Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Aeternus

Insurrection - An RP

Alric sensed her indecision, her face was not that hard to read and breathed a sigh of relief. He had half expected her to announce her troth to another or worse profess her love for him. He would have been disappointed with either. He was very attracted to her, both physically and emotionally, had not met another in his thirty two years that so matched his ideals of the perfect woman. But, he did not believe in love at first sight and relished the thought of getting to know her, they had all the time in the world. Her character had just leaped another hurdle toward his heart.

"My lady, I would do it again in an instant." He ran his thumb over the back of her hand, "I am quite fond of you as well." He grinned to break the tension on her face.

Allisa

"Oh... how nice." She smiled, though her heart wasn't in it. He'd taken it well. Remarkably well, in fact. That was good, but it also made it seem as though he hadn't really been interested in her in the first place. Which made her feel... "Um, excuse me. I'm sure father would appreciate the comfort of a good family talk at a time like this." She withdrew her hand from his a bit more sharply that she may have intended, took a step back, turned and moved away in Gerald's general direction.

Celia popped up in front of her when she'd gotten out of whispered earshot and asked, "What'd the big oaf say?" In a conspiritorial murmer.

"What? Nothing." Allisa tried to move by, but Celia stayed in front of her.

"Oh, come on!" She cajoled in that same low tone. "We can be like girlfriends! You tell me about all the stupid male things he does, and I'll tell you how bad you need to drop the loser!"

"Alric and I are not an item." Allisa hissed quietly, still trying to duck by.

"Whew! Thank the heavens you dodged that bolt! Being 'an item' with Alric sounds about as much fun as spending some quality time with a zaddok dungeon master!" Celia grinned after that last one, and totally missed ducking when Allisa gave her a heavy open palmed smack across the face that sent her staggering away.

"So sorry." Allisa said loudly enough for everyone to hear. "I mistook a snowflake for some type of bug. Silly on my part, I'm sure the bugs must all be dead by now..." She moved on toward her father. "...all but one, anyway." She muttered under her breath.

Celia

OUCH!!! Sheesh, that girl's sure got a strong arm for somebody who sits around copying books all day! ...I hope she got the bug, if there was one. You never can tell what might last into the early parts of winter, and for all we know there could be weird cold resistant mountain bugs up here!

I rubbed my cheek and glanced around cautiously for any sign of creepy mountain bugs.

A small part of his heart clenched in pain when she abruptly removed her hand from his grasp. His brow furrowed in confusion. Had he read her wrong after all? No, he mused, there had been no mistaking the attraction between the two of them.

Puzzled for a moment his attention was drawn to her encounter with Celia. He restrained himself from cheering when she landed a blow to Celia's jaw, Gods she was magnificent. More than that his confusion left and he laughed low under his breath, her behavior gave her away, Allisa was as conflicted as he. Time would take care of everything. He headed to check the horses before getting back on the trail.

Shadows lengthened, flowing across the pass like sheer curtains being slowly drawn across the sky, as two pairs of light and agile feet trapesed through it's narrow confines, seeking escape from the exposed corridor and the welcome shelter of the thick, tangled woodlands beneath. One behind the other, as a young thing might follow it's mother, the two descended steadily, climbing the steep and rocky slopes down to where the landscape finally began to level. The bright patch of sky above was fading into twilight, and Allaphym hesitated near the cave entrance, unsure as to whether it's dim reaches would provide safer refuge than a night in the open forest.

