Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ruffi

A guardian is never guarded

@sana90 & brokenmind: Thanks for the comments, here's ch 6 TT_TT Late, I know.

IMPORTANT NOTE! The dialogues written with italics are what only Marine can hear, meaning a dog or any other canine.

Happy reading~

Chapter 6

Well, my bad feeling had its role back then. Ignoring the fact that I got scolded by the Oracle (oh, yeah, that's the old lady's name), who said I made everyone leave the Shrine, we were given these weird powers “that would help us guard our druids”.

Of course, there were lots of “Ha! I got a better power than you” or “Yay, I can burn things, even your head!” or “Eek, I grew a flower on my nose” or “Hey, look, I don't need a glass to drink water” and other stuff that's perfectly normal for kids our age. That was when we all discovered that everyone had an elemental power. Well, except for me, who had telekinesis.

When we discovered that each of us can turn into an animal too, conflicts started to appear because of foolish things like “Hey, he's bigger than me” or “Hey, why does SHE get to be that?”. Of course, everyone dropped the argue as fast as they came up with it as soon as they noticed that they all had something great. Why did we get to turn into animals too? Well, maybe because it's more convenient being able to have two forms for both us and the druids. However, if we lost the lockets the Oracle gave to us, we were ordinary, useless humans. And that's how I found myself an excuse for not being human.

I sighed bored as I sat on the cold ice. It was the middle of January and I just turned twelve a couple of days ago. I couldn't believe that we were all so overjoyed the day when we got these powers and this burden to carry on our shoulders. All I have been doing for the past six years was stay in that ice cave, occasionally giving Daena a visit. Okay, maybe this wasn't all I did. I traveled around the world, in every city I could reach. But as I was used to traveling, when I came back and did nothing but stay and stare at the opposite wall, I felt like I was going insane.

Was it okay for me to leave Daena's shrine so often, you ask? Of course it wasn't, evil could always make its way there if I was missing. But I was too damn bored to listen to my self-consciousness as I was leaving very shortly after I arrived. A week after or so. And so my druid was left unguarded most of the time. The other guardians were leaving their druids as well, but for a short time, only to go and get some food, nothing more. But I couldn't understand how were they standing the boredom.

I stood up before my eyes could fall into my mouth from the boredom and I walked over to the dead end wall of the cave. I touched it with my left hand. It took a few seconds before the door was revealed. I just entered the shrine and looked around. As usual, Daena wasn't in the main room. I just passed through the, large, ice room and entered another. It was just as always, the room full of bookshelves, Daena reading at a desk. I think she felt my presence as she turned around, took off her glasses and placed them on the desk, above the book and stood up.

“Something wrong?” She asked in her usual motherly tone.

“No” I said, shaking my head. “I just wanted to check on you” Daena frowned.

“No you didn't, you were bored.” She said, taking her seat again. “You know, Marine, you need to...”

“To learn to be patient, yeah, yeah, I know.” I said, rolling my eyes “But be patient about what? It's not like we have a time limit. We don't even know for how long we'll be in this state. Be patient and wait for what? For the evil to come and realize we weren't of any help actually because they are countless and they would defeat us anyway?” Daena frowned again.

“I'm glad to see you are taking my advices and you learned how to think positive.” She said, turning her back to me, putting on her glasses and continuing reading. I sighed and left the shrine. After sealing the entrance to the shrine, I just turned on my heel and started towards the exit of the cave. There were lots of weird creatures around there, but I learned that they were harmless if they got used to you.

As soon as I reached the exit of the cave, I let out a groan, noticing that there was storming outside. Like the Northern Isle hadn't got enough snow already. I just turned in the other form and started running towards the east of the Northern Empire. Fortunately, God blessed me with the ability of running up to 60 kilometers per night. Yep, you guessed, I was the largest canine in the pack, the wolf.

I noticed I already reached the cave that was a pass to the land where the Sun Shrine was. But I had to stop abruptly in order not to bump in a certain huge feline. The white and black striped big cat looked at me from above with its golden eyes. I stayed there in utter shock, looking at the animal.

“Sparky? What the hell are you doing here?” The feline I just named Sparky was actually Samuel, the lightning guardian who had the power to turn into a white Siberian tiger. The reason I called him that was that he had an unusual speed in everything he was doing and because, like I said, he had control over the lightning. He just groaned at the nickname he hated so much and passed me, running away into the forest. Hmm, maybe he was going to Thornkeep to get some food. I just entered the pass and after a couple of minutes I found myself in this wonderful place where the Sun Shrine was. The place that was called Aveyond.

I always knew that here were lots of bees. But they seemed that they were multiplying every time I visited Aveyond. I thought of visiting the Sun Shrine when something fluffy rubbed its back against my front leg. I looked down to see a small white cat, meowing up at me some things like “You came to play with us?”. These small binis were the habitants of the Teacup Town, a little town that found its place in Aveyond. I just kicked the small ball of fur slightly, mumbling before turning back in my human form.

“Ah, Marina, just in time” The Oracle said as soon as I entered the Sun Shrine. The fact she was constantly calling me Marina instead of Marine was interesting as everybody else called me Marine. “We needed someone to go to the Western Empire and deliver Lillian this envelope.” The Oracle continued as the younger redhead came out of one of the rooms with a bag in her arms. That day I also found out that her name was Talia.

“And read these if you please” She said in her usual shy but also parental tone, handing me the bag. She was surely talking about some books.

“Whoa, whoa! Wait a minute!” I said in amazement. “You are telling me to leave my druid?” I asked the Oracle.

“It's for a short time only.” She said as she handed me the envelope. “Be sure to come back quickly.” She said as I turned around to leave, dumbstruck. This was the second time she knew I was going to come! And this was getting weirder. I just shook the thought off as I turned in my animal form back with a poof and I started running. By the time I was passing....trough the pass, I saw Samuel coming back from wherever he went. I heard him mumbling something about Vata scolding him because of me. I had no idea what was he talking about but I just ignored him and continued my way to the Western Empire.

As I debarked on the Sedonian shore I hated so much, I started looking around, for changes. Unfortunately there were none. I just started walking ahead along the streets, with the intent of heading towards the Highlands.

Surprisingly enough, although I hated this city, I visited it quite a lot. And I must admit it, here are the best products in the whole Western Empire. However, by coming here I took my risk of being seen by all the ex-colleagues at the Gentle Children's school. Including the blond-haired pink princess.

Fortunately, this time I didn't get to spend too much time there as I was just passing through. To give Lillian an envelope. I frowned when I repeated that name in my head. I was right the first time we met. Naturally, we were repelling each other like similar poles of a magnet, as Lillian happened to be the smallest feline in the group. I thought that the animal she turned in was the reason of our frequent fights as she was a lynx. But every time I thought about her I just ended up repeating to myself that “She is not worse than Castelle, she is not worse than Castelle” And I would just remembered how many times Castelle pissed me off. “She is DEFINITELY not worse than Castelle”

As I was walking along the streets, thinking deeply, I felt someone bump into me before both me and the person were thrown on the ground because of the opposite directions we were walking in. I groaned frustrated before both of us talked at the same time.

“Watch where you're going, you moron!”

“God gave you eyes, you idiot! Use them!” I screamed, simultaneously with the other person as we both looked up. And there she was, Miss annoyingly-green, standing in front of me.

“YOU!” We both said in unison.

“What are you doing here?” She asked

“I could ask you the same thing”

“I asked first”

“How old are you? Five?” I asked her, annoyed before she sighed and decided to drop it.

“I'm here because I just went for a walk....which ended getting a little long. Your turn” She said, crossing her arms.

“I'm here to give you this” I said, handing her the envelope. While she was reading it, a dog got my attention. It approached me and started barking furiously.

”Hey! You ugly newcomers! Off my territory before I tear your skin off!” the dog barked to me. City dogs. A little smarter than the werewolves in the Wild Woods, but still categorized as “less intellectual”. However, people were starting to stare at the barking dog and he started annoying me.

“Shut up” I simply said, making the dog silence for a while “Now listen up, you flea bag, if you let out one more sound, I can make you go trough the worst pain with only one snap of my fingers!” I threatened the dog.

”Stupid humans!” the dog growled, still not leaving.

“Scram!” I said before the dog turned around defeated, leaving quietly. Yeah, so I fought with a stupid city dog. So what? It made me fell better. Fortunately, Lillian either didn't hear, either didn't WANT to hear that I was fighting with a dog, or else, lots of ironic allusions would be charged at me until now.

“May I have your attention please?” A familiar voice was heard from somewhere near the town fountain. Everyone that was passing by stopped and turned their attention to the person that happened to be on the edge of the fountain. I think Lillian asked me something but I didn't hear. I just started making my way to the fountain. Once I reached the front, I felt like going insane. Were all the people that I hated gathering here, in Sedona in order to piss me off? Yep, you guessed, there was Castelle on the edge of the fountain, babbling about what a great person she is.

“Like normal people care about your stupid talking” Before I realized I said my last thought out loud, everyone had their eyes on me. Especially Castelle who was glaring, and Lillian, who managed somehow to follow me through the crowd and was now looking at me with a “Ha! Now you're in trouble”smirk on her face. But as the people were watching I realized this was a perfect chance for me.

“Watch out, behind you!” I said, pointing at Castelle. She was about to turn around when I screamed “DON'T MOVE!” People started saying that they don't see anything. “Oh, my god! It's hideous!” I continued as Castelle's face transformed into a freaked out one. She suddenly turned around and as I saw her back, I easily pushed her by slightly rising my hand towards her.

“It's gone now” I said, trying to sound relieved. The people weren't caring much about what I said as they were occupied to laugh at Castelle who was now, soaking wet, in the middle of the fountain.

“Whatever it was, it seems it left” a man said, between laughs, as everyone, surely noticed that Castelle wasn't pushed by anyone. The man suddenly looked at me “But what was that?”

“A magical creature.” I said simply.

“But how come you could see it?” The man asked again.

“Umm, my dad was a wizard. I have to go now, bye” I said, leaving to avoid any other questions. I grabbed Lillian by her arm and leaded her out of the crowd. She was still laughing at what happened with Castelle. “What did you say back there?” I asked her, remembering that she asked me something.

“What? Oh, I asked you what are you gonna do now”

“I'm not really sure”

“Who was that girl”

“A spoiled brat. I can't start telling you all about her”

“Why not?”

“Because the list of her defects is endless and I'll be probably spending only a few hours here” I said, making a pause. “What are you gonna do now?” I asked Lillian.

“Going back to the shrine” She said simply as I smirked.

“Do you have any food there?”

….................................................................

I can't keep promises, I know. It's late as usual, but last night, my computer wouldn't work. Sorry for the waiting, but here's chapter #6

I wanna say "thank you" to everyone that has been commenting on my story. You're all great~ :awww:

Chapter 7

This was bad. This was extremely bad. I was lost in a place I didn't even know how I ended up into. Or I don't want to admit that I ended up in this place intentionally. However, I knew that what I was doing was wrong, but I had no way out of it.

The architectures of the place were almost diabolical. Everything that surrounded me was letting out a negative aura that kept me nervous. I felt that something bad will happen. It was a feeling that couldn't be described in words. Like hunger, thirst, pain and discomfort all combined. The plain floor was evil itself. The weird stone statues had their eyes made so they looked like they were staring daggers. And the feeling that I was watched followed me. I was terrified, desperate to get out of this cursed place.

My heart stopped in my throat as I noticed a foul smell coming from somewhere near. I tensed up even more when I hard claws scratching the hard stone floor. My instinct acted before I could think and I found myself hiding behind a statue. After a more detailed examination of the sounds, I also heard footsteps. Not being able to hold back my curiosity, I threw a peek with one eye from behind the statue. There were indeed two creatures. One of them was definitely a gryphon. But not like the golden, friendly ones you'll meet in Aveyond. It had huge vulture wings and its feathers and fur were coal black. The dirty green eyes were penetrating and determined, but not less evil than the rest of the place. The other creature had the body of an usual female character's, ignoring the large, black wings that grew from somewhere on its back. The second creature wore a black mask over its eyes and a chain in its right hand was tied to a metal collar around the black gryphon's bird neck. It seemed like the second creature was blind, and was using the gryphon's ability to see.

