Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mizzou

Flu season

Here's an interesting thing I came across online that I thought I would share: Google Flu Trends.

Here's what they say about how it works:

"We've found that certain search terms are good indicators of flu activity. Google Flu Trends uses aggregated Google search data to estimate flu activity in your state up to two weeks faster than traditional flu surveillance systems."

It's still very experiemental but they showed results from past years and it's very close to the influenza surveillance data provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

That is interesting. It seems like flu isn't that much of a problem in the state I live. Hopefully I won't catch this year. I wonder if there are similar maps that show it for Europe or the rest of North America or the rest of the world.

@Argoyle: I looked at some of the CDC data for past years and it seems to be when different strains of the virus are circulating.

@Mopiece: I haven't seen any thing on Google for the rest of the world but there are agencies that do influenza survillance in the rest of the world. In Canada, there's the Public Health Agency and internationally, there's the European Influenza Surveillance Scheme and the World Health Organization (WHO).

The only reason I know this stuff is because infectious diseases is a research area of mine

Hmm, that's odd. Maybe google will put one up later when it gets more information. I guess people could just to those sites you mentioned if they wanted to see how influenza is spreading worldwide.

That stinks. Is your school trying to do anything about? I remember my school had a staph problem. The athletic locker rooms got sprayed down and sanitized.

D: Now, I'm having flu....

Yeah, flu is a big problem in my school, especially for my class ! If one of my friend catch the flu, then the whole class will infected by flu DX...Same happening with chicken pox virus..TT_TT 1/3 of my class got that virus in one week...me too..:(

We had a big flu epidemy last winter... and now in autumn we had a hepatitis epidemy >_< Thanks God I haven't been sick already for a couple of years except for slight cold... But the critical time for flu and cold is yet to come I guess because winter haven't even started.

They mapped out the flu!

I am not sure what is the "status" in my country. But within my university flu has been going around for some time now. It seems to jump from one to another. xD

I still think that is wierd the flu or "influenza" killed so many people back in the day and now it just knocks you on your butt for 3 or so days. Crazy how the human body becomes resistant.

Yeah, but there are stuff people take to reduce the symptoms. And most recently the vaccines. There are antiviral medications, though there effectiveness varies.

Yeah and the hygiene is a lot better these days. I think that's why some of the diseases/viruses/bacteria infection spread so much in the past is because people weren't as clean as we are today.

lol my mom recently had the flu and the funny thing is, she's the one who has had the vaccine in the family; me and my dad are supposed to take boosters, i think, but it was my mom (and only my mom) who got the flu. also, she's the most hygiene-conscious in the family, so i don't know what went wrong.

Vaccines do not offer complete protection against the virus. It's efficacy rate is not that universal. It helps boost the immune system by producing more antibodies against the virus. It also helps lessen the complications the virus may bring. And I believe flu vaccines have to be taken at least once a year because each year the influenza virus changes and different strains may become dominant..