Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
snowbunnies_x

i don't understand, what happened to it?

i was "absent" from amaranthia for about say, 1-and-half months (excluding the Snowball Obit) and suddenly my half-made game is GONE??

What happened? Am i banned or something (obviously not, how would i be writing this?) am i blacklisted, whatever?

This wouldn't concern me at all but what made me PISSED OFF is that nobody told me about it. no PM, no nothing. And i wrote ALOT OF INFORMATION ABOUT MY GAME IN THAT THREAD...

AND NOW ITS GONE?

that game is dedicated to my rabbit and its just deleted?? like that?

i checked everywhere (homemade games, spam haven, guild, clubhouse, whatever...), i've done my paRT...

I want to know WHO deleted it,

I want to know WHEN it was deleted,

I want to know WHY it was deleted.

i want an explanation NOW.

It's still here:

http://www.amaranthia.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1702

It just "vanished" from view because it has not had a reply in 100 days. See the dropdown menus at the bottom of each forum. Change "From last 100 days" to "From the beginning" and check page 2 of the Homemade Games (IN PROGRESS) forum. You'll then see your topic sitting there ;)

adding on to aisling's comment:

Please refrain from accusing us of doing anything with your topic before a full search. You could have also used the search button to search for your topic if you remember the title name and/or contents. Or could have searched through your post list to find it.

And you should know by now: We mods are not like that, to delete anything even if it follows the rules. We've only deleted topics that were either requested to be deleted, or broke the rules. Instead of panicking, you could simply have alerted one of us and calmly asked what happened to it.

Even though I agree with KTC, I also understand why you'd be freaked out. I mean, you dedicated that to a special thing in your life, and I'd be angry too. :D Let's just be glad it's still here, kay?

@poke: Her anger is unjustified and a product of overreacting before getting all the facts.

Frankly, I do not appreciate being accused for something we did not do. I thought we were doing a good enough job to maintain a fair hand over forum proceedings. Enough that people can trust we're not there to abuse our powers. Apparently, not so since we're instantly attacked (not questioned, attacked) when the accuser overreacted.

(and you got me talking in 'lawyer mode (aka good english mode)'. Oh fooey.)

Hey, Bunnies. This has happened to AM Wars: Devin's Saga too. I noticed this the other day, and DID run a full search on this site unable to even find a trace of it (mind you, I searched for about 45 mins before giving up and trying other sources). I tried names, ideas, "keywords", basically everything that had to do with that game with NO RESULTS, whatsoever. I had to google the game's name in order to find it. NOT STRAIGHTFORWARD, AT ALL.

I don't see where you mentioned that it was a mods fault, bunnies, but I can see why you might think it was tampered with when it shouldn't have been. This problem does in fact seem to be some kind of technicality with the site that probably admins should handle so it doesn't happen in the future. :roll:

I don't blame you for over-reacting. You put so much work into a game here on the site and the last thing you want is for it to be suddenly gone. I hope you do continue your game. No rush though. :blink: *hugs*

@dis:

are you referring to this?

http://www.amaranthia.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=58&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Interesting, i found that in roughly a minute after searching for: amaranthian, dis, from beginning, homemade games (PROGRESS).

And i did a search using 'snowballs', from the beginning, homemade games. which brought up snowcrest shortly after.

I do not see why it would take 45 minutes to do a search in homemade games [especially when there's only roughly ~60 in homemade games (in progress) and a page holds 20 games, so there's only ~3 pgs worth of homemade games in progress + a handy 'topic/view/topic starter sorter' function on the bottom. Unless we're referring to the homemade games (finished) in which case there's ~75 topics so ~4 pgs of games. Still a tiny amount compared to say AV1 hint and tips section with ~445 topics and ~23 pgs. But I digress.] unless you do not know how to use the search function or had bad keywords, in which case this is understandable.