No sign of whoever owned the hawk, but if that person was headed this way, the distance between them would be very short by now. As she pondered, she felt Princess's arms wrap around her waist, and she automatically put her arm around the girl's shoulder. Neither of them spoke while she made a decision about the best course of action for the night. The snow was still a light drifting swirl of powder, the air becoming chilled by dusk, but the cave was a risky choice that might attract other occupants.

~~~~~

The Tavern was two-thirds full already, and Frohaver was quite busy helping the girls and Jax keep up with the demand for liquor, snacks, and small talk. He was not inclined to be ambitious about work, but the tips were good, and serving drinks was a perfect excuse to keep moving about the merry crowd and overhearing anything of interest.

He saw Bellyndra enter and made an immediate beeline for her, he was seeking out the lady customers first, of course, a preference neither Jax, nor the waitresses seemed to question.

"I'm delighted you have decided to grace this humble establishment with your euridite presence, Miss Bellyndra!" he crooned, sweeping into another of his flourishing obesiences. He was really wonderful to watch, once a person got used to his marvelously casual formality. People adapted to his attitudes rather quickly, after the initial surprise at such gestures, and began to expect it of him.

"What refreshment can I offer you that will insure your company until as late in the evening as possible?" He preened himself mentally, full of smug self congratulation at his latest line, intended to reassure the ladies that he was not trying to get them drunk, which was true, he wanted them to spend as much money as possible instead. Most of the women took this as gentlemanly concern for their personal well-being, and were flattered, no matter what they ordered after his suggestion.

((LadyP! Dude... you need to reply to the action that actually happened so we can move on. Go back to page 15 and read Willaem's part. Remember- it uses Willaem's name. I'll work on color coding tomorrow when I have brain power.))

Zarron nodded to the room, "This will be yours until I deem you worthy of real barracks. No personalizing it until after your first successful mission. Be prepared for your first session- it could come at any time," with a look and snarl that dared questions, he set his eyes on her and stared coldly.

The Pass

Kyrus woke covered in a blanket of snow and disoriented. He had tried to continue along the path after the sun had set but had gotten himself hopelessly lost. So much for his grand boasting to Alric that he was more than capable of following the trail to Hayote. Now whatever trail may have been there was completely and utterly obliterated. First things first, he reached into the pack he had been given and broke one of the loaves in half and began chewing the crumbly bread. He'd kill right now for a hot biscuit and a jar of jam and some tea would be lovely.

The sun was rising behind him so he was at least headed in the right direction. You can do this. He shouldered the pack and headed up the mountain, slipping a bit in the icy snow that the sun had managed to melt. It was slow going but it was do or die, he had no intention of dying. When he finally managed to reach the top of the first peak and have a look around, his throat clenched tight. There was a group following, he could make out a string of horses and possible four or five riders. Frightened it was the Zaddok he deftly disappeared over the pass before they saw him. He would have to get moving and put some distance between them.

((alright... seeing as LadyP has not logged on since the 12... i have no choice but to move on.))

Before Terla could answer, one of the young soldiers ran up and spewed a message about someone fitting Celia's description. Willaem's face darkened and he gave the boy a penny, "Go now." The boy nodded and ran back off. Willaem turned to Terla, "I'm going after her... no time to wait. It seems they're not going near our destination... while it should be given attention, I think she is a more dire mission. Follow me or go on your own to see about the rogue she told us of."

Immediately, he left in search of Julianna. On his way, he sent someone to have Jacob ready for him in the plaza. They would leave immediately.

The mention of his name caught his ear and he found that Julianna had been accused of thievery. Shaking his head and trying to push away the sharp pain of betrayal, he headed to the plaza himself- no longer having anywhere else to go.

Jacob joined him shortly and they immediately shouldered their packs, leaving in pursuit.

After a while, Jacob grunted, "We won't be stopping to eat or rest, will we?"

"No... they have too much of an advantage... all last night."

Jacob nodded, "Do you think she's the mage? False trail- alibi?"

"Certainly seems likely..."

"What will we do if she is?"

"Depends."

"On?"

"Not every mage is dangerous and sadistic... or foolish."

"I know."

