Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
LadyTwilight

Book Club Discussion: Twilight

width=300http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm359/Lady_Twilight85/Book%20Club/twilight_book_cover.jpg[/img]

Twilight is a young-adult romance/vampire novel written by Stephenie Meyer, and is the first book in the Twilight Saga.

If you enjoyed reading Twilight, perhaps you would be interested in reading the entire Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer, which includes Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn. There is also a partial draft of Midnight Sun which is available to read for free online HERE.

width=300http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm359/Lady_Twilight85/twilight1.gif[/img]

Midnight Sun is the story of Twilight from Edward Cullens' point of view. Meyer halted the completion of this project when it was illegally leaked on the internet.

PLOT

Twilight centers around Isabella "Bella" Swan. Bella moves from Arizona to a small town called Forks in Washington to live with her father, Charlie. Bella then meets and falls in love with Edward Cullen, but he's no ordinary boy...

"About three things I was absolutely positive.

First, Edward was a vampire.

Second, there was a part of him-

and I didn't know how dominant that part might be-

that thirsted for my blood.

And third, I was uncoditionally and irrevocably

in love with him.

To read more on Twilight click HERE.

FILM

Twilight was adapted for film in 2008. The film stars Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan (The Messengers), and Robert Pattinson as Edward Cullen (HP and the Goblet of Fire).

width=300http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm359/Lady_Twilight85/Book%20Club/twilight-1.jpg[/img]

Twilight is currently still in theaters. Watch the Twilight Trailer by clicking

Or visit the official movie website by clicking HERE.

Ready for the Discussion, but don't know where to begin? Try answering one of these questions.

Discussion Starters

If you quote the book please put the book excerpt in quotation marks and post the page number

*Please share with us what your chose in the poll and why:

*Did you like the story of Twilight? Why or why not?

*Did you identify with any of the characters? If so, which one and why?

*If there was one thing you could change about the story what would it be?

*If you where in the same situation as Bella do you think you would react the same or differently?

*What is your favorite part of this book?

*If you could live in the world of Twilight would you want to be a member of the Cullen family?

*Will you go on to read the rest of the Twilight Saga? Why or why not?

*How do you feel the movie compares to the book?

*What appeals to you most about this story? The setting, The storyline, The characters, etc.

A Note From Lady Twilight

*If you think of more discussion starter questions please PM them to me and I will add them to this post*

*You do not have to be a Book Club member to take part in this discussion. However, if you would like to join the book club and recieve updates via PM please let us know in the book club thread.

*Please Do Not discuss the sequel books to Twilight (New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn) in case the book club decides to read these novels in the future. Thank you!

width=300http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm359/Lady_Twilight85/Book%20Club/BookDivider.jpg[/img]

Sadly - I had a hard time picking which of the characters I actually "liked". They were all completely idiotic. The characters here are really not very nice or completely incompetent, so it's hard to say that any of them really appealed to me.

Bella is by far the worst of these. I must say that even though I was always P.E. challenged, I never worried about falling over my own feet. It's just too much - too pathetic.

Edward is just sickening. He is really a stalker of the first order and the whole premise here is completely creepy.

I must admit that I haven't seen the movie and won't read the rest of the books. I am, admittedly, not in the target demographic here, but I really think that teen girls can do better than to read these books. We need real stories and real heroes/heroines.

I liked Carlisle. But he's about the only one.

Why did I like Carlisle? Because I like the un-hyped characters. And I have a thing for medically-minded characters. Carlisle actually reminds me a (tiny) bit of my own character Kamae Asama--who, before anyone yells "PLAGERISM!!!" I had created LONG before I read Twilight.

I read Twilight, liked it enough, read New Moon, it was okay, read Eclipse to pass the boring hours at work, and have exactly zero plans on ever reading Breaking Dawn. The movie was so-so. I went to see it for my friend's birthday *shrug* It had it's cool parts from a technical standpoint, but it was hardly a thing like the book.

LJ: I've tripped over my own feet before XD I don't worry about it, but I've done it. A couple times.

Out of all the characters my favorite was Emmet Cullen because of his sense of humour...Bella came across as a really pathetic heroine because of her constant obsessing over Edward...

I liked the overall storyline of the book it was just the characters that were lacking...they could have been written better with more depth.

I haven't yet seen the movie so I couldn't really say if it was any good.

I really do like the Twilight books this book just wasn't really my favorite out of them.:)

I know that there are lots of fans here.

Never read the book, I've seen the movie unfortunately and I'm sorry for wasting my money and precious time on it.

I think that the movie is worst than the book but I don't think that I'll like the book either, so I'm not wasting my time, there are loads and loads more interesting things to read :P

Every person that I know alive and touched the first book says that it is the most boring book ever with most boring characters.