As desperate as I was, I thought that the two creatures will lead me to an exit. Unfortunately, the feat took my ability to think properly in pressure situations. And as naive as an ordinary twelve years old would be, I silently followed the creatures, in hope I will get back to my shrine and never talk about this again.

The creatures stopped in front of four meter massive ebony door. The winged female character pushed the door in a way that made me think the door was extremely heavy. The door slowly slid open with a creaky sound that sent shivers down my spine. The door was opened, the room was revealed and the creatures were inside. I was watching from behind the door and I almost let out a scream of despair and fear. My telekinesis powers were almost dead as my numb brain couldn't concentrate anymore. Instead of doing something that I could regret my whole life, I just turned in my wolf form, letting out a loud, distracting poof, as usual, and I decided to run away. But, before, I just took one long look.

“What's with that animal in here?”

“Maybe it got lost, sire”

“Do you think I'm stupid, demon? Animals like this don't exist here.”

“Don't just stand there with your arms crossed, looking stupid, you worthless creatures! Can't you see the creature bothers the master? Kill it! ” After I heard my signal of retreating, I turned my back to the room and started hopping on the foul smelling hallways, just to get myself out.

I saw the forbidden

For some strange reason, my mind kept telling me that I done something wrong. Something very bad, something unforgivable. Something for which I should be harshly punished, only because I saw it. I was expecting misunderstandings, scoldings, punishments and other things that could cause me pain, mentally and physically.

I saw the forbidden

“Aren't you a bit quiet?” Rajah asked me suddenly, turning his gaze from the sea to me. “Too quiet for your own good?” He continued as I still didn't respond. I heard him perfectly, but I wasn't going to talk about this as long as I knew the Oracle will find out. She would find out anyway, but I always preferred the “later” option.

“Something's wrong” Raj declared, glaring at me. The ship we were on shook violently under a wave, making a few barrels roll to the other side. “What did you do this time?” He asked, finally receiving a stare from me.

”I saw the forbidden”

“Something bad” I said, looking away and hugging my knees harder. Raj decided to drop it as it was clearly I didn't felt like talking about it.

I saw the forbidden...again

The Oracle sighed and Talia gently placed a hand on her forehead. I knew I did something wrong. And I was going to be punished.

“And what did you see there?” The Oracle asked, looking me in the eye.

“I saw....evil” I said, flashbacking to the large, dark room. The Oracle sighed again.

“Marine, you know that what you did is bad. This is already the second time you break the rules of the guardians. I'm not going to let you do it the third time” I looked down, more obedient than I've ever been in my entire life.

“Wait, Oracle, it was a mistake, she didn't mean it” Raj bursted into the discussion. I mentally sighed. Good old Raj, always being my best friend, by my side and taking my part.

“Raj -...”I started

“Be reasonable, Oracle” Kia started. “She's still the youngest guardian” This made me widen my eyes.

“Yeah, it's only human to make mistakes” David continued, as well “Listen to this word: Mis-Takes. This means it was a take that was missed. These things happen a lot”

“And we don't have to be harsh about them” Samuel said in his usual, low voice, that this time caught a bit of a higher note. “After all, they're just mistakes

“Please, Oracle” Lillian said “You mustn't punish Marine” I just stayed there, watching as they were all trying to escape me from the punishment. They were actually talking my part. Even if I had lots of fights with four of them, and they were all so determined about it.

“Guys, what are you-..” I asked, confused.

“Let's take things this way:” Raj started again. “Marine did what she did by mistake. If we would have been with her, we would have probably said 'Hey look! Let's go there, Marine'” Raj said.

“And after all, it's not like she saw the forbidden” Lillian said, looking at me.

–..................................................--

WAAAH! Yaay! Sorry for the late update, TT_TT. Busy, don't ask. Please comment~ ^__^

hi there.. your ttle caught my attention and i read your story from the start..

its really really awesome.. i just loved it hope to see more of it.. and soon please please

Chapter 8

Being a guardian isn't fun at all. It's an ugly, lonely job. I never seemed to be the type that needs much attention as I've always been mean, aggressive and impulsive with people that were trying to come near me. But as it's said, you never realize how much you need a thing until you loose it. That's what happened with me. I was used to people being all around me, and now, that they were gone, I felt lonely and depressed. I was tired of this cave. Another three years passed since when I ”saw the forbidden” with me being now fifteen, and still in this cave. Always the same, always frozen, always cold.

Talia gave me some books. I was excited at first, but they turned out to be about Aveyond's history. The first time I read them, they were pretty interesting. But after the fifth time, they turned out to be unimaginably boring. A weird, acute sound caught my attention. I looked from where it came to discover the creature that made it.

A clumsy, fat creature made its way inside my guarding area, passing the small bridge that delimited my personal space from the rest of the cave. The creature's head was just an extension of the body, round and big. It was walking on the two back feet, who were almost too short to be moved. A series of fish-like flippers surrounded the inexistent neck, creating something that looked like a neckband. Two round, blue eyes were on the side of the ball-shaped head and a round, opened mouth revealed four sharp fangs. Two hands were hanging clumsily around the body, as well as the thick tail. The skin was leathery and yellow, the only portion that was light yellow being the belly area. This was a silven. A dumb, idiotic creature that resides in these ice caves.

I sighed annoyed and stood up, walking towards the silven, chasing him away and “shoo”ing him off my territory. The dumb creature crossed the bridge and remained there, letting out his specific sounds. His cry-like sounds were annoying so I decided to go it the Temple so I can't hear him anymore.

“Hey, Daena, I'll be staying here for a while. There's a stupid silven outside that doesn't leave me alo-...” I said, but stopped, noticing no one was in the room. “Daena?” I asked as I passed to the next room. The shelves were there, as I last remembered them, but my druid wasn't. “Uh-oh...” This wasn't good. Not good at all. I rushed out of the Temple, sealing it and headed towards the Sun Shrine in Aveyond.

It took me like one hour to get there by foot. And when I arrived, to my surprise, there were all of the druids, including Daena. Raj, Lillian, Kia and Sam were also there, but David was missing. Weird enough because Vohu Manah was there.

“Look, Daena, Marine is here at last” Eithera exclaimed when she saw me. I don't know why, but everytime we and our druids were gathered, I had the feeling that the druids were acting like some exigent and vigilant parents.

“What took you so long?” Daena asked, standing up from a chair. I rolled my eyes as I was about to start asking lots of questions. I let the druids be and walked over to the other guardians.

“What did you just say, shorty?” Samuel's voice growled.

“I said what you heard. What, the sound doesn't reach over up there?” Raj's voice growled back.

“Drop it, Samuel, you know it's useless to fight with Rajah.” Kia started on a calm tone. “He's like a small burning match between barrels of water, but he's just not seeing it because he's so damn stubborn and impulsive.” Kia growled looking at Rajah.

“And that was said by miss “Let's just be patient and let the world save itself from evil”.” Raj replied bitterly.

“Will you all shut up? I'm getting a headache.” Lillian yelled.

“DON'T INTERFERE!” All three yelled in unison.

They were obviously too busy fighting to notice me. You'll probably say that we don't seem a team at all. You're right, we don't seem like it. We may have little argues over various subjects. Maybe “little” isn't the right word. I should call these “brotherly fights” because that's what they are. Yeah, that's it, we're exactly like brothers. Always there to help eachother, always a team. Of course, me and Raj were best of bestest friends, but in this situation, we were all a team.

“...and if Marine was here, she probably would say that you're fighting over stupid things again.” Lillian said silencing everyone up.

“Not really” I said, making myself noticed for the first time.

“Finally!” Samuel said, rolling his eyes.

“The Oracle is waiting for you” Kia said, pointing towards the door that led to a huge hallway. Making a confused face, I entered the long hallway and made my way trough it. I picked randomly one of the rooms and entered it. I had the luck to guess right. The Oracle was in there and smiled at me as I arrived.

“Perfect, Marina, you're here at last” The Oracle said, approaching me. “I have an important task for you to complete.” A task? I felt kinda happy for this; it meant I won't be staying in that cave for another two long weeks.

“What task?” I asked, excitedly as the Oracle smiled again.

“The Chosen One has been located a few weeks ago” The Oracle started. I widened my eyes and my mouth in a large smile. This meant we, the guardians, would get help and that our task was close to its finale. “We do not know where she is now, but we'll soon get this information, too. Your task is to go wherever the Chosen One is and bring her here, to the Sun Shrine” So the Chosen One was a girl. “But..!” The Oracle started. I didn't like the sounds of this. A sentence started with “but!” meant that I was forbidden from doing something.

“”But.”..?” I asked

“But you should absolutely not tell her you are a guardian, in instance, you mustn't dress like one. You shouldn't lie about anything else, though.” The Oracle said. This didn't seem to hard so I nodded in approval.

“I have one question, though.” I said, all of a sudden “Where do you find out from where is she?” In the fraction of second when I finished asking my question, David rushed trough the door, and stopped, breathing heavily. He gave a paper to the Oracle while catching up his breath. “Oh..” I said. The Oracle read the paper and gave me the exact information about her current location.

“Her current location is in a eastern city called Ghalarah, getting ready to leave for another eastern town. Veldarah. You should arrive there at the same time with her” The Oracle said as I turned to leave . “Oh and you should take someone with you.” I looked at David and he looked at me. We both turned our sights away.

“No way” We said in unison as I left the room. I re-entered the lobby and found that the other druids and guardians were still there. I grinned and walked up to the guardians.

“Come on, Raj” I said, dragging Rajah by his arm after me “We're going in a mission” I said, grinning.

“What?” He asked confused as we both left the Shrine.

“We have a long way to the Eastern Empire” I said, excited.

- …..................................................................-

Done! Please comment~ ^__^

Chapter 9

“I look awful!” I exclaimed, looking myself into a mirror. We already arrived in Veldarah, and we had the luck to be here before that girl did. The Oracle said 'not to dress like a guardian' so I had to give up on my usual costume. Instead, I got some clothes from a sedonian trader I stumbled over while getting here. The clothes were lacey and elegant-like, even though the skirt was just above my knees. That was exactly the type of clothing I hated.

Raj didn't have to complain. Just wrap a cloth around his head and around him and he looked clearly like a southerner. I shot him a glare and took one more look at my hometown styled clothes.

“You look...nice” Raj said, not really paying attention at me as he was reading something. “And why would you care, anyway?”

“I care because I hate this clothes” I groaned. “The Oracle said we'll know when we'll meet the Chosen One but what am I going to say to that girl?” I asked myself out loud. “I must find something plausible...” I said, sitting on the cushion, opposite the armchair was sitting on. Raj rolled his eyes.

“Just tell her to go there. You'll figure something out” He said, yawning as I frowned.

“Yeah, I'll just go there and tell her : Hey, hello there. You're the chosen one and you must save the world from a demon. I'm Marine, by the way. Would you like to come with me to a place up there in the mountains so an old, weird woman can give you more details on your quest?” Raj sighed and stood up. “Did you find something interesting in this town?” I asked him.

“Oh, yeah, there's this academy for the gifted or something. Sha-Shadwood. Yeah, that's what's it called” Raj said, thinking. “You know, you should announce your arrival.” I looked at him puzzled.

“Huh? Announce what?”

“I don't know, send me as a messenger to tell them that a 'noble young lady from Sedona' will be visiting their school to observe or something like that.” I smirked at Raj's idea. It was the best idea he ever had.

“Yeah, and she will surely find out about the academy. And if this doesn't happen, you can always go and tell them that something happened and I can't be there anymore. Raj, you're a genius!” I said, smirking and leaving to the other room.

I looked at the clock and started wandering nervously around the room. Raj would have been back by now. He said he would go to 'announce my arrival' and get some food. But he was gone for more than two hours. What could be keeping him so much?