"It will all depend on what kind of mage she is."

"I'm glad you're the one that found me, Willaem."

"So am I. You deserved to live."

Walking the rest of the way in silence, the two finally came upon the place of attack. Various soldiers were shot by crossbow bolts. After examining them, Willaem's face darkened even further and he handed one to Jacob. "Willaem these... only Luthor makes these... it has his mark." Willaem merely nodded, "Friendly fire?"

Willaem shook his head, "Celia. She was outfitted at the base. Come on. Time we find them."

"There are quite a few from the tracks."

"Yes... but one's a woman and another is old. The woman's footing doesn't look sure. I think we'll only have 3 to fight... if it comes to that." This is the path to the rebellion... surely they're not... Willaem shook his head and began running along the path made. Thank the heavens I can trust Jacob. If someone were to recognize me... and I had anyone else with me... that could be it.

Celia

Back on the trail... wow mountains were boring. We always went up and up, but never saw anything except more white. The ground had been coated fairly well before it let up. "You said something about a cave?" I called out at last, just to break the monotony. "We'll come up on it soon, right? Ya know the bigger parts of this storm are getting closer all the time, and they're not gonna be as nice as the drizzle we've seen up until now."

I was speaking from personal experience on that one. I'd been caught outside during a few snowstorms in my time, and in fact nearly died from a couple when I was a kid. Good times, those...

Of course that was down in the mainlands, and I'd heard that mountain weather is way harsher. I really didn't want to see what that was like!

Jacob and Willaem made good progress along the trail. Eventually, they came upon snow and Jacob began to look anxiously to the sky. Gruffly, Willaem tried to soothe him, "There's a cave up ahead... we should reach it sometime after nightfall. If we're lucky- they stopped there."

"How do you know there's a cave?"

Willaem seemed to ignore the question for some time. Just as Jacob was forgetting he'd even asked, Willaem finally yielded an answer, "I have quite a bit of history on these slopes..." If Jacob asked anything else, Willaem didn't hear- lost in a memory.

He was younger- more rash. He had just become and officer and was on his first lone mission. Chasing a rogue, he was caught in a storm- not unlike the one which was brewing at that very moment. He was hardly able to hold a sword and the rogue took pity on him. Cautiously, she put up her hands and called above the sound of the storm, "There's a cave ahead... I can take you there in return for my freedom. Both of us will die if we stay out here, fighting." Willaem just nodded and she led him to the cave. Inside, she built a fire and laid blankets over him. The storm was the longest there had ever been... and he was greeted with surprise when he returned. 8 months later, he received a letter giving him instructions to follow. The directions led him to a small house... and newborn twin boys. It was on that mountain- in that cave- that he discovered his ability. She had been taking care of him too much... and neglected to take care of herself. In the near month they were under siege in the cave, he had grown quite attached to her. He held her, trying to give her warmth, and suddenly her body glowed and she was stronger than before they'd even gone into the cave. Willaem leapt back, confused. She turned her eyes on him, analyzing, "I thought I felt an energy in you, Willaem... thank you."

"But I- I- I didn't do anything!"

She came to him and took his head in her hands, "You healed me... gave me some of your life." She kissed him... and suddenly both were in desperate need of more body warmth.

((Willaem and Jacob will reach the cave a few hours after you do. They're able to move more swiftly than your group.))

The Pass

Alric

Alric turned back to address Celias' question. "Another hour should see us there, it's just on the other side of this pass." He longingly waited to see Allisas' face but she too was looking at Celia and avoiding his gaze. He had played over their conversation multiple times now and wondered what he had said to so distress her. He didn't admit it to himself at the time, but when she said that they were not an item to Celia, something deep within him clenched in despair.

Raising his mittened hand to shield his eyes from the suns glare he estimated there was plenty of time before nightfall to get settled in. His attention was drawn back to the trail by tracks that appeared out of nowhere. He smiled, Kyrus. More than likely they would catch up with the young lord sometime soon, this snow looked to have seriously hampered his headway.

Kyrus

He had had enough of struggling through the snow and set about finding the cave Alric had described to him. He could hide away there from whoever was chasing him and rest his aching muscles. He was use to riding but this mountain hiking was for the birds. It might be acceptable in late Spring but this snow was abominable.