I don't have any doubts, I know what I like and that's not the Twilight Saga.

I have to say I really love the Twilight books although I agree that Bella can be a little annoying at times and pathetic. She really annoys me at the end of New Moon but I won't get into that, unless the book club goes on to read it.

As for the movie I HATED it. My husband took me for my birthday and I was so excited to see it. It was a major disappointment. It was probably the worst movie I saw in 2008, maybe even longer than that. There were so many awkward moments, it seemed like the actors were reading cue cards or something. And I don't think the characters where played that well. With the exception of maybe a few. I think the Charlie in the movie was very similar to in the book as well as Emmett. I think they went a little too weird with Alice and they didn't build a friendship between her and Bella at all. Jasper was a major weirdo, yeah he's suppose to be new to the Cullen family and the 'vegetarian' lifestyle but I don't see what that was translated into him having bulgy eyes and walking around like a tin solider all the time. And I literally laughed out loud the first time they showed Carlisle in the movie at the hospital. They had his face soooo white! It was like bad Halloween makeup. And believe me I wasn't the only one laughing at the theater.

I guess they are going on to make a movie about New Moon. Hopefully they re-cast some people. They already got a new director. I wish they'd just start over again though. Even if the rest of the movies are awesome the first one will always be a stinker.

Back to the book, as far as my favorite character it would probably be Jacob Black, but not really because of the first book. You don't really get to know him until New Moon. I love how sarcastic he is. There have been rumors that Meyer may go on to write more books but they will be centered around Jacob instead of Bella. I really hope she does I think it would be interesting to learn more about him and read about life from his view.

Couldn't finish the 1st book because Bella annoyed the heck out of me. How whiny can one human get for crying out loud? Does she have a spine at all? My sis's endurance lasted longer: She actually finished the second book before dropping it.

I mean, I understood the hype around HP: I actually liked it and got hooked. But Twilight? Nope, don't get the hype. Perhaps my tastes in books are less mainstream than I thought lol. (On second thought, they are very less mainstream XD)

Movie= did not like at all. It couldn't not stand on it's own. Dialogue was so cheesy that it was funny/painful.

Hmm.. let's see, I like Jacob the best. Why? He's the only one in the whole book who actually has a personality (besides Alice).

When I first heard of Twilight's theme, which is a vampire romance, I instantly didn't want to read it. I mean, I see loads of really cheesy vampire romances written by writers on the Internet, and some don't use SpellCheck, but anyway, it's mostly going through the same basic plot : Girl meets Boy. Instant attraction. Girl finds out Boy is a bloodsucker. She usually doesn't care, or either she is very frightened. Then after some kidnappings, some threats, and some other weird stuff, they fall madly in love and happily ever after, with in the case of Twilight, Girl turns into a vampire just for Boy.

And I just hated Bella. Especially in New Moon. But even in the first book she was so obsessed with Edward.

I read the series, but have not seen the movie yet. I thought Jason was an interesting character and I came to like Carlise and Alice.

The first book was a little slow, but not that bad. Some teenagers do obsess over crushes and do many silly things. As for the plot line while it does follow the general plots already mentiones, I think it is popular because people miss feeling like something was their whole world. Bella was clutsy, but I think that was supposed to be her likeable weakness.

I picked up the first book in October and have now read the entire series four times, finishing my fourth read-through of Breaking Dawn just today.

I think the concept of the first book makes more sense when taking in all four books as a whole. Meyer's point seems more clear on the second and third...and fourth reads.

"Sometimes I wondered if I was seeing the same things through my eyes that the rest of the world was seeing through theirs. Maybe their was a glitch in my brain." - Bella Swan, Twilight

Most important in my personal choice of a book is the ability and (preferably) the need to identify with at least one main character. Because Meyer writes in first person, (all from Bella's point of view) I found myself a little much inside Bella Swan's head. I'd rather not realize that an average 17-year-old is thinking just like me. I'm 26. It's a little scary. :o Despite all of that, I actually liked Bella.

"Why didn't I just walk away? Oh right, because I'm an idiot." - Jacob Black, Breaking Dawn

Though I liked Bella's mind, I adored Jacob's. Once I heard his narrative voice I was in love. If you haven't gotten to the fourth book, please do - you may find you like the story but hate Bella's "voice." In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and tell you to just get book four and skip straight to Jacob's part. ;)

Favorite character = Seth Clearwater. Ok, so he's not in the first book. But judging by most of the reactions to the lack of personality in the first book, I'd say maybe he was needed. :) He represents what I consider the best part of Meyer's story and perhaps what draws people to it - family. The nature of feeling absolutly swaddled in unconditional, warm and fuzzy love - feeling like the crap we all suffer is actualy worth the living.

