Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mae

The Fight for Independence -RP (open spots)

((@Everace: Welcome to the RP.

@Lrcy: Dragar's 33, you do the math. :) The relationship is very close to that of a father and a daughter (in effect they have been father and daughter for many years), there's nothing weird going on.))

Grada

"Old enough or not, I'm the only father you have," Dragar said gruffly, then continued: "and I think I've done a good enough job in raising such a strong young woman as you are. But if they begin to question, we may tell them the truth. Your parents died in a fire and I raised you. That should stop the questions about my youth.

"Let's get going. I'll tell you about what I'm to do here while we go there. You lead the way. This old man will follow." As he said the last sentence he made his voice thin and trembling, and took up the posture of an arthritic old man, but his eyes smiled.

He was quite unsure how to explaing things to her in a way that would leave no further questions unanswered. With her, there would always be questions, and a part of him was happy about that. Not the part that would have to answer those questions, though.

He started with a story he had told her many times. This time a shortened version of it.

"Years ago, Nimina was an independent nation, people lived in prosperity, that was back when Halma was the capital. There were universities, libraries, theatres. My father told me that it was the best place on Earth. His father had been a professor. Our family was of great esteem back then, as were many that are now cast to oblivion. Back then there were no beggars, none that had not chosen that life for themselves. The taxes were moderate, and you could speak your mind.

"There was a threat of war from Antasia, 50 years ago. Our queen Saranda was tricked into signing a peace treaty that allowed the Antasians complete rule over this land. Over the course of the following ten years, the royal family as well as all nobility was hunted down and obliterated. Halma's cultural heritage was destroyed, the universities, theatres and libraries now lie in ruin, and every man or woman that can think for himself is forced to stay quiet for fear of his life or the life of his family.

"50 years is too long a time for us to have just let this happen. We have worked under cover until now, protecting those that would be persecuted, but now is the time for the people to defend their land. We must go to war and procure independence for this country once again. Now we are gathering forces. I will start here, and we will stop at many villages before we lead these people to Halma to train and prepare for war. Then we shall go to Nurme and reclaim it from the Antasians."

I started to explain that he was all the father I ever wanted... but he went on before I could. Leading the way, I listened and as I did so, something troubled me. My parents died in a fire; I've known that as long as I can remember... but no one has ever bothered to explain to me how I survived; and what was this about "protecting those who might be persecuted"? Dragar and I have been running from something all my time with him. He's been my constant protector... and my only family. "Who were they, Dragar?"

I turned a corner, down a small alley and came out in a secluded pasture. There were also some woods in which we could most likely find a clearing were he extremely wanting of privacy today... which was very possible. Stopping I turned around to him, expecting an answer, my eyes swimming with doubt and sadness. There had been something else, in his voice, which scared me- the foreshadowing of a goodbye.

Grada

Dragar snapped out of his daze that always seemed to take over him when he was telling stories to Talei. "Who were who? The ones needing protection? Well, I think you're old enough to find out. Now you must never repeat this to anyone, until the war is over to our advantage. Lives depend on it." He checked that there was no one to hear him, but lowered his voice so that only Talei could hear him, signalling her to stop. "Not all of the nobles died in the Massacres. There were some who survived, and their family lines have been continued. I'm not high enough in the ranks of our organization to know where all of them are. And then there are others who would speak up against the Antasians. Those that are highly educated enough and know about the history of this land. That is why I'm on the run. And you, my dear, have had the misfortune of ending up with me."

He had seen a trace of worry in her expression, but there was nothing for it. It was better for her to be worried, and perhaps more alert. He remained quiet, giving her time to understand what he had just said.

Every muscle in my body hardened and every word hurt to say, "My parents... who were my parents, Dragar? Who were my family? My first family."

Grada

This was the question Dragar had feared. He could not look her in the eye. He ran his hands through his hair and closed his fists. "I cannot tell you any more than I already have. I didn't know them well. They were good people, farmers all their lives. They loved you, they wanted the best for you, but they couldn't give that to you. It was a horrible accident, and it was a miracle you survived the fire. You know all this." By the end of it he was shouting and when he realised it, he stopped and turned away from her. He took a deep breath.

