Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kinnison

PC Screen Flicker?

Lately my desktop screen has been flickering alot. Like those when you turn on and off the TV but not too much though.

Aside from electric disturbance, what could have caused this anyway? Like which hardware is dying?

No stupid n00b advice and posts here please, I need pure helpful answers. Also no good lucks and "Kinny~!" here.

The most common problem... the cable that connects the monitor to the PC can become loose... check both ends, make sure they are well seated. While not entirely required, you may want to make sure they are screwed into both ends to make sure neither are pulled out again.

I know, it may qualify as a "n00b" advice... but it is the most common :)

The next most common issue the voltage... if the power source is trusted (or at least qualified), it could be the voltage regulator inside the monitor.

So... in short... if it's not a "n00b" issue, it's your monitor ;)

Sometimes, it's the cable that connects the two (typically, this is due to extended flexing) so... since you're going to have to buy one sooner or later... you may want to just go out and get one now... it may save you from buying a new monitor ;)

@Marian:

You know, there are certain LCD monitor that has the "Degauss" function where when you select it, the screen flickers and shake like it turned into liquid. That's what I mean.

@Bryce:

No, I wouldn't call your advice a n00b since you're the expert ;)

The warning is just to prevent other members from posting unnecessary here.

On the cable thing, I think I never touched the cable at all, on top of that it was only used for like a year so I don't think it needs replacement. Or do I have to change one each year? O_o

*checks cable*

They all looks tight to me. If that's not the problem, is it the electricity disturbance after all? Well my house only connected to one power source and my PC is located at the most end of the line.

Ahh... ok... yeah, my screen will do that some times when my cell phone gets close to it. It doesn't even have to be receiving or sending anything- just on. It could be that...

sometimes the cords will shake loose, even if you don't touch it. Unplug all your computer cords, then replug them in again and make sure they are secure. check to see that the cable you're speaking of, isn't crossing another cable and rubbing against it. this can either wear down and fray your cords (check to see if any cords are frayed, or have any wire exposed), or cause some type of interference.

No, a year old cable is practically new. cords (should) last for years.

if its not the cords, i doubt its a hardware issue. its most likely just your monitor. Unless you have a super expensive monitor, you can get a new one for pretty cheap, a lot less than a whole new computer. If you want to check to see if its just you monitor acting up, you can ask a friend or neighbor if you can hook up their's and see if its doing the same thing. if its not acting the same, then problem solved you need a new monitor. a new one will probably cost you less than trying to get you old one repaired.

Don't forget to recycle old computer stuff. some type of monitors contain harmful and poisonous (to humans/animals/earth) chemicals when broken.

if its not your monitor, i have no idea what it could be. you may want to check your graphics card. you can see what make and model it is, then try and troubleshoot it online.

Hmm, it flicker again. Right on the time where my sis turns on the DVD in the living room, I wondered if any other appliances in the house that use alot of electricity caused interference? (Not to mention, the washing machine too is operating atm)

Well, I got my graphic card replace on March this year and the cable at the back of the PC is all organized, just that it wasn't touched for a long time. The only thing that's old is the motherboard.

@Marian:

I see, well I did place my cell phone right on the desktop table too but recently it has been turned off and not used for quite a time.