Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kinnison

Problem with DirectX ?

Just about a moment ago, I opened programs that requires DirectX 9.0 and found out that the graphics are shattered terribly. Something like there's line all over the game window.

What could have happened? Yesterday morning it was fine but now its totally a mess, what should I do with it? I hope it doesn't have anything to do with hardware.

This stupid resolution prompt is annoying, I can't test the DirectX if its on the way. >.<

If a product worked one day, and didn't the next, and no software was introduced between the two points, and no configuration options modified... well, it may be that monitor again (as it seems you had an earlier posting about monitor issues).

I not sure I understand your "resolution prompt" statment... perhaps you could give more details (to include what version of Windows you are running on)?

But its a different issue, I think it doesn't have to do with my monitor flickering since I pretty much figured the cause.

As for the resolution prompt, it sometimes pops up when I switch some program to full screen. It says "Your computer resolution should not be less than 800X600" whenever the full screen switch is under process.

Well, after doing what you suggested, my computer still the same. Just that it went through an error beep indicating that the cable gone loose. After that, the programs that requires DirectX 9.0 seem messed up.

Interesting...

What video card do you have?

Is this the card identified card in your "Adapter Type" entry inside your "Display Settings" control panel applet "Advanced" button?

Is the monitor in the above described property page properly identified? (read: At the top of the "monitor" tab, you'll see an entry for "Monitor Type"... is this this the same, or a default monitor) This can impact the driver's ability to switch modes, as it will be limited by what it assumes are the parameters of the display device.

Lastly, you may want to review the "Troubleshoot" tab also in the above described property sheet. It only alters the hardware acceleration, but if the card is having problems... reducing its work-load may extend it's life.

Hmm, I think its NVidia GeForce as for my video card.

So all I have to do is to reduce its hardware acceleration and the programs I mention can run fine again? If that doesn't work, does it means a total end to my computer and no other options?

(Well, I did had the though of giving up my desktop just about an hour ago)

I'd not go so far as to say that reducing the level of acceleration is the long-term solution... but it may reduce the work-load of your video card sufficiently as to allow the drawing operation to render properly... more slowly, of course, due to the software emulation... but at least accurately.

The GeForce is a rather open name for a wide array of cards... you may want to verify that your driver is the most current. NVidia offers a driver update page here.

I would combine this, with a review of the earlier suggested settings for your monitor and see how things go... the odds are, things will improve :)

Video cards fail for all kinds of reasons, and the way they fail can vary as wildly as the various design decisions made to create them.

The most common reason for the behavior you’re describing (errant lines in the render) is caused by memory.

Memory blocks are typically filled with a pattern (most often ‘0’, but venders have been known to show some creativity here).

This issue can be a result of video memory, or a application memory that passes memory that contains a pattern that is of a specific colour.

When an image is prepared for render, the artifacts of the fill pattern can sometimes show in the image.

In a recent game engine I’ve worked on, I saw this problem… changed the fill pattern from 0xFF to 0x00 and away it shipped… without any stripes.

If you’re having stripes in your application, I’d check with a reference application… a tool you’ve either written, have the source code to, or can sincerely trust… if the issue persists there, then it is more likely in your video card… if it does not persist, you may want to contact the game vendor.

Hmm, yeah the stripes did appear on two of the programs that uses DirectX. Not only that, the DirectX Diagnosis test also have that kind of stripes. If I'm not mistaken, DirectX 9.0 have a test involving a spinning cube and ask me if I can see the logo on the cube. The cube are also striped, just like the other two programs.

Is it the hardware after all? Well, another advice me to re-install the driver otherwise it could be the graphic card damaged.

If reference applications like the DX diagnostic test application also have the same issue... I would reach for the latest driver first (I tend to like to pursue the cheaper alternatives first, even when the odds don't favour them).

If the most current driver doesn't resolve the issue, the odds continue to increase that the video adapter is the culprit.

What I typically do at this point is to replace my card with a known good one... but I have spares laying around... you may have to visit your local computer shop (or EBay).

Bump

I installed a new driver but it seems that the Direct3D is not verified, I tried to update it but it says that it couldn't find a software or something.

Anyway, I was wondering if I reformat my whole computer (Yeah I'm desperate), will this problem with the DirectX be solved, I mean the stripy line won't be there in the programs anymore?