I'm just stating my OWN experience, @ktc. I DID happen to do everything you listed before in the previous post because I know how to search on this site. I have used the search feature plenty of times to know how it works.

And I certainly don't understand why searching the whole title didn't yield any results then--even after taking every possible avenue, using the search feature. Most of that time was spent looking back at my own comment history--That takes A LOT of time, and was my last resort. No results using that method even though I had commented numerous times in that game thread.

However, I did have this happen about a month or so ago, so maybe something has changed with the search feature??

And if threads disappear after 100 days of inactivity, it might be a problem since it does seem to take most people more than 100 days to make a game. It doesn't make sense why they would disappear in the first place. :Tongue:

Anyway, bunnies is quite tech savvy (she did make a few games, after all), so maybe she most likely tried using the search. As she said, she "searched everywhere." But we don't know that yet since she hasn't gotten a chance to comment. And maybe she did and she didn't get results like i didn't then. *shrug*

But the game didn't disappear, which is the point of the matter. It's been there (along with your game), sitting on pg 2 (or pg 1 if you used topic title sorter + descending order +from the beginning.) of homemade games in progress. I'm going to stress this part since it doesn't seem to be computing. The game topic did not magically disappear into an unknown locker of doom and all of a sudden was released by the great chat monster. It has been there ever since Snowbunny posted it and has remained in homemade games.

As for the 100 days thing: that functionality is common to many other forums. It's not a sudden new thing that popped up a week ago, but has been on this form of the forum since it started. It doesn't make topics disappear. It just 'files them away' probably to reduce necroposting. But I repeat, it doesn't make topics disappear into cyber prison never to see the artificial light of AM background sun.

As for the search function, perhaps it has been updated since than since I just did it a few minutes ago with no trouble.

(oh boy. bad metaphors. Organic chemistry is getting to me)

@ktc: I DID NOT MENTION THE MODS. did i blame them? careful, or i'll call you guys "Perasan" as what we call here, as in "you think the world revolves around you".

@all: I did used the search engine here for your information as what Dis said, typed the game's FULL NAME, no results. you can ask Kinnison. he's my witness for he tried it as well.

i wouldn't accuse anyone of anything until i got my facts straight. i seriously searched everywhere, ok?

I cried then stopped, logged on and went to yahoo, typed out the same game name and found it. but not on amaranthia itself. isn't that a teensy weird? only after this complaint did i find it again on the search engine.

i also went thru my own comment history and without result again. i generally post in HMGames (In progress), VS, and sometimes Spam Haven. others are sometimes. so it should be there... right? after all, mjority of my posts are of my game.

reminder, i'm not firing at the mods.

End note: on march 15-16 my game was still here.

@snow:

"I want to know WHO deleted it,

I want to know WHY it was deleted."

^ now lets think about these statements. The only one who can delete topics are mods and admins. So logically, the only ones who could answer to these demands are mods and admins. In conclusion, you are blaming/accusing mods/admins for the 'disappearance' of your topic.

Now, onto the topic itself: no one has posted since 12/12. currently, it is 4/18. That's roughly 127 days has passed since the last post. It's definitely past 100 days regardless of timezones.

on march 15-16, that was only ~93-94 days, hence why it was still there.

The math works out for why it was filed away under 'past 100 days'.

As for the search: I honestly do not see why it would be so troublesome unless you did not click the 'from the beginning' button. In which case, yes: nothing would show up.

Unless the search function has the attention span of the chat monster (which can be likely since the site is still a work in progress), it should have worked.

Regardless, the old 'search pages' technique worked even if the search function didn't (one that is quite easy to do in homegame simply due to the small amount of pgs present). It is on pg2 of homemade games, or pg 1/3 depending on the descending/ascending order + topic title and since beginning.

*sigh* This is why I always use the topic tags.

Don't get too offended, the rant was aimed indirectly, and therefore nobody knows what. The only thing I can say here is too look carefully, and Patience is always a virtue. I was also surprised when the same thing happened in the Newspaper HQ, but I remembered the third drop down menu like what Aisling said.

