, or else they shall be arrested, put on trial, and if found guilty, they too, shall be executed. It is indeed a dark time to be a mage in such a country…

But the non-magical citizens of Torvir applaud the law. Free from the threat of magic and sorcery, they go about their daily lives and live quite happily without second thoughts. They have no wish to go beyond their country’s borders. Indeed, Torvir is a prosperous land, filled with bustling cities, quaint villages, tranquil lakes, breathtaking mountains, and expansive forests. The lands outside of Torvir are seen as barbaric, desolate, filthy, and dangerous.

Only those who possess magical abilities live in constant fear. Day to day, they live in secrecy, hiding their abilities from those who would persecute them. While most are content to hide or flee, there exists a secret rebellion force of mages that wishes for nothing more than to overthrow the government, seize control of the country, and punish those who punished them.

However, things are a little more complicated than that.

There also exists a secret band of mages within the Zaddok who work for the government – they track down other mages in the kingdom to arrest them and bring them to justice. Powerful and mysterious, they are a force to be reckoned with and are always dangerous.

Then, there are also sympathizers, both of the magical and non-magical variety. Some mages do not believe in the more extreme views some of the rebels hold. Some of the normal citizenry believe that mages are not evil, as is common amongst them. Both believe that there is a way for the two sides to live in peace.

So which side will you pick?

====================================================

If you’re interested in joining, it would probably be VERY important for you to know this information. It will help you know the condition and mindset of the country the RP takes place in, as well as the major players that are vital to the plot. It’s quite a bit to read but take your time! Part of roleplaying is understanding the situation your character is in.

History

Torvir has always been a prosperous land with many resources and a large population. However, it wasn’t always so against magic and the law against mages is, in fact, quite recent.

Tensions between mages and non-mages have always been present throughout history, but the two were able to live together relatively peacefully. However, about five years ago, an extremist mage assassinated King Astor and Queen Tierra, throwing the entire country into chaos and making Crown Prince Sorin an orphan.

The mage-assassin was immediately identified, arrested, and executed on the grounds of murder and treason. Nevertheless, there was an instant backlash against all mages and the Regent, Arashin Joszi, took control of the country, as was his right until Prince Sorin reached the age of sixteen. Arashin, who already held resentment against magic, took advantage of the citizens’ concerns about rogue mages and decreed that all magic was punishable by death. Since then, hundreds – and maybe even thousands – of mages have been executed without trials, forcing all the mages in the country into hiding or fleeing the country altogether.

Government

Torvir is led by an absolute monarchy led by a King and Queen. The throne is passed down to the King and Queen’s oldest legitimate child.

The hierarchy goes something like this:

King & Queen

Prince(s) & Princess(es)

Regent & Regent’s heirs

Dukes & duchesses

Counts & Countesses

Barons & Baronesses

The Zaddok

Regular officers and solders within the military

Citizens/Commoners

Mages (who are not considered citizens)

Currently there is no King or Queen, as both have died, leaving their only son behind. However, because the Crown Prince Sorin, at ten-years-old, is still too young to take on his royal duties, Torvir is ruled by the Regent in the prince’s stead until the Crown Prince reaches the age of sixteen.

Headed by the Regent, Arashin Joszi, the nobility also work to maintain peace and order within the country. They are wealthy and hold a lot of power and influence, but under Arashin’s rule, they follow him without question.

The Zaddok

The Zaddok, also known as the Guardians of the Righteous, are an elite military group that are specially assigned the task of arresting and executing magic users in Torvir.

The most powerful and elite of the Zaddok are, for the most part, mages themselves, a small circle of about five men and women. They are very powerful and are handsomely rewarded by Arashin himself. The fact that they are mages is a closely guarded secret and no one but the Zaddok and Arashin know. They are Arashin’s “secret weapon”. They like to call themselves “The Jinn”, although the name is not official and not well-known to conceal the fact that they are mages.

The rest of the Zaddok are hand-picked officers and soldiers from the regular military units. They are specially chosen for their strength, speed, agility, stealth, and intelligence. However, they lack any kind of magical ability whatsoever, but against a mage, they are still able to put up a very good fight. About twenty Zaddok soldiers are assigned to each of the five Jinn, thus the Zaddok as a whole number about 100.

Geography and Surrounding Areas

Torvir is a medium-sized country with a temperate climate. It’s characterized by breathtaking landscapes of mountains, lakes, rivers, and forests with cities and villages spread throughout. The capital city is known as Thuor, which is also the residence of the royal family and their regent.

To the east lies the mighty Aisel Ocean. The south-east lies the small, rural country known as Urdan and to the south-west and west lies a large and powerful country known as Marama, where some mages from Torvir have fled to as refugees. However, Marama has recently been struggling economically and is facing a shortage of basic necessities and resources, leading to widespread poverty amongst its people. To the north lies a seldom-travelled belt of mountains known as the Misty Mountains. However, a secret pass is known to some rangers and travellers that can lead a person relatively safely through the treacherous mountains to Hayote, the country to the north.

The borders of Torvir, however, are closely guarded, making it difficult for anyone to get in or out without special permission. Even the harbour along the shores of the ocean is closely watched by the royal navy and it is not uncommon for ships to be searched at random for any trace of magic.

=====================================================

Interested in joining?

If you want to join, PLEASE PM me.

This is important because I need to plan and make sure the sides are somewhat balanced (because it's no fun if everyone's a rebel or if everyone's a Zaddok or if everyone's a mage, etc. - let's make it interesting!!)

It's all a matter of who joins. ;) She needs a certain amount of people on each side before we can begin. Last time, there wasn't enough organization... and the RP just died. So, even if it takes a while... be patient. ;) It'll be great when we can start.

Sorry, I've been a little busy with work since we're a little short-staffed (they asked me to do two double shifts two days in a row >_> ) and once I finished up with work, I was busy with the Siggie Shop in the Clubhouse XD The work never ends.

Anyway, the RP will begin soon. I have one person willing to be part of the Zaddok so I'd be glad to have at least one other, but if I don't, it's ok. We'll figure it out XD I'll be sending out PMs soon to begin the next phase (collecting all the character profiles so I know who's who!). Once that's done, we can begin!

[i will ask Oracle to delete these posts once the actual RP is underway. Thanks!]

lol, I don't Pokegal, so I asked. Very basic stick people type map works for me Aeternus. It's easier to remember the towns and areas when I see them in map form. My character might travel a lot and I'd need to know.

You guys can start but if you want a map, it'll have to wait ^^ I'm very busy with work right now since many of my co-workers are on vacation and on weekends, people tend to call in sick (whether for real or fake, I don't know, but it's always interesting how I'm asked to take an extra shift on weekends and almost never weekdays...)

But when I have a chance, I will make up a map as well as a few locations with descriptions :)

Okay, here I go...

----------------------------------------------------

"I can't take it anymore! I'm sick and tired of dealing with this pressure!" Kisha yelled. A young Duchess with a dangerous secret, she had a lot of pressure on her.

"Sometimes, I think of how nice it would be to live in the countryside, away from civilization...." One of the maids walked in.

"Don't say that! You are a great member of royalty."

"I was adopted!" She yelled, then ran into her room and locked the door.

((Poke, please use different paragraphs for new lines of dialog so we can follow it better. :)))

The strong, dull pang of alarm bells rang clearly into the yard as a lithe girl of 17 years fled with her younger brother. Tears streamed down her face as the boy pulled her along. The girl was a magic bearer- one of the despised citizen mages. The boy was either a rebel or a mere relative- either way, he was breaking the law.

Soldiers flew into the air before the pair as the earth thrust above its rightful place. Arrows flew toward the pitiful outcasts. One hit the brother in the leg and he fell. Sobbing now, the girl was forced to leave him behind. Knitting his eyebrows, Willaem stopped the attack on them, spreading his naturally gained authority behind him. The metals of his Zaddock uniform glinted gently. As he approached, the boy on the ground grabbed his leg and tried to drag himself away, moaning dreadfully as he did so. Willaem tsked and put his arms up, "I'm here to help, Jacob. I know your story. I know your problems. I'm here to offer you and your sister an out. She's been captured up there... and being a magic bearer, well, she has no say in the matter, but if you cooperate, I have the authority to provide your entire family an out." The boy gasped at the mention of his whole family, "Yes, Jacob, we know your whole family was involved in this attempt. They have been apprehended as well."

"What would you have me do, sir?"

Trying to look brave... how typical. "Work with me and you will all be taken well care of. Emily will be taken out to the countryside where she can't hurt anyone. Your family will go with her. You can go home to them each night- after a month of training of course."

"And why would I join you? Why would I help you disrupt other families?"

Willaem knelt next to the boy, his shaggy black hair slightly covering his emerald eyes, "This is the best offer you'll get, kid...." Willaem yanked the arrow out of Jacob's calf. Jacob muffled his scream with gritted teeth, "I think you'll find I'm different than the other Zaddock you might meet." He wrapped some clean cloth from his tunic around the wound and gruffly tied it off. Standing, he offered Jacob a hand, "You will only get the offer once. Take it, Jacob." The boy nodded and accepted the hand, grimacing in pain as he placed weight on his leg.

"Take them to the house in the country. Place guards in the posts. Stock the cabinets. The mother and magic bearer will be brought back once a week- separately. The boys and their father can work the gardens. Make sure they realize this is a great mercy that's been laid upon them. Understood?" The young man in front of him nodded and saluted. Willaem dismissed him and muttered, "14 years old and we're putting them in the army. Not even special most of them..."

Terla entered the prison of Torvir, 3 or 4 Zaddok behind her, a captured rebel next to her. She nodded to the prison guards, then entered the cells where the magic bearers were kept until their execution. Finding an empty one, she shoved the mage into it and closed and locked the door. The man fell to the floor, then turned around and spoke for the first time:

"What are you going to do to me?" he said, trying to look defiant & strong. Terla only laughed.

"I think you know what we do to clean the world of scum like you." She replied. "Isn't that why you ran for the border the minute you knew we were coming?"

The man's eyes widened, but he tried to keep his image of toughness present. "You can't do this to me! I won't let you!"

"And what are you going to do about it?" Terla smirked and folded her arms. She knew exactly what was coming.

The man summoned a small lightning bolt and launched it at Terla. It sped towards a spot between her eyes, but stopped right before it got there, deflected by an unseen force. Terla smiled. Her plan had worked. The mage had now truly revealed himself to her.

Terla shook her head. "Tsk, tsk," she said, "don't you know that using magic is against the law?"

The mage could only stare. How had this mysterious person have escaped completely unharmed? He had aimed his magic almost perfectly! Unless she was somehow sheilded, but that was impossible, she would have to be able to bear magic to do that.

Terla leaned closer to the bars which separated her from the mage, and whispered, "I wouldn't try to pull a stunt like that again. You might find I have more, ah, skills, than the other Zaddok." With that, she stood straight again and, not bothering to look back, she walked calmly out of the prison room, thinking to herself, I love this job.

((Just so you know, the guy isn't anyone in particular, just a person, I'm not trying to control anyone or anything. :)

Also, @Aeternus: I would be willing to make that map for you if you can't find the time, but not right now as I'm not on my home computer. PM me back if you can, and I'm fine if you want to make it yourself ;)))

I hate this job!

"Why can't I see my sister?!" Kisha yelled.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but your sister...she's...she's..." The maid hesitated.

"What?! She's what?! Answer me, Flora!"

"She's in prison! She was caught using mages to help other mages escape!"

With that, Kisha ran down to the prison cells, and looked for her sister. Every mage just stared, she didn't like it. She didn't like how her sister, a once proud mage, was now locked up because of her skills, and even though she didn't like to, she always had to remind herself that she too, would end up like these people if she wasn't careful. It didn't matter that she was royalty to the Zaddok. If they found out that she was a mage, they would still kill her...

((I'm making the map for Aet. In fact... all I have left is to finish color-coding it. If Aet approves, you guys should have a map to look at in just a couple of days. ^_^))

((@Lrcy and Lonely: If you want to join, you send a PM to Aet with your character information and wait for her to give you the go-ahead. And please, for future reference, if you are confused about how something like this works, and the game has already started, PM the DM(Aet in this case) and wait for a reply. Only put in an offline if you don't get a response after a few days. Thanks.))

"The people my unit take in are truly a threat to society- they have proved themselves to be so. I don't go after little girls whose only crime is the way they were born. Knowing this, you must be fully prepared." Willaem took an odd training implement down from the wall. It had long, shock absorbent strips of thin wood joining together at one end which stemmed from a handle. Willaem flourished the odd sword as Jacob readied himself, "I won't take it easy on you. You will have bruises at the end of the day... welts if you don't take this seriously." Suddenly springing into action, Willaem began to crack the odd sword like thing down on his ward. Jacob dodged many of the swings, using speed he should not have been capable of. So the boy is special too? Good, I had hoped for this.

