Aveyond Studios Community
MidnightPearl

irekismaren1011 - The Blacksmith's Apprentice

I'm having trouble playing the game. It keeps saying BGM - Evenstar not found, yet it is in the BGM folder and I can listen to it.

I am having the EXACT same problem with this game, with that exact file. I shifted the BA Audio file as instructed (and sorted out the font) but to no avail. I ran the Evenstar track through wimamp - and it played, so I'm not sure why that specific audio file is preventing the game from playing.

It's disheartening to note that the poster who originally bought this issue up has been thoroughly ignored...

I can't help but wish that these games had 2 threads apiece - one dealing specifically with glitches and the other for walkthrough information. I understand that those who are actually able to play the game and are in the middle of playing it, probably aren't too interested in the dilemma of those of us who can't even get it started.

Still...any ideas from anyone?

For JerrySD (if you haven't already sorted it)

I'm answering your (and my) question essentially. I had unzipped my files into a folder that *I* had created, named, and placed on my desktop. I then shifted that file into the main "Blacksmith's Apprentice" folder (which contains the exe.) I'm sure that my *naming* the folder unecessarily caused the problem.

(That and that I have a number of programs with which to unzip files, some of which have expired.)

So I deleted that audio file from the "Blacksmith's Apprentice" folder and re-unzipped "BA - Audio" zip using winrar. A file appeared on my desktop simply entitled "Audio". Once I shifted *that* file into "Blacksmith's Apprentice" folder, the game worked.

Well, good for you! :)

It's disheartening to note that the poster who originally bought this issue up has been thoroughly ignored...

I can't help but wish that these games had 2 threads apiece - one dealing specifically with glitches and the other for walkthrough information. I understand that those who are actually able to play the game and are in the middle of playing it, probably aren't too interested in the dilemma of those of us who can't even get it started.

It's not that! We'd love to help (no one should miss out on a great game like this ;) ), if only we knew how (in this case). The creator is busy with the production of the next book, so it wouldn't be wise to invite him here to answer technical queries. As for the walkthrough ones, we try our best. :D

Glad you figured it out as did Jerry who also managed to beat this game...

Enjoy the game! :)

There's a program called Artmoney that can help with that. There's a trick to getting it to work with RPGMaker games, though. Values (like experience, gold, number of items) are stored as double the actual value plus one. So if a value is zero, the search value would be one (zero doubled is zero, then you add one.) If the value you're searching for is 5, you enter 11 (five doubled is ten, then you add one.) I love the program so much, I bought it even though it's free to use. Saves me a lot of mind-numbing grinding.

Here's the problem I'm having. I'm in the cave in Thieves' Woods, standing on that platform you arrive at when you do up and to the right a little bit from the entrance. I press the action button and get "That's weird... I wonder what this is for." It's got to be a trap door or something, but I can't figure out how to open it.

OK, but I'm still stuck. I'm supposed to find the sewing lady's equipment and figure out who stole the tokens, but I've been to the three tents and the cave in Thieves' Woods and I don't know what to do next. The thieves are supposedly in a cave underground but there's nothing else in that cave other than a bridge that makes my torch go out (which I re-light with the tinderbox). I got the guy's locket back, but can't see how to proceed any further.

okay... if you have the Tinderbox, you can go further in the cave... after the bridge, if you go north, look carefully for a hidden opening to the right... if you must, hug the right wall to find it... I had to... this leads you further into the cave... it took me a while to find as well.

It's not that! We'd love to help (no one should miss out on a great game like this ), if only we knew how (in this case). The creator is busy with the production of the next book, so it wouldn't be wise to invite him here to answer technical queries. As for the walkthrough ones, we try our best.

Yeah, I know. Everyone's doing the best that they can and the walkthrough advice is very patient and detailed( - and I *am* enjoying the game). It can just get frustrating when you're at the the stage where you can't get it to download.

But I see your point. :)

Sorry - I was wondering if anyone knew if the wooden chest by the fence in Dewbream farm (after you kill the Aspids) is accessible or not in Book 1? I keep trying to get to it but can't find a way to reach it.

I'm another person really STRUGGLING to initiate the lock-pick quest (and I've gone as far as getting the coalbrim no less - and still no damn lockpick!) I read earlier up-thread that it was related to the main quest and therefore 'unmissable' but I somehow have all but managed to complete the game without it...

After I went through the cursed castle/ruins I went back to Leif's Haven (as someone advised) but it hasn't triggered anything.

If someone could just outline how you start this quest in a spoiler (I'm beyond hints by now!) it would be much appreciated.

Other than my own blundering... this has been a VERY professional game indeed and one of the best I've seen on RPGmaker.

Kudos the the creator. The music is fitting without being overpowering, the graphics are simply fantastic - backgrounds, sprite, overworld, portraits - the visuals are spot on. The puzzles and sidequests have been relevant, sufficiently challenging and *intelligent* And it's wonderful to read convincing, character-based dialogue that is properly edited.

An extremely polished game all-round that I genuinely enjoyed playing.

Hello all, I'm "Juno", the creator of the Blacksmith's Apprentice. Thanks for all the kind words about the game! It's been a real encouragement to continue working on it, since (as those who use RPG Maker XP certainly know) development takes time and doesn't always feel very rewarding. So thank to all who've taken the time to play this *long* game and post their feedback.

I'm currently taking a break on development, hoping to recharge my creative batteries a little. Book 2 is probably a third of the way finished, if I had to guess.

As for the issue triggering the lock-pick quest: is it Autumn yet? That quest SHOULD happen once you have the coal (not just the coalbrim), and return to Thief's Haven. Also, make sure you have the latest version. It's here: http://www.mediafire.com/?zmvtn04g0yw

Let me know if this doesn't add up, and glad you're enjoying it!

EDIT: Also, about the question of the chest on the Dewbream farm, HIGHLIGHT to see the spoiler:

When it becomes winter, some of the smaller ponds and rivers will freeze over, allowing you to walk over them. Certain areas will only be available during the winter.

Have you spoken to Charis' mom? After helping her out with a couple of errands, you need to talk to Belarus.

He'll let you know about a passageway to the caves from his cellar that'll help William escape from town unnoticed and that you should find a way to sneak Will into his house. Then head back to Will's place and speak to him to advance.

Hope that helps :)