Aveyond Studios Community
gabriela

Lars's Diary (updated 24 June 2011)

eh...i guess i won't start with the other story anytime soon...all i really needed was a total break from stories! :P

@everyone: thank you for waiting...!

Day 46

Today we left Veldarah, and left for Halloween Hills. Stopping by the tavern to get some grub, a man told us to be wary of the vampires in Halloween Hills and don’t forget to bring a garlic necklace. Then there was the guy who sold us a garlic necklace for some gold. He wanted to sell us some stakes but we didn’t buy any, because the bag was too full of mana replacements.

I know we could have brought Vohu Manah to the Sun Shrine, but he didn’t raise the subject, and neither did anyone else. So I didn’t suggest that we should take him there already. I think that if he leaves us we will miss him; I also think that he finds the Sun Shrine boring so he’s better off traveling with us. Besides, he always plays his flute, and plays it well wherever we go, and after traveling in silence (especially if the women don’t like to talk; that’s silence) it’s nice to listen to some good music. When we entered Halloween Hills I knew that Vohu Manah’s music would break the tension and aura of fear of the unknown (and the dark, maybe) we would feel as we explored the lonely place.

There were bats everywhere, and slime thingys, which cursed us if we weren’t careful. Soon enough we were all cursed and so we decided to steer clear of the nuisances.

I noticed some graveyards and places which look like they’ve been dug up and wondered what they could be hiding. I want a shovel. Because if the women see those spots and the thought of treasure or discovery enters their minds, and they have no shovel, imagine the work I’d have to do with my own bare hands and fingernails, and perhaps, if I’m lucky, a stick.

Then we wandered off to a place which had a…Mule Express at the side? The driver said he could take us to New Witchwood, but we decided to take a look at the place we stumbled upon first. It was a dark place, with vampires as the guy in the tavern told us, and they didn’t dare attack our group because of the garlic necklace that I was wearing, unwillingly, around my neck. None of the women agreed to wear it, and Talia told me that Vohu Manah’s robe was too valuable to smell like garlic. The women and the druid stayed close to me. Rhen took hold of my hand, Elini squeezed my arm, Talia held me by the shoulder, and Vohu Manah held on to my robe at the back. It was in this position that we went around the town. Awkward, I know, and I felt what might be embarrassment, the blood rushing to my face.

So we went around, just talking to the vamps in the village, most of which wanted to eat us. They would have if not for the garlic necklace. There was a cathedral nearby, where Vohu Manah said Rashnu might be in. Upon entering the cathedral, and the druid was not to be found, we entered another door, but before that I warned Rhen:

“Don’t expect that he’s still got his soul. Ahriman must be on his guard right now that he knows Nanghaithya’s dead. He can’t afford to waste time or make mistakes. So don’t cry if Rashnu’s turned to stone, okay?”

“Okay,” she replied.

When we entered, there was Rashnu, a statue, just like when we found Vohu Manah. Vohu Manah sighed in disappointment, and Rhen whispered to me:

“Lars, you can let go of me now. There are no vampires in this room anyway. And your grip is tight. You’re leaving a red mark on my hand.”

At that moment I realized that I had been squeezing Rhen’s hand since we went to Ghed’ahre, that I never let go, and that the others had detached (yes, that’s the word for the situation) moments ago. I felt serious embarrassment and could only mumble, “Sorry.” The blood rushed to my head as it does whenever I get embarrassment, and worried if Talia and the others saw or heard. Thankfully, if any of them noticed, they did not show it. Then my hand became cold; like it was accustomed to the warmth of the hand which it was, suddenly, no longer holding.

“I suppose we have to go look for the daeva with Rashnu’s soul,” I said.

“Yeah. I don’t think Ahriman will go easy on us. How many druids do we need to bring back to the Sun Shrine? I think we’ll have to battle the same number of daevas. Then the master demon, Ahriman. After that, I don’t know what happens,” Rhen replied glumly.

But we didn’t know how to reach the daeva that took Rashnu’s soul, and we were still cursed, with no remedy for it. So Vohu Manah came up with the idea to travel to New Witchwood by Mule Express.

New Witchwood was…weird. They hate beauty and love ugliness; they like naughty children and treat the nice ones like outcasts. Rhen said (not seriously, thank the druids) that I could fit in well in New Witchwood if I was ugly. Well, I hope she’s serious. Half of it, at any rate. If she is, she means that I’m rotten to the core but that I don’t look bad. If she’s not, she means the opposite. It’s hard to pick from those two interpretations.

We bought some roots that remove curses in a shop there, and I saw some spell scrolls, which I’m thinking of buying. Not very soon, though. Maybe before we go take on the daeva with Rashnu’s soul.

We met a witch named Gretchen, very pretty, by the way, who wanted to become ugly. Yes, she was cursed by a jealous witch, who made her beautiful. She asked us to find a rare root (I’m pretty sure that it’s not the kind that we bought) that would make her ugly again. She was the only witch with a shovel there, and I told Rhen about the digging spots and she was all for the quest in case Gretchen gave us the shovel for doing it. We’re at the tavern in the Wildwoods now, and we’ll look for that root tomorrow, because we’re tired and we wanted to get out of Halloween Hills before sundown. All of us want a glimpse of the sun for a while before it goes down. Spending most of the day in darkness, and then the night afterwards; it’s not very fun, you know.

Nice chapter. I thought it was funny that Lars was trying to figure out what Rhen meant when she said he could fit in New Witchwood. It made me laugh.

this part is really romantic:

“Lars, you can let go of me now. There are no vampires in this room anyway. And your grip is tight. You’re leaving a red mark on my hand.”

At that moment I realized that I had been squeezing Rhen’s hand since we went to Ghed’ahre, that I never let go, and that the others had detached (yes, that’s the word for the situation) moments ago. I felt serious embarrassment and could only mumble, “Sorry.” The blood rushed to my head as it does whenever I get embarrassment, and worried if Talia and the others saw or heard. Thankfully, if any of them noticed, they did not show it. Then my hand became cold; like it was accustomed to the warmth of the hand which it was, suddenly, no longer holding.

Poor Lars... he's getting himself so flustered XD

And I agree with eanLUViya! That part was really cute~ Adding the last part about his hand growing cold without her warmth was a really nice touch.

Looking forward to further updates~