Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Coren

People who swear

Amaranthia is the nicest forum that I've seen, and naturally nobody ever swears or uses the least derogatory word on any fellow Amaranthian. However, other forums are not the same - people are naturally older than us there, and people swear like their lives depended on it. What do you feel about that? Will you be very much insulted or hurt? If you are exposed to them very frequently, will you tend to be more immune to those swear words or even use them on others in return?

I do think people get desensitized to swearing. It's almost as if they don't really hear it any more - sort of a background kind of thing. It gets to be a very bad habit.

I remember when I first went to college, my roommate used swear words much more than I was used to and when I came home for winter break - I was out to dinner with my parents. I accidentally tipped over my water glass and I was swearing without even thinking about it. As soon as I heard myself doing this - I said to myself I'm never doing that again!

Swearing is very disrespectful and rude (not to mention uninventive), so I'm happy to come to a site without that sort of culture.

Well i don't remember whether i ever swear on something,

because i never did!

Okay but i do some promises and not for unnecessary reasons though.!

Well they say Swearing is a way of speaking that some people use to express their feelings of anger, annoyance, and frustration or when they want to hurt someone else's feelings. Sometimes people swear because they think it is smart or funny.

Swear words can be: (found in dic!)

slang words used to describe something a person is too embarrassed to talk about

racist or sexist words used to hurt someone's feelings

words used to criticise or put someone down

words that are blasphemous which means words that are about someone's god or religion being used as swear words.

Even the US presidents swear when they take the oath of office of the president:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

But it couldn't be same as the peoples swearing int the web!

@kirroha: the forum rules state that swearing is not allowed. Hence many of us are filtering our words. ;)

For example, this isn't how I talk in real life. I'm swear a lot in real life. More often than not I struggle NOT to swear in front of my parents cuz swear words are part of my vocabulary. It has nothing to do with pride or whatever. Its just part of my vocab that I use. My parents use to grill me on swear word usage, but they've mostly given up now lol. It all depends on context. Usually, swear words are used as an expression of anger, grief, and sometimes regular words just don't cut it. I want something stronger to express my anger.

For example:

"I am angry!!!" < this is boring, no punch. No outlet.

Add a swear word of the short variety, and than we get a kick.

I did a research report on swear words and the tendency of swearwords is that at first they are very offensive. But as people use them more and more, they get diluted. A good example is gone with the wind with one tiny little swear word. Nowadays, this swearword doesn't even make people flinch. In gone with the wind days: it made ppl uproar.

I have other examples, but I won't repeat them since they are R rated. XD

As for other ppl swearing: meh, i don't care. As long as they are not trying to insult or aggravate me we're good.

Pretty much everyone I know swears, as well as I do. It doesn't bother me at all. They're just words. And to me, if you get offended by a bunch of words, you're a little too sensitive.

I'm with KTC - a lot of us, probably, filter our posts so they don't contain swear words. I'm one of those people who do xD

I don't swear a lot, but I do when I need to emphasize anger, frustration, etc. When I hear people swear, it doesn't bother me much unless it's particularly derogatory or if they swear too much (I've honestly overheard conversations where every other word was some variation of the F-word and it was incredibly tiring to figure out what they were trying to say between all the swear words). I usually end up ignoring swear words unless it's very offensive. I suppose going through high school desensitized me o_O;;

Random thought: Supposedly, my late maternal grandfather never sword in his 90-year lifetime. If he was very angry, he'd shout, "Portland, Oregon!" LOL

@tini: though there is such a thing as being too sensitive. One tiny harmless joke, and all of a sudden you're the bad guy, the devil on earth, the harbringer of destruction.

Yeesh man. Not cool. (fortunately, I only met one person like that. It was a very stilted convo since I didn't know what set the person off. Perhaps it would be an offhand comment on blue being an awesome color, or maybe a comment about cheetahs rocking. Insecurities much?)

@aeternus: wow, I wonder how portland, oregon feels to be used as a swear word. XD

KTC: That's why I said 'sometimes'. :)

I definitely understand what you mean. Some people are way too easy to offend, in many ways ... not just by someone swearing. I've been on the receiving end of a person going ballistic over absolutely nothing here. :D

Well, in my opinion, swearing is like throwing dirt on the floor.

Some people just like to live in a dirty house, others like to live in a clean house.

In real life I swear to myself from time to time, mostly when I am angry about things.

But I try to not swear other people, because I know its very insulting when someone swears you or mocks you.

Maybe some people don't care when their friends mock them, but if a stranger would mock them or swear them, I am sure they will get offended or at least get angry. Even those with the thickest skin.

@sargon: though you're assuming that ppl are only swearing to be insulting to others. many of us mostly swear not to insult ppl, but as a burst of anger/frustration/etc.

Me? I never swear to people. I was raised in a family where it's considered rude. Now, when I'm alone, that's a different story. XD I'm not saying I'm swearing every other word when I'm alone, but it's maybe one swear word every 7-8 sentences. That's like being a saint compared to my parents when they're driving. XD

All of my classmates swear. I don't care if they say it's "normal" since my countrymen are naturally polite and respectful. I don't do it myself, at all! Now, as it happens, one of my friends talked to our teacher (we were given relaxation time). When the teacher asked why they keep on talking in such an impolite manner (the way one talks to somebody his/her own age), she said that "everybody does it, and it's completely normal", which made me go "oh, so it IS normal, hunh!?". As if! Swearing, whether or not meant to insult someone or whatever, is a means of dirtying the palms and the name of God. No offense...just something I've been trying to comprehend. I'm accustomed to hearing those words, but I don't think swearing is worth it.