(If I had to choose a fav from the first book, I'd have to choose Emmet. His big brother report with Bella, frankly, made me a little jealous) :loving:

I haven't seen the movie. Despite my beefs with the books, I'm afraid the film will ruin the franchise for me.

I have to say Bella had to grow on me. In the first she kind of annoyed me, I wanted to reach in the book and shake her a lot. STOP BEING SO NEEDY AND OBSESSIVE! In the second book she depressed me and in the end really annoyed me. But at the end of each of the first two books she does show that she can be strong and not so selfish. In the third book I found her a little self-centered at times. But by the forth book I think she really grew. She wasn't selfish; she went from being a weak pathetic character to this strong protector.

And I think that's what Meyer was going for. She wanted Bella to be this silly obsessed pathetic teenager at the beginning of the set and end up as this strong character that could hold her own. She even shows that with her cover choice of Breaking Dawn (book 4)

Although Bella annoyed me, she made me laugh a lot too. Kind of the 'shake your head and laugh at the weirdo' laugh, but she made me laugh. And I was refreshed by the fact that Meyer wrote imperfect characters. I like that Bella had to grow to become the heroine and wasn't just that way right off the bat. I find it more believable I guess. To be pathetic and obsess over love, and be scared and little self centered at time is very human.

@Marphlets I feel the same way about Jacob. I loved the section that was from his point of view, although it was a tense part of the story. That is a huge reason why I hope she goes on to tell more of Jacobs story.

** and I just try to pretend the movie doesn't exist haha, I still love the books though**

I enjoyed reading Twilight which I read for this discussion and then went on to read the whole series. While I don't think they are great literary books or that the quality of writing is very good I find them very addictive and a lot of fun :)

I voted Alice as my favourite character although I almost voted Jacob. I like the humour that both characters bring to the series especially as Bella and Edward are sooo intense all the time. I also really like Seth but he wasn't really in the first book so didn't vote for him in the poll.

One of the things I would have liked to have seen more of is character development. There really isn't much. Looking back on the book I found it a bit too unrealistic that Bella and Edward were so much in love with each other after only a few words and lots of intense looks - it was all very Mills and Boon - but then it is fiction. I also wonder why Edward decided he liked Bella (other than the whole smell thing). He's over 100 years old has seen and experienced a lot and yet connects with a neurotic teenager he barely knows. Also at the start the Cullens come across as not being that interested in humans and a bit removed from them. From Bella's side she seems to have fallen under Edward's vampiric spell. So from both sides it seems more like infatuation than real love.

Okay I've critised quite a lot but I must say that I did really enjoy reading these books (with the possible exception of new moon where I just wanted to constantly slap some sense into Bella). They took me back into a teenage world of infatuation where every little look has some deeper meaning. I enjoyed suspending reality and just reading purely for fun.

I thought there were a lot of good scenes in the last book and also really enjoyed reading Midnight Sun - it was interesting to see things from Edwards point of view although he does think waaay too much. I won't say anymore about these though in case they are read by the book club in the future.

I haven't seen the movie yet but hope to do so in the next week although will probably disappointed as most films can't compete with the imagination.

I dislike Twilight - It contains Mary-Sues and self-insert. To me, that is absolutely disgusting - a grown writer creating self-inserts? I really dislike Mary-Sues, and how they are "completely flawless". Nobody can be like that. It obviously shows lack of character. And the absence of plot and logic disgusts me. I can't believe such a book ever got published.

Heh, Kirroha has a point. In the first book, I was so bored with who the other Cullens were because they're so perfect and beautiful and so darn impeccable. The only reason why I paid attention to Edward was because Bella mentioned Edward every few pages. She's really selfish and I don't really see how she can keep Edward out of her mind just because it's "private". And no explanations can make me accept that.

I absolutely hated the butchering of the vampire.

No fangs? Wat? what's a lion without its teeth and claws?

Sparkly/glittery/etc. in the sunlight? These are night creatures, not walking glitter bottles.

The whole 'venom' mush. I be a snake. I take offense. :P

No sex until 'mated'? Or maybe that's just edward seeing he's a virgin at 107 years old [i heard this from somewhere]. No wonder he was all over a tasty human.

How the heck does a corpse impregnate anything?

These aren't vampires. They're wannabes.

Meyer basically took the vampire and barney-fied it. It's like making batman dress up as a teletubbie and his only weapons are harmless pomspoms.

@kirroha: imo, self inserts are okay provided you know what you're doing ;) I've read several self inserts that I didn't know they were self inserts until the writer said so rofl. Also, some Well known authors have self insert before

(And I just make fun of myself every time I self insert. Exaggerating one's flaws is so much fun.)

