Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Var_Zaratoth

Game Creation Question

Hello everyone. I am a new Knight here! (Paladin mostly) A year before I downloaded RPG Maker XP and I tried to create a game. I did not do anything with the code because I did not understand a thing and I mostly worked through the events section. Although I worked hard for 1-2 weeks I did not make anything special. Yesterday I downloaded the Aveyond trial and I was astonished by the intro and the ingame stuff! How could anyone do such a thing with RPG Maker XP???? I mostly would like to ask (if something like that is possible) if I could somehow take the data of the game for the RPGM-XP program so I could examine the way such a thing could be achieved. I don't ask a certain question because I have a LOT of questions.... Well met again! :D

@var: Aveyond isn't open source so no: you wouldn't be able to open and examine it.

Though even if it was, from experience in working backwards (aka, have the open source game, then figure out the game code): looking at code won't do you any good if you do not have a firm understanding of the program. If you are only grasping what rpgxp can do , I recommend playing around with the functions and scripts some more. Perhaps check out other rpgxp websites with tutorials.

If you have a specific question, I'm sure someone can answer you here.

To tell you the truth, I'm trying to make a game without using any script because I'm not quite the programmer type (although I like to try it). A specific question would be if anyone could explain to me this kind of code, or give me a reference to an explanation... :D

a little late here, but i'll do what i can...

i said the same thing--aveyond is amazing, but i can't script. if i REALLY need a script, i ask someone on here for help with it. (in fact, i'm glad you reminded me that i needed one.)

1-2 weeks isn't really all that long XD i've been working on my game for a few months now, and have the first cutscene and a very small amount of gameplay done. the story, though, is crystal in my mind.

Step 1 of game making: get a story, characters, world...all that good stuff. figure out WHAT you want to do, THEN how to do it.

if it's the intros/cutscenes that you wanted to learn how to do, i do all my cutscenes with events. just play with the event screen for a while--you'll come up with something.

the sprites, if that's something you're intersted in, are mostly custom made. try copying a couple of sprites into paint and seeing what you can do with them. or look on resource sites.

the tilesets are also all custom, as well as a pain in the neck to make. see what you can do with the ones RMXP already has, and look on resource sites for others. mapping is kind of fun, but it does take some practice to make nice maps.

in terms of scripts, www.rmxp.org probably has nice tutorials somewhere. if not, just google "rmxp scripting tutorials". i'm just script-handicapped XD scripts + me = not a great idea.

In the Resources & Offers forum, KTC posted a list of websites with all sorts of helpful stuff. check that out too.

welcome to the forums, and good luck!! post back with any more questions.