The door slammed open as Raj entered through it, closing it with his foot. I rushed to help him with the packages he was holding, taking them from him and placing them on a table. I turned around to see he was breathing heavily, meaning he ran all the way here. I was about to ask the expected “Where have you been” but I didn't get the chance to do it.

“Before you say anything like 'where the hell have you been?', I must tell you something which you'll probably won't believe.” He said, not letting me react

“You met her?!” I yelled almost jumping off the cushion as Raj was sitting on the armchair.

“I told you already, I accidentally bumped into her” Raj said, smiling sheepishly and rubbing the back of his head.

“But you met her!!” I exclaimed excitedly.

“Yeah, she seems pretty nice and friendly” Raj said, somehow relieved.

“And you met her!!” I repeated for the third time.

“And told her to go to Shadwood academy”

“That means...” I said, waiting for him to continue. Raj smiled at me and nodded. “This is working faster that I expected.” I said as Raj chuckled.

“Samuel would die hearing you say this” He said, laughing as I soon joined him.

Outside was getting darker, making it harder for me to find the way to the academy. But, happily, the sun didn't set completely as I got there. The front garden was pretty and all, like an institution garden, but more oriental than I was used to. I made my way through the palm trees and stopped in front of the big door, knocking. There was no response from the other side.

“Hello, anyone there?” I asked, knocking again, annoyed that I was still waiting. I remembered myself dozens of times that I had to act as smug as I could. The snobby attitude I always hated had to be the way I should act for a while.

”Coming!” I heard a female voice on the other side of the door and running footsteps. A woman which was dressed like a maid opened the door. “Oh God! Miss Wolfgang! You're already here! I thought you will come tomorrow morning because it was too late!” The maid said, covering her mouth.

I was about to tell her it was okay, but I just remembered what I've been telling myself to do and I decided not to screw up from the beginning. I frowned and threw a death glare at the maid.

“I am still waiting... You are blocking my way....” I said smugly as the maid moved out of the way immediately shooting me with apologies. I sighed irritated. “Well, I guess that's how you commoners live... So I don't blame you” I said, entering the building.

“Would you like me to take your bag, miss Wolfgang?” The maid asked shakily.

“No, thank you. My bag is MY bag and I've already been trough a lot of experiences” I said, continuing my way down the hallway. I couldn't say I didn't like the looks of the academy. It was really pretty, but if I had to be critic, then so be it.

I finally came across a room to the left and entered it, noticing a blonde man inside. He immediately turned at me and seemed to be as surprised as the maid when he saw me.

“Miss Wolfgang. You arrived! Your messenger told us you will be here, but he didn't make himself clear enough when saying when you will arrive.” The man said, approaching me. “I am master Harald. I welcome you to our academy”He said, making a pause. He then started searching his pockets. “Here is the key too your room. We tried to give you the best one. And if you rush a bit you'll catch the teachers before they leave” He said, handing me a shiny hey.

“Alright” I said, intentionally not thanking and leaving the room. This will take some time....

-.......................................................................-

I'm fast today~ ^__^ comment~

And yet, another chapter duo~ enjoy ^_^

Again, I made people wait ages while the chapter was done a looooong time ago. I am either very lazy either I forgot about it... Hmm, I'll go with the first option for not updating.

Sorry, readers (TT_TT) I'm writing the 11th one as fast as I can, until then, Happy reading~

Chapter 10

I opened a door to a large room to reveal lots of teachers debating ordinary school problems. Two of them were weirder dressed than the others. Weirder seemed, of course, to me, as I wasn't used with these type of clothes. The room we were all in turned out to be large and full of bookshelves, like the room of a library. However, I was the rich spoiled brat that came to observe the academy and no one was paying attention to me. I cleared my throat as loud as I could to make them pay attention.

“Miss Wolfgang!” Two of them exclaimed while the others remained mouth-wide. Man, how I hated being dressed so pompous.

“We are sorry, we were deep into a discussion.” A long haired blonde woman said.

“Yes...I can see that” I said, crossing my arms. “Anyway, I'm here to say that from tomorrow on, I'll be observing how the studies in this school go.” I added, grinning somehow evilly.

“Oh, and don't forget I'm a pure Sedonian, so I'd like to be treated like one.” I said, turning around and leaving the room.

”What a spoiled brat! Who does she think she is?” I heard coming from the other side of the room as soon as I closed the door. And that's the way I made myself more enemies than I needed. Now I just had to wait for 'The Chosen One' to come and find a way to lure her to the Sun Shrine.

I walked along the hallways, amazed at how empty they were. I was thinking that if it's such a large institution like this, it would have lots of students. And the hallways being empty at only 8 o' clock pm was just weird. A large institution like this just had to be full of pointless rules. The emptiness of the hallways was kind of creepy accompanied by my heels hitting the solid floors followed by the echo created. However, after a few minutes of wandering along those empty hallways, I suddenly heard another set of footsteps coming from the opposite direction I was walking towards, yet for us to meet in a common spot.

The male student that approached me shot me a smug grin. His grass-green hair with his matching eyes jumped out at me and made me forget what weird hair and eye colors the other guardians had. Annoyed ah how he acted without me doing anything to him, I just turned my sight away from him only to receive a bitter remark.

“What do we have here? A newbie, it seems” He said as I stopped walking, eying him as he stopped as well, the distance between us not being more than two meters. I decided not to respond but just hold my anger back and watch him smugly. “I don't think you know the rules around here. This way is leading to the students' dormitories. The stables for the horses are outside this building” He said, chuckling.

“You better hurry then, I heard Lightning, the white one, kept you an empty space next to him...” I said passing him without showing any emotion. I can swear he was boiling by the aggressive thoughts he had in his mind. However, the insults were rolling around in his head aimlessly, making his thinking fuzzy and hard to decipher. 'You know who you're taking to? I'm Lars Tenobor, and...' I was finally able to decipher. The events took place faster than I first thought, in a matter of seconds. By his reactions, he was clearly coming from a rich family. But so was I, so I simply turned my back at him and continued my way.

“You know who you're talking to?...” He started exactly as I predicted.

“Yes, I know, you're Lars Tenobor. So what?” I said, not exactly thinking why I should say that. Seeing how his face expression was changing, I was hurriedly searching for a plausible excuse for knowing his appellative.

“How do you know my name?” He asked with indignation as I turned around to face him and show the most bored face I could.

“Are you serious? I mean, you're like very hated by the teachers. The most hated, if not more because of your attitude. They were all talking about you.” I said, hoping that it was true. I saw him frowning somehow convinced and groan annoyed, before turning his back to me and continuing his was to wherever he was going. I just shook my head no to myself, thinking how fast I was making 'friends' in this academy. My mission was getting thougher and thougher and the only thing I could hope of was finding 'the chosen one' faster.

I compared the number on the key with the number on the door in front of me. Seeing that they were matching, I slid the key in the hole and turned it around, opening the door. With awe, I entered the large room. It was larger than I thought it would be. Incredibly shocking, but larger than any dormitory I've been in in Sedona. Closing the door shut behind me and locking it, I just threw the heavy bag on the ground before I sat on the bed. Looking around and realizing I didn't actually have something to do, I just changed myself from the horrible Sedonian clothes and to the light, white night dress. Putting the candle out, I found my place into the bed, trying to go to sleep.

But a bounce made me pop up. Looking towards the window, I saw a human shadow blocking a part of the light to enter the room. Not exactly knowing what was going to happen, I remained silent and didn't move for quite some several seconds, until another bounce in the window made me flinch as the window opened. The figure climbed up and entered trough the window, stopping immediately at my scream.

“Stay right there, I have telekinetic powers and I'm not afraid to use them!” I said, rising my hands toward the person.

“It's me, Raj, you creep!” The figure said. Realizing that he wasn't lying and that it really was Raj, I decided not to stop here.

“I don't believe you. What's my favorite color?”

“You don't have one, you consider having a favorite color is for painters” Raj said, annoyed.

“Someone who would pretend that he's Raj would say that” I said as Raj groaned. “Light up the candle on the table” I ordered as Raj lifted up his his fist and released his fingers in a sudden move as the candle on the table caught on fire. I looked at him suspiciously as he was still wearing those southern rags. He took them off for me to match his face with the Raj I remembered.

“Someone who would pretend that he's Raj would find a way to disguise himself and light a candle with a simple move” I said, holding back a laugh.

“Marine!” He said, annoyed as I started laughing.

“What are you doing here?” I asked suddenly, getting serious.

“Well, the innkeeper kicked me out of the inn” he said as I gave him a questioning face. “We ran out of money” he said, sitting on a armchair in the room. I sighed, disappointed, knowing that this would eventually happen. I was a rich, spoiled kid without any money. This was going great. “Anyway, where do I sleep?”

“The area under the bed is all yours” I said, letting myself fall on the bed before I told Raj to put out the candle. Without the candle to light the room, I heard Raj struggling to find a position on the sofa in the room. The sofa was indeed soft, but had that sofa-thing that is annoying when you try to sleep on it. So Raj eventually ended sleeping on the ground with only one blanket under him.

”Miss Wolfgang” a female voice chanted trough the door as I groaned, not moving an inch or having any intent of replying. I knew it was already morning, but I didn't feel like waking up completely just yet. I soon heard Raj sit up from the ground and ruffle the blanket.

“Please tell me that the door is locked” He said agitated as my eyes popped open.

“It's not” I responded agitated as well as Raj groaned.

“I said 'please'” He said before kicking the blanket under my bed.

”Miss Wolfgang!” the voice said again, agitated .”Are you alright, Miss Wolfgang?” I told Raj to get under the bed before the door handle started moving. I made sure Raj was already under the bed before the door opened and as the maid from the last night showed up in the room, I threw her a death glare. “Miss-...”

“Did I say 'come in'?” I asked bitterly. The maid started stammering before shooting me with apologies and arguments for entering my private area without my permission. I heard chuckles from under my bed. For some strange reason, Raj was laughing under his breath. It was probably the way I was acting that made him laugh.

The maid told me the schedule for today, also giving me two papers with the sorcerers' and sword singers' schedules, gave me indications for where rooms are located and told me where I can find teachers if I need them. She then left the room as fast as she could and closed the door behind her. Raj bursted into laughter before I heard a bounce coming from where he was. He obviously hit his head in the bed while laughing. I rolled my eyes and tried to find out what was so funny while he came out from under the bed and threw himself on it, still laughing.

“What's so funny?” I said on a serious tone as he stopped laughing gradually.

“I knew you are smug and a brat, but never knew it was possible being more smug and a bigger brat than you currently are. “ He said with a grin. I ignored his insult, rolling my eyes while I walked to the closet and told him not to get any ideas. I changed myself as fast as I could and left the closet, heading for the door.

“Whatever you do, do not leave this room.” I said, receiving a 'fine' from Rajah, who was reaching for the bags that I didn't open yet.

“And don't even think of making a mess here” I said as he turned to me with a glare. “I mean it!” I said, crossing my arms and opening the door before closing it and locking it.

I knew the door was made of wood and that Raj could easily burn it down, but I also knew that he was aware that if he makes me problems, he will have problems with me. With that being said, I descended the stairs and went to Shadwood's yard only to receive weird looks from every student that I passed by.

With disgust, I spotted the so-called Lars Tenobor, the brat from yesterday. He was talking with a girl and they were obviously not in such a good relationship judging by the way they were insulting eachother. I wanted to let them be, but something at the girl caught my attention. She had a weird aura around her that made me feel odd. Looking in her eyes, I could see something undecipherable, but I knew without doubt that she was 'the chosen one'. And that brat was insulting her. I may have got her in a worse mood after she finished her fight with Lars. That was the moment when I had to act in order for thing to go on smoothly.

“Whatever. I'm just glad we haven't got the same gift” Lars said smugly.

“Yeah, I would have kicked your ass. And I think I'm gonna do that after I graduate” The girl said, grinning triumphantly. I simply smiled at her reply and decided to get involved into the discussion before Lars could strike again.

