Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mopiece

Swine Flu

@Esturia

1)No. Regular Flu doesn't change to a completely different strand like this.

2)I never said everyone was going to die from the Swine Flu. Not all the Native Americans died, but it still did serious damage. And Swine Flu could do serious damage to our population because we haven't been exposed to it.

3)Doesn't look like it.

4)Yes, I do understand it. And yes, Swine Flu is more deadly than Regular Flu. Your chances from dying from Swine Flu is a lot higher than regular Flu.

5)The outbreak in 1918. That killed hundred of thousands of people before. And no we haven't been exposed to Swine Flu before. The outbreak of 1918, was not the SAME strand as this strand.

She's referring to the 1918 influenza pandemic, which also happened to be H1N1. There were three waves of outbreaks. The first one in the spring was more like a typical flu epidemic while the second wave in the fall was much deadlier.

The current H1N1 strain is not identical to the previous one, so no we have not been exposed to this specific strain before.

And yes, influenza outbreaks can and do 'die down' during the summer months and spread much easier in the fall and winter months. This does not mean they disappear all together. The seasonal nature of flu outbreaks is well known and documented.

Edit: @Mopiece: I didn't see your post before I posted mine so I'm repeating a lot of what you said.

@ Mopiece

1.You said that we haven't been exposed to any strands like this one. Now you said that regular flu is unlike swine flu because swine flu 'changes to a completely different strand.' I'm rather confused as to what point you are trying to make.

2. Neither did I. I was simply trying to point out your comparison of swine flu to smallpox. smallpox was far, far more deadly than swine flu. I realize that were entire population to contract swine flu en masse, there would be lots of casualties. however, that's rather unlikely to happen as swine flu is not very contagious, even though our bodies have not been exposed to it before.

3. I say we eliminate number 3 in our debate. It's getting rather petty, yes?

4. That is true. however, your chances of actually contracting swine flu are slim at best.

5. Yes, I realize the two strands are not identical. However, assuming they have some basic similarities, wouldn't we be able to predict the outcome of our current H1N1 outbreak? I realize that the 1918 one killed massive amount of people, but weren't the initial casualty numbers rather indicative of that?

@Esturia

1)I said the Swine Flu isn't the same strand as the regular Flu. And that yes the regular Flu strand does change, but not that drastically that our bodies can't defend against it.

2)And yes, Swine Flu is actually contagious.

3)Fine.

4)Not really. Your chances are not that slime. They are higher than you think.

5)The initial amount of casualties don't always indicate how many people will ultimately die because of the virus.

@ Mopiece

1. Makes sense.

2. I should have been more specific. I meant chances of contracting swine flu versus chances of contracting regular flu.

3. I suppose (5.) is accurate. But isn't the rate of infection at least some indicator?

O_o When did this become a debate? Lol

Well, I've heard that in my school district there were 5 confirmed cases of the swine flu, yet they kept the school open. -_-" Yeah, that's real smart.

@UnicornLady: Wow. Those statistics are frightening to me. I should really check on Kansas' statistics now. I know the point wasn't to be scared, but it's human nature.

Okay. First of all, stop with the numbers 1, 2 and so on, so forth. Agree with PokeGal here. This is becoming a debate....I'm not taking sides....yet.:)

@twiceth: " Perhaps, by that time, our scientists will go for the things which cannot affect the genes and proteins of bacteria/virus which, I believe, causes their nature to change and evolve each time they're exposed to the chemicals, etc., until they're fully resistant to it and start producing new proteins that are many times stronger.....haaay! I don't even think that the scientists will do that as it will also bring us back to the old days (not literally).... But...

"

^ I can't make heads or tails of what you're saying here.

Also, if the topic drifts into a debate: let it. Only when it gets heated should one pull out the chill pills.

a debate sounds nice to watch. although i dont know what either of their points are they are saying alot of smart things, im learning..:D and number three in there cracked me up :lol:

@KTC: The facts about re-stimulation of virus growth and evolution. Never mind what I said on my other comment. It depends if you understood it or not. Besides, I shouldn't have typed it. My friend saw this topic and forced me to go through it. I'm not typing another set of explanations because I'm sleepy already.

About the blooming debate here: I'm just saying, not to get unto the other's nerves. I'm a peaceful person, ya know. Just go on with the debate persona, people! I want to see which side wins.:P Tell me if I don't see it.:lol:

If anyone has been paying attention to the H1N1 outbreak recently, the WHO is close to declaring a pandemic, though some would say it's already there. They're meeting tomorrow to discuss it.

For those who think the number of cases are too low to be considered a pandemic, keep in mind these are only tested and confirmed cases. Not all cases will be tested, the estimated number of cases is much higher than the confirmed case, that's how disease surveillance works. Some places that aren't even bothering to test anymore despite there being cases. Also, a pandemic doesn't have to do with the severity of the disease just how wide spread it is.

I do know some people who have gotten sick from it in the past month, luckily I haven't gotten it. I really hate having the flu.

mmm... that's scary. Sadly, not much one can do about it at the civilian level besides doing the safety stuff ie washing hands, be clean, etc.

Didn't the WHO say that a vaccine would be out or close to being out in October?

I've been watching the news about Swine Flu, but I didn't catch that Mizzou. Hopefully governments are doing a good job with containing it.

D: I heard from the news that there might be a few cases in the Philippines. Luckily I wasn't quarantined when I came back.

I hope my school changes the faucets and lets them work again. Last year they always turned off the water except for one sink on the bottom floor (my classroom is on the third floor O_O).

Well the flu is communicable, right? Through contact and stuff. So people wash their hands to get rid of any possible agents of the disease :3

Water and soap is excellent, but the school could have drainage problems or difficulties in getting enough water (if all the students wash hands several times a day, that's a LOT of water). Alternatively, I don't know if those places could afford to provide a supply of waterless hand sanitizer - I keep some in my purse for trips to the grocery, etc.

I know when SARS was in Ontario, Canada, there was hand sanitizer everywhere to try to keep people from passing germs by their hands.

Hmmm... I thought that the swine flu was pretty much done with. I hadn't heard anything about it for like a month, and now suddenly the WHO is raising the alert to a pandemic. That's surprising to me. Oh well. It hasn't reached here yet, so I'm happy. =)

@iPink: No, it didn't go any. It's still around and spreading very well. The media just wasn't covering it as much as they used to, go figure... There's still been plenty of information about it, you just had to know where to look. Also, rising the alert was not sudden. They've been talking about it for a long time.

@puppis: I understand now, it just didn't makes right away. It seemed like a random comment to me.

Well go figure. I had no idea. I guess I have cause to be somewhat worried again... =( But the world will be fine if we just take some small precautions. Perhaps the world will be a better place for it.

@Qwillie: Mm.. Well I do suspect that there could be some problems in public schools if they're not supported well by the government, but the private schools, like the one I go to, charge a lot. I can't be sure whether they'll still change the faucets, so I'll be sure to bring a bottle of alcohol or hand sanitizer xD

iPink wrote:

Hmmm... I thought that the swine flu was pretty much done with. I hadn't heard anything about it for like a month...

Hooray for the media. They stick with the hot news story for about a week and then move on to the next one, even if the first news story hasn't gone away.

A lot of media outlets don't really care about the news. They just care about which news will get them the biggest ratings/customers.

lol Argoyle...

Anyway, H1N1 by itself is not too bad... but what we are concerned about is when it "combines" with the bird flu...

Swine flu + Bird flu = Terrible off-springs