Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
stasea2008

Wasn;t really sure where to post this but...

I already bought Aveyond a few years ago off of this site and they are still selling it for $19.99. Is the Amazon $6.99 game download any different? If so, why such a big price difference? I'm not trying to start any trouble, just asking for future reference when or if I buy something from Amaranthia again.

Thank you.

Most of the portals are able to set their own pricing structures on a lot of games. Amazon has just recently entered the game arena as a serious distributor, and for whatever reason (to be competitive? to bring it in line with their other offerings?) chose to put most of its games at the $6.99 price tag. But other portals have done this before - you could always get Aveyond through Big Fish Game Club at a low price, and it was the same version as the one available here.

This is unfortunate for developers who get less than half the price back when a game is sold - at the even lower price it means they get less than $5 each time a game is sold that was originally priced at (around) $20.

But for consumers, it could be a great thing. If price is the most important thing to you, then you'd be looking for this kind of a deal. But there are other aspects that might make you choose the higher price over the lower one, if that's not the top of your priority list. Let's use Amaranthia as an example:

Amanda always releases her games here before they're available anywhere else. If you want to buy at a lower price, you could be waiting 4-6 weeks for it to be available. Depending on the release schedule and where you want to buy it, it could be even longer.

Bug fixes and game updates are always available here first. If you run into a problem that requires a new "build", it comes out almost immediately here, but you could be waiting longer again for the portals to implement the fix (many seem to be interested in getting the game, but not in maintaining it). In some cases the portal never takes the update.

Let's use Aveyond 1 as an example. Here at Amaranthia.com, we're now up to build C. Build B added a lot of new areas and new quests, and some bug fixes. Build C had a few quest changes, adds difficulty levels and mouse support and more bug fixes. If you purchased your game from Amaranthia, you had access to build C the moment it was made available. If you purchased from most portals, you still only have access to build B, and for those few who have build C, it took them several months to make it available. If you were one of the lucky ones to purchase from ArcadeTown, you'd still be on build A as they've never done an update. I believe this alone has caused a number of people to decide to buy the next game directly from Amaranthia rather than portals.

Along similar lines, some small developers who offer a game at full price from their own website, offer content that's not available in the portal versions. That's not the case with any Amaranth game yet, but that could change (and no, don't anybody read that as me saying it's GOING to change).

And then there are those loyal fans who are happy to pay the higher price just to support the developer - if prices keep dropping, a lot of little developers will go out of business. We even had some people beta test a few of the games (who then got the game for free as a "thank you" ), who STILL went and bought the game afterwards.

I know only part of that lengthy reply addresses your specific question, but it's good to know the full story. Then you can take all the other factors into account when making your decision :)

Shaz is right, but this has been on my mind for several weeks.

On one hand, I am afraid to drop my prices because I'm worried if I do, I won't make enough money to support myself. On the other hand, if I don't, I can't compete against giant companies like Amazon and the new trend of deep price cuts.

I do make money from my games that are listed on places like Amazon, but the % is very small compared to the % I make when I sell a game directly.

In the coming months, I will probably bend to the winds of change and drop the prices of games that have been out for a while.

The big question is: do I take the same route that other developers are taking? To make up for the drastic price drop, it is common to see casual games that are 2-3 hours long instead of 6-8 hours long. Maybe small chapter games are the best way to go in the future for a smaller price? $5 an episode?

well, just want to share my own "experience" if it can "help" :oops:

at first I came here to get clues about Aveyond 1 I've bought on Big Fish game for the lowest price, since I've got the "1 game per month" package, what means 6.99$...

then I was longing for Aveyong 2 to be released and still haven't decided where to buy it when it appeared - at last ! :lol: - here.

At that time, we were told it will be available one week later on BFG :roll:

well, one week isn't much, but I was REALLY impatient to play it and I've found so many good clues and helps to play Aveyond 1 that I thought it would be more fair to buy it there, since it was at last 15$ only...

I can tell you that I've never regret my decision for many reasons :)

First of all, Amanda's games are really good and can be played hours long at the first try and then played again and again and again months or years after without being bored, but ok, it's my opinion ;)

Secondly, if you buy it here, you will be given ALL the releases made by Amanda since the game is totally "fixed", what means you can have different versions of the game, which can be quite interesting and fun to play ...