What do you mean that D3D wasn't verified... could you provide the message that was given to you?

I'd not reach for the reformat solution, as I've little faith that it would solve this issue.

I didn't turn on my desktop.

I think it says something like this in the DirectX Diagnostic Tool:

Direct3D functionality is not available, please verify the driver with you hardware manufacturer.

Also, in Device Manager it says "Driver not working (Code 10)" something like that.

Well, I pretty much tried every possible solutions and I'm kinda not sure if its okay for me to unplug and replug the graphic card.

Something tells me that the driver you've installed isn't the proper one (not only because of the driver error in Device Manager, but simply that your D3D card is reporting that it doesn't support D3D :) ).

Given that the error only occurs on D3D surfaces, it's not that the card has unseated itself... the issue is much more likely in the driver.

Now, the real problem... what driver did you install, and which one ought you to have installed ;)

P.S. Any chance you've not restarted Windows since your install?

Hmm, its NVidia GeForce FX 5500.

I'm not sure if its the right one but I let the download site diagnose my desktop to see which driver is compatible and it recommends that. In the forum, they said if that problem occurs download a lower driver but I'm not sure which one should I get instead.

I'm not sure what driver they pointed you to, but the most recent one from your description is

here.

The latest driver appears to be version 96.85 as pointed to by the link... you may want to check to see if the version you have is already this version before downloading and save you some time.

If they are suggesting that you get a "lower" driver, get one which has a version lesser than 96.85. You can do this by taking the above link, and changing the version number of "96.85" to a smaller number... or you can go to the various alternative site which distribute drivers and find an earlier one.

Hang in there... we'll get that driver installed!

I downloaded and tried it (A different one, that needs Vista I think), still no luck. The Direct3D functionality is not available. I tried updating it and it says my desktop doesn't match the driver system or something.

On a second thought, maybe I just leave my old desktop be until I get a new set since I tried everything possible and no luck with it.

Actually, my idea of reformatting the desktop is from this topic I found in their community (quite an old one). I also tried all possible actions like the re-install of the driver and so on.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=34336

I even wondered if some loose hardware components in the Computer might have something to do with the Direct3D giving those stripy lines.

Fistly, what makes you think that the driver needs Vista?

Next, try one of the solutions posted on the NVidia site... go into Device Manager, remove the driver for the Video Adapter, when it re-enumerates the card, have it select the default driver (so as to assure that all the settings of the NVidia one are removed/reset), then install the latest NVidia driver.

While a loose video adapter may cause sparious results, unless your card is not screwed down, the odds or has been recently shipped or otherwise tossed out a two-story window, the odds of the card having been unseated is Very Low.

I'm additionally skeptical about the unseating issue due to the fact that it seems to only occur when attempting to leverage D3D... if it were a seating issue, the odds are most likely that the problem would be universal, and not limited to D3D surfaces.

Lastly, as you may have noted in the NVidia site, some were encouraging a re-install of DirectX. This is a long-shot, but doing so is also harmless so... you may want to give that a try as well.

The installer name says "winvista" lol. So I thought its for Vista.

Anyway, the solutions I tried are:

-Used System Restore, I thought it might be the software corrupted but it wasn't

-Un-install and re-installed the driver, still no luck with the verification

-Tried update the driver but it seems that the driver doesn't have any match between the hardware and software

-re-installed DirectX, still no change with it

Well, anyway I'm trying to figure out how do I get that driver updated, it says something with the hardware and software that aren't match, I'm not sure what that means.

No matter the name... I'd give it a try on your XP installation... if it runs, it's probably just fine... if it's not intended to run on XP, they'll toss an error message during install ;)

Just out of curiosity... are you restarting your system between driver uninstall/installs? Unfortunately, this can sometimes be required to encourage a driver to completely unload (it shouldn't be, but not all drivers are written properly).

If the driver installer reports that the hardware and software do not match... you may want to review what card you have to make sure that it is in fact what you'd earlier expressed.

Yeah, I did restart when I re-install my drivers, I even clear off the registry it made after I restarted my computer, but it still gave me that error Code 10 though, the one it says that the driver is not working.

Anyway, that's all I need to know for now. I'm not into troubleshooting that old desktop right now, kinda not into the mood though.