Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Aeternus

Insurrection - An RP

Celia

I smirked. "He drugged ya, huh? I guess that's as good a way as any to make sure you don't sneeze at the wrong time." Close to the royal family... he seemed like such a normal kid.

"Now me, why did I come here?" I pondered just a moment. "Heh, now there's a question! I wonder if I ever really made a choice? Seems like I've just been ending up in the wrong places at the wrong times." I cocked my head to one side. "Or the right ones, maybe?" It was all true, but there was also the fact that I stepped in to save Brock. That was a decision I made, just because I didn't want Allisa to cry over him. "Ah, well... I suppose it's fate."

Curiosity was starting to gnaw around the edges of my mind. Who was Kyrus, exactly? Some noble, I guess, but that didn't really tell me alot. "So is it 'My Lord,' 'Young Master,' or 'Your Highness?'" I asked him after a moment, as though it were a natural thing to ask. For a noble, it might very well be! Not that I would know. "And what sorts of things were part of a typical day for Kyrus back then?" A thought struck me. "If it's hard on you, remembering, you don't have to talk about it. I'm just curious, I grew up in kind of a different enviornment." That was an understatement. I'd been born and raised as a gutter rat!

Willaem gave Celia a sideways glance but said no more. I will figure that woman out... her and... he grimaced slightly before smoothing his face back hurriedly, I'll figure them both out. I will.

Jacob finally returned to the group, face much more flushed than it should have been. Without a word to Willaem he went straight to Celia's side, though how he felt about his decision seemed to be a mix of eagerness and abhorrence. Taking a deep breath, he failed to keep his words from tumbling out, "I am truly regretful of the foolish way I have been acting. I should not take a lady's words as a switches lashings... however uncomfortable they may make me. I offer my protection and..." he seemed to lose his train of thought for a second. When he resumed, the words he spoke did not seem to be the ones he had planned, "aid in... goat tipping- one or both... for as long as Master Willaem allows me to your side." The words finally out, Jacob took a deep breath and his coloring returned to normal.

Willaem refrained from looking back but intended to ask what had gone on in the boy's mind. Perhaps he truly was smarter... and this was his way of showing it... but more likely than not, this was just more proof of his amiable oddness. Not to mention the slight hints at a lost noble line... and the apparent- if vague- resemblance to the Third of the House of Graldene, Lady of the Rivers, Jirelda.

He thought for a moment or two. His old life was never much to his liking to begin with. So many rules...and etiquette. How he hated etiquette and silverware. A spoon was a spoon. Why on earth did they have to have a special utensil for everything they ate. This was his golden opportunity away from that life. "Just Kyrus, Celia. I need no titles, to know my worth." For the first time he believed his own words. A smile spread across his face as he realised he truly was free. From hence forth, he would make his own way.

"Well, whatever fates brought you, I'm glad you're here. Just please do warn me before you chase after any more goats." He was finally feeling relaxed, when Jacob began a litany of apologies. For the time being, he crawled back into his shell of silence.

Celia

The corner of my lip twitched at Kyrus' response. To tell the truth, I only asked his title to see if I could wheedle a bit more info out of him. Kinda strange, but even though I didn't get any I was still kinda pleased by his answer. He seemed to ignore my second question... I guess that's fine. I keep plenty to myself too.

That was about when Jacob came over and started up with an embarrassingly formal apology. My mouth opened and closed once as I valiantly fought a sudden and strong urge to burst into laughter. Masking myself in a facade of deep thought, I took a few moments to get myself completely under control so that I could act for him properly. "Thanks, I won't tease you anymore if it bothers you. I'm grateful for your offer of assistance, but I'm gonna turn you down. There's no need to guard a guard, and as for goat tipping I'd rather enjoy the experience with somebody who enjoys it!"

It was really hard to take him seriously when he talked like that, but at least he was trying to make nice.

Kyrus

Once Jacob finished his spiel, the silence wasn't as comfortable as Kyrus would have liked. He had been pondering his lifestyle growing up, and her earlier question. "Being of the royal class isn't all that great. In fact it's a royal pain in the...well, you know. There's never any time for fun. Just lessons and more lessons. Half of it about stupid stuff like sitting and walking. Comportment, Lexington called it, how one holds oneself in public. Who cares if my head isn't held perfectly at the proper angle?" He smiled broadly, "I've had more fun in the past few days, than I've had in my whole life. I used to dream about being able to escape for just a day, and here I am, free."

Jacob flushed deeply. He never liked being wrong... and he had been. No matter the animosity between Celia and Willaem... or the previous animosity between the two of them- he felt duty toward making things right. He smiled slightly at the young boy's answer and decided to address him for the time being- unsure of how to talk with Celia. She really was attractive to him... probably the very reason for his initial animosity. His cheeks flushed once more at the thought, "They ever allow you to play, Kyrus?"

He looked at the befuddled man. It seemed Celia had everyone tied in knots. "They ever allow you to play, Kyrus?"

"I guess that would depend on what you call play. Time for myself to do what I pleased? No I never had that. Even the books I read were chosen for me."

For a moment his eye was diverted to the sky. Was that Alric's eagle? Must be. Kyrus felt a bit better knowing that he was still watching, in a way. He turned his attention back to Celia. "I think I've changed my mind about those goats. Just how do you tip one?"

Jacob grinned at the boy, "I can show you."

Scanning the countryside around them, Jacob spotted a goat a bit off in the distance. He spurred forward but to the side. Coming near where the goat was, he stood up on the spurs and yelled, "WHOA!" at the last moment, jumping off onto the rocks. Gaining back his balance, Jacob went into a deep squat and worked his way quietly toward the goat.

At the last moment, the goat looked up, saw him, and started to hop away- bleating. Jacob grunted and lunged himself at the goat's side. He hit the goat just barely in time to do more than land on his face and the goat fell over beside where he lay chuckling.

Celia

"And that's how you tip a goat." I affirmed to Kyrus, as though Jacob had merely been the assistant in my explanation. I was kind of put out that Jacob got one on his first try... it made me want to drop the idea for now, maybe come back later. "Anyway, there'll be plenty of time for goat tipping once we've gotten safely to Hayote."

((With that, I leaned back in my saddle and waited for a fast-forward. Chauncey and OneFeather are still waiting, ya know!))

Willaem raised an eyebrow at the boy. He had no clue the boy had such skill. Standing, Jacob returned to his horse, face colored with the health and youth that comes from making a fool of yourself, "My family raises goats. I would catch some from the mountains every now and then to tame and add to our herd."

Watching Jacob return to Celia's side, Willaem shook his head ruefully but only said, "We'll be arriving in just an hour or two. Less if you're all fine with a faster pace?"

((I kinda painted myself into a corner by going to lunch at the Lucky J. So... in the mean time I'm crocheting my fingers into total numbness and working on the newspaper and cooking, cleaning, homework with the kids, ironing school clothes, did I mention I was crocheting? I guess I'm kinda thankful for the slowness at the moment. Always here checking in and reading the posts. Did I mention I was crocheting for Christmas that's just 15 days away?))

((*stabs with adrenaline, force feeds cassia leave, shocks with defib pedals, and kisses as hard as she can* Hey- I'm not a princess or a prince... but I might as well try. ^_^"))

The group finally arrived in Hayote. Jacob had tipped another goat... and milked it for fun- Willaem would have to talk to that boy.

Almost immediately upon entering the city, the group was assaulted by two young boys- or rather... Willaem was. The boys' heads barely came up to the horse's back, but they scrambled onto it regardless. Their dark red/gold hair was a mess of shaggy curls and their grins just as dangerous as Willaem's, "Hey boys! You two've gotten too big! These are my boys, Rileigh and Leighton. Leighton's the one with tan. Rileigh appears to still spend all his time trying to read books."

Rileigh frowned, trying not to giggle, "I don't try anymore. I can read."

Leighton rolled his eyes, "I can ride a horse on my own... who's the boy?" He was clearly looking at Jacob.

Jacob raised his eyebrows but had to suppress a chuckle, "You can call me Jake... Leighton? I'm... Willaem's protege... his soldier and... student."

Rileigh looked to his father, "And the others? Introduce us, please."

Willaem chuckled and began the introductions.

((I really would like for someone to play the twins' mother... *ready to beg*))

Celia

"Nice to meet you, boys." I nodded to them from horseback and smiled. "Now if you'll excuse me..." The nearest local tavern was gonna be my first stop, it'd been forever since I had a drink! My horse had taken a couple steps before I reigned in, remembering something. "Uh, Kyrus, why doncha head off'n play with the boys? Younger or older, you take your pick, but I need to head off and take care of something right now."

Celia's statement had him at a disadvantage. He wouldn't know how to play if it rose up and nipped him on his bottom. He sure didn't think the towns folk would take kindly to him tipping their goats. He just nodded his head agreeably as he lowered himself from the horse, before he remembered his manners.

"Thank you Celia, I'm grateful for the ride here." Stooping quickly for a stone on the ground, he closed his fist around it for a moment. With a boyish grin he extended his hand to her. "For your trouble." He opened his palm to present her with the stone, transformed into a small lump of gold. "I'm sure Alric would have seen you paid for your labor."

As he acknowledged her departure he suddenly felt more alone here, in the bustling town, than he had felt the night he spent alone on the pass. Not quite sure where to go, he turned to Allisa. "Ma'am, we should try to find Allaphym's home. I believe she said we could shelter there." As soon as he thought of her, an impelling urge rose up in him to complete the task she had asked of him.

Celia

I took the gold from him, a bit stunned by the creation of this lump of precious metal. I brought it to my mouth and bit down on it gently. It was real! My eyes locked on Kyrus as the predatory instincts swirled behind them. "Say, um, boy, er, Kyrus..." There was a vicious struggle going on inside me, greed against what fragile friendship I'd formed with this kid. After a moment of indecision, I smiled at him. "Have a good time, now!" Was all I said, cursing myself internally for being too soft to take advantage of this potential bonanza. Well... I could always change my mind. For now, I was suddenly in much more dire need of that drink. "Buh Bye, and thanks!" I waved cheerily before setting my horse walking on down the road.

By the time I got to the tavern, I was wearing a sulky frown. "The Lucky J, huh?" I tied my horse to the post outside and went in, wondering what kind of place Allaphym's suggested watering hole would turn out to be. I ordered myself some bourbon and looked around... clean, more of a respectable eating establishment than the dark watering holes I generally did business in. First things first, I'd need to know what was going on around town if I was going to find any work.

I picked out a sensible looking couple sitting alone, enjoying their lunch, and approached them. "Hi there! I'm Celia!" I wondered a bit too late if I was interrupting, but sat down across from them and gave a friendly smile. "I'm new around here, and I'm still trying to get my bearings. Any interesting local news you might share?"

Allisa

"Yes, I'm sure we're all a bit tired from the journey." She agreed with a nod.

"I'm not." Brock put in immediately, shooting a quick glance at the two boys.

Gerald smiled slightly, knowing all to well how his son enjoyed clowning around with kids. "Ah, well, perhaps you'll wear yourself out. I, on the other hand, fully agree with my sensible daughter. Did she tell you where to find it, my boy?" He addressed the last bit to Kyrus.

Brock approached Willaem with a friendly grin, "Do you mind if I tag along? I might even lend you a hand keeping these young lads entertained."

Willaem chuckled, "If the boys are fine with it, I don't care... their mother will be upset with me already so it's not like that matters."

Rileigh and Leighton exchanged glances before leaping onto Brock, "You can come,"Leighton started.

"...but you have to play!" Rileigh finished with a grin.

Shaking his head, Willaem turned his horse slightly, "You three go on ahead... I need to speak for just a second with the others... but I'll catch up before you reach Halen." Patting down his horse, Willaem dismounted and walked over to Kyrus. Kneeling down, he put a hand on the boy's shoulder, "That was a good thing you did- giving her the gold... but you should be careful to whom you show your ability. If you have to use it, try to hide that you are. I saw something in Celia's face... I don't think she'll harm you, but someone else might." Standing, he picked his voice back up so the others could hear without straining, "I'll come by later to see how you guys are getting settled, and to bring young Kyrus some play mates. I'm sure my boys would love to teach a noble how to play." Willaem gave the boy a wink. He felt such a connection... perhaps some day he would share it.

Kyrus was somewhat pleased that Allisa agreed that they needed some rest. He had been dreaming of a soft place to sleep for days now. He was young, but his bones were beginning to ache from sleeping in the hidey-hole of carts, and on icy hard ground. He could also stand to eat a real meal; meat and potatoes, maybe even some pie. But first things first.

Gerald spoke up, asking if Allyphym had said where the house was. Kyrus shook his head, "No, she said to ask anyone in town and they would be happy to direct us to her home."

When Willaem approached he felt oddly comforted, as if by a father. He smiled wanly, "I'm sorry sir. I just assumed it was safe here. I promise to be careful in the future." Not sure just what he could possibly do here, Willaem offered to bring his sons by to teach him how to play. Though the thought scared him a bit, he was more comfortable around adults. He had been mostly separated from other children, spending the bulk of his time with his teachers. "Sir, is there by any chance a school here? Alric suggested I might be able to practice and hone my abilities, but he didn't go into much detail."

Willaem frowned slightly in thought, "No need to apologize, Kyrus. This- is a safe place... safer anyway... but like any place, there are good and bad." He took a deep breath in and continued, "I believe the house is to the north and the west but I can't help any more than that. As for a school... I know there is one from letters but it wasn't up last time I was here. The boys can help you there." He looked up to the adults to see if they had anything to say. For some reason, Jacob was staring in the direction Celia had departed.

Allisa

Gerald listened as Willaem spoke. "North and west, is it? Well surely we'll find it if we take a look around, perhaps query some of the people around that area." He slid down from his horse as Allisa moved to join him, she having dismounted earlier when Willaem's boys assaulted his steed. "Shall we?" He asked, taking the animal by the reigns.

Brock was grinning, taking a boy under each arm and hoisting them into proper sitting positions on his horse. "Why's she gonna be upset?" He asked without any real interest. "We're just showing the lads a good time, right?"

Willaem shrugged, "She wasn't warned I was coming... much less that there would be completely new visitors. Besides, she seems to try to find something to be upset with me for." Willaem sent Allisa a sideways glance, wondering if it were just women. He didn't know the whole situation with Alric, sure... but the previous... almost animosity didn't seem to be provoked.