Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
shaz

*SPOILERS* What are your thoughts on the game?

I think the right choice was made. I so can't wait now for gon since you said chapter 1 and 2 combined will end up being longer than av 1 or 2 and probably ap for that matter as well. I felt like av2 was a little short in comparison to av1. I love the first aveyond game, but love av3 even more and didn't know that was possible. I don't care that av3 was a little short, it isn't that short. It took me 15 hours to beat it doing everything and seeing everything. I think anyone that goes through it in less than 10 hours isn't spending too much time on it. I'm sure when I replay it I might be able to beat it in 10 hours. I agree that it was split in the right place and like the way things are being done. I would say that the members here saying its like a prologue to a book are probably right, but I think that was the intention. I don't think people should just go by the length and linearness of lot and judge the whole series, that would be wrong. They should wait and I think some will cause it is a great game and then decide and then of course they will feel bad saying it was a waste of money and this and that. No aveyond game would ever be a waste of any money. I would gladly pay $20 for lord of twilight. Keep up the good work everyone.

For those who feel cheated/disappointed by the length of LoT:

Purchase GoN and then play LoT and GoN together, as if it were one whole game (which it is, really). You have now spent $20 on a "full Aveyond game".

If you still don't like the chapter idea, then you don't have to buy any more, but at least you'll have the experience of one full game at the right quality, quantity, and price.

I can't believe I've read all those posts!

Okay. My two gold coins:

I love the eggs! The bomber bird eggs rock, and the spider eggs are terrific, too. The Easter eggs can surprise. Hah!

I also like the disappearing corpses. Neatness counts, y'know. Nice that it saves trying to get something from a corpse you've already searched.

I thought LoT started out a bit slow, but it does pick up after a while.

I don't mind the chapter thing. I was a bit surprised, because I downloaded from BFG, and there was no indication that this was a first chapter. I just don't think it's worth getting all that excited over. I have far more important things to expend my WP (Worry Points) on, like my grandson's misbehavior or the economy or . . . yaddayaddayadda. I like the idea of having a new bit of Aveyond every few months instead of having to wait a year or more. And when you put the two chapters together, you DO have a "full game" for $20 (or $14 if you're BFG), so what the ding-dong is the difference?

As for where LoT ends, it was a bit of a startle, but I think it's a great cliffhanger! Having Heptitus make off with the key is a great hook. I like the idea of having to chase her nasty self down for it. (I call her Hepatitus, because she's about as pleasant.)

Characters:

Mel is good. A rascally, cynical street urchin. Sometimes she shocks (mildly) with her remarks, but she'll get better as she goes. She'll learn some compassion.

Lydia is going to join the party later? Ugh. She'd better do some learning, too, or I'll let her get snuffed and stay that way! I couldn't stand Nicholas in Aveyond 2, either!

I don't mind Edward. I don't think he's all that bad, and I can understand him leaving and then coming back. He's not worldly-wise. He's been sheltered. So he's finding out stuff of which he had no concept. And his coming back shows how distasteful the thought of being cooped up in his life can be to him. Maybe he'll decide he doesn't want to be king. Especially if he wants to marry Mel. Gee -- there was another Prince Edward who fell in love with a commoner and had to abdicate, here in the real world. H'mmm.

And by mentioning that bit of royal history, I'm showing MY age!

I'm glad to see Te'ijal and Galahad showing development. That is indeed going to be an interesting story thread to follow. The remark the old man in the bar makes about having hated his wife until she died, and then discovering that he loved her all along may have some prophetic import for Galahad. That is a funny scene, though. And Te'ijal may sound like she's threatening, but I think it's