Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Reives

A story-oriented RPG without battles?

Hiya everyone. Lately I've been doing some thinking, and I'm very curious in your opinions on something.

What do you think of a RPG with a focus on story and atmosphere that does not use a battle system?

There would be no leveling, fighting-related stats or battles (unless in forms of mini-games). The game would be comprised of following the story, exploring, puzzles and mini-games.

Personally, I've always been a fan of following the story first-hand in RPGs, and took enjoyment of that above all else. I'm not sure if others share this sentiment to that degree, though.

So, what do you think about something like that?

Thank you very much in advance. :)

I think that's reasonable. There have been successful games that fall into that realm, like Myst or Puzzle Pirates. (Though a 'story' is lacking in the latter.) I just think there are some things to be aware of. Without battle and minigames, an RPG isn't anything more than a movie you walk around in. That doesn't seem much like a game at that point. So I suppose the point I'd make is that if you want a game without battles, you'd need to compensate for it by having tons of other minigames and puzzles.

I've been thinking along the same lines for quite some time. I'm afraid I'm not creative enough to come up with a good story that doesn't rely on battles (I HAVE been able to come up with one including battles that doesn't rely on magic). Guess that's what you get for being in a job where you focus on numbers for 20 years and don't "have" to be creative.

That's a nice looking website!

I prefer those kinds of RPGs over others. I like focusing more on the whole lot of a game rather than spend most of my time battling monsters and grinding just to defeat bosses and stuff. Sometimes I forget what's happening in the story if I battle too much, but that could be just me.

Depends on the story. Personally, I don't see the point of playing a role playing game without any type of fighting: There's no conflict then. How is one suppose to be beat up the big bad baddy if you can't beat him up? Sure you can use an item on him for instant kill, but that's such a cop out. And doing a tetris puzzle to kill him is not cool.

What I prefer to the extreme of absolutely no fighting are games like zelda ocarina of time or legacy of kain soul reaver where fighting is a minimum and there are no required levels to grind to. There the game runs on the stories mostly and you only fight when you have to.

LOL

... doing a tetris puzzle to kill him is not cool.

Anyway, I think it is reasonable too. It would be nice to have RPGs which do not require fighting or leveling up. Oh, perhaps "leveling up" in difficulty of the puzzle... in a detective sort of game. In solving a mystery, perhaps?

What about Puzzle Quest? There's battles, but the battle system is by solving puzzles, and I don't think that's really counted as battles.

I'm not too sure, though. Cuz I don't see the point of playing RPGs if there's no battles.

Hmmm, for my opinion I like focusing on the story, I like to see how well the plot link's together, that's what interested me to Amanda's and your games in the beginning! Battles add a nice touch of course, but judging from Quintessence, I think that the story is gonna out run the battling by a mile. c:

I don't think I would like that kind of RPG. It won't be exciting without any battles and I don't suppose puzzles would be that fun.

But I suppose that is only because I haven't yet come across such a game that I have liked . :(

I would like an RPG without fighting too, because usually what I look for and enjoy more in an RPG is the story. I like it when in some games there's the option to play story mode and skip the battles [like Everlong and Ara Fell.] Because I find it rather tiring and frustrating if I can barely make five steps without bumping into an enemy and having to fight [specially if I'm focusing on finding my way through the area fast or on solving a puzzle.] I really really enjoyed the last game I've just finished - Sailor Moon The Moon Child, it was great in my opinion but I think it really contained too much fighting... about every couple of steps I was attacked -_-

The main thing that I look for in a RPG is a compelling story. The battles are just an added bonus. If the story is interesting enough, I'd play it but it would have give the player some thing to do like quests, puzzles, or mini-games. I wouldn't like a game that's just one long cut scene with little for the player to do. If a game is just that, I'd rather read a book.

A good plot and a good story (characters included) along with the help of adorable mini-games are good enough to make a beautiful non-battle RPG. It kinda reminds me of Wandering Willows. But, a game without battles will be interesting. So long as the plot's complicated and continuous, I think it'll cover for the should-have-been battle parts. Btw, I like the idea. Very unique and friendly (translation: I'm a peaceful person, and would love a game like that).:)

There are a number of mystery games along these lines. I think the story has to be intriguing in order to keep people involved in the game. Frankly, mini-puzzles can sometimes drive me nuts depending on what they are. There is one mystery series where the mini-puzzles give clues but are not necessary to complete the game.

I like the non-violent thinking, but usually, even in mysteries there is an element of violence in that a crime has been committed, and the potential danger in which the main character finds themself is part of what keeps up the interest. I'd love to find an interesting game where the violence is minimal. Although being an old time D&D player, i don't mind if the violence is not reality based.

I've got one in the works myself. Due to the nature of the idea behind the story, battles are definitely out.

Then again, there is something to be said for mindless cyber genocide. When I'm feeling stressed, sometimes it helps to be able to go out and kill orcs.

Sounds like an interesting idea. I enjoy the battles in AV games because they're more like puzzles to me (what combination will win this match) and don't seem like real fighting.

It would be nice if there were many choices to make that affect the outcome, so the game could be played many times over to see different outcomes (Cute Knight, anyone?). I hope you will pursue your idea though...

Well, if it's like Sunset over Imdahl, it would be really awesome. SOI is also a non-battle RPG with a great storyline. Just minigames and simple interact with the environment gameplay. And the hand-drawn graphics just add to the charm. ;)

I was a bit apprehensive when I decided to give it a go but I really enjoyed every moment of it and when I finished playing I was quite suprised that an RPG without battles could be so much fun! :o:D

So Reives, go for it! :)

Actually, battle is fun. But sometimes, it's make me really annoyed when playing game -_-'

It could be fun if there's a game with no battle but have some mini-games :)

BTW: Are you talking about Lyra Melody Reives? :lol:

Sounds like a great idea but it wouldn't be considered an RPG anymore without the battle system would it?Wouldn't it be considered more as a free roam type game?The idea is great just curious

Heheh aye, I suppose it might be categorized under adventure games. But when I think of adventure games, I picture static image-backgrounds and click adventures like the original Myst, instead of Sunset Over Imdahl-ish (by the way, thanks for Dewy! I played it from your link and really enjoyed it). And shh, Delphinus! :P

Thanks a lot everyone!! :) That was very helpful, I'll definitely keep everything in mind.

Pacing is definitely something to watch out for with things like this. I think the lack of a battle system doesn't equate to the lack of conflicts (either in the story or in interactivity), though. Mini-games that take the place of battles don't have to be all tetris either, but rather still a fight - except in a mini-game form (an example is Sunset Over Imbdahl's final "battle" ). It's definitely quite risky, though, as it may be a relatively unfamiliar genre.

In fact, it would indeed be somewhat like controlling characters in a movie! :P But I am hoping that something like that would certainly have some unique pros over reading a book for the same story; as it has a focus on visual atmosphere, music, and interactions.

Here's a sample screenshot from what such a thing would look like:

LM_Windmill.png

(The black bars would exist through the entire game, for a pseudo-cinematic effect, even through mini-games and puzzles.)

Not going to plug any projects or anything though, of course. This topic is just for the genre in general.

So, for those who are not into something like this, would you give a game in this genre a try out of curiosity if you saw one, or just leave out? Please be honest! c: