Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
LadyTwilight

Puppy Mills

Are you considering buying a puppy now or in the future? Do NOT buy a puppy from a pet store, help to stop Puppy Mills!

I bought a puppy from a pet store a little over a year ago he was adorable. He was a dorgi half dachshund, half pembroke welsh corgi. He died 3 months after I bought him. From the day I got him home it was one health problem after another pneumonia, kennel cough, worms, and lastly a congenital heart defect that took him from us. When we went back to the pet store to warn them of this, thinking maybe they could save some other people heartache by stopping to breed whoever his parents were, we found out our Max was a product of a puppy mill. I was horrified. Since then I have become a strong advocate of adopting from shelters, and trying to educate people about the horrors of puppy mills. I hope to continue that was this thread.

width=300http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/chelseab4444/puppymill.jpg[/img]

Puppy Mill Facts:

According to the Oprah show investigation on Puppy Mills:

There are approximately ten thousand puppy mills in the United States.

The Humane Society of the United States believes that Ninety-nine percent of pet stores get their puppies from puppy mills.

Here are some videos on Puppy Mills:

Charlize Theron on Puppy Mills

Too Late?

Oprah Show Investigates Puppy Mills Part 1

Oprah Show Investigates Puppy Mills Part 2

Tribute Slideshow

Stop Puppy Mills (Breeding Prisons)

Websites on Puppy Mills:

Wikipedia on Puppy Farms/Mills

HSUS- Get the facts on puppy mills

PETA Puppy Mill Factsheet

HSUS Buying A Puppy

Stop Puppy Mills

Prisoners Of Greed

width=300http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm359/Lady_Twilight85/puppy_mills.gif[/img]

If you have any puppy mills facts, videos, website or article links or pictures please post them here.

i have to agree. my family has always bought out dogs from individual breeders, not stores. some easy alternative can be looking through you newpapers classifieds. also in my old town, we had a country store who sold to farmers and the like, (they also sold grain, farming supplies, flour, pet supplies, hunting stuff, etc.) these types of places get their animals from individuals, not farms; and the puppies go back to the owner at the end of the day if they havnt been sold. me and my sister used to go there just to play with the puppies. :]

My brother bought a dog from a pet store, and he nearly died. My mom tried to sue the pet store and get it shut down since we were pretty sure the owner was getting the dogs from puppy mills. She was never able to get the shop shut down.

Oh, no. Puppy Mills make me so sad. I've never experienced anything directly from them; we always get the dog that was the runt of a mistake litter :)

Just to clarify (I don't want to say anything totally ignorant) can you define them? I think I know what a puppy mill is...but you can never be too sure...

Puppy mills (also known as puppy farms outside of the United States) are large-scale dog breeding facilities that operate under substandard breeding conditions, causing the development of chronic health problems, temperament issues, and hereditary defects in puppies that come from the mills.

info taken from wikipedia

my parents would never allows us to purchase animals from the pet stores in the mall or at the large trade outlets...we were the ones that would take in the stray, lol...

s

I've heard of that and it's part of the reason why I dislike pet stores. Even when the pets get there, I don't think the pet stores take very good care of all their animals. One time, I was walking through a pet store with a friend and we noticed a dead mouse in the water bowl in one of the cells they kept the mice for sale in. We told one of the people who worked there and then stuck around for about 15-20 mins. to see what would happen. Nothing was done in that time. I've also seen beta fish left to die in the little cups they put them in.

It's really terrible how some people are willing to put animals through so much suffering just to make money.

@aeternus - a dead mouse in the water bowl??...oh, that is awful...i cant believe that they did nothing even after you said something...

but unless it directly affects the living cycle of most people, they will do nothing...

s

Was it by chance a feeder mouse?(Feeder mice= mice to feed to snakes) If it was a feeder mouse than that might be why. My boyfriend says pet stores careless about feeder mice than pet mice. Not that it makes the death of the mouse any better.

What gets me about puppy mills, and even pet stores, is that there are so many people who only want a new puppy. At the same time, there are so many dogs at shelters that are perfectly healthy but are put to sleep because so few people want an older dog.

@mizzou - you are so right...it's like people who adopt and will only adopt newborn babies...there are so many who could use a good home, but everyone wants things shiny and new..

s

Yeah that is sad, I got my dog from a shelter. Most people want to see their dog grow up, which is why they don't really adopt older dogs.

true, but i think individual needs should be deciding factors in what type/age dog would best fit...some people/families would do better with an adult dog, rather than a puppy that may need more attention, etc...

s

In my experience, getting an older dog has been much easier. And yet, they don't have that playfulness younger dogs have, and that's definitely part of the reasons people want puppies. Then, the cute fuzzy factor. That only lasts for a few months though.

Why would you buy puppies from stores, when they most likely have problems (behavioural (is that a word?) , physical) when you could get dogs or puppies from shelters? who NEED homes?

By the way...is it true, that some shelters kill the dogs once they have them for too long? Or is that just in movies?

@emma - yes, they have to because they do not have the space to continually take in dogs...they cost money to keep alive as well...it is an unfortunate reality of our world...however, there are some that are "no kill" shelters...

s

If more people would adopt from the shelters and not buy from pet stores than less dogs and cats would have to die. Another thing is for people who just own dogs/cats as pets is to get them fixed. That way there'd be less animals put in shelters.

i have a friend who wont fix his dog because he doesnt feel it is his right to take that away from her...meanwhile...she has had i dont know how many puppies..."that's why the lady is a tramp"...lol

s

If your friend doesn't think it's his right to fix his dog, does he take responsibility for all the puppies that are born?

If not, that's just being irresponsible.

@mizzou - sometimes he does...or he drops them off at an animal shelter when no one is there...leaves them in a box...it's so sad...and btw...this is a grown man of almost 30...

s

It's sad the some poeple won't fix their animals and just let them reproduce and then don't find good homes for all the baby. This is a horrible story: a family member of mine that I do not speak to anymore, had a bunch of cats on his farm that he wouldn't get fixed but when they'd have kittens hit tie them in bags and drown them. It's sickening that some people think that's okay. I can't handle being around people like that. I would have turned him in but I was little when it happened and I've cut ties with them since. I just don't understand how some people can be so cruel to animals. Whether they be domestic or wild. I think that penalties for animal cruelty are way to loose. They need to be so much stricter. People rarely even get a fine. For starving, beating, torturing, killing animals. It's disgusting.

he would put those kittens in bags and drown them?!?!...i just dont understand that...i simply do not...*sighs*...but it is the reality that is our world, unfortunately...

s

Yeah he would. It is horrible! I don't understand it either. We were always taken in stray and wounded animals and either fixing them up and releasing them if they were wild or making them part of our family. I think my family alone kept the local vet in business. Some people just see animals as objects though I guess. It's just so sad

Was it by chance a feeder mouse?(Feeder mice= mice to feed to snakes) If it was a feeder mouse than that might be why. My boyfriend says pet stores careless about feeder mice than pet mice. Not that it makes the death of the mouse any better.

I don't think they were because they were right beside the other pets for sale, like the guinea pigs and gerbils. This was years ago so I can't remember what the sign said, though, but I'm pretty sure they were for sale as pets not as feeder mice.

@LadyT

Wow, that's absolutely TERRIBLE to hear that someone would actually drown animals on purpose because he didn't want to take responsibility for them. There are dozens of other ways to get rid of cats you don't want - give them away, sell them, etc. It's just a disgusting act to kill them like that and in such a slow and torturous way. I agree that people who commit such acts should be harshly dealt with.