“What's wrong, Tenobor? Messing around with newbies again?” I said, stopping next to him and grinning at him. While he was ready to say something, I took a better look at the girl. She was about the same age as Raj, she had long wreathed blue-ish lilac hair and purple eyes. I read in her mind that she was examining my clothing and attitude, associating me with what ladies used to be back in Sedona. The Chosen one coming from the Western Isle? This couldn't be any better.

“At least I'm working here, not like you, wandering along the garden with a fan in your hand” Lars' voice annoyed the crap out of my ears as I threw him a bored glare, not saying anything more. The news were clearly running fast from mouth to mouth if he managed to find out so fast what I'm up to at Shadwood. Our mouths opened at the same time.

“Anyway, I've got better things to do” We said simultaneously before scowling at eachother. I opened my fan in the same second he crossed his arms.

“You could get along really well” The girl said as both me and Lars puffed indignatedly and left in opposite dirrections, creating a perfect simethry. The poor girl remained bewildered in the middle of the school yard, both her and Lars not knowing that I was acting like him on purpose. I hread the bell ring and rushed to the class. Hoping that I entered the class The Chosen one was in, too, I walked over to the window and sat on the window still, looking around the empty schoolyard.

I saw the girl's reflection in the window entering the classroom and taking a seat. I smiled, guessing right once again.

“Miss Wolfgang!” The teacher said, annoyed, shoving the book he was holding on his desk.

“What?” I asked annoyed, throwing a bitter look at the teacher.

“I understand you're not here to study because of your well-mastered powers, but would you please stop climbing up on the window still?” The teacher said, raising his voice at the last part. I frowned at him, not really knowing what he meant by 'stop climbing'. I've never climbed on the window still before. Well, certainly not on that window still. I just sighed and jumped off, while the teacher thanked me and told me to take a seat before he sat himself. Fortunatelly, there was an empty place righ next to the girl. I sat on the chair and looked at her directly for the first time.

“Hey, aren't you the girl from earlier?” I whispered, receiving a nod as I smiled at her. “Meet me by the pond after this period.” I told her, winking. She didn't bother to ask why, but just turned her attention to the teacher again.

…......................................................................

And yet another loooong chapter that took me AGES! Anyway, comment, please~ (^_^)

@Dudu: sorry, sorry, Dudu. I forgot to sent you this one. TT_TT I don't have time recently. *evil shiny eyes* I guess you'll have to check youself for updates from now on Kekekekeke~

@TT & griselmay: thankies~ ^^

Chapter 11

As soon as the bell rang, I rushed up out of the classroom, with the intent of making it to the pond before the girl would. Again, I had to bare with all the weird looks and, sometimes rude comments that were thrown at me by the other students. I hated being like this. I did not want to be like this. Thinking over the situations again, I was about to curse the Oracle for making me go search for the chosen one. But I thought again and realized that the Oracle told me and Raj only not to tell her that we were guardians. I myself overacted with the 'pure Sedonianship', lacey fashionable clothes and smug attitude. And I dragged Raj with me into this. He was probably the person I pitied most. He had no fault in all this mess, he only remained quiet at my stupid ideas. He didn't even want to come in the first place. I promised myself that I'll apologize to him and everyone else that has suffered because of me.

“Hey look at that girl! Oh, God, doesn't she look like a brat?” A female voice whispered from somewhere in my left as another female voice giggled.

“She is dressed so weird! Did she borrow miss Ghelda's curtains?” The other female voice said before they both started laughing under their breath.

Maybe I won't apologize that fast. After all, people are ignorant and selfish.

I spotted the girl coming up to me and I instantly woke up from my thoughts to greet her as cheerful as I could before asking her about her arrival here. Like I didn't know...

“Yeah, I got here yesterday. What about you?” she asked as cheerful. I almost forgot how my attitude was supposed to be as she asked me the question and waited patiently for me to answer.

“Oh, I'm not here to study. I'm here to...” I hesitated a bit. 'Smug, sound smug!' “...take notes” I ended the sentence, smiling. She made a weird face at the last part. 'Not that smug'. “My name's Marine, by the way. Marine Wolfgang” I added, trying to make up from the previously used tonality and holding out my hand. She seemed to smile a bit and shook my hand.

“Rhen Darzon. Nice to meet you” She said, happily. “Are you from the Western Empire, Sedona?” She added as I widened my eyes in amazement. Like I didn't know this either...

“Yes, actually yes, I am. What, it was the clothes or the smug attitude which betrayed me?” I said, jokingly, trying to lighten up the atmosphere. We soon found ourselves laughing and joking like lifetime friends, thing that wasn't exactly in my plans. However, as I was walking to the classroom after the bell rang, I smiled, happy that I just made myself a new friend, thing that is quite rare, acknowledging that we are talking about me.

Rhen widened her mouth and eyes, amazed at the immensity of my room. If I wanted her to get to trust me and follow me, I would have to get good friends with her. As the though came across my mind, I felt a bit of sadness running trough me. Friends for me were really rare and even if I fool most of the people, the real friends are always at the bottom of the 'to-fool' list, if not not being in it at all. She was looking with awe at the room, not having any intent of chat for the next few minutes. I felt sorry for her. But the lie was a lie and I already started saying it, so I had to go with it until the very end, or else, I would be hated by the Oracle even more than I currently was.

“So, what are you going to do after you graduate?” I asked, suddenly, opening some random subject while sitting on the bed.

“I have no idea” She said, frowning. In that fraction of a second, I got an idea. She would really get the chance to graduate, because I was intending to let her be until she does, and only then 'recruit' her .I just had the feeling that things would go smoother that way.

“So you already met....” I started before stopping abruptly, getting a sick feeling at what I was just about to ask her. “...Raj” was supposed to come after my unfinished question, but, thankfully, it did not.

“Met who?”

“No one. I was thinking of something else” I said with the most common answer, that happened to sound the most suspicious of all the possible ones, but which also happened to be the first one that ran trough my head. After that almost-screw-up, I just felt more guilty and sorry for her and ended up walking out on the balcony and back in the room and so on making the poor girl even more confused than she already was. After calming down, I just continued our chat with another common question.

She started telling me everything that happened to her until the moment we met. Her life has been, surely, eventful as well as mine, but in a different way. She had been dragged on the Eastern Empire without her approval, and that's why she was telling me her life story with such hatred in her eyes and words. I was occasionally commenting on some random event that happened to her, trying to un-tension her, and the result was favorable, with her forgetting about her previous hate attack and laugh, amused. But at one point, I couldn't laugh neither comment on anything.

She started telling me about a nightmare she had while ago sleeping at the inn in the town, two or three days ago. The things she was telling me were matching the weird events that I came across while going to the dark place on the Southern Empire. They were not exactly the same but the places and people were.

“It was this weird, dark place. Some sort of palace. And it was this figure sitting on a throne, talking to a guy who he was calling “a daeva” and who wore a blue armor.” Rhen started as I continued watching her in utter shock. “And then, the figure called out a name... It was starting with I...In-something...Indra! After he said that name, the water in the pond rose and took a human form. That figure called it demoness a few times”She said, waiting for me to react in any way. I guess my terrified expression was telling everything. I asked her for any additional details on the 'demoness'.

“I remember her saying something... That all the waters around the world are keeping out an eye.” She said as I waited a few seconds, thinking before realizing that she must not know that I happened to go trough a similar experience. I smirked, trying to make up a joke out of her nightmare. “Why?” She suddenly asked.

“Just asking.” I said, making a short pause and laying on the bed. “Oh, no, the waters are spying on us!” I said jokingly while jumping off the bed and grimacing suddenly. As expected, she started laughing, but my smile faded at the seriousness of the situation.

“Well, I guess I'd better be going. See ya tomorrow.” She said leaving without waiting for me to reply. I sat on the bed as I heard Raj struggling to get out from under it. He finally managed to and looked at me with an concerned expression.

“You heard, right?” I asked him as he nodded, approbate. “This is bad. Very bad” I said as he didn't say anything, but just sat on one of the armchairs. “What do we do now?” I asked, a question that was more for myself. Rajah seemed to want to answer. I knew that he was going to say something that wasn't in its place but I let him continue anyway.

“I know two things to do in this situation” He started as I threw him an “oh, right?” face. “One. Dig a hole and live in the underground for the rest of your life” He said as I eyed him a straight face. “And two. Never talk or meet Kia ever again” I slapped my forehead. What could I expect? The war between fire and water will never end. Well, not in this world.

“I think we have no choice...”

“Great.” Raj said, cutting me off. “I'll go get a shovel” I sighed, hopelessly explaining Raj that I was about to continue my rudely interrupted sentence with “but wait”. He just grinned sheepishly at me as I sighed, exasperated. He was annoying me on purpose.

The next ten months had been a pain. Why were maids entering my room without permission while I was out? No. Why were maids in a institution like Shadwood that wasn't full of snobby spoiled kids who needed maids? I will never understand the concept of some people. The fact that the monochromatic-dressed girls were entering the room was something. But finding Raj there was something else. He told me many times that he was almost caught. However, I finally managed at one point to convince Harald that I didn't need any maids and that they should not ever enter in my room again.

And Rhen... Well, as expected for the Chosen One, she was doing remarkably well. I always had to alternate the classes between sorcerers and sword singers. I didn't want to look suspicious. However, in most of the cases, I got to meet with that green-haired brat, Lars.

One day Rhen had a weird look on her face. I could have guessed that something happened. She avoided speaking and her face was all red. I suffered a terrible shock when I managed to enter and decipher her fuzzy thoughts. The thoughts were saying things about her being locked in the storage room with Lars and blank spaces and more blank spaces and love and even more blank spaces. Although the blank spaces were annoying me terribly and attracting my attention like hell, I could not ignore the “love” part. This wasn't good. Not at all.

I never experienced it myself, but Rhen looked awful and I kinda pitied her. She was embarraased and didn't want to talk about it at all.

“You alright?” I suddenly asked, trying to sound oh so innocent and clueless. She just nodded, with her pillow in her arms and looking trough the window. Hey! My clueless innocence shall never be rejected so lightly!

“Are you sure you're alright?” I asked. For God's damn sake, she didn't move from that position for several minutes. She nodded once again. Right....

“Sure sure?” I asked, getting already annoying. She turned around abruptly and threw me a death glare.

“Marine! I said I'm fine, then I'm fine! Stop bugging me” She said bitterly, turning around and looking trough the window. 'My ass! You're almost throwing furniture at me and you're telling me you're fine?!'

“Alright, so what did Lars do to you?” I asked suddenly on a completely different tone. She turned at me abruptly with a scared expression.

“How do you know?”

“Know what? Everybody talks about the fact that you and Lars got stuck in the storage room. The rumors are running fast around a teenagers institution.” And Marine Wolfgang, the mindreader had nothing better to do than eavesdrop. Very original.

“Great, now I'll have to live the rest of my life with a paper bag on my head.” 'She's hopeless'. I sat up from the bed and headed for the door.

“I'll see you tomorrow. Get well until then, and clear your mind. The trials are approaching” I just left the room and closed the door slowly. Great. Everything was going as wrong as it could. As I started walking along the hallway, I head the signal that announced the students to go to their bedrooms. I can't believe I left Rhen there, to whine alone in that pillow. There were things worse than being in a situation she was in.

What the hell was I doing? Giving up like that? For lying, I could at least make up with some good advices for her. I spun on my heel and returned to her room. As expected, she was in the same disposition she was six minutes ago. And as expected, I got yelled at. She was obviously not in a mood to discuss right now. Or rather, discuss about wandering trough the jungle -my idea-. So I just hoped that I annoyed her enough to stop thinking about whatever she was thinking.

I went straight to my bedroom and avoided any conversation with Raj. He probably saw I was in a bad mood and didn't press the matter. Having Rhen daydream was so stressful it made my head ache. She just had to pass the trials. I already wasted almost a year. I couldn't waste another one just because she was daydreaming. I just needed to find a way for her to concentrate. Somehow... Aw man... Why do I have to do the other's job?