"Enough of this. Take out your dagger." His tone of voice was such that did not invite any more questions.

((this is a perfect example of thread-hogging. ;) But since there aren't any people here with D&T, I don't see a problem with it. Any kind of thread-hogging by two people will be discouraged when there are more people in the party or the location, to give people a chance to react.))

((@Marian: It's healthy to fantasize, but rather than pretending I'm tagging along after you, try thinking of Orlando Bloom. Lots of girls like that Orlando Bloom, ya know! It's true that he can't act his way out of a paper bag, but that doesn't matter. He's sexy, and he's got a goutee. In the end, isn't that what really counts in a guy?))

There was still some time before the meeting. I could have spent it relaxing at home, where perhaps a villager might wander in for a visit, but I was feeling restless. Also, I suddenly felt very uncomfortable being so close to it, despite having thought myself long past such feelings. I decided to pay a visit to a friend, Miryam, to see if I couldn't talk away the stress.

I found her in her garden, as usual, tending a variety of herbs that I knew to be top quality ingrediants in a number of balms and salves required for our trade. "Now why is it you're the only woman I know who looks yet more lovely caked in dirt?" I smiled at her as I approached, then bent to help with her weeding.

I was familiar with which herbs were useful, and could tell which ones were weeds, but my movements lacked the efficiency of hers when I pulled at the weeds. I accidentally snapped one off at the stem instead of uprooting it as I was supposed to, and grimaced as I dug to get at the rest of it. Truly gardening was not my specialty.

"Ah..." I lifted the root out of the ground, pausing as I sought to shape my thoughts. "These newcomers to town." I squeezed on the plant in my hand out of anxiety. "Did you see them? Do you think they're... Antasian?" I had personal reasons to fear the coming of Antasians, though it was not entirely for myself that I feared.

Miryam barely paused from her weeding when Luther approached and started weeding. "Thanks for the help Luther. It's nice having an extra pair of hands around here." She laughed to herself when she saw Luther struggling with a weed.

"I saw the newcomers come in last night, they're staying at the tavern. I'm not really sure where they are from but I suspect the news they bring isn't good."

Miryam stood up, she had been weeding all morning and was getting thirsty. "Can I offer you some tea? It's my special blend." Without waiting for his response, she headed into the house and came back out with two glasses.

"Ah, thank you." I eagerly accepted one of the glasses. Sipping at the tea helped to soothe my nerves, which I very much needed just then. I smiled again, feeling more relaxed, and somehow suspected Miryam's expertise with herbs extended beyond strictly medicinal plants.

"Sorry if I seem a bit gloomy, I've probably no reason to be worrying over worst case scenarios." I thought a moment, then came out with it. "I just keep fearing that Antasian history will repeat itself. If they go to war again with a neighboring country, it may very well be the case that officials will come here to draft whomever can hold a weapon." The tea clouded in front of my eyes as old images of fire and blood bubbled to the surface of my mind. I felt myself wince at the memory.

Madazen slowly gulped his coffee. The breakfast room was full and he only wanted a cheese, a biscut, and some coffee. He saw the newcomers disscussing something at a table far to the end of the breakfast room. Madazen assumed they already had eaten breakfast. He sipped the last of his cooffe and walked over to the table. "I'm not your enemy and I am sorry about yesterday, just tell me this, are you Antasians?" Madazen looked at the both of them steernly. "If you are, you can say goodbye to Grada and leave, if you are not, then tell me if you guys are armed. If you are then I think you know that war coming, if you are planning to enter that war, I am more than happy to assist you guys." The teenage girl and the man looked at him wierdly but Madazen kneeled in front of them, Madazen knew that he could not go alone.

((come now, ev... orlando can act his way out of a bag... just not into one. ;) and I'm certainly not fantasizing... not about you anyway. I can't help but imagine that Jhozian. :P

*looks up* wow... I didn't realize we were hogging the thread. o.O won't be doing THAT again. >.<))

Something seemed... off about Dragar's answer but I sighed and pulled out my dagger. "Ready."

