Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Coren

People who swear

i've heard swearing my whole life. living in the city, i would always hear people cursing around me. my parents didn't let me curse when i was young, but now that i'm 16 they let me speak how i want to, and i swear a lot. i guess it's a bad habit, but it's not like i don't know when to turn it off. when i'm with my friends i curse and say more vulgar things, but i know not to speak that way at galas or events with my family.

i think that people do become very desensitized to cursing. when i was a kid and i heard a "bad word" it was a hugee deal. now, i say those words daily

it's nice that people don't curse here, but i really wouldn't mind if people did either

^ case in point. lots of people just don't care about swearing anymore. it's part of the vernacular. here, it's nice to get away from all that, and respect the boundaries of conversation in polite company.

Honestly, I have one solid opinion about swearing.

They're words.

I've never, in my whole life, gotten the big deal. I 've been exposed to those words all my life. Even when I first started hearing them, I never made a big deal.

And I do not get this at all. I do believe that there is a thing as being oversensitive. One of my old friends was talking to me once, and a minor swear word slipped out of my mouth. Next thing I new, she was screaming in my ear that I was going to hell. Again, keep in mind that I said old friend.

Also, there are so many other things that people can, and should worry about. How about disease? Starving kids? War? Should I continue?

@ Pokegal

you are very astute to make that connection. I didn't until junior year of high school. however, despite the fact that words are, in fact, simply words, there are those in society who will be oversensitive and make a big deal. In respect to those people, it is best to keep one's conversation 'clean' at all times.

I understand the whole respect thing. I, however, am perhaps, "socially deprived". I can't make small talk, which doesn't help you get new friends when you're moving from school to school. XD

"And I do not get this at all. I do believe that there is a thing as being oversensitive. One of my old friends was talking to me once, and a minor swear word slipped out of my mouth. Next thing I new, she was screaming in my ear that I was going to hell. Again, keep in mind that I said old friend. "

^rofl, I rest my case on abnormal sensitivity.

as for them being words, that's what I've been arguing pretty much the whole time so woot XD I mean, technically words are nothing more than sounds we generate through our vocal chords. They only make sense to other humans who learned what those grunts and groans mean.

as for dealing with overly sensitive people: instead of pandering to their wishes, you could just avoid them lol. As I said earlier, people can shout at me, but I am under no obligation to actually listen or yield to their demands. If they won't do me the courtesy of actually listening before condemning me, why should I listen to their whining? Instead of using a lot of energy trying to interpret their whining, I can simply use that energy to use a much more energy efficient method called 'deaf ear' or walk away. lol

Exactly KTC

I don't understand what's the problem if someone swears, I mean let them swear, what will be the problem with us. Just hear it and take it out from ur 2nd ear. its not a big deal to swear, i've seen many many people doing so!

@Ujwal08

Because some people believe their way life is how everyone should live. And if they thinking swearing is bad and shouldn't be done, the same goes for everyone else. The best way to deal with these people is to walk away from them.

I don't swear and I sincerely hope I avoid doing so in the future.

I think since swearing is so common now, we cannot possibly go around correcting everyone but we *can* correct ourselvesif we are convinced that swear words are not just something to be used in casual talk. This does *not* mean that we should be over sensitive about other people saying this. Conviction also matters. We cannot change others much so we can avoid the words they say without conviction I suppose.

Words are not just senseless baseless letters joined together. They have meaning. When we say something it is commonly accepted that we know the meaning of the words.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/word

We can't council every person. We can only protect ourselves.

(I have difficulty expressing myself, so if is difficult to understand what I am trying to say, then I'm soory :( )

@eve: but why should I have to change how I speak if I'm just fine with my language hmm?

Again, what makes swear words any different from other words? They are essentially just words with nasty reputations attached by some humans.

Also, I disagree that about words themselves being special. technically any language is just uniform scribble and chicken scratch. By themselves, they do not mean anything cuz words are just sounds we've come to associate with different things. In other words, words are inherently meaningless. They are like an empty glass. It's what humans attach to them which gives them meaning only to other humans who also give them the same attachment.