…...................................................................................

Yaaah! This really took me ages... Sorry for the late update, folks... I was busy around here. But then again, it's here, isn't it?? Enjoy!

I wove exposing character's thoughts ^w^

Okay, I'm done now! * runs away *

@Dudu: sorrie, like I said. Anwyay, maybe this is a reason for you to come around here more often >D

EDIT: Whooopsie... I forgot to mention this, but:

Author's Note: I used italics for poiting out what only Marine could hear, remember? :) only to make sure there's no confusion out there

Chapter 12

That was it! I had enough of her standing still and looking at the big nothing. I was very aware of what might happen if she did not make it trough the trials and it was annoying me terribly. Not the fact that she was simply treating me as she was when I tried to talk to her was what annoyed me. But heck! The entire fate of the world was depending on her. Incredibly but true, all this mess made me forget about my selfishness and care for the others. I didn't give a rat's ass that I was on that world too and I could perish just as well. I actually cared for the millions of lives that were to be lost when the Chosen One took the wrong path. Why suffer all the world for one person? Why, when someone could do something?

The teacher yelled at me once again as I was sitting on the window still. “Nice with me for more than a year? Maybe, but I had to stand him too”

Rhen watched me as I sat next to her. I sighed, and as expected, a whisper fight started between me and her. But at one point, she told me something that made my ears hurt.

“What about you? You came here to 'observe' and it has been a year and guess what: you're still here!” I turned at her with an angry expression. That was it. I forgot for a second that she didn't know I was here to help her and lost my calm.

“What I'm doing and why I'm doing it is my business. You think your existence is pointless in this world. Well, let me tell you something: it isn't. You are more important that you would ever imagine. And I know you think I'm crazy now, but you'll see how right I am when you'll find out the truth.” I said, raising my tone a bit at the last part. The teacher must have heard me, but I didn't actually care. I just exploded and told Rhen things that I shouldn't have. I made her think that I was able to read thoughts. But it wasn't important now anyway. I mean, she will eventually find out.

She opened her mouth to say something, but didn't even get the chance to finish the word.

“Wha-”

“And one more thing.” I said, making a short pause. After all, I didn't want to make her feel that she was actually “grounded” for anything else. “I'm not telling you to stop from thinking at the things you consider the most important. It's only human for you to do so. What I'm telling you is to pay attention and concentrate at what's happening around you too.” I said, in a more calm tone

“Miss Wolfgang!” The teacher shouted at me as I sat straight up.

“That's all I had to say. And I'll be leaving now, thank you” I said, aware that all the class heard me and Rhen speaking. I went towards the door, stopped before it and turned at the teacher with a smiling face.

He didn't think he will get away so easily, did he?

“You've been a wonderful teacher. I hope we'll meet again” I said with a most ironic tone before leaving the classroom.

Slamming the door shut, I leaned my back to the wall and covered my face with my hands. I just done something that almost passed the limit the Oracle told us not to pass. But I calmed down when I realized that I could have actually made it. With the risk of losing my friendship with Rhen, I did it.

I slowly opened the door to my room only to see the mess that was inside. Clothes, shoes, papers, some of my books; they were all laying around the room making it seem a total disaster. I guess that those are the consequences of not having a maid.

“What's with that face?” Rajah asked, coming out from he knows where.

“What face?”

“Nice try, but I know your faces and this one is a really flushed one” I sighed, knowing that there was no way I could possibly get rid of him so I told him everything. I was slightly surprised to see that he didn't seem too annoyed and didn't tell me things like “oh, now you've done it!” or “great job, genius, you screwed everything just when we were this close”.

For the next few days, I barely left the room. Although I ordered not to be disturbed by maids, I guess they were starting to worry and I often stumbled across the situation when one of them would enter all of a sudden. Evil little dust wipers.

The day when the trials results were posted, there was a sea of voices outside. I closed the window, regretting my will to get some fresh air after the wave of hisses, frustrated yells, cries and other stuff entered my room and even woke Raj up. Did I say “woke Raj up”? I guess I did. And if we're talking about loud enough to wake up mister Sleeping Beauty, then we're talking about something outrageously loud.

I waited four freaking hours for an acceptable amount of students to go back to their rooms. It was like a sale day at an exotic fruit bazaar. Only that the fruits were a couple of lists, you couldn't take them and the sorrowful trader had to be some innocent teacher that happened to pass by there. At one point I saw Lorad, the high sword singer struggling to get free from the crowd. Poor man; I am amazed he managed to leave that crowd whole.

She was on the list. Rhen was on the list. And I mean the Passed list. I never doubted her! I always knew she will pass. With only a tiny shade of a doubt... Fine, I had been more paranoid than I will ever be in my entire life. But the girl passed, she will save the world, everyone will be happy.

A acute pain ran trough my head. Wh-what was that? It was no ordinary headache. It was almost as if my... my subconsciousness was burning. I have no idea how that can be possible, but that's the most accurate explanation I can provide.

“Marine” A voice was calling my name. I knew that voice. It-it was Talia. And the concerned tone in her voice didn't seem to want to bring happiness. “Marine! You're late! Where is the Chosen One?”

“I-... Talia, I will explain more when we meet. Where are you? What do I have to do?” I responded her, not having the slightest idea how I did that.

“Veldarah's Castle. Meet me and Telin'De'Baron there. Bring Rajah with you too. I have something important to tell him” That didn't sound good.

“Talia! What happened?” I did not hear her respond. “Ta-...”

“It has started” She said simply as the pain disappeared, along with the weird feeling I had. What has started?

Rajah groaned. He sat almost violently on the edge of the fountain in the middle of the town square. Why was he complaining anyway? The sun was so powerful I was afraid that my skin was going to burn off before Rhen arrives. He was in his element. But I guess that what Talia needed to say was what was concerning him.

“Why are we here?” He asked, looking up at me trough the small line that made his eyes visible.

“We're waiting for Rhen.”

“Couldn't we wait for Rhen at the Academy? How do you know she will come?”

“She will search all the academy and then, she would have to search the town for me. Human psychology, my friend”

“Wouldn't it have been easier to wait in your room, where it was the most obvious place you could be in?”

I didn't answer immediately but just made an annoyed face and looked in the distance.

“Shut up” I said simply as Raj started laughing.

I heard people screaming and pointing at something behind us, terrified as me and Raj turned in sync before backing off from the cursed fountain. A mass of water was rising from the fountain, contorting into many shapeless forms. After fractions of a second, the water took a slender shape, resembling a giant snake. I would have done something if me and my power wouldn't have been completely useless. I looked at Raj who was watching the water snake with his head tilted, interested by the liquid's actions. I stepped on his foot to make him pay attention and made a quick sign with my head. He nodded and looked at the snake.

Crap! I blinked. I blinked and missed everything. I have no idea what the heck Raj did to that damned water snake, but it must have been something amazingly fantastic to see. The water was all gone and the only track that was left and could get both me and Raj into jail for destroying the community goods was the hot wave of air that lingered around the square, not finding its place. The water evaporated before it could even boil. Imagining what I missed, I shook the thought off before getting frustrated once again and concentrated on what power made the water snake rise out of the fountain.

“This was Indra” I said suddenly, looking at the dried-up fountain.

“So that's what Talia meant.” Raj concluded before grabbing my arm and pointing at the approaching Rhen.

I'm amazed that she complied and kept silent all the way to the palace. She was looking curiously at Raj tough. Gah, I told him to change at least the rag on his head. But no. Why was I worrying anyway, we were heading towards a place where she would find the whole truth.

I looked at the long way that the red carpet leaded from the entrance in the castle to the throne. Gurads on left, guards on right. Guard, guard, guard, guard, Lars, guard, guard. Wait! What?! What was Lars doing here? This was a place where serious magical stuff will be discussed. Why him? Maybe he was somehow related to the empress. Awgh... that empress.

I will never understand why the Oracle had agreed to tell her everything that was happening. I know, I know, the woman had some outstanding magical abilities. But did she have to be that harsh? That's why I shivered when I saw her watching me with mean eyes. Penetrating glare... Ugh.

“You're dead” Raj whispered to me, seeing Talia look at me with those disappointed eyes.

“You're not helping at all!” I responded bitterly.

Of course, how could a normal magical meeting between the Oracle's human harsh sister and the self-deciding guardian(me) go, keeping its normal state, without having her scold me.

“You like waiting until the evil makes its first strike, don't you, poison guardian?” Yes, I want everyone to die. “Poison guardian”. Why was I called that? It's not like I was controlling poison, or anything. Yes, my wolf form did have a poisonous bite. All of the guardians did. But why me?

“The chosen one is always ready” She responded with her teeth clenched at my affirmation. I wish Vata could be here to rewind everything until before the trials. Then I could show the empress how 'willed' was Rhen to save the world.

Poor Rhen, she was confused. About everything. Or did Telin scare her?

“She does not know?” DUH! That's what your nicer immortal sister, the Oracle told us to do: keep the secret.

“It was the Oracle's order” Talia explained robotically. Almost as if she was thinking at something else. I entered her mind as she continued speaking. “ must... missing... Eithera... tell...Rajah” Self note: never try to read a druid's mind unless necessary. Their thoughts are more knot-ish than the humans'.

Eithera was missing. That meant... that demons were no longer watched over. Oh, damn.

I sighed defeated, approving what Talia has just revealed about me and Rajah as about the existence of the druids and her role in all this mess. Great. Rhen was shocked. Why wouldn't she? She suffered enough shocks that day. Why not one more?

I tried to change the subject and made Talia tell Raj what she's been wiling to. Raj was devastated. And it was my fault not his. I dragged him with me unconsciously. I forgot how vital his druid was. Now that Eithera was gone, demons were free. The Oracle wasn't stupid; she couldn't possibly have asked all of the druids to come to the Sun Shrine. It was way too dangerous. Especially because the Sun Shirne was up high in a very visible, “oh-look!” point. Rhen had to gather the druids one by one. And after that, see what more we could do.

Lars was going with Rhen on her quest. What the- ? Great! No way I was letting them alone. Altough Daena had been unguarded for far too long, I couldn't let them adventure alone. At least for a short period of time.

“And remember, Rajah and Marine, straight to the Sun Shrine” Talia said before we all left the palace. Yeah, right...

…................................................................

* yawn * This one was tiresome. Oh look, it's 11:11 PM and I only have like seventy thousand things to finish. Happy me. TT_TT

Happy reading~ ^^

Oh, look, a chapter combo!!

Chapter 13

So the way trough the wildwoods was long, tiresome and freezing for some people. I grown a resistance to cold since I waste time in the Northern Isle. But the others didn't. I was afraid that we might encounter three-heads wolves. And Rajah would be like "Marine, go talk with him, he's the same breed as you, isn't he?" Only that Rajah doesn't understand that these guys don't care when you tell them that you are only passing trough. Because their territory is their territory. I had the luck of not seeing any, tough.

I must admit that I was pretty mean with Lars. But he asked for it. I would stop being like that when he stops too. I am acting like a two-year-old, I know. But I can't actually let him get away that easy. He is a brat and he shall learn not to be one anymore.

Ugh, if I could only remember what Daena once told me. "Fire vs. Fire and you get burnt" or something. Well, I am a brat, he is a brat so it would be Brat vs Brat and you get.... bratted?! Well, I cannot get any more brat than I currently am sooo.....

If Lars could only stop from stumbling over and bumping into things. And Raj stop shivering... And Rhen stop being so... absent-minded.

I have no idea how we could help Rhen and Lars. They didn't actually notice that we have been circling around the same route, have they? I just hope no. Because by the time we got to the tavern we were exhausted and they didn't even bother to say anything.

And I have no idea what sort of 'mind-go-berserk' dust the tavern guy put in my pillow, but in the morning I actually noticed that it would lead to nothing if I and Lars would continue our fight. Or it was simply my way of telling them “okay, we'll finish this soon so we won't have to lie that we know the way anymore and go back to our temples”. I mean temple, forgot again what happened to Eithera. Sorry, Raj.