There they were, two huge boulders wedged against the largest tree he had yet seen in his young life. He felt a sudden sensation of vertigo as he leaned back trying to see the top of it and quickly looked away.

Following the path of the rocks back up the incline he wedged himself between a channel through the split cliff face. About twenty feet in it opened to reveal a deep cavern with a low ceiling. If he jumped he could probably reach it with his hand. In the distance was the sweet sound of running water. His pack slid to the floor and he headed toward the water source.

banditqn1.pnggimme mucho dinero, hombres!

Allaphym closed her eyes for a brief moment, then tugged Princess away from the potential shelter of the dark cave.

"We shall go just a little further before dark, and find a hollow tree." she murmered quietly, and the two of them slipped into the woodland seeking the immense ghostly trunks of the sycamores as the colors faded into dusk. Sycamore trees love the water, dwelling like pale towering columns surrounding it's sparkling surface. Many Sycamores were naturally hollow, an attribute that seldom killed the tree, making it prized by creatures of the tangled forest for inhabiting as den and nest.

Following the waterfall below the cave entrance, they traveled deeper into the gloomy woods until the splashing torrent slowed and widened, spreading it's liquid surface among a gathering of the thirsty ivory-barked giants. Several of the larger trees were split near the base, forming living teepees large enough to stand inside. Choosing an ancient specimen on a rise above the flood line, Allaphym shepherded Princess inside and began to make preparations for the night.

Bellyndra smiled and nodded to Frohaver. "I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that he met me at the door," she thought to herself, and to him, "Well, hi there, Frohaver. Hmmm, let me see, I think I'll have a Cape Cod. Thank you ever so!"

Bellyndra looked around the room and noticed Travist sitting at a table alone. She made her way over to him as Frohaver walked off towards the bar.

"I see you got a coupon also," she said to Travist.

"Yes," he said, "how nice of Jax to offer such a deal. Would you like to share some of my chips and fish? I seem to have gotten more than I can handle."

Just as Bellyndra was about to take a seat, Frohaver came with her drink.

"Aren't you jsut a dear one, Frohaver. Thank you so much," Bellyndra said with a slight curtsy as she took her drink from him and sat down.

Bellyndra ate and drank and talked and laughed and danced the night away with Travist. In fact she was having such a wonderful time she had lost all track of time itself. Before she knew it the clock struck one.

"Oh mercy! I really must be going Travist. I have had such a wonderful time with you tonight," she said with a smile.

"If you must go, then you must. The least I can do is see you home safely," Travist offered.

"Thank you, kind sir," she said with a full curtsy. Coming to Jax's had given Bellyndra a chance to relax and put a little fun back into her week. It was quite refreshing.

Bellyndra thanked Jax and Frohaver for their hospitality and drinks as she opened the door and stepped out into a snow filled sky. Morning would come way too soon, but for now she was having a wonderfuly time and enjoying Travist's company.

Travist put his hand at the small of her back as they walked through the wintery white wonder land.

Kyrus

For a moment Kyrus panicked, there was a commotion at the cavern entrance. The riders must be upon him. Why had he dropped his pack? What a stupid darn fooled thing to do! He was too afraid to return for it and scrambled deeper into the cavern until he reached the water source. It was an exit situated behind a waterfall. If he wasn't so frightened he would have admired it's beauty with the last rays of sunshine glistening through it. Nervously he eased himself around the side managing to get only slightly wet in the process.

To his surprise just past the falls in the snow were fresh prints that were so small they could only belong to a woman and child. Wondering if they might be able to offer shelter he set off following the tracks. He prayed he wouldn't have to travel far and get caught alone in the dark with nothing but his cloak to keep him company. Slipping part way down the hill he arrived at a Mountain Cathedral. The center tree where the footprints disappeared seemed to be hollow, tentatively he called into the darkness of the tree, "Hello, I mean no harm. I'm kind of lost and could use some help."

Allisa

"Tracks?" She wasn't able to discern much from inspecting the clearly man(woman?)-made bootprints on the ground. They lead down in between two massive boulders and a tree, where Alric had headed. "Somebody you know, I hope?" She called after him as the group followed along.

Alric