KTC, I didn't assume you swear other people, you made that logical relation yourself, not me.

I said that I swear to myself as well. But even swear to yourself is likt throwing dirt on the floor.

I believe that a better person don't need to swear at all, but life is difficult and we have our share of problems. So we swear to ourselves form time to time.

I don't believe swearing comes from something positive.

You might not care about it, but I believe swearing comes from something negative.

@Sargon: I liked your way of putting it!! It's called "foul" language for a reason!

If something makes me really upset, I may go somewhere alone to vent and might use a few choice words. I think it's rude to swear at someone, and since I don't like people being rude to me, I try not to be rude to others. But I also think it's rude to swear in front of others because you don't know who might be offended by it. If you are with your friends or family & know that they don't care, then go ahead. But in public, it's rude. In school, it's rude. In most places of business it's considered unprofessional. People who swear every other word sound ignorant, in my opinion.

When I am around people who are swearing, I usually just try to move away so I can't hear them. I don't try to say anything to them. But if we all cared a little more about the feelings of others - instead of dismissing them as overly sensitve, and less about ourselves - and being able to do whatever we want, everybody would probably get along much better with each other.

Hmm...it is better to just say nothing to people who swear if one is the exact kind of person who goes on a rampage just because of using swear words. I'm not saying that swearing is evil though. I just meant that it's some kind of bad habit people have grown fond of, ok? Anybody, please don't flame or hate me for my previous comment.

I'm not so sure it's "older" people in forums who swear a lot. I'm a member of a rather small, closed forum; the youngest member is in her late 20s, most of the others are over 50. There is absolutely no swearing of any kind going on between us.

Another board, where I am a forum moderator, has a wide range of ages, all the way from 11 upwards of 70 or so. It's a large forum, for fans of the author Jean Auel, and there is no swearing (for the most part) there, either. Oh, maybe the rare occasional word, but the mods put a stop to anything that seems disruptive, inappropriate, or attacking.

I think it has to do a lot with the "tone" of the forum and what the moderators will or will not allow. An established forum, where the rules are not only spelled out but also enforced, that has a good member base that sets a good, positive tone, will keep itself free from undesirable activity such as swearing, flaming, etc.

Quite frankly, those are the types of forums I gravitate toward - even if the forum is for discussion of something I'm interested in, I won't stick around if I don't like the tone.

I like the tone here. I think I'll stay. :)

@Rage

I agree with you, I wouldn't like that sort of tone to a forum. I'm really glad this one has the rules that exist. Showing respect for each other makes it a nice place to be, and that seems to be a top priority here. :)

@Starrlena

If we stop saying things that might offend someone or hurt their feelings, then we'd would have to stop speaking all together. Not everyone gets offended or their feelings hurt by the same thing. And generally everyone has a different definition of what is 'offensive'.

We still have to be careful though. I kinda remembered a scene like Ron Weasley (who has an emotional range of a teaspoon, or so, he acts like an insensitive 5 year old) and Hermione Granger (whose sensitivity nearly killed her in Harry Potter 1). Which is why it really is not a good idea to use swear words around someone new or a stranger. Even if it appears that he/she is quite mellow or what after some conversation. Some people just don't openly admit getting offended. Agree with Mopiece a bit though.

We shouldn't have to be careful. Some people are just way too sensitive. There is no reason to freak out if someone uses swear words. It's not like they were talking to you and they're just words.

@mopiece: ditto. everything you say has the potential to get misunderstood and even the 'nonmisunderstood' things you do say is going to piss off some people. For example, to me, saying I'm an atheist is like stating water is made of 2 hydrogens and 1 oxygen. But a religious nut is going to take that same statement and probably go into a large rant on how atheists suck, are anti christ devil worshipping criminals (we got no '10' commandments to follow so we must be evil). Or in a nutshell, I offend them because I stated what I believe in.

So you might as well only care about the opinions that matter to you and everything is 'screw it'. :P If you keep worrying about other ppls' opinions, you're just going to get stepped all over.

@sargon: You just said "But I try to not swear other people, because I know its very insulting when someone swears you or mocks you."

^ this assumes there is another person/group you are mocking/swearing. Also, how is a nonviolent release of emotions not positive? Would you rather I start punching something every time I want to express anger? Better to swear and let it all out verbally, than take it out physically.

@twiceth: practically every language on earth has at least one swear word in its folds. There's something about the taboo nature of swearwords that makes them so appealing, hence why they keep existing. If they weren't 'normal', they should have died out long ago. But they don't. Swearwords just keep evolving and changing with the human languages. What was offensive than isn't offensive now and new swearwords pop up. So no matter how ppl deny it, swearwords are a 'normal', albeit often ignored/hidden, part of society (which what makes them so appealing)

I mean, in the linguistic part of the library, we have dozens of books on verb evolution and yet only ~10 books on swearwords, half of them from 15-20 years ago. I think ppl should learn the history of swearwords and see them for what they are: words. Harmless by themselves without any type of reputation.

But as soon as you attach that reputation, it because a swearword, something that has the potential to hurt/release emotions/etc. Perhaps instead of condemning swearwords which just increase their power, one should be more 'open' to talk about them instead of condemning them outright. How they developed and such.

Actually, now I think about it, swearwords have the same reputation as sex. Something alluded to but never spoken openly. (at least in USA). Because its never spoken about, only ridiculed and condemned, both have a taboo mystique around them making them appealing for the general mass.

@KTC

That happened to me in high school, during my freshman year. I said I was an atheist and people freaked out. I only met a handful of people who were respectful about it and didn't care.