((@Marian: It takes two to hog up a thread... ;)

@Lrcy333: We're pretty far from the tavern at the moment, sorry. You're just going to have to wait until sunset))

Grada

Dragar trained Talei hard, hardly speaking a word, until he had worked up a sweat, was out of breath and could no longer continue. The sun had long passed its zenith. It was few hours before sunset when he sat down, saying "I think it's enough for now. You've improved already. Shh. Look, a rabbit." There was a plump brown rabbit on the other side of the clearing. He knew she would know what to do, so he gave no instructions. She had long been better with the bow and arrows than he would ever be.

((exactly. so I won't be willing to do it again- which means WE won't be doing it again. ;)))

I grinned, wiped some sweat away from my eyes and quickly brought my bow up and shot. The arrow flew beautifully before landing in the rabbit. A little way off, I saw another one, shot, and nodded. I had enough for my dagger now. Retrieving both animals, I looked to Dragar. Sometimes he wanted to skin, sometimes he wanted me to skin... depending on his mood.

Grada

Dragar nodded. "It's your kill, go ahead and skin them. That way the sheath might protect you better. But we should be getting back to the tavern. I have a lot to think about before sunset. Although, if you want to, I can leave you alone for a while and go on my own."

Salie

The old woman finished her tea. If the girl did not want to talk, Hilda would not pressure her. There was a knock on the door. Hilda got up from her chair slowly and limped to the door, then opened it. A new shipment of goods had arrived at the harbour and a messenger boy had been sent to inform Hilda about it. She thanked the messenger boy and gave him a copper piece.

She returned to the sitting room. The girl was still there. "We are now going to the harbour to pick out some new merchandise," Hilda said. She wrapped her shawl more tightly around her fragile-looking body and made to leave the house. "Come on, we haven't got all day," she said.

I nodded and sat to begin skinning the animals, "I would like to stay for a while. Would it bother you if I walked around? Got to know some of the people here?"

Miryam noticed that Luther seemed lost in thought and suddenly wince. She suspected it had something to do with his past given what had he just said but she didn't feel like it was her place to ask. If he wanted to talk about it, he would.

"Are you going to the meeting tonight?" She asked Luther. "It seems odd that they just came to town and suddenly want to have a meeting with townfolk."

((@Lrcy333: I know how you feel, I'm getting a bit antsy waiting for the story to progress as well.

@marian: Rippling muscles, carefree devil-may-cry attitude, fierce loyalty to the woman he chooses to love... mmmmhh, that Jhozian gets me hot too.))

I blinked, old visions clearing from my head at the sound of Miryam's voice. "Hrm? Oh, yes. I'd like to see for myself just what sorts of tidings these people bring." I sipped at the tea once more before going on. "Not many people bother to travel to a small village like our Grada, so either they consider their message quite important or..." A smile flickered on my lips. "...or perhaps they have a new miracle elixer to sell to the people. The last one was quite a marvel... I'd have never guessed that sea water could cure so many ailments!"

((i'm hoping the story will progress in Mae's next post... as in she leaves me and jumps to tonight... *crosses fingers*

as for Shaed- sorry, but I have a real guy.. one who's not furry or behooved.))

((@Lrcy & Everance: I'm feeling the same way))

Miryam laughed at the memory of the last peddler to come to town. "That one was fun to prove as a fraud." Miryam's smile quickly turned to a frown. "Unfortunately, from the looks of those two, they are not here to sell things."

((@marian: Oh please. Boyfriend or no everyone has a guilty little fantasy now and then, whether or not it's about Shaed. Hrm... I wonder if I should start a thread asking people about their romantic fantasies in the village square? It might make for some interesting posts!))

A sigh. "No, I suppose not." I glanced at the sky. "Sunset isn't too far off. Shall we travel down to the village square to see what we can see? Even if we arrive early, I'm sure there will be others gathered who'll not turn down a good chat."

((haha. it'd be interesting to see how amanda reacted to that one. as for fantasies... I suppose that is the symptom of fancying someone... but I don't go for hooves. so shaed's out. *shrugs* sorry.))

((I'm pretty sure your description mentioned hooves... but I could be wrong. I've been picturing Shaed with hooves this entire time though... *clicks tongue* if I'm wrong... then I wonder where I got that from. lol

anyway, enough spam. Sorry, Mae. Erm... I'm really just ready to skip to the meeting... I think we all are. *looks around for agreement*))