Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mae

The Fight for Independence -RP (open spots)

((I've been anxious to get to the meeting myself for a while... But there were some things that needed to be cleared before that, hence the whole thread-hogging incident. So I take it most people agree that it's okay to jump ahead to the meeting, and those that don't, well, I'm sorry, can't be helped.))

Grada, the Village square

Dragar had left Talei alone hours ago. He was a bit anxious for her, since she had not yet returned, but he could not help it. He would have to speak to the people, before they all left. It was a miracle so many had arrived. There were nearly people waiting for him to speak up, from what he heard, most of the village's population. Before the year would be over, he would have to speak to crowds far larger than that, but he had to start somewhere.

He cleared his throat. "Thank you all for coming. You must be wondering why I called for this meeting, a stranger who has no business here. But what I have to say concerns us all, and none of us can afford to miss it.

"You know the history of our country full well. You know that 50 years ago, our independence was tricked away from us by the Antasians. They have made this once powerful nation diminish into a shadow of its former self.

"You have heard rumours of oncoming war. Yes, war is coming, and we must fight. Our dear land has been raped enough! We have been pushed too far! How many of you find the Antasian taxes reasonable? How many of you have wished for half of your crop to be taken by outsiders?

"Some of you remember happier times," he said looking at a group of old women. "We must bring back those happier times, and we cannot do that unless we break the hold that Antasia has over this country. We have no choice, this must be done by force. As I speak, a force of strong, wise and proud people is starting to gather at Halma, our defiled former capital. It is there that we must march. We will take over the rule of this land, but we need you. We will train on the way, we will gather at Halma, we will march to Nurme, and claim our land back from the usurpers!

"Antasians we are not, Guerrans we will not become, so let us be Niminians!"

Madazen was listening to the stranger while leaning on a post. hmph...what are these guys thinking, will these villagers really go with just some strangers that showed up. Wait, the war. Hmmmm...... maybe. Fine. Madazen stopped leaning and yelled out, "OIE, Stranger! When do we leave! Yes, I am willing to come, I already felt this war coming and I am willing to help. I am a 2nd class archer and a pro at making medicines. My name is Madazen Hanbonaru! I can supply you with horses and a few supplies. Don't underestimate my skill level. I shall help the Niminians!" Madazen raised his fist in the air then put it down and ran next to the stranger. "First, tell me your name stranger."

A young man spoke out. The face was familiar to Dragar. It was in fact the young man that had directed him and Talei to the Tavern. He had shown himself to Dragar in a non-flattering way the night before, but he was willing to fight. As long as he would keep himself from the drink, he would be an asset. Good, the rest will follow once one has shown himself forward. He could see some of the younger men in the group of villagers look at Mazaden, then him, and seem willing to hear more.

"Good man, Mr. Hanbonaru. My name is Dragar Klares and I have been working against the Antasians for all my life. We leave as soon as we can, but we will not stay longer than a week. The road ahead will be perilous and we must look out for spies at any turn. It will not be without reward, for the greatest reward is ahead of us, once we reach Nurme. Your offer of supplies and horses is well appreciated, and I will accept anything that will help us reach our goal."

The day passed by slowly. It was a small village so there wasn't much to do, and Vega didn't think she'd be particularly welcome at the village's only tavern so soon after last night's incident. And so, Vega attempted to pass the time by observing the villagers, walking around, scouting the area, and when she got hungry, swiping a a loaf of bread here, an apple there, and perhaps a flagon of cordial to wash it all down. In other words, a typical day for a wandering thief.

As the sun hovered by the horizon, Vega began to notice the villagers gathering at the village square. At first, she attempted to catch a seat on one of the nearby rooftops but the daylight sun had heated them up so that they burned her bottom enough to make it unbearably uncomfortable, so she leapt down and sat herself down on the edge of the well along with some of the other villagers.