Also, as far as I know, no mod or admin would delete it unless its completely irrelevant. A simple explanation like that would work pretty well. If you need help, just a PM away to the mods/admins.

@snow: I think the reason why some thought that you are attacking the mods because they are the only ones usually around to delete a thread.

snowbunnies_x said:

I want to know WHO deleted it,

I want to know WHY it was deleted.

i want an explanation NOW.

...and that is basically it.

Overall, calm down guys. You all make me worry. :(

edit: sorry KTC, I was typing when you were.

@ktc:

quote: I honestly do not see why it would be so troublesome unless you did not click the 'from the beginning' button. In which case, yes: nothing would show up.

I DID DO IT!

What do you think?

And as for the 3 verses, it was directed to all. All who knows what happened, when it happened, how it happened, whatever, yeah, telling them to give me a PM about it. that's all. i'm sorry it made you think it was directed to mods or whatever. guess i'm already blacklisted because of this and about to get kicked out, huh?

@stardale: i searched this entire site for about 57 minutes. i started searching at around 8:45PM (my time) until 9:58 PM. i did keep that phrase of patience in my mind while searching. one hour? i am human too. =)

Many users do not realise that all default forum view and default searches only look for posts within the last 100 days. You need to go into Advanced Search and change the "Since" section. This is not the first time users have asked about so-called "missing" topics, but it is the first time a user has asked on the forum, and in more than bewildered tones. Let us all take this as a lesson and learn from it.

@ktc: "trouble computing"? What's that supposed to mean? I know it didn't just "disappear," but it wasn't clear what exactly had or has happened either. I understood you perfectly well throughout this discussion.

And overall, none of this was necessary. Bunnies concerns were perfectly valid. We really don't know what happened, and not all forums and threads here seem to apply to that 100 day filing rule. So again, this might be some kind of glitch that needs to be dealt with soon.

I consider it a GOOD thing that she spoke up about it (since it feels like you can't really state what's on your mind anymore around here; I wasn't about do comment in the open about my concerns to get this kind of treatment myself).

I remember now that this happened on old Am some time back, and I think it was Taz who fixed it. Then, somehow that just automatically started happening in the guild forum if memory serves right. But if that can be reversed so it won't happen, I think we'll have some happy members again. ^^

@stardale: I am acting as my mostly logical scatterbrain self with some mango ice cream to boot. Aka, this is a random response lol.

@snowball: blacklisted? why? Have you broken any rules? No? than you're not on it. And if you were kicked out, you wouldn't be able to post here still so obviously you're not banned. Also, as far as I can tell, mods do not have a secret list of people to pick on. We have far better things to do with our time, such as moving topics to their correct places, deleting spam, and all the fun paperwork concerning any sudden flamer attacks.

@aisling: kk. *salutes*

Okay, stop the fight. Aren't MODs supposed to be kindly explain to others how the forum works? -_-

What's with the attacks? I mean, there's nothing wrong for someone to be desperate suddenly and ask questions like that. We're all desperate in some point of our lives anyway.

If the MODs have something better to spend their time on, they wouldn't have keep on hurting someone over and over in the same topic.

Since its already solve, just lock this topic I don't wanna see anyone hurting the forum's reputation.

I bet Amanda doesn't want this to happen.

@dis: I said 'trouble computing' because you keep saying that the topics disappeared. The topics did not disappear, they've been there since whenever they were posted. To say they've simply disappeared into thin air is incorrect.

I was also under the impression that both you and snow did not know how to use the search function as that's usually the reason to 90% of "what the heck happened to ________?!" questions, an erroneous assumption on my part and one I apologize for.

As for openminded-ness: neutral question begets neutral response. Heated question gets heated response. I misunderstood snowbunny due to the way she posted and understood it as an accusation.