The two sparred for hours before Willaem managed to hit Jacob at the back of the knees. The boy fell and could not get back up immediately. Willaem nodded before placing the training stick back on the wall, "You did very well, Jacob. You dodged with precision and grace. Already, you are levels above any other recruits. Tomorrow, we will advance. Take my hand, I'll help you to the infirmary."

Grunting, Jacob took his hand and stood, "Do you always send your recruits to the infirmary with their first training exercise?"

"The nurses have been expecting you for hours. Most last only a few minutes under the stick for weeks. As I said, you are much more advanced."

After looking over for hours, she still didn't find Cara. She knew what happened. An early execution. She ran back up to her room, trying to hide the tears until she got there. But by the time she was at the infirmary, she was bawling. She ran up, Flora was gone. She didn't care. She locked the door, and lay on her bed crying.

((Flora is not an actual character. This is the last time that she appears.))

((It's ok to have side characters as long as they are not pivotal to the story. For instance, Jacob is merely a pawn for Willaem... and a showcase of Willaem's difference.))

Alric adjusted his priests hat to further keep the sun from his eyes. It was a wide brimmed leather Akubra, designed for practicality in weather rather than priestly status. He disliked both the dress and the demeanor of the Church of the Aristocracy. He was simple folk and followed his heart where ever it led. Training with the Monks of the Aisel Order since his 13th year, he felt blessed that his parents had permitted him to leave at that tender age to apprentice with them. Life was simpler then.

But times were changing, he wondered how long he could endure what he knew was coming upon the people of Torvir. The Zaddok were infiltrating everywhere. The only people he knew he could trust without doubt were his Brothers of the Aisel Order.

The cart banged and jumped down the pitted fairway. He hummed a jaunty tune as he deftly urged the pony forward toward the border of Marama. All was quiet but the buzzing flies around the pony and the creaking roll of the wheels on the road. There was no wind to break the heat of the sun overhead. He was tempted to cast a cooling spell over the cart and himself, but was too frightened that some essence of the magic might be sensed by those Zaddock Bloodhounds.

"Not to much further my sweeting," he whispered. But there was no one to be seen.

The back of the cart was packed full with bread, corn, pickled beef and other assorted dry goods. He wasn't sure how much longer the citizens of the region could hold out. The laborers could no longer afford to buy food. Some were selling their children just to save their homes. As much as he despised the practice, he could understand what drove them to it...

After her tears had dried, and her eyes were no longer red, she went to the door. Then realizing that it was such a hot day and that the maids had opened up the window, which was rare because they didn't want any intruders or escapees. She looked out of the window, saw that it wasn't that long of a drop, and got the dirtiest outfit in her wordrobe she could find. It was a simple shirt and skirt, not to mention it was very dirty. She changed into it, pulled the ribbon out of her hair, and went to sleep. At night, she woke up, and opened the door. Since she had missed dinner, maids had left a platter of food at her door. She picked up the food, and put it in her backpack. She made sure to seal the food so it wouldn't leak. She then climbed out of the window and creeped out of the city. When she reached the gate, she was lucky to find the guards fast asleep. She crept out of the gate. She was sneaky and suspicious of every moving thing until she could barely see the castle. She sighed, and laid beneath a tree. She didn't go to sleep, though. She wasn't clear yet...

[ DM notes!

@Pokegal: A duchess is NOT royalty, by the way. A duchess is merely nobility, probably related to royalty through various bloodlines but status- and power-wise, it's not the same as being royalty. Consequently, I don't know how or why Kisha would be able to go to the dungeons so easily - first, because the soldiers guarding the mages are most likely Zaddok, and second, the mages would probably be held in an extremely secure place.

@LadyPendragon

Sorry, yeah, MarianFrae has already volunteered to make a map of the country ^^; I will create a world map as soon as time permits, though, since I have a general vision of what it's supposed to look like.

@all

Wow, everyone's characters are scattered everywhere o_O; Try to find a way to meet up! XD Anyway, I don't have much time right now (gotta work tonight) but I will RP as my own character soon enough. ]

Kisha got up and walked on a road. After a while, she heard a wagon. She stood on the side of the road, hoping to hitch a ride. She saw someone with a hat on driving the wagon. "Excuse me, do you know how far out of the city that the Zaddok patrol? I need to steer clear of them." She didn't like telling a stranger that she was a mage, but she had a feeling that he was one too.