Mary Sues should all die horrible, painful, agonizingly long deaths though lol.

oh, the fangirls will kill me but I couldn't resist (I'll even bold it ;p):

Click

Hate twilight. Wel, maybe it's not appropriate for me to say this cuz I never read Twilight- but my sister (daeva_agas) has and she tells me about this book- not to mention the whole romance thingy makes me sick already.

So basically, the story is about a mary-sue named Bella, who is a self-insert of Meyer herself, having this lovey-dovey stuff with some bastard who is a so-called vampire.

Seriously, the vampires are entirely misconcepted. Like... Glowing/sparkling in sunlight?? Since vampires don't really exist, it's up to the author to describe them, but KTC has a point- vampires are NIGHT creatures- making them glow makes them seem like some sort of... what? reminds me of the decorative stickers I have at home which can "absorb" light and glows when it's dark but fades when the light "absorbed" wears out

A Mary Sue is basically a character that is 100% perfect and every character loves her. A character that can do no wrong.

A self insert is a character that is the author. While they aren't always bad, some of them can be really good. It's just most the time the character has absolutely no flaws.

@KTC:

That comic is so fab I forgot to breathe! Muahahahaha!

Yeah, Meyers might have made out better with the vampire-loving crowd if she'd called her undead something else. At the beginning of the book Jacob calls them "the cold ones", she could have stuck with that. Edward does say at some point that all the so-called vampire stories in the world were just myths and Bella even has a hard time thinking the word. Maybe that was Meyers covering her butt? I don't know - I liked the idea of whatever kind of creatures the Cullens were, but yeah, not vampires.

well, here's the real reason bella wants to be a 'vampy' ;)

hehe.

Sparkly vampires. I think the vampire genre has been crippled severely. Now we might get lipstick mummies, fluffy dragons, glittery werewolves, and pink unicorns.

pink...glittery...*shudders violently*

to balance out with the fangirls: I bring some amusing stuff.

Lovely catalog

Snarky review

And now I have a feeling I will be annihilated by said fangirls. *puts on hard helmet*

It's ok, KTC. I love the Twilight series like my dog loves boots. (I keep reading and reading) :loving: She's not supposed to eat them, but she just can't help herself. I still think those are some hilarious links. ;) My fangirl sword is sheathed. Honest! :blink, blink: :blink:

I think that even if Bella has no flaws, the book makes up for it. lol. It may never and probably should never be considered literature, but it'll be on my bookshelf forever. . . and ever. I may ask it to turn me into a vampire so that I can be with it always.

:evil:

@ KTC : :laughing: The pic was awesome. Anyway, yes, the vampire butchering was horrid. I think I read somewhere that Meyer didn't research on vampires and just got the whole idea from a dream.

Oh yeah, I found off of a website an interview with Rob Pattinson talking about his reaction to the book :

Well, I mean, I think people — there’s a thing about the books where, uh, when I was reading them, I, ugh, I didn’t know how to read it from, you know, teenage g– or any woman’s perspective, I guess. I don’t really know why they like it. But what I thought was weird about it, the, what, the reaction I had with it was … umm…. When I read it, it seemed like (grimaces) I was convinced that … Stephenie was … convinced that she was Bella, and uh, and you, it wasn’t, it was like it was a book that wasn’t supposed to be published, like reading her … her sort of sexual fantasy about some — especially when she says that it was based on a dream, and it’s like, “Oh, then I had a dream about this really sexy guy” and she just writes this book about it, and there’s some things about Edward that are just so specific that it’s like, I was just convinced that, that this woman is mad, she’s completely mad, and she’s in love with her own fictional creation and I — sometimes you, like, feel uncomfortable reading this thing.

I cringed at his lack of articulation, but Pattinson is quite perceptive of the series.

Not trying to offend some fans here though.. I just wanted to share the actor's reaction. But I'll just run away in case some fans get mad :o

I thought pattinson was drunk when he gave that lil monologue due to the articulation issues. Still, it is quite perceptive for sure.

speaking of ole pattin, here's something else he said

"When you read the book," says Pattinson, looking appropriately pallid and interesting even without makeup, "it's like, 'Edward Cullen was so beautiful I creamed myself.' I mean, every line is like that. He's the most ridiculous person who's so amazing at everything. I think a lot of actors tried to play that aspect. I just couldn't do that. And the more I read the script, the more I hated this guy, so that's how I played him, as a manic-depressive who hates himself. Plus, he's a 108-year-old virgin so he's obviously got some issues there."

still, i be running also XD (see my sig for my 'running' details)

:laughing: He's very VERY er.. mature? I dunno. But it's funny that he hates his character and expresses it through how he portrays Edward.

Been running for a long time, I see :) Ever since.. a long time ago. Like maybe a month. Ah well. Time to run away now *runs and screams bloody murder*