Did I mention that I almost got my head chopped down? Yeah, and that was because I changed in my wolf form and Rhen categorized me as a threat. I told Raj that I had no particular reason for doing so, but it was actually because I didn't want to carry any of that firewood. There you go.

The hind. Oh, God, I started shivering when I heard that word. I head about that one before; the animal was only luring men inside her lair with her songs and turned them into stone with her beauty. I see nothing beautiful in a thing that looks like a centaur but with woman body. AND a lyre. But again, it might be just a thing of mine.

So and in conclusion we had Lars and Raj stay outside of the cave. Boohoohoo. They were really pissed.

But just when did Lars start listening to someone? Right, never. That's why he followed us after we entered the cave. Fool... He is really stupid if he thinks I did not see him. He is louder than a seal with flu and with a trumpet glued to its mouth. And that is very loud.

The cave was simply a cave with nothing special beside snaky paths. So we were walking silently along the snaky paths in the cave and eventually reached... it... It.was.UGLY!

Like the legend said, a woman-centaur thing with yellow?! hair on the horse side and brown hair on the top of (her?) it's head. Although the legend did not mention the last two details, the hind was disgusting and I do not know about Rhen, but I was about to throw up when I saw its ugliness. And that's, basically, what shocked us two and made us hiss, after all.

However, it started playing that lyre of hers and not late after, I heard a thud coming from somewhere behind the cave. That must have been Lars. However, the hind had to be killed, shouldn't it? I wanted to killed her in the old fashion with a sharp edge and you know the rest... But Rhen refused to let me do so by saying that she doesn't want to see the place all gory and bloody. Yes, but making the hind look herself in the mirror was boring...

We had to drag Lars out of the cave. All by ourselves. No, actually it was “all by myslef” because Rhen was practical enough to suggest me to help by using my fun, magical telekinetic powers. That was mental pain and it was not fun.

“Marine?”

“Yes?” I asked, concerned by Rhen's tone.

“I forgot the lyre inside the cave” What. The. Hell.

“What?!” I asked casually, not being preoccupied by Lars being passed out anymore.

“I'll go and retrieve it”

“Good idea” I added, sarcastically as Rhen rolled her eyes and entered the cave. I guess the cave really scared her; she was back in like ten minutes. Bad timing. She was back only to see that Lars was waking up and to interrogate him in a very angry manner.

“Let's don't start a fight, shall we?” Rajah suggested stopping them both before they could speak. And he was right. A fight was the last moral tiring thing we needed now.

I have been worried about Daena since I found out about Eithera. Poor her. I don't even imagine how it's like to be petrified and carried away or whatever they did to her. Tough, I have to say that as good as I knew, the only way to capture a druid is to turn him or her into stone. I must admit that I was shocked that Eithera was the first one to disappear. If you are to think about it, Daena should have gone missing first. She has been the most vulnerable of all druids ever since. And that's because I had been leaving the dratted cave out of mere boredom. Yup; that would have been my fault if Daena would have gone missing any moment.

That was too much guilt hanging on my shoulders.

I couldn't take it!

We had to leave Rhen and Lars and have me go straight to the Moon Shrine. And Rajah to the Sun Shrine, but that's another subject.

“Raj?” I whispered to him out of a sudden, while realizing that none of us knew the way we were going to. Assuming that it was night too. Yeah, great.

“What?”

“We have to leave Rhen and Lars and head directly to the Northern Isle” Rajah made a weird face and fixed me with his noticeable-in-the-dark dark red eyes.

“Worried about Daena?” He blurted out silently without asking any other questions. I hesitated to answer and eventually nodded ashamed.

He nodded and made a head sign to the two who were walking ahead of us and then shrugged his shoulders. That was the silent way to ask what are we going to do about them.

“Nothing really, just find that tavern -that, by the way, we were supposed to find hours ago- and leave while they are sleeping” That sounded easy when I said it. Raj looked at me annoyed.

“That's 'nothing really' to you?” I sighed and he gave in. “Ok, fine. But we should probably leave a letter or something?”

“What are you two whispering there?” Rhen asked out of a sudden, looking over her shoulder.

“No~thing... We were trying to figure out where that dratted tavern is” I answered promptly and rapidly as Rhen didn't say anything but looked forward to the path again. If that could be called a path.

“Lame” Rajah said, loudly before his stomach suffered a hit given by my elbow.

About an hour and a half? Yes. I think that was how much time we wasted trying to find the tavern. However, we eventually saw a light and found the wildwood tavern. Now that was a relief. Not. The rooms were as filthy and nasty as I remembered. Me and Raj refused to sleep in the beds, and also didn't want to explain Rhen and Lars why there were only two beds in the room.

Good thing they were exhausted and couldn't keep it for too long.

The skulking while Rhen and Lars were sleeping was harder than we expected.

“Are you finished with the letter?” Rajah whispered stuffing his bag with cloths while I was thinking if it was alright if I sounded so paranoid in the letter. Nodding affirmative, I re-read the letter to make sure I was clear enough. “Write about the South thing” I rolled my eyes annoyed.

“Raj, I am not writing them that; they are not stupid, they don't even have any business South!”

“Anyhow!” Sighing, I did as told and crossed my arms immaturely.

“I'm telling them you made me write that”

“Don't tell them I told you to tell them!” He whispered annoyed as I folded the paper and left it on the single stool in the room.

The door was locked. Great. And I didn't know where the key was. Maybe on Lars; he locked it the last time. That meant we had to sneak trough the window. My sight remained on the transparent glass, contemplating about how much it will hurt in the morning. My inner speech about why this is a bad idea was abruptly interrupted by Raj calling me to move along.

“Ouch!” Raj mumbled as he landed on the hard ground. I looked hesitantly at him as he stood up on his feet and mimicked for me to jump. I looked at the room at the sleeping two. Oh, how careless they were sleeping. I had to jump trough a window and break a leg. “What are you waiting for?” Raj whispered.

“I'm not going to jump down there” He sighed and slapped his forehead.

“Jump, I'll catch you” He blurted out after a couple of seconds of thinking.

Bad idea. Well, at least I landed on Raj. He wasn't the softest thing in life you can land on, but he was better than the hard ground. I could not tell the same thing about him, though. I wonder just how damaged his spine was now... Oh well.

We ran off easily and without waking anyone up. And that was the main point. Now I was just praying that Rhen and Lars will manage eventually and don't get themselves seriously injured just right away. . Nah, they will be fine... I hope.

…...................................................................................

For the inventor's of ice cream good sake, WHAT THE FUDGE!! I should seriously stop wasting time with stupid things and write more often. Ehh, anyway, hope you enjoyed. >.<

See yah~

Chapter 14

I finally managed to get to the damned cave... two months ago. I decided not to run off again and do my job properly at least once. Although I had a hard time, I eventually managed to make it trough the whole two months. I always asked myself what was Rhen and the others doing now; how far did they get? … I guess that's the only question you can ask yourself when you are to guard something in an isolated place, not knowing what's happening in the world. And all you can do is wait.... and hope.

Oh, that is so annoying.

When I first came to the cave a month ago, I found the place slaughtered. Silven corpses all over... Ugh, this was even more gross than actually seeing those creatures eat. Somehow I pitied them all, they have always been so vulnerable and had no chance of getting away from whatever killed them.

However, not seeing the silvens killed or the glistening ice stalactites I used to look at blankly smashed into pieces scared me. What actually scared me was that my druid might have been captured. I couldn't stand the thought that the Oracle will look at me with that “I-told-you-so” face after she would find out.

Fortunately, Daena was still there.

Good thing she was well hidden. Maybe they weren't able to find her and killed the silvens out of rage. That was a really intelligent option -I am being sarcastic-.

I was afraid that they might return. Daena wasn't safe here and I think we both knew that. For the past month I have been thinking of what to do, amongst many other paranoid thoughts. And being interrupted by the successors of the dead silvens all the time. Weren't those things growing awfully fast?

“I got it!” I whispered in victory to myself while just kicking a silven in the ice cold water. I ignored the creature that was yelping helplessly while trying to get to an edge. Why care? Those things know how to swim and have leather thick skin AND layers of fat under it.

Rushing to the “hiding wall”, I slipped on the watery ice and almost stumbled over. Rushing over in the Temple, I called for Daena to tell her my plan.

I was going to hide her somewhere else and declare her as missing...

“Hurry up” I said, leading the way out of the cave. Daena's disguise was her idea, but it was a good one, assuming that she wasn't allowed to be recognized by anyone.

“Where do you plan to leave me?” She asked. Good question. But a better answer came to me.

“In the Snow Queen's castle” I declared stoic as Daena made a short content “hm” and nodded.

The way to her castle was worse than I remembered. The paths seemed to be more narrow and more slippery. Ignoring the fact that we could fall off those paths on the thick ice, and into the ocean, the castle seemed miles away. And the wind was blowing harder and harder wit the every step we made. The Snow Queen clearly didn't want visitors of any sort.

Did we actually manage to get there? Yes, yes! We really did! But two ice guards were blocking our way to the throne. What the...? Now don't tell me we came all the way here only to be turned around by some ice wimps!

“No one is allowed in the Snow Queen's castle! We demand you to leave.” Demand? Now that's lame.

“Not even a druid?” Daena asked, removing the hood on her head. The guards lost themselves for a moment before bowing obediently and throwing apologies to Daena. What the...? Just how much have I been away and what did Daena do in that period to get this worshiped?

“Guards, let us pass” She ordered before the guards made us way and I was dragged out of my amazement to the way to the throne room.

“What was that? How come they respect you so much?” I asked in surprise.

“I am a druid, what do you expect? Everyone knows about the druids and it's a great honor to have one before you.” Ok, that made sense. Duirds were like gods living on Earth. But I didn't expect the Snow Queen, yes, the Snow Queen that stays always hidden in her castle to know of them. Humans are dangerous to druids. Because they can't keep their mouths shut.

“And when you think I was treated like crap by all those people. Wonder how they will treat me if I tell them I am your guardian...”

“Your human features are still there, are they?”

“What do you mean?”

“You speak like a human. You want people to worship and like you. Well, did you think about them not believing you?” I was silenced. “ Or, even if they believed you, do you imagine that all the work we all did was in vain?” Damn! Daena always knew to say the right things. Worse, the pure truth.

“Good day, Snow Queen” She said, waking me up from my thoughts and making me bow before the Queen.

“Daena! What brings you here, my dear?” The Queen asked as Daena looked at me and whispered me to “tell her”.

The old lady listened to my plan and the reason for its existence, nodding her head every now and then. After I finished my rant and took a deep breath, the Queen asked for some time to think and come to a decision. I don't know how fast she thought or about how many things she thought, but her “thinking session” was over in like seven seconds.

“I think I have a place for you”

If that wasn't a basement in ice version, I don't know what it was. Silvens? Aw man, I thought I got away from them. And some other things that were jelly-ish and that I decided not to examine. The mazy road was a plus, I guess. It took us half an hour to get to a bridge similar to the one in the previous cave.

“What are those, clouds?” I asked, puzzled, looking at what was supposed to be water. “Do you mean that is an abyss?” I asked, looking at Daena expectantly.

“An infinite abyss, more exactly”

“But that doesn't make sense! The Earth is round!” I exclaimed with indignation as Daena crossed the bridge carefully.

Are you sure about that?” I don't know what I can be sure of anymore.

The new Moon Temple was nice and pleasant and Daena seemed to be content inside it. We didn't bother to carry any of her books, but she didn't seem disturbed by that. Announcing that she will stay here safe and content until someone comes to take her out, she gave me some advices and we said goodbye to eachother.

The moment I left trough the door, a large stone wall glided down and blocked the entrance. Not bad. I crossed the bridge and spun around, to take one more look and to see that the bridge just collapsed, leaving me with a “am I that fat?” sensation before realizing what the purpose really was. Not bad at all. I hurried outside the basement-cave-thing and locked the blue door behind me. Looking at the neatly-crafted key, I rushed to the throne room and bowed once more before the Snow Queen that only smiled at me.