"Yes, I believe so anyway. It is probably Kyrus, the young man I brought up here just before we met, Allisa. I half expected him to be further along than this," an edge of worry crept into his voice as he led them into the cavern and found the boys pack.

"Kyrus? Boy, it's Alric." he called into the dark recesses of the cavern. It had grown too dim to even search it's depths without something to light their way. He would investigate after getting everyone settled and a fire started. "Come on we have to gather wood and get our supplies inside, he could be lost or injured. I'll need a torch to search." Heading back to the crevasse, he helped Celia gather the horses in a copse of trees, leaving Allisa to move the gear inside and Brock to gather the wood.

He hadn't seen Izzy for several hours, but that wasn't unusual if she was hunting her dinner.

"Celia," Alrics voice was under-toned, "I don't want to alarm the others, but did you see anyone following us? I could have sworn I saw two trackers as we topped the ridge. We'll need to be on our guard tonight. I'm pretty sure the Zaddok don't know of this place and would have a hard time tracking us in the dark. All the same I'd hate to wake up dead in the morning."

Allaphym could hear the rustling of footsteps as the stranger approached, and holding Princess close, both arms wrapped around her, eyes wide with trepidation, they both remained silent until he arrived at the opening in the trunk and announced his plight.

He was telling the truth. Allaphym knew this, she could sense people's intentions easily, often before they spoke. He sounded young, and pleasent, but he was still a stranger, first impressions never revealed everything, certainly not who he was, or even his name.

She sighed and releasing Princess, stepped away from the shadowed recesses of the huge tree's hollow interior, and peeked out of the steep triangular split in it's trunk, her head ducking slightly, long glossy ebony braid swingly like a pendulum in front of her shoulder as she leaned forward to peer at the uninvited arrival, her initial glimpse confirming his youth, and good looking features to match his voice.

The snow swirled and faint puffs like miniature clouds drifted from her mouth as she spoke, "How can I help you, sir? It's very late, and this ancient guardian of nature is the only shelter I have found in this wilderness. The nearest village is a ways to the south.....follow the stream as it grows stronger and deeper, and the water will lead you to it's doors eventually, although I doubt you can make it there tonight." She watched him carefully, wondering who he was, and how he became lost out here. There was no sign of the hawk....however, the falcon's owner would not be the type to become astray in the forest, perhaps the other was searching for this fellow.

"I saw a falcon circling earlier, it was not a wild one, perhaps someone you know is looking for you?" she surmised.

Kyrus

"It could be Alric, but why would he come back?" He thought for a moment in the dark. The water that had gotten in his feet at the falls was freezing up in his boots and his teeth were beginning to chatter.

"Even if it is him, I can't see two feet in front of me Ma'am. I doubt I could make it back to the cave in the dark. Could I please just share the warmth of your shelter till first light. If it is Alric I can find him in the morning."

He prayed she would relent and allow him to stay, he was beginning to shiver from the cold in earnest. He supposed he could try real hard to follow the sound of the waterfall back to the cave if she turned him away. Then again what if the bird had nothing to do with Alric and he walked right into the arms of the Zaddok. The more he thought about it, he would just find a hole in the next tree and hope he didn't freeze to death before morning...if she turned him away.

Her wide dark eyes surveyed the youth in the gathering gloom. It was getting colder, and so was he...."Alright, then, come in and unthaw, then lend me a hand with warming this place and making us something to eat. Neither of us is going to get a night's rest shivering and hungry." she answered quietly, stepping back to allow him to enter the space within the tree.

The immense Sycamore was quite old, and the interior was stretched upward higher than the eye could see in the darkness. The area was too large for all but the biggest predators to make into a den, and had not been occupied by any wildlife recently. The ground inside was beautifully covered with thick, glossy green moss, growing lushly, nourished by the slanting sunbeams that spilled through the trunk's opening in the daylight hours.

Tree ears, a delicious edible mushroom sprouted tender shelves in heavy patches along the moist bark walls, and in the center was a neat circle of smooth polished river stones that had been carefully placed there by human hands to contain a small fire.

It was a shrine of sorts, or a way station for druids or rangers, it's purpose was unknown, but the cold and weary travelers were in luck by finding it's shelter on this chilly, snow swept night.