If this is a technical issue, it should be brought up in site issues/bugs since it's possible that the chat monster has infected the search bar.

@snow: neutral question gets a neutral response. I apologize for the misunderstanding on my part as I understood your post as an accusation and responded in kind.

@kins/aisling/other mods/admins/forum members/readers: I apologize for dragging this out longer than it should have lasted.

Just to make it a bit more clear: by "disappeared" I mean they have disappeared. They may exist in the nether somewhere, but they are no longer visible to the rest of the forum. By "disappear" people don't seem to know where exactly in the database it has gone to, why exactly they've been hidden in the first place (we don't really know yet if there is really a 100 day filing system on this site--I been around a while now and this is the first time I'm hearing of such).

Bottom-line they are out of view--period. Call them "missing" "hidden" "disappeared" etc., something seems amiss.

And for the most part they aren't in the same common space as the rest of the forum, and have proven to be difficult to search (probably not for you, but it has been for others). I'm not really sure if you can bring them out of this "void", but let's just wait and see if something can be done about this, okay??

Sorry, too, that this has kept going. I just didn't like seeing so many assumptions made towards a friend.

Searching for a whole topic title is usually not a good idea on forums. Using one or two keywords is more likely to give the results you're after.

This is not the first time people's threads have "gone missing" and they have jumped to conclusions similar to today. In most cases the answer was the same - if topics don't have new posts within the last 100 days they are not shown. It's not that they're being hidden away for any reason other than to reduce the number of pages thrown at the viewer. It's very easy to tell it if you want to go back further - the creators of the forum software probably assumed 3 months is a safe amount for most topics.

Be assured, the mods and admins here (who are the only ones who CAN delete topics) do not delete or move them without reason. If your thread is in the right place and does not break any forum rules, you have no reason to be concerned that it would be moved or deleted. If you can't find it despite your searching, best just to PM one of them and ask for some help.

Dis, I'm curious about your comment that some areas of the forums here behave differently - do you mean some have 100 days and some have from the beginning? Can you point me towards them please - I'll take a look and see if there's anything different in their setup.

... actually I just checked them all (all the ones from the main forum page) and they all default to 100 days. It may be, as you say, an issue that Taz fixed, but it LOOKS like they're all consistent now. Please let me know if there are any that are not following the pattern.

I can see where everyone is coming from here, and I think everyone has over-reacted.

Yes, KTC's response was a little harsh, but that first post was a little accusing towards the mods/admins. We're the only ones with the power to move/delete things, so when you post, in caps, demanding to know who moved/deleted your topic and why, who else could it be directed at other than us?

Yes, KTC should've calmly reminded everyone that it was probably just the 100 day filter that made your topic disappear from the list. (Not disappear from the forum; disappear from the list.)

This 100 day filter has been in place from the start. Even if you didn't notice it in the advance search area, it is right here on every forum page:

forumdate.png

I think everyone just went a little overboard here. No one is in trouble, no one is banned. Seriously, what a silly thing to possibly get in trouble for. Everyone take a breather (mods included); the topics are there.

Let's just remember the 100 day filter when we do our searches from now on.

And since this is such a minor misunderstanding, let's stop spewing the hate over on Facebook, as well. Please? You know who you are.

Thank you.

I'm saddened to see a 'fight' here, and hope everyone will calm down and realize it isn't the end of life or even the end of fun.

Just a quick addition to the search explanation:

The search feature doesn't recognize nor accept words of less than 4 characters. If one lists keywords including one of 3 or less letters/numbers, you will give no results. (Or at least it used to be that way and I'm assuming it still is.)

That's why it is often best to search for only one or two or three words (and less words results in a faster search). :)

Yep, lets end this fight. It looks like it is a misunderstanding. I've added the 100 day fix to my list of things to do. As soon as AV3 is out, I'll have some time to take care of this problem.

Now everyone, be nice to each other. :)