I extended my arm with the key in my palm, waiting for her to take her owned object. She shook her head slightly as I looked at her puzzled.

“No worry, my dear, I have one of my own” She said, showing an apparently similar key to the one in my hand, but at a closer look, different in what involved locking the door.

“But it's fake” I announced before the Queen nodded and I got the idea. “So what do I do with the original one, don't you need it?”

“You keep it. I never had a use of it anyway” She said, shrugging her shoulders as I nodded, bowed once again, gave her goodbye and left rushing out of the castle.

This was going to work. No stupid demon was going to take any druid of mine. Not as long as it's me who's guarding.

And the Snow Queen was kind enough to stop the wind from blowing as I left the castle. I won;t be thrown in the frozen ocean; not today.

…...............................................................

Alright, so I like how this one turned out. I have pretty much nothing to say about it. Hope you enjoyed, See yah~

Wow! I finally got around reading the chappies i had missed XD Great work! You know the usual: It's awesome! wow! This story has a great plot too ^_^

Thankies, sana. This one will be pretty plain but it soon meets with MWWDS.

Chapter 15

My job was practically done. Now I just had to go to the Sun Shrine and tell the Oracle that Daena has gone missing. But I considered that it wasn't really intelligent to go and report it right away. Maybe after a couple of weeks? Yes, that should do it. And now I had to figure out where to go and waste this couple of weeks. A brilliant thought ran trough my head as one word answered my question.

Sedona

Maybe even those friends of mine that I haven't seen for ten years! I wonder what Nasako and Martin were doing. Gee, ten years have passed so fast, yet so slow, and I didn't even thought about them. Shame on me. Only then I realized how much I missed my stolen childhood.

But I wasn't going to show up in Sedona like that. Even thought there was a bunch of years that have passed, since I lived with the thieves, I learned that you should never discover yourself, only in absolute safe circumstances. I do not know why or what I wanted to hide from the people of Sedona, but I wanted to hide it.

Thornkeep was as cold and chilly as I remembered. I was going to make a stop here first as that day ended awfully fast. Ugh! The inn room was messy and dusty as ever. Expected, I could say, since nearly no one came to visit this little village in the heart of the mountains.

Still, that innkeeper could try to be a bit nicer.

I do not know what was in my head in that very second. I only know that I grabbed one of my daggers and started chopping my hair with the accuracy of a bull. Now my hair was shoulder long and I kept some bangs over my forehead. Bangs are good to hide your eyes. That's what I thought in that moment, but shook it of once I just realized that my mid-back long hair was no more.

I definitely have issues.

That's exactly what the innkeeper thought when I left the room next morning. She looked a long time at my -now- cut hair and rolled her eyes a couple of times.

No. I do not have issues. I was trying to protect what I was supposed to protect and probably, the last thing I had left.

For the first time in my life, I was feeling sick on a ship. I do not know what plan my stomach had, but it wasn't clearly on my side. Great.

Now those sailors would remember and refer to me as “that-girl-who-was-throwing-up-every-five-minutes”.

Haha! Awesome.

Now, like I was saying everytime I visited Sedona, it has not changed. The place was all still corrupted. And I heard people talking about thieves. Again. Ugh! I thought I already taught them not to sneak upon the city like a crowd of elephants. It was ten years ago, but I thought one lesson was enough.

They really needed help.

So sneaking upon a thieves' cave at night is not a good idea. The whole good idea thing in this is that they put two guys to guard their hideout. That's pretty smart. But not for me, because I was in the situation where I had to sniff the dirt. Because none of these guys knew me. Recruits? Huh! Now I had to go through so many because the scumbags didn't believe that I was a former member. I was surprised to find out that Martin wasn't the leader anymore. Geez, he barely recognized me. I had to remember all the names of whom was around and all the things that happened ten years ago.

“And I already believed I said about the Behinghtons' break in, have I?” I asked, crossing my arms and awaiting a response I was supposed to get since I started enumerating names as Martin looked suspiciously at me.

“You're okay... I gu-ugh!” He tried to say just before receiving an elbow in his stomach.

“I told you before that she really was Marine.” A familiar female voice said before passing Martin with a superior gesture. How I missed Nasako.

I was a blessing at that time. Because the thieves were doing awfully bad.

New rulers in Sedona, new laws, less money. The city was going slowly into financial decline. And that meant that it wasn't to be the richest town in the Arishta Isles anymore. Even now I await that day and hope that I will be present to see it happen.

But what was important was that the crew of thieves has decreased in number. And they barely had anything left to eat. Mainly because they had a stubborn leader. Which was, ironically, one year younger than me and had some attitude... that I could definitely not tolerate. And I will never. Ever.

“You speak like what we are doing is completely legal.” The 'leader' named Anthony shot back, interrupting me in the middle of the word!

“Surviving is legal”

“Not if you are a thief.”

Surviving is legal! It depends how you manage to do it”

“Some of us are born in lucky situations”

That was a direct affront to the fact that I was born in what he used to call “wealthy family”. Although I did not like Anthony, I accepted to help my old friends -not him- with one of those things they called “breaks in”. And I wanted the leather costume that didn't fit Zoe anymore...Because I never had a leather suit!Or anything that normal thieves wear. Was there ever a Zoe in the crew?

I guess not... another annoyed recruit, I say.

Didn't that leather suit fit me like a glove!

And the old Ashwood forest deserved its name. Now. Because it has come to ashes. It was just too obvious to not notice, although a forest that is missing more than sixty percent of its trees -which, by the way, have no leaves at all in mid August!!- is (Pfft!) un-in-te-res-ting, so I didn't really pay attention, although the rock I fell over was a clear sign that I should have.

My main objective was Sedona. The french-like city was unchanged in some aspects, but the uptight faces that every citizen possessed were just creeping you out. And I have never seen the central square so full. Like all the people were gathered together in that place to do what? Oh yes, circle around like ants but not carrying anything else but themselves. Because I swear you can get lost here in a fraction of a second. Like I just did back then...

Now that the laziness that I carried didn't let me care about what the crews were doing, but I had time to think and get amused by the fact that -what the hell!- I was dressed in the most suspicious clothes in the world and no one actually looked at me, or if they looked, they didn't care. And now this is the reason why Sedonians are getting robbed so easily. Although I saw most of them with their hands on their pockets cautiously. Well, that's a step, the next one would be announcing people or whatever when you see someone dressed like me in the central square.

I can swear I saw Lars once in that crowd. But I blamed the fact that there were too many people around me. Once is okay, but seeing one person thrice and still saying that it was just your imagination is just wrong.

I didn't really care what they were doing in Sedona, but I had business and didn't want to interfere with their plans to save the druids and the world... blah blah blah.

Okay, maybe I did care.

Just a little bit.

But as people just can't learn to walk and look forward at the same time, since it is too much of a challenge for their minuscule brains, I happened to bump into someone (I thought, at first). But it was actually a something. A something I should have not seen a while ago.

…......................................

Ohhh! Lookie at that! My lazy hands started actually finishing some chapters!!!

Now I will run off, since I have other STUFF to do. But I will update as soon as I can. Hmm

Whenever I say this, things are going bad. So I will not promise anything this time

Cheers~

EDIT: Whooops, I stretched the page when I put in this chapter. I'll go in and fix that.

Chapter 16

I should not have seen the demon in the crowd. As well as I should not have seen him in that cave years ago. He wasn't supposed to be there. Not when Lars was there too. Because Lars meant the group. And Dameon meant an army of Ahriman's minions. And when both of them collide, it is not good.

Oh, Jesus Christ!

I absolutely didn't need that then! I was so happy and merry because of my well-planned move. The big smelly lout was not going to ruin it just like that. I should have killed him then and there.

But I woke up in just the limit second to stop from cutting the stupid's throat in numerous tiny pieces. If the people didn't notice a cloaked, hooded person walk around the streets, they would surely notice this person kill another in a cold-blooded manner. And I would be thrown in the jail of Sedona in no time. Not that I haven't been there before, but this time on the wrong side of the bars.

Puffing and muttering one angry “Lucky slug!”, I shoved the dagger back in its rest and turned to sprint into the crowd before the demon could come back on Earth from his shock. If only I wouldn't have been grabbed by the hood right in the momentum of my jump to be almost strangulated by the piece of clothing as the seemingly sober worm pulled me back and spun me around, my head being exposed for a good two seconds.

Hissing slightly, I pulled the hood back over my bangs and sprinted successfully between the walking people, away from the demon, that was actually smarter than I thought.

Something so shocking caught my eye in my flee and I was forced to stop in a most dramatic way, landing on my elbows and back, covering all the nearby passers in the dust my heels stirred. That something was a certain acquaintance that happened to cross the road from the tailor to Gavin's manor dressed in a funny green gown.

Two ladies started laughing at my sprawled posture and insulted me for my clumsiness, catching me off -guard, in my awe moment.

I noticed a group of people sitting in front of Pemberlin's manor, staring blankly at a note stuck to the front door.

At a closer investigation, discreetly from behind the group, I noticed that the note was a “FOR SALE” ad.

Pemberlin was selling his beloved manor? Things must have been going terribly wrong with Sedona and its grandiose economy if such people degraded themselves in such a manner. However, Gavin didn't seem to be affected by the lack of money as he was throwing his annual boring, useless and tasteless party and inviting random people that he didn't know, just to laugh in their faces while fluttering a large fan of banknotes before their noses. What can you ask more from a hustler like Gavin?

What intrigued me was that Rhen was actually going to his party. Maybe someone unexpected -Lars!- had an immense urge to own one more house in a random town they came across.

I knew Pemberlin was hard to bargain with and his prices were awful, but I decided to just sit back and watch how she manages, if she manages. But, sit back, not before the window of Gavin's estate, no. From inside.

“And how would you like to pay?” The tailor hurried to ask me as I clenched my eyes shut, realizing what was that 'something' I have forgotten. Spinning around to face the expectant woman in my brand new gown I hated so much and with a radiant smile on my face, I browsed on the people I could fee.

“Bill my uncle, lord Gavin.” I said picking up the bag I stuffed the leather suit in and attempting to leave as the woman looked at me with a 'oh, really?' look on her face.

“Lord Gavin has no brothers or sisters, so no nieces.” She said, crossing her arms as I gave her a pale-face look with my eyes widened in indignation.

“Oh, he will be so unhappy to hear that!” I said, stepping to the door, awaiting the 'No! Wait!' that was to come from the tailor.

“No! Wait! I am writing a bill right now!” She said as I gave her a penetrating gaze.

Entering Gavin's manor, I hurried through the guests to an empty room and left the bill on Gavin's desk. He will be so happy to see that.

Eying Rhen have a not very diplomatic discussion with Pemberlin at the other edge of the room, I shuffled in the large gown. I popped up next to Rhen as Pemberlin gave me an odd look. The lavender-haired girl looked at me too, her eyes widening and showing anger at the same time as I smiled to her and got around checking out her current mental state.

“WhatthehellareyoudoinghereyouaresupposedtobewithDaena

notwanderingaroundandannoyingmetodeath

gettotheMoontemplebeforeIeatyouandtelltheOraclewhatyoudid

getlostgetlostgetlostgetlostnow

you'remakingmelookstupidbeforethisguyIwanttobuyahousefrom

getlostgetlostgetlostGETLOSTNOW!”

Wow. Those were some aggressive thoughts from the Chosen One. Nice one, Rhen. Now I was really considering leaving her deal alone with Pemberlin's strong bargain.

I looked at him to see what was behind that odd look he threw at me.

“She looks cheap......[blank]... She must be Gavin's niece or something.”Slowthinking!... What? Cheap?!

“Might my best friend here be interested in your manor, lord Pemberlin?” I asked, elbowing Rhen gently.

“Yes, indeed, she is. We were just discussing her method of paying.” He responded slowly as Rhen clenched her eyes shut and turned her head.