At last but not at least, you can be a little "part" of the creator, since Amanda is the only developper I know so far, who take your remarks into account and is able to change option or even some ways the story goes, just because the players are saying it would be better like that...

So, 3 particularly good reasons for me to go on with that :)

And since I've been knowing her a bit more, I also became a supporter

:P:D 8)

I also like to purchase the games here. The only one I did not purchase here was AV1 (and the game I received when testing), and now I am stuck waiting for them to accept the update.

I personally prefer to pay more for a longer game with better game play than to have more smaller games at $6.99.

In my opinion, buy the games direct... why? Because Amazon tends to destroys art and innovation by making everything cheap... in this example, Amanda won't make nearly as much, which means possibly that she'll stop making games, or won't spend as much on art and music! This will lower the quality. In reality, $20 is a deal for what you're getting for an Amaranth Game! Just my $.02. Support independent folks and small business! You might be getting a cheaper price... but who is that hurting, and will it hurt YOU eventually?

I agree, and that's why I'll never put my games anymore on portals like Amazon/Reflexive.

Creativity and innovation needs to be preserved.

Amanda games are really great, and I think she should do like me and avoid those portals :)

The problem is, how can we keep producing RPG, typically longer to produce, if they are at the same price than shorter to make games (with smaller content)?

This is like selling an album at the price of a single. x__x

I first saw Aveyond 1 on Big Fish, but decided to see where it was from, and ended up on Amanda's site, where I gladly paid full price for it. I did the same for Aveyond 2, and will for the new ones too. The quality and the support for the games cannot be beat. (Plus I like Amanda and everyone here too.)

Maybe the answer to the problem is to split the existing games into "Acts" and charge for each "Act". You'd still get a longer game for each Act than you do on

most of the full games for $19.99 on other sites when you think about it.

As for the new ones, Members get to buy the full game for full price, and the rest can buy the "Acts". One by one.

I don't know how feasible this idea is, but...all I have to offer. I wish All good things to Amanda!

I originally bought AV2 from my ISP and then found this site and since then have bought all the Amaranth games direct. This meant that I was able to get the AV1 updates free. Also when my anti-virus program decided that AV1 and YDF were viruses and removed them I was able to redownload and install them really easily.

From now on I will always buy Amanda's games direct from here. My personal view is that $20 for the many hours I spend playing her games is well worth the money. I would rather the money go to her so she can make more fantastic games and continue to provide this amazing site for us to use. Thanks Amanda :)

One more vote here for paying the little bit more to get the game directly from the developer. I downloaded my copies of AV1 and AV2 from Shockwave, which 1) means I don't actually own them unless I keep my Shockwave membership active and 2) means that I don't get the most recent builds. When Build C came out for AV1, I decided it was well worth the $20 to buy it here to get the features that I wanted.

Also, stasea2008--where else but at the developer's website could you ask a question like this and get responses not only from the developer herself, but also other developers? :)

I prefer buying it direct from the developer rather than a portal. It's a bit relaxed for me to do that rather than buy it from another site. Unless, the developer is from a foriegn country and doesn't ship or sell overseas which I've had that experienced before, so I had to go to a site that does requests for those types of products.

Like several others have said, I prefer to buy games directly from the developer rather than a portal even if I have to pay a little more. More than once I've bought a game from a portal only to find out later that there are updates and patches available from the game website that aren't compatible with the portal version. If it was a game that I really liked, I repurchased the game from the developer so I could get the updates. The ability to get updates is worth the extra money. Plus I like to support indie game developers.

On a side note, I'm becoming disappointed with the game portals, especially Big Fish Games. It's getting to the point that all the games look the same. I rarely see anything unique on that site. I'm more likely to find games that I like and aren't the same old with the indie game developers but it's can be hard to find them.

At mizzou:yeah,all of them are realted with food,salon or dressess.All we have to do is clickety-click click- till our mouse retires.Aveyond has a new surprise everytime you play it,well worth the money.

I bought aveyond from bigfishgames build b. Then when searching for clues I came across this site and found that I missed extra changes, which made me sad. So I noticed there was a new game coming out aveyond 2 and couldn't wait so I bought it here and was able to get all the fixes and upgrades. Now I see that there is a third coming out and can't wait to play that. I don't mind paying $20 for the games because they take days to play and have hours of fun.

