Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mizzou

2008 Summer Olympics

oh yeah that in beijing

did u kno there is a panda in real life was named after the mascot "jingjing" in the 2008 olympics

the panda in real life named "jingjing" was showed on Growing Up Giant Panda on Animal Planet

I'm excited to see the opening show. I saw some images that were leaked out and it looks pretty cool.

I like watching gymnastics for the summer olympics. I use to do gymnastics when I was young, so I know something about it. I find I get bored with a lot of sports and I think it's because I don't fully understand whats going on.

Although, with the new scoring system I'll probably be confused with gymnastics now too :lol:

Did anyone see the opening ceremony? I completely missed it.

I'm really hoping to see some of the soccer games but with the time difference I'll probably just be able to see the highlights. Unless I don't want to get any sleep for the next little awhile. :o

man, the opening ceremony just ended and wow it was BEAUTIFUL!!!

the dances were choreographed very, very well and there were all types of traditional Chinese dances and whatever and there are almost 2000 people for just one dance.

whew. The stadium is cool. Bird nest! XD

And oh yeah the countries representatives marched past. ^^ very awesome. i saw Malaysia! But the disappointing thing is that they weren't wearing the traditional outfits. They were just wearing the baju melayu, the traditional Malay costume. (looks good ^^ ) They should have worn a combination of Malaysian culture outfits like the cheongsam and samfoo for the Malaysian Chinese, sarees and dhotis for the Indians, and the traditional Iban, Sarawakian, Kadazans and Sabahan outfits.

Now THAT shows the true spirit of Malaysian culture. And the Malaysian people were quite dead. XD they just walked, hardly a smile.

I mean, look at the people from Finland and Great Britain, waving their flags, shouting and jumping, how lively! ^^

I like to watch gymnastics, diving, synchronized swimming, some track and field, white-water kayaking, and cycling. And women's softball. (I can't believe it got axed as an Olympic sport!)

Not that I have time to watch all of that, but those are my favorites, I think.

I can't believe some of the things that are Olympic sports. Most notably, curling in the winter Olympic. I shouldn't say that too loudly, those are fighting words where I live.

The opening ceremony hasn't aired where I live yet. It starts in a couple of hours. I'm more excited now though since some of you guys have seen it and say it's really good.

I couldn't find an online video. I bet one will pop up before the weeks over though. I found these pictures.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/08/photogalleries/Beijing-Olympics-photos/index.html

Yay, I just saw Canada go by in the parade of nations or whatever it's called! ^-^ *sniff* I'm so proud of them! Also, after snooping around Wikipedia a little, I found out that Canada's flag-bearer graduated from my university. w00t!

Haven't really seen much else except for the parade yet. I was taking a nap >_>

OMG! i was completely mesmerized with the opening show last night. it was so enchanting. thousands of people were involved. it was really awsesome. a jaw-dropper.

I just got done watching the opening show. It really was beautiful. There was so much going on and it so many people involved. And I've never seen that many fireworks go off at once in my life. They did an awesome job with it. I feel bad for the cheerleaders that were cheering for the parade part though it lasted for ever :lol: they must have been tired by the end of it.

The opening ceremony's awesome!!

Drums, puppets, painting, floating Olympic rings, cute 5 year old girl at the piano, and so many more!

Btw, do you know the title of the song sung by... "a standing man, and a sitting lady with the gu-qin"?

that was so cool--i saw part of it. all of china's ethnic costumes (what was it, 56 of them?) were beautiful. it was worth my while just to see that.

fencing = amazing. i'd love to do that. it was on here not too long ago. Mom said USA won gold, silver and bronze in it.

also like: volleyball, beach volleyball, archery, and CREW (cheers for one of the few sports i've managed--my crew coach is a junior olympic crew coach. amazing guy)

@Ladyt

i fell asleep while watching the parade, and when i woke up, the parade was still ongoing :lol: the energetic and jumping cheerers were hardly moving by that time. their muscles must have ached so much with that.

The Olympics are so boring at the beginning.... I hope that the actual sports will be more interesting.

:Ambulance: I'm dieing of boredom watching the parades and stuff. At the beginning it was cool, but I think it's too much. lol

OOH! yay, the Olympics!

I love all the events! Can't seem to choose a favorite, though...

I loved how they did that stuff with the people. They did it so well, i found myself searching for one single mistake. I FINALLY found one. But only one... Maybe there was more, but i fell asleep (like Abby) half-way through the thing, and didn't wake up until Beijing was marching.

Has anyone seen the news that Georgia (the country, not the state) may pull out of the Olympic because of the attack by Russia? It really sad when violence gets in the way of the games especially when it is meant to bring different countries together. Traditionally, there is a truce between warring countries during the games.