Allaphym retrieved a small candle from her cloak, and lit it, setting the tiny flame carefully in the center of the stone hearth, while Princess stared at the young man and said nothing.

Celia

"Maybe, I saw a couple dark blotches against the snow. They were pretty far down the trail if they were people. Probably still a few hours off." I considered. "We could keep watch on them from up there pretty easily, so as not to be caught by surprise."

Jacob's teeth started shivering as it got darker and Willaem called for a stop. Taking out a heavy coat, Willaem handed it to Jacob and then took one out for himself. After putting it on, he pulled out some food for the two of them and began walking again, "We don't want to stop until we've found shelter and started a fire. Walking gives us some heat."

((k... i don't think i'll make another IC post until they reach the top... so you can confront them or just tell me when you're ready for them to reach the top. Jacob will breathing quick, shallow breaths though Willaem will just be breathing a little more heavily than normal.))

Alric

Alric nodded to Celia, "First I need to get a fire started and see if I can find Kyrus. I'll join you as soon as I have taken care of that."

He headed back to help Allisa but she seemed to have things well in hand. He bent to the wood that had been place by the circle of rocks and quickly arranged it in the pit. First shaving some of the wetter bark away with his knife, he then split one of the thin branches into strips. On top of this he placed some dry pine needles and a few more small branches. Striking a fire stick against a stone, he set the flame to the pyre. It caught quicker than he had hoped, having been a dry year, the wood was only wet on the surface.

He set the end of a larger club sized piece of wood against the flames to make a torch, but he had a feeling Kyrus was no longer in the cave. The boy would surely have revealed himself. Alric just wanted to be sure that he wasn't passed out somewhere in the dark.

As soon as the brand had a good coal going he set off into the cave. It wasn't long before he found the three sets of prints and assumed Kyrus was fine for the night at least. If they survived Alric would search for him in the morning. He made his way back to the now roaring fire. Thawing out for a few moments before speaking, he watched Allisa's face in the firelight. She was so lovely, her eyes danced with a light of their own, but by firelight he wanted to gaze into them till he drowned.

"Allisa? Will you be okay staying here with your father? I need Brock again. There may be someone following us and if Celia switches sides on us again..." he shook his head. "I wish I could trust her but I don't."

He looked next to Brock, "I could use your support again."

Kyrus

Kyrus saw the candle and knew it would not suffice for heat. He had stumbled across a dead-fall tree not far back up the slope. Pretty sure he could find it and navigate back in the dark he blurted out as he left the tree, "I'll be right back. I know where to find some wood."

He disappeared into the night returning about fifteen minutes later with an arm full of branches twigs and one decent sized piece of wood that might last for a few hours. He laid the offering before the woman and glanced sidelong at the girl, then flashed a quick smile.

"I don't know how to help with the cooking. I've never even boiled water."

Celia

It was quite a while before the two little blotches turned into two little people, and a while after that before they came into earshot on the trail below us. They were close enough now for me to recognize Willaem and his little buddy what's-his-face. Alric was standing behind me (he'd been behind me the whole time... I wonder why?) with Brock. "Hi Will!" I called out cheerily, leveling my crossbow on the two advancing figures. "You're an awful long way from home! Gonna defect and come join the rebellion?" I joked, finger on the trigger.

Willaem flashed his smile and kept on walking, "Nah, I figured since you'd disappeared and your friend was caught stealing, I'd take my annual walk up the mountain. Very invigorating. Mind lowering that crossbow? Wouldn't want to end up like my friends, the louts, down there, would I? It's pretty easy for a finger to slip on one of those triggers... and we wouldn't want a misunderstanding, eh?"

Alric stood behind Celia as the men approached. He wanted to take no chances that she would be pointing her crossbow at his back. It was fairly dark but she seemed to know who was following them. So she was the target all along! Now, here she was trapped between a Zaddok and a Rebel, no wonder she was flighty. Come to think of it, this past day had probably been no picnic for her either. She had raised her bow and threatened them, calling the first one Will.

He thought surely it couldn't be, but as soon as the man spoke Alric relaxed his stance. Things were changing dramatically. Laughing low under his breath he turned to Celia, "It's okay, lower your weapon."

"Willaem, what kind of hell has this woman been putting you through? And why on earth are you following us?"