She recognized the speaker as the male traveler that had arrived at the tavern last night, although she wondered briefly where the young girl was. Vega glanced around. The girl wasn't in sight. Well, seeing how close they were and how small Grada was, she had to be around somewhere and if she wasn't, she'd come soon. But soon after the man, identifying himself as Dragar, finished speaking, the drunken man from last night (a certain Madazen) spoke up to join the resistance force.

From her place, Vega couldn't help but let out a loud laugh. "You sound heroic, I'll give you that, but where will heroism get you? The answer is easy: nowhere. There's a reason why the Antasian army has conquered half of the known world. I doubt you're the first to try to resist them and, after they crush you and your measly little rag-tag army, you won't be the last."

Then, Vega shrugged, although the mocking grin didn't disappear from her face. "Well, feel free to join up but you'd be foolish to join if you're only doing it for a far-fetched dream. Most likely, you'll end up dead. Take my advice and just stay home, keep quiet, and don't make trouble. At least you'll be able to keep your head - and I mean that quite literally."

The other stranger, the one Robbie had pointed out the day before, spoke, and she spoke out all the doubts and fears Dragar himself had, but could never voice out.

"True, there isn't much hope that we would succeed. At least not with the knowledge you now have. But there are forces at work, people who have been striving for this goal for nearly fifty years, just waiting for the right time to act. That time is now.

"And no, we have not just quietly hid when their people have been in danger. There has not been open war, but that doesn't mean there hasn't been resistance. Many of you have heard of those that have spoken up againts the taxes, and the mysterious accidents that have happened to them. Many of those people have, in fact, been protected, and are not dead. They are now, and have always been, willing to fight for each and every one of you. Are you willing to fight for yourselves?

"You say we will be crushed. So what if we will? The world will not sit idle just watching our strife. The Guerrans will come. And others after them. They will help us fight off the Antasians. Why, you might ask. Because, like the young lady said, the Antasians have rule over half of the world, and show no signs of stopping there. They will not fight only for us, they will fight for themselves, their land and their families.

"We are not as isolated as the Antasians would like you to believe. The resistance has had messages from beyond the borders, and sent some back. We will have the world's support."

I watched calmly from the shadows for much of the preceding. I made sure none could see me- an act confirmed by the woman we'd seen at the bar. She spoke with doubt and mockery. Calmly, I grabbed my cork ball and threw it to the crowd. Before it had fallen half a foot, I shot it in mid-air. Stepping out of the shadows, I asked for someone to retrieve my ball and arrow for me, "That is what training brings, good people. Imagine an army with that kind of training. I can assure you that an army of the Antasians' size has not had that training. Between training and actual drive, the size or history of an army matters not. This war will be fought on land we know. It will be fought for land we know. It will be fought for freedom, pride, dignity lost. Numbers can only take you so far."

I scanned the faces of the people before resting on the woman who spoke, "Numbers can only get you so far. They don't win a war. Heart wins a war."

((Is anyone else reminded of Braveheart with this?))

Miryam quietly listened to what they had to say. She knew they were right about the coming war and higher taxes would devastate her. She was barely getting by as is. Nothing was really keeping her here but her own stubbornness. But she wasn't sure what she could do, she wasn't a fighter. She also wasn't sure she trusted these two. She finally had enough and spoke up.

"Fine words for someone who can fight. What are you meaning to do here? Take all our able fighters and leave us undefended?"

I shook my head, "I can hunt and defend... but offense is completely foreign to me. I can't fight..." I looked to Dragar, unsure of my part in this. Once more, the thoughts I'd had of his... procrastination of getting to the village came back. I feared he might leave me, and hoped that wasn't the case.

((@Mizzou: I've never seen it... My inspirations, and near direct quotes, come from another source.))

Dragar had seldom been prouder of Talei than he was when he saw her speak up. I have done my job well, she is strong and will be able to lead, when the time comes. He smiled at her reassuringly, she seemed hesitant when replying to a woman voicing her concerns. He decided to speak up again. It was not Talei's burden to recruit. Not yet.

"I will take none that do not go willingly. There is no place in battle for those that do not wish to fight, in one way or another. But if none came, and all stayed behind to defend the village, how long do you suppose that you would last once the Antasians come here? War is coming, and the only question that remains is, do you fight for what is important to you or do you hide your head in a bush?

"And for those that stay behind, your task is to keep this land thriving, to live your lives as happily as you can, and to remember those that come after you. It is for them that this war is fought, our children and grandchildren." As he finished, he turned his eyes back to Talei and let them show all the love that he felt for her. This was as much for himself as for the performance.

((Apparently I'm completely unable to make short posts here. I hope I'm not boring you all to death with Dragar's babbling. He can get carried away sometimes.))

"Well, we have people doubting we can't fight. If anyone is to doubt, I suggest you fight me now or regret it. As we know it, the Antasians are probbly crossing through the forest around the moutain pass. The river is their last obstacle into Grada. If any of you choose to stay here, then I have warned you. When we finally win this war all of you who did not come will be sorry. And we have a spy here right now don't we." Madazen shot two arrows in front of the person. "I have seen many cowards trying to run away, where are the great Niminians, they don't live up to there name if they can't fight! Trust me and leave this village, you would have a better chance to survive by that."

((Lrcy, who did Madazen shoot at? "The person" is not an adequate description. Please specify in the future. Since you didn't specify for now, I'll pretend that he didn't shoot any arrows >< Also, Marian, I hope you don't mind but I'm also pretending that no one has picked up your arrow yet since you never wrote that anyone actually picked it up XD If you really feel differently, let me know and I'll change my post.))

Vega listened and rolled her eyes as Dragar and the others continued to make their heroic speeches, filled with glorious dreams of victory when they were really staring death in the face.

"Have any of you fought an Antasian soldier? If you haven't, pray you don't. And if you have, then you know it can be difficult," Vega said, unshouldering her bag and drawing out from it a long, black leather whip. With a flick of her wrist, the whip cracked into the air, snapping Talei's arrow clean in half. "I have fought some and despite all my training, it landed me in prison for a while.

"And you think that others will come to our aid? Tell me, where were the others fifty years ago when Antasia took over? And where have they been since then? If they haven't come to help in fifty years, what are the chances of them coming now?" Vega continued fiercely as she wound her whip back again, this time attaching it to her belt instead of putting it away in her bag again. "I'll tell you something else. I've traveled far and wide and Antasia's power is great and feared. Countries are doing all they can to protect themselves and in the end, that's all that matters to them. If you fight Antasia, you fight alone...and to your demise. Dreams and heart alone won't win you a war against a world superpower."

At this, Vega picked up Talei's cork ball and pressed it into her hand. "Take my word for it. You're better off keeping your miserable heads down and staying out of trouble."

Then, she turned, glared at Mazaden, whom she still regarded with disgust after last night at the tavern, and said, "Fool. If there is a spy amongst us, the Antasians are already a step ahead of you, aren't they? Certainly, Antasia has its spies. You say they are already on their way here through the mountain pass? You're wrong. Of course, the Antasians are everywhere where they have control. If one is here in Grada, they certainly wouldn't reveal themselves to the likes of you."

After that, she turned back to Dragar and looked at him challengingly. "Still, your heroic plan is interesting. I'm a mercenary for hire and I'm currently jobless. If you are willing to compensate me accordingly, I think I'd be willing to help you out."

Madazen threw a bag of 400 silver coins in front of the young lady, but Madazen raised his bow. "Think you are better, eh. Then fight me! We will see how great you really are, but you are also right, heroics are not needed." Madazen shot an arrow in the air, and watched it explode (Madazen carries different types of arrows). "If you are coward then be one, I shouldn't even belong here in Nimina if that's the case. Your skill level is nothing, Vega! That whip of yours would fall apart at any sundering or piercing weapon. I have encountered Antasians many times and killed them all. War just brings death and sorrow as always. Your mind Vega dosen't realize what the outcome is, but you Vega are't willing to help change the outcome."

((@aeternus~oh, sorry. I meant any random person actually cause I can't refer to an rp))

((erm... how does madazen know vega's name? and you were correct, aet, in that no one had picked up the arrow yet.

Hrm... that's a lot of the same stuff said to Colonies/Texas about Britain/Mexico. But I can't point that out, can I? How frustrating.))

Firmly, I turned my attention to Madazen, who was continuing to earn my contempt, "We aren't in need of fights here. We'll have plenty of that in the future. While it's true that Antasia is a strong and feared nation, there are still many thriving nations out there. It is untrue that they are struggling to stay on their feet. The news you receive- that all but the port towns receive is censored and twisted by the core of our troubles. They want to drive fear into our hearts and doubt into our minds." I looked at Dragar and saw the pride in his eyes. Feeling truth was the best policy here, I added, "While it's true that many will die, no more heartbreak will be caused than for those who already disappear... and this heartbreak will at least be for something. It will have meaning. A tyranny should not be allowed to remain untested... and that's what we're under- a tyranny. If a mangy wolf joined a pack of dogs under the guise of a dog itself then took charge with violence, would you allow it to remain out of fear? I have seen many of you farmers and hard workers and I don't believe that you are cowards. I don't believe that you would allow that infection to remain. So why are you doing it when you are the infected yourselves?"

Fight? For what? Land? Taxes? Patriotism? Did any of those things matter if you lost your life?

...perhaps. Perhaps one thing still mattered, transcending the death of the body. Freedom.

I had never been 'free' before. Not before I knew life in Grada, and not living here under Antasian rule. I'd heard stories of brave heroes who gave blood, sweat, and even life for freedom. True heroes, and not... not simple murderers spawned from war. Nothing like...

"I will fight." I spoke out. "I have some experience on the battlefield, and like a number of my friends I am practiced in the ways of medicine."

((@all: I really should have looked at your characters more carefully before I decided to make Luther yet another doctor...

@marian: My description does mention his feet specifically, naming them as paws with massive curved blade-like talons. There were also points during the story where he used his cat paws to pad around stealthily, like when he snuck up on Yen in the kitchen.

I'm not really certain how that misconception came into being, but Nancy says you once asked me if Shaed was like a satyr. Apparently I said something like 'yes, but with cat parts.' ))

((@Everace: yea, there are quite a few characters with medical abilities. I'm having trouble trying to think of a good reason for my character to go now since that is about all she does...maybe I should change that at some point))

((hmm... yeah... I remember that... I actually remember my exact thought pattern that day. I think I understand how the hooves stayed... I wasn't thinking those parts... and the talons definitely help. Satyrs' hooves are described as talons in many... i know too much folk lore. Point is- it makes sense to me now and we can drop it. ^_^"

anyway... back to topic. erm... there is plenty of need for medicine in a war... casualties and all. ;) It's actually a good thing we have so many medical practitioners.

Talei has spoken enough, I think... for now. Mae, Dragar's turn.))

((@Marian: This RP is actually very loosely based on Finland of 1915, when we were under Russian rule, a tiny little country and a huge country that rules it. Two years later Finns got their independence (yeah, our, but I wasn't there). And some of the things that Dragar says, I have translated from the things that were being said back then. And thanks for reminding me when it's my turn. lol.

@Everace: When you pm'ed to me, I had a pretty good overall idea of everyone's characters, and still do. There are only three characters that have some healing skills worth mentioning, and two that can do it really well. Miryam is more into herbal healing, as Luther is experienced in everything that can be found on a battlefield, where herbs are not the thing, even though helpful. So don't think your character is at all redundant.

@All: I'll be going away tomorrow to a friend's wedding, and won't be back until Sunday. But on Monday I'll be moving flats and won't get my internet until Wednesday, so there will be a little break between my posts. You can just prepare for the journey or something like that, or just have fun.))

Dragar was confused. The man called Madazen just seemed too eager, to go with him, and to accuse others of being spies. Could he be an Antasian spy? Dragar would have to keep his eye on him. But why would the Antasians send such amateurs?

The woman of the night before spoke again. She had had experience of fighting with the Antasians. Had she been a part of the resistance? Disillusioned she had been, for certain, but willing to fight again, for a cost. Could they afford such cost? They needed all the experienced fighters they could get, but wouldn't a mercenary abandon her allies for a greater prize?

He saw Talei's eyes flare up, and they appeared to glow with passion as she spoke. He wondered if she herself was aware of this.

Then a man Dragar had not met before, spoke, offering his abilities to the fight. How come Dragar had the feeling that his face was familiar?

Dragar turned to the stranger woman. "I know not your name, nor your price, but as I said, I will take none that do not go willingly. To assign terms, is not to go willingly. What proof do I have that you would not turn to our enemy for more silver or gold? Mercenaries are only after one thing. If you come with us, come to protect your people, do not come for fame or glory or wealth. Those things are fleeting."

He then turned his attention to the man that had spoken, the one he had not met. "Any experienced fighter is welcomed to our ranks."

Vega watched smugly as Madazen was put down by the young woman. She liked her. She had spirit, still somewhat rough and unrefined by youth, and it was rather refreshing, even if her heroic speeches were a little tiresome (likely influenced by Dragar). Nevertheless, her eyes instinctively traveled to the bag of money that Madazen had thrown at her feet. She picked it up, opened it, and looked inside, weighing it carefully.

"Silver? I prefer being paid in gold," she said, wrinkling her nose just a little. Still, she took out one coin and bit into it to test it. Satisfied, she put the coin back and threw the coin bag into her own bag. "However, I'll take this as a preliminary payment."

At this, she turned back to Dragar. "If you expect me to stick around, you'll have to come up with more along the way. I normally expect half the payment up front and the other half when my job is complete but since this looks like a lengthy mission and the risk is so high, I'll expect payments throughout. And like I said, I prefer my payments in gold but I'm pretty flexible - silver, treasure, objects of worth, and even occasionally favours I'm willing to accept.

"But as for loyalty, you have my word and that's as good as it'll ever get. You'll just have to trust me, won't you?" she added with a challenging grin and a quick wink.

"Oh, and by the way...the name's Vega."

((@Mae: Braveheart's about the First War of Scottish Independence, so it's a very similar setup

@all: I've seemed have backed myself into a corner and I'm not sure how to get out. I'm new to RP so I make mistakes you'll have to forgive me. Anyways, I can't think of a good reason for my character to go that doesn't strike me as out of character. She's never trained with weapon before and she can be a bit stubborn but as I've said she's a skilled healer and herbalist. If anyone wants to help me out, please do.))

Miryam had heard and seen enough. She has always been a little weary of newcomers until she gets to know them better and she didn't trust these two...yet. She turned and started to head back to her cottage.

((@Mizzou: No need to rush her decision, surely something will come naturally that flows with the story.))

There had been something faint in Dragar's eyes when he looked at me, as if he could almost recall something he was trying to remember. It unnerved me, and very much made me wish to be somewhere else. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Miryam turn to take her leave, and quickly decided to tag along with her.

"You seem unconvinced." I said, trying to gauge her expression once we were apart from the crowd. "Whats wrong, Miryam? Somehow I don't think that you of all people are simply afraid to go." I considered a moment. "Are you worried what will happen to Grada if we both leave?"

((@Mizzou: You're not obliged to leave with them. I've got something very special planned for little Grada... :evil: ))

((@I get the impression from the smiley that it might be something bad. I think I'll stay around to find out what it is but please don't wait too long, I might get bored all alone in Grada and I don't want my character to get killed off.

I'll add a new post for my character soon, my mind's just alittle preoccupied at the moment))

((@Mizzou: No comment. But I won't wait too long. Promise. And what will happen, depends on this one character of mine, and the villagers of course (including Miryam)))

Grada, the edge of the Village square

A pair of eyes had been watching the meeting, seeing everything that went on. Interesting. The owner of those eyes was now determined to follow those people, rebels. A shadow disappeared into the forest.