For example, God to others is literally the big dude in the sky who controls all. Big importance here. (you should not take the lord's name in vain and all that)

God to me is just another word to say figment of the human imagination used to first explain how and why world works the way it does. A very creative way to explain how the world works [reading myths = yayz] but ultimately still a figment of imagination.

Or a less serious example:

The words sparkly and dazzling have been ruined for me after Twilight.

I can no longer use them seriously anymore since they keep bringing up the twilight movie where I was struggling not to laugh due to fangirls' lynching fear.

To other ppl though, they still simply just mean sparkly and dazzling.

@KTC: I think the only reason I can furnish for avoidind swear words yourself is your morals. Though this too depends on the principles by which you are guiding yourself.

QUOTE: "For example, God to others is literally the big dude in the sky who controls all. Big importance here. (you should not take the lord's name in vain and all that)

God to me is just another word to say figment of the human imagination used to first explain how and why world works the way it does. A very creative way to explain how the world works [reading myths = yayz] but ultimately still a figment of imagination. "

I am glad you specified the explanation to you yourself KTC otherwise I suppose I would start giving you proofs and *that* would be a very heated discussion for something that is (oops) going off topic.

I'm sorry if I offended you Mopiece.

I said that it depends on the morals which are guiding *you*.

Like I believe that even saying a swear word without realising or saying it with conviction is not good, and should tried to be avoided.

But some believe said without meaning to, without meaning to insult, then empty it out of your ears.

Heck, my own brother swears on the phone to all his friends and I was at first left wondering how do his friends bear him. It was then that I realised they are the followere of the "second type of moral " .

@Eveleny

You missed my point. You're bringing morals into with swear words. As if saying people who swear don't have morals, or morals like yours. This is simply not true. Just because someone swears doesn't mean they have no morals.

@eve: what do morals have to do with anything? Morals are extremely subjective varying from person to person. They are not and have never been constant nor applicable to everyone.

As for my word usage on god, you do realize that I am not who think this way yes?

@MoPiece and KTC : Morals *are* extremely subjective and *that* is why I said it depends on the principles which guide *you*. That is also why I said that we can't argue with every person and correct them. I cannot say whether some morals are wrong or right or whether a person has them or not.

@MoPiece: I am saying that perhaps a person who swears does not have morals like mine. If he / she did then they would not use swear words. This does *not* mean they don't have morals.

@KTC: Morals have to do with everything. My actions, the words I use, everything depends upon my principles.

Like person X could talk to elders rudely, not caring about consequences . X could break all rules made on this site and not care or atleats feel guilty. This depends on Person X's principles.

Person Y always thinks before speaking, tries to mind his/her language in front of elders. Y could keep apologising for the rest of her/his life and still feel guilty.

(the examples I gave are extreme. First person is too rough and second person should try to move ahead)

So this depends totally on one's principles.

@Mopiece again: I don't like it if someone uses swear words. But even I move past. Like, who cares, I can't keep telling them to stop every time we meet.

But I *can* correct myself and I prefer not to use swear words myself.

@Eveleny

You're still missing the point. Morals depend on the person. Of course not everyone is going to have the same morals as you. Just like not everyone is going to believe in the same thing.

You think swear words are bad and are against your morals. But other people don't think that way. Other people, like me, think swear words are just words and nothing more. And that they have nothing do to with morals or anything else of the person.

@eve: we're discussing swearwords and I fail to see how morals such as being against murder and such has to do with language. Morals are morals. But we're talking about swearwords which are words, not the next heist of the century. Words by their very nature are inherently meaningless.

You're saying that "they're just words" but why do most schools ban swear words?

"They're just words", right? "Why do we need to change our way of saying just because people are being sensitive?"

I think it's not the issue of people being "sensitive" (fine maybe SOME people are), but I think it's about who you're talking to and where you're talking. Once my teacher said he was talking to a construction worker, that worker was very polite to him and when my teacher left, that worker turned to his friend and speak with "colorful" words. :) He knew that he was a teacher so he was acting that way towards him.