Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Amaranth

Has anyone read Pride and Prejudice?

@flavie: a movie does not prove anything about arrange marriages. It is only putting a book on screen.

If movies were used as proof all the time, we'd have a lot of 'evidence' for superheros around like spiderman and superman.

*sighs* I loved that serie, Colin Firth is so hot :loving:

Oh and I love the details in the book, especially when she describes Mr. Darcy's behavior before he asked Lizzy to marry him..with that sitting, standing, walking around the room part XD

i love pride and prejudice, when it comes to the films, I still prefer the older version though the newer version is like much better when it comes to characters but the older version was more detailed

I've read the book years ago. My sister told me the story and my curiosity got piqued. Actually, after reading the book I thought it was great. When I read Wuthering Heights, I changed my opinion a bit.

So what I liked about Pride and Prejudice. I guess it would be its incisive accuracy in portraying the social graces and nuances of a middle-class family with five(?) unmarried daughters. I pretty much got a good picture of 19th century life with the balls, courtship and drawing-room intrigues.

But I did not like how it was too bland, too passionless. As has been mentioned earlier, it was describing too much, even the events that would have been better put into conversation (i.e. the second proposal).

Jane Austen's style just isn't my cup of tea. :P

i read it in school and i thought it was alright. i probably would have enjoyed it more if i didn't have to read it for a class, which made reading it more like a chore than a way to relax..

haha but i did like the movie :]

i should read it again.. i might like it betterr now

I liked Pride and Prejudice because it does describe the time period well and the banter between the characters is interesting. I may have been able to get more from it since it was well dissected in one of my English classes. The teacher even wrote the forward for some of the editions.

I can't ever get past Jane Austen's first chapter. She seems to ramble on about details that the reader would see on their own if they just read the events of the story. She was very good at the unheard dialogue between charaters. Even standing and sitting said volumes in Austen's world. :)

i read pride and prejudice, that was long time ago about 8 years, i don't remember most of the things from that book....But it sure was interesting when i had it in my hand!!!

EMMA, NORTHANGER ABBEY, PERSUASION...etc were the other great novels from Jane Austen!!!

and yeah i forgot to mention king George and Sir Walter Scott...!!!

i sure admit that she's one great novel writer!!

About her:

Name : Jane Austen

DOB : December 16 1775

Place : Steventon in Hampshire

Famous Novels : Sense and sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Northanger Abbey, Mansfield Park, Persuasion, Emma, Prince Regent and Sir Walter Scott.

DOD : Died in 18th July 1817

I did read the book last year and I really enjoyed it! It was very detailed but I think I'm getting more patient with that now that I'm older(now reading Gone with the Wind :P)

It's a very romantic book and so interesting the culture was back then!

I could watch the newer movie over and over again

I've actually read all of Jane Austen's books. Pride & Prejudice is actually one of my favorites that I've read over and over. I love Elizabeth's quick responses and that she doesn't let herself be awed by someone's looks or money. She knows herself and what will make her happy/unhappy.

I just finished Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte - talk about hard to understand! I had to read several times over certain parts to understand the dialect of the less educated characters.

BTW, I also love Tolkien!!! Tried to read LOTR in elementary school and had to put it away for a few years. It takes several readings to get it all, but you can do it. I find it fascinating that Tolkien created this whole other universe. What an imagination!!!

I liked the book,and have watched the movie, the one with Keira Knightly. Though I liked the movie, a bit more than i liked the book, becasue austen's writing, while i liked it, is slightly .... bland (..Using the word that Medea used. its a good word.and i couldnt think of another.)

Also, i did like sense and sensibility.Though, It was a bit hard for me to understand at first.

That book.

D:

I know it's awesome. But I read it and kept thinking WHEN DOES THE FUN PARTZ COME D8

Got so bored with it. Maybe someday when I can learn to read at a first grade level, I will surely pick it up again.

*shuns self*

well If you are talking about 2005 version of the movie with Keira Knightly, I can see why lmao XD

Try the 1995 version, it is a BBC mini serie ;)

So the 1995 BBC version is much better than the 2005 version?

I've only seen the 2005 version, it's good but could be better. I really want to see it the BBC version but I'm having trouble finding the BBC version in any stores here. I'll probably have to order it online.

@Mizzou yeah it is awesome! My cousin sent me the serie from London a few years ago and I really enjoy it. I was excited about the 2005 version but I was disappointed when I saw it..a lot lol.

I love that series. Colin Firth is so much hawtness as Mr. Darcy. Man, I've seen that series so many times just for him alone. >.>

I have the book, but have still yet to read it. I'm not doing much reading at all lately, too obsessed with watching North and South and drooling at Mr. Thornton instead.

I know. I'm an eejit.

But the mini-series I did like better than the 2005 movie. Although, they are both very good.

*sighs* Colin Firth, you just have to love and completely adore him :loving:

And if you don't, all you have to do is watch the mini serie Pride & Pejudice and you'll change your mind :lol: