Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mizzou

Would you stay or go?

I've been reading about the orders for mandatory evacuations along the gulf coast for Hurricane Ike and earlier for Hurricane Gustav and it amazes me that people still stay despite the orders. I know part of the problem is that people underestimate the risk or easily forget how bad it can be. And now the people who have stayed in the area are needing to be rescued. So not only are they putting themselves at risk but also the rescuers. I just can't imagine taking the risk to stay even if it doesn't turn out to be that bad.

So my question is what would you do if there were evacuation orders given for some sort of impending diaster?

move to the west.

i don't see how people deal with all the tornadoes, hurricanes and tsunamis elsewhere. the north-west doesnt have those. we have thunder storms, earthquakes in some places, but most pale in comparison to the destructive power of those elsewhere. i would need security that my house wouldn't blow away every hurricane season.

I don't live near the coast myself. But I've been through lots of tornadoes, thunderstorms, floods, and snow/ice storms which can be very destructive and deadly if you're not careful. Even with those I take precautions when necessary.

Anyways, the questions doesn't have to apply just to hurricanes, it can be any type of disaster that has some sort of advanced warning. If you know something is coming, would you stay or not?

Edit: And I don't think moving some where else is going to solve much. It hard to get away from all types of natural disasters

Hurricanes happen in the northwest. Hurricanes will happen on any coastal areas. And to answer your question Mizzou, it depends on the strength of the storm. When I lived in Delaware there was a hurricane that was coming, and I lived closed to the coast. My family and I stayed and we were fine. I don't remember the strength of the storm because I was young. I do remember it broke my swing set and I was upset about that. And now that I live in Texas if Ike had gone a different way, I'm sure my boyfriend and I and his family would have stayed. We have a pretty safe place to stay.

I'd probably move. No point in endangering yourself when you have advance warning.

But, at least you have a warning. Here in earthquake country, you just have to hope the big quake doesn't happen anytime soon.

Just wanted to point out what that says at the very beginning of the article.

Usually, only the remnants of tropical cyclones affect California. No hurricane has ever made landfall in California in recorded history.

I'd leave. I mean, what do you have to lose? It's only a temporary measure and it's to save your life. Why take the risk?

As for moving...move here to southern Ontario :P Hardly anything happens here. The worst we get are big snowstorms but that's usually only 2-3 times a year during the winter months and I've never seen one so severe that it just took out everything, like power or whatever. Basically, if you just drive smart and carefully, wear proper clothing, and maintain a decent furnace, you'll be ok.

We also sometimes get the remnants of hurricanes but it's not all that common and when they arrive here, it's not really any worse than heavy rain or a thunderstorm. I think the only hurricane we've had make actual damage was Hurricane Hazel back in the 50's(?) We sometimes get tornados here, too, but I've never seen one and they're never really bad - maybe severe enough to take off roof shingles but nothing more than that, really.

We had a small tornado in N Calif a few years back that ripped up some trees. But for us the danger is fire. Let me tell you, no house is worth my life. I've seen how fickle fire can be and how swiftly it can travel, I would leave in a heartbeat;)

@Aeternus: As long as you don't mind the smog. I lived in Hamilton for two years. The smog could get really bad there in the summer.

@Mopiece: I can imagine that tropical storms can do a lot of damage. I was just pointing out that the storms hitting California weren't hurricanes.

The worst storm I've been in was about 10 years in northern Minnesota. The winds were around 60 mph with gusts up to 100. It did severe damage to about 600 square miles of forest where I was. That wasn't fun having to get out of afterwards.

Anyways, I have the same opinion about leaving as Oracle. My life is not worth my belongings.

I would definitely go if there was advance warning. Life is so much more precious than possessions that can usually be replaced. I guess it is easy for me to say though as I'm lucky to have lived most of my life in areas where there aren't frequent natural disasters. I was in California during an earthquake once but as KTC said you don't usually get warning of those so leaving isn't an option.

Hamilton is terrible for air quality because of all the steel factories >_> Toronto's also pretty bad during warm, humid days during the summer. But Canadian cities aren't the only ones suffering from smog issues - there's plenty of it south of the border and elsewhere.

I have done both options during hurricanes and it really depends on the stregnth of the storm and where it will hit in relation to where you live. I stayed through a hurricane 4 storm because the storm was not supposed to have as much surge in my area.

Flooding in most areas occurs when the land elevation is less than 10ft above sea level, and buildings that do not meet current wind codes are more likely to be less resistant to damage.

@SilverMist: You'd stay even if there's an evacuation order given?

Part of the problem is that people do stay even if they are told to leave. Then if it does really bad, those same people are calling for help.

I was in social studies friday and the warning for texas said "certain death if not evacuated"

SCARY...

I mean I live in North Carolina so we have a wide range of weather,but of course I'd leave if there was a "certain death" warning.

The officials also thought Hurricane Ike was going to be a lot worse than it was which is why they said "certain death if you stay". It still did a lot of damage though.

@Oracle: Die hards...no pun intended there?

Edit: I'm watching the news about the after effects of the hurricane in Texas and alot of the people who stayed are saying the regret the fact. They also regret not listening to the advice to stock up on supplies. It's easy to forget about that when you are used to everything being convenient.

Mizzou,

Only certain flood zones, the people living in mobile homes, and people with special needs were actually ordered to evacuate.

For the people in Texas, keeping most of the huricane supplies in stock should be common sense during hurricane season, but it is tough to be without power for two weeks. :)

SilverMist wrote:

For the people in Texas, keeping most of the huricane supplies in stock should be common sense during hurricane season

Not to be cynical, but common sense isn't so common.