“Well, then. When my uncle paid for my excursion to the Western Isle, he made it specifically clear that I and my friends shall have all the comfort possible.” Rhen eyed me perplexed, not understanding where I wanted to get with the discussion. “I heard your manors are the most exquisite manors in Sedona, lord Pemberly. My uncle will pay happily for my best friend.” The man grinned and held out a paper.

“Whose name should I put for the payment?”

“Lord Gavin.” I said simply as Rhen eyed me suspiciously.

“I am one heck of a fortuneteller!”

“No, you are not!” I shot Pemberlin back at his thoughts as he looked up from the paper and started looking around him and at the upper corners of the room before handing me the bill and Rhen the deed.

A man passed me relatively fast before I shot him with a greet and he turned around to eye me.

“Hello, lord Gavin.” I smiled at him as he looked at me blankly for a few seconds and then smiled himself.

“Hello, darling, glad you could make it here.” He responded before continuing his way. “Who the heck was that?” That was one faint thought, but I heard it. As long as Pemberlin didn't hear it under any circumstances, I didn't really care.

“Why did you refer to your uncle as 'lord' and not 'uncle'?” Pemberlin asked me, crossing his arms before I widened my eyes and mouth at him while his suspicious glare disappeared.

“Just how grotesque of a person do you think I am?!” I asked, puffing, grabbing Rhen's arm and leaving towards Gavin's study. I left the second bill under the other one before we both left discreetly the pointless party.

Rhen asked me how could I leave those bills to Gavin just like that after we left the house. The disguised burglar had to pay more than everything I would have consumed in my entire life to wash up his mistakes. His deadly mistakes.

What made my jaw drop in the moment we arrived in front of the house was not anything related to the manor, or its size. But one certain person standing in front of it. What was the demon doing there? And why was everyone defending him? On a mission of helping them. Uh-huh... Right. He was shamelessly abusing of their human naivety.

All the work of finding and guiding Rhen for that whole year at Shadwood was meant to be kicked away with lack in interest by the Chosen One herself?!

“What do you say about that? We live in a world where demons are actually helping the chosen ones.” I grunted in a chanting tone.

“Yeah. And guess what? In the same world, guardians are thieves.”Oh, he said it.

“Shut up, spinach porridge!”

My insult wasn't enough to stop Rhen from staring at me at the demon's final statement. But fighting with her and her group was certainly useless, since the so-called sun priest was defending himself like a merchant that grew up in a sack of onions and was just caught hustling. He even looked like one. A sack of onions with a giant onion for a head, that is.

“Know what? I had enough. If you want to throw away everything you have been done until now, then so be it. At least I know we will all die at the same time and I won't be some special early case.” I said, ignoring the mass of protests that shot me before fixing Rhen's eyes and waiting for silence.

“If the humanity gets enslaved, be sure that you'll be prepared. Because I'll slap you with my own hand.” I threatened once the absolute silence was reached. Grabbing my bag, I stepped to the door, looking around the room and landing my sight on Lars, who has been the only one emanating a different energy form the others' in the room. He believed in what I said. At least someone did.

I inhaled and slammed the door shut behind me, hearing Dameon's “What friends you have, Rhen!”

Now I had to find a way to get rid of that stupid gown and tell the other guardians, druids and the Oracle what kind of party leads the Chosen One with the intent of escaping the world form Ahriman's wrath.

That seemed so easy then.

…...........................................

Oooooh, boy, I am so sleepy right now. And so glad I finished this chapter. Unfortunately, I am too sleepy to enjoy it properly. And some dogs are barking like mad in the front of our yard. God, damn it! I would throw a shoe at them, but I value every of them.

Enjoy the chapter!

Cheers~

EDIT: is it just me, or I have submitted this before?

This is coming near an end.

Chapter 16

I should not have seen the demon in the crowd. As well as I should not have seen him in that cave years ago. He wasn't supposed to be there. Not when Lars was there too. Because Lars meant the group. And Dameon meant an army of Ahriman's minions. And when both of them collide, it is not good.

Oh, Jesus Christ!

I absolutely didn't need that then! I was so happy and merry because of my well-planned move. The big smelly lout was not going to ruin it just like that. I should have killed him then and there.

But I woke up in just the limit second to stop from cutting the stupid's throat in numerous tiny pieces. If the people didn't notice a cloaked, hooded person walk around the streets, they would surely notice this person kill another in a cold-blooded manner. And I would be thrown in the jail of Sedona in no time. Not that I haven't been there before, but this time on the wrong side of the bars.

Puffing and muttering one angry “Lucky slug!”, I shoved the dagger back in its rest and turned to sprint into the crowd before the demon could come back on Earth from his shock. If only I wouldn't have been grabbed by the hood right in the momentum of my jump to be almost strangulated by the piece of clothing as the seemingly sober worm pulled me back and spun me around, my head being exposed for a good two seconds.

Hissing slightly, I pulled the hood back over my bangs and sprinted successfully between the walking people, away from the demon, that was actually smarter than I thought.

Something so shocking caught my eye in my flee and I was forced to stop in a most dramatic way, landing on my elbows and back, covering all the nearby passers in the dust my heels stirred. That something was a certain acquaintance that happened to cross the road from the tailor to Gavin's manor dressed in a funny green gown.

Two ladies started laughing at my sprawled posture and insulted me for my clumsiness, catching me off -guard, in my awe moment.

I noticed a group of people sitting in front of Pemberlin's manor, staring blankly at a note stuck to the front door.

At a closer investigation, discreetly from behind the group, I noticed that the note was a “FOR SALE” ad.

Pemberlin was selling his beloved manor? Things must have been going terribly wrong with Sedona and its grandiose economy if such people degraded themselves in such a manner. However, Gavin didn't seem to be affected by the lack of money as he was throwing his annual boring, useless and tasteless party and inviting random people that he didn't know, just to laugh in their faces while fluttering a large fan of banknotes before their noses. What can you ask more from a hustler like Gavin?

What intrigued me was that Rhen was actually going to his party. Maybe someone unexpected -Lars!- had an immense urge to own one more house in a random town they came across.

I knew Pemberlin was hard to bargain with and his prices were awful, but I decided to just sit back and watch how she manages, if she manages. But, sit back, not before the window of Gavin's estate, no. From inside.

“And how would you like to pay?” The tailor hurried to ask me as I clenched my eyes shut, realizing what was that 'something' I have forgotten. Spinning around to face the expectant woman in my brand new gown I hated so much and with a radiant smile on my face, I browsed on the people I could fee.

“Bill my uncle, lord Gavin.” I said picking up the bag I stuffed the leather suit in and attempting to leave as the woman looked at me with a 'oh, really?' look on her face.

“Lord Gavin has no brothers or sisters, so no nieces.” She said, crossing her arms as I gave her a pale-face look with my eyes widened in indignation.

“Oh, he will be so unhappy to hear that!” I said, stepping to the door, awaiting the 'No! Wait!' that was to come from the tailor.

“No! Wait! I am writing a bill right now!” She said as I gave her a penetrating gaze.

Entering Gavin's manor, I hurried through the guests to an empty room and left the bill on Gavin's desk. He will be so happy to see that.

Eying Rhen have a not very diplomatic discussion with Pemberlin at the other edge of the room, I shuffled in the large gown. I popped up next to Rhen as Pemberlin gave me an odd look. The lavender-haired girl looked at me too, her eyes widening and showing anger at the same time as I smiled to her and got around checking out her current mental state.

“Whatthehellareyoudoinghereyouaresupposedtobewith

Daenanotwanderingaroundandannoyingmetodeathgetto

theMoontemplebeforeIeatyouandtelltheOraclewhatyou

didgetlostgetlostgetlostgetlostnowyou'remakingme

lookstupidbeforethisguyIwanttobuyahousefromget

lostgetlostgetlostGETLOSTNOW!”

Wow. Those were some aggressive thoughts from the Chosen One. Nice one, Rhen. Now I was really considering leaving her deal alone with Pemberlin's strong bargain.

I looked at him to see what was behind that odd look he threw at me.

“She looks cheap......[blank]... She must be Gavin's niece or something.”Slowthinking!... What? Cheap?!

“Might my best friend here be interested in your manor, lord Pemberlin?” I asked, elbowing Rhen gently.

“Yes, indeed, she is. We were just discussing her method of paying.” He responded slowly as Rhen clenched her eyes shut and turned her head.

“Well, then. When my uncle paid for my excursion to the Western Isle, he made it specifically clear that I and my friends shall have all the comfort possible.” Rhen eyed me perplexed, not understanding where I wanted to get with the discussion. “I heard your manors are the most exquisite manors in Sedona, lord Pemberly. My uncle will pay happily for my best friend.” The man grinned and held out a paper.

“Whose name should I put for the payment?”

“Lord Gavin.” I said simply as Rhen eyed me suspiciously.

“I am one heck of a fortuneteller!”

“No, you are not!” I shot Pemberlin back at his thoughts as he looked up from the paper and started looking around him and at the upper corners of the room before handing me the bill and Rhen the deed.

A man passed me relatively fast before I shot him with a greet and he turned around to eye me.

“Hello, lord Gavin.” I smiled at him as he looked at me blankly for a few seconds and then smiled himself.

“Hello, darling, glad you could make it here.” He responded before continuing his way. “Who the heck was that?” That was one faint thought, but I heard it. As long as Pemberlin didn't hear it under any circumstances, I didn't really care.

“Why did you refer to your uncle as 'lord' and not 'uncle'?” Pemberlin asked me, crossing his arms before I widened my eyes and mouth at him while his suspicious glare disappeared.

“Just how grotesque of a person do you think I am?!” I asked, puffing, grabbing Rhen's arm and leaving towards Gavin's study. I left the second bill under the other one before we both left discreetly the pointless party.

Rhen asked me how could I leave those bills to Gavin just like that after we left the house. The disguised burglar had to pay more than everything I would have consumed in my entire life to wash up his mistakes. His deadly mistakes.

What made my jaw drop in the moment we arrived in front of the house was not anything related to the manor, or its size. But one certain person standing in front of it. What was the demon doing there? And why was everyone defending him? On a mission of helping them. Uh-huh... Right. He was shamelessly abusing of their human naivety.

All the work of finding and guiding Rhen for that whole year at Shadwood was meant to be kicked away with lack in interest by the Chosen One herself?!

“What do you say about that? We live in a world where demons are actually helping the chosen ones.” I grunted in a chanting tone.

“Yeah. And guess what? In the same world, guardians are thieves.”Oh, he said it.

“Shut up, spinach porridge!”

My insult wasn't enough to stop Rhen from staring at me at the demon's final statement. But fighting with her and her group was certainly useless, since the so-called sun priest was defending himself like a merchant that grew up in a sack of onions and was just caught hustling. He even looked like one. A sack of onions with a giant onion for a head, that is.

“Know what? I had enough. If you want to throw away everything you have been done until now, then so be it. At least I know we will all die at the same time and I won't be some special early case.” I said, ignoring the mass of protests that shot me before fixing Rhen's eyes and waiting for silence.

“If the humanity gets enslaved, be sure that you'll be prepared. Because I'll slap you with my own hand.” I threatened once the absolute silence was reached. Grabbing my bag, I stepped to the door, looking around the room and landing my sight on Lars, who has been the only one emanating a different energy form the others' in the room. He believed in what I said. At least someone did.

I inhaled and slammed the door shut behind me, hearing Dameon's “What friends you have, Rhen!”

Now I had to find a way to get rid of that stupid gown and tell the other guardians, druids and the Oracle what kind of party leads the Chosen One with the intent of escaping the world form Ahriman's wrath.

That seemed so easy then.

…...........................................

Oooooh, boy, I am so sleepy right now. And so glad I finished this chapter. Unfortunately, I am too sleepy to enjoy it properly. And some dogs are barking like mad in the front of our yard. God, damn it! I would throw a shoe at them, but I value every of them.

Enjoy the chapter!

Cheers~