Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
MidnightPearl

Three the Hard Way

Three the Hard Way (made by iishenron) is an old-school RPG which is possibly the longest storyline-wise in RPG Maker history. TTHW was a pretty big thing back in the day. It features a ridiculous amount of gameplay - 35 to 40 hours to be exact and over 1000 maps!

With plenty of sidequests, hidden treasures, day/night system, mini-games, a well-balanced combat system (so you don't have to spend hours levelling up!! ;)), interesting characters and good writing (not to mention the great sense of humour XD) to boot, TTHW will occupy your interest for much longer than many commercial RPG's.

The plot is very intriguing and add to that the main character Vance who is not quite the usual goody-two-shoes hero and is motivated only by money. But later on he... oops, I think I should just shut up before revealing the whole story and spoiling it for you guys :P

Don't get turned off by the first few hours. By the time the plot gets turned up, you wont be able to stop. And there are dozens and dozens of plot and dialogue branches, so it's got insane replay.

So check out this fun game and see for yourself! ;)

--------------------------------------------------

GENERAL STORYLINE :

Many years ago, a mysterious group of monsters called "Kaibutsu" appeared in Durham Kingdom and ravaged the land. No one was able to resist their power, that is, until a hero named Carolus emerged. He was able to defeat the Kaibutsu leader, who happened to be his sister, and save the nation. After this, the people made him their king. However, 65 years have passed since his victory, and gradually, as he has aged, he has surrendered more of his political power to his vassal dukes, who have very different ideas on how the kingdom should be run.

All of this is trivial background noise for a certain bartender from a backwoods forest town. Vance, the bartender in question, is bored with life, and decides he needs some excitement and some big money. The less actual hard work involved, the better. And nothing will stand in his way ...

SCREENSHOTS :

tthw-screenshot2.png

tthw-screenshot1.png

2pybxbs.jpg

tthw-screenshot4.jpg

DOWNLOAD :

Official site / RMN

DIRECT DOWNLOAD (RTP inclusive)

For those having trouble with the font, try installing this font patch.

FAQs/Walkthroughs :

Weapon & Equipment FAQ - by Cylian

TTHW FAQ (Latest version) - by Velvet Dew

TTHW Walkthrough (WIP)

Enjoy! ^_^

aislingyngaio: Permission gotten from iishenron (the creator) by user 7455.

Hi, I used to enjoy playing this game about a year back until I got stuck in the desert where I was supposed to find a shovel to get rid of a rock blocking the way. Something tells me it's in the red chest that I need a 4 digit combination code to unlock. Could you please give me the number if you remember it because there are like 10,000 possible combinations! :roll: And I keep running out of water looking around. T_T Please help!

Thanks!

I played this game last year so I only have a faint idea. I think there was an oasis somewhere nearby. I too had a lot of trouble finding that combination. If you search it well then you will come across a place where the main character sees a cliff he can climb at and there he finds a chest containing the code.

Yeah, that's right. To be more specific... when you enter the second part of the dessert, go east. You'll come across a brown chest on a cliff that seems unreachable. It contains a piece of paper with the number on it, as Excaliber just mentioned above.

To reach the chest, just go below it and press spacebar/enter to trigger a fun little scene ;)

Just a tip or two- When you reach the pond in the oasis, take as much water as possible till the pond dries up instead of the 7 badins that you get the first time bcoz going back and forth for water will only exhaust your badin reserves. This way you can get upto 70 badins each at both the ponds and the water problem will be taken care of.

You'll come across a guy (the one whom you ask if B&M happened to pass by) from whom you could get 40 badins if you talk to him again. And there's an old man (with a camel) in the dessert who needs help, you can give him the rope that Anderson used to save Vance and receive 55GP and 40 badins of water which is quite a reward since money is so hard to come by in this game.
Hope that helps! :)

Where can I find a cape to attend the ball at the Durham castle?

Edit:
Never mind, I found it. It was in the house next to which a couple of kids are playing. Now off to the royal ball! :D

I think this is a fun RPG. I played it for several hours at a time. It's been some time since I played a game with such a compelling story.

However, I am kinda stuck now. Without spoiling too much of the story, I can say that my current quest is to find a guy called Orrum (who killed North's master). I searched the entire part of the continent where I got the quest but I don't seem to find Orrum nor do I find a way to move to a different part of the continent (blocked to the east and south because of certain events).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hi, I just got north and clifton reunited with the Vance & company and now im trying to find out how to get into Duke Greene's villa. There are 4 blocks that looks like E's on them, but I can't cross the water to get into the villa.:help:

Hi ClowQueen,

You need to visit the pub in Branchville (its open only during the night) and speak to Clifton (the purple-haired guy) to advance the plot.

Once you accept the job to find North, you'll be able to find him in a newly opened house above the inn in Branchville.

And ClowQueen, there's no need to feel bad as this is quite a hard game even in "easy" mode ;)

I am near the end of the game now (I think), searching for some missing votes that seem to be very well hidden :S I've looked everywhere that I could think of - East Hildebrand, West Hildebrand, South Shrine (basically every place that I had acess to), spoke to everyone at these places, even visited the restaurant hoping to get some clues (where Vance ended up getting poisoned evidently by the person who stole the votes >_< ). Ideas, anybody? :(

Spoiler (Highlight to read):

The votes are hidden in the South Shrine itself. If you look closely between the book stands, you'll find an entrance to a cellar. Climb down the rope and you'll find the votes in the water.