I do not like even paying 6.99 for a game and I'm finished with it in a day. I would rather pay 19.99 for a game and get to play a game I like for a long time.

amanda im so worried if u stop making games so amaranth will be finish because of that. only thing we can do is to donate some money but im still young and i live in a very poor country

$19.00 USD is equivelent to P 916.00 PHP but dont worry dont give up we buyers will continue support you and i hope amaranth is long live

There are several reasons I've stopped buying so many games lately. One of them is the fact that most games that come out don't have a high replayability value and are incredibly short so it's a waste of money, really. I am looking forward to the new Aveyond because I know it's a game I'll play time and again and get my $20 worth out of it. Games that only take an hour and a half to two hours to get through but you still pay $20 (can't afford the discounted memberships) for the lesser experience with other games. Just my two cents.

pay more for my games since i have almost every system so i don't mind pay extra for

something like this one game i bought that was only

10 hours of game play witch i loved but the point is it costed me 20$ but it was ok since the story and music and art were all compelling me to play

I bought my first game Aveyond I at BigFish games, but the rest from Amanda here. The thing BigFish 'does' do for Amanda is get her game out into the public's eye. I would never have heard of Amaranthia had it not been for BigFish. So saying she should stop using the portals is not necessarily a great business move either. But I am a die-hard fan and will always come here for the games now that I know where she is :D

Note to Amanda: Don't you dare lower the price and make cheap games. They are well worth the $20. I can't go to the show with my hubby for less than that and the entertainment value of your games is far and beyond that of a 2 hour movie.

Well I bought both games off this site. I hate amazon, i would never do any purchases through them. Luckily this site offers a very easy way for international users to purchases the game and it's much appreciated. I appreciate the fact that i don't have to deal with paypal- i hate that ervice too. i would be put to utter despair if i had to use paypal. i don't trust any big merchant sites.

And i agree with oracle. I'm not usually the one to buy games like mad, in fact i'm not much of a gamer, i only play these games which suit my style. Aveyond does so does everlong and idinerara' creations but not LOD or Last Scenario, too much realism there for my tastes.I thought they were too heavy.

I need something lighter and more conventional yet at the same time with good gameplay and good character development, so that you relate to the little fellas. And i am willing to pay for such things, a long as i know it is worth my time and gives me good entertainment value.Aveyond gives me that.

Thanks to Aveyond I discovered a whole new dimneion to gaming. This is priceless and efforts and such a careful work is worth my money. I believe in gratification of solid, dedicated work, of work that is borne out of passion and genuine interest.

I bookmarked Amaranthia in every browser I use and thanks to this site I discovered other things that might be worth a try.

My only hope is that dollar's value will drop somewhat by the time Av 3 is released, it would help a little to equalize costs when converting from my own currency.

I definitely agree with Oracle. Portals like BFG help me to know about the games and their developers. I bought Aveyond from Yahoo, and it would be impossible for me to learn about Amaranth games if Aveyond wasn't available at Yahoo. If I like a game a lot, I visit the developers page to see new releases and buy their new games directly from them as a principle. As for Amanda's games: I'm ready to pay more than 20 bucks if that helps in any way. I still play Ahriman's Prophecy and enjoy it a lot, and I can't understand how come you don't charge anything for it. It is so much better than newly released games with polished graphics but has no depth and all you do is click around.

I love purchasing games from this site because you always have access to the new updates, the support this website provides is brilliant. Not only that this website has given me the opportunity to try out games by other developers. Before I discovered amaranthia I was getting fed up with big fish games because they have too many games of the same genre. For that reason I will always buy games from this site even if it is more expensive because you are guaranteed 3 things:

1.Better quality

2.Access to new updates

3.Better support

For these reasons I'm more than willing to pay the full price.

i prefer to buy my games here. it supports amanda more and i just hate waiting for the price drops from other websites. once a new game comes out, i need it asap, no matter hoe much more it costs :]

I do agree that buying directly from the developers is the way to go. I do, however, wish that amaranthia had some bundles to save a little money (e.g. buy Aveyond 1 & 2 together for $5 off or something like that). But maybe that's because I'm a cheapskate. At any rate, I'd rather my money went directly to the people making the game, so that they get all of it, instead of BFG or somebody taking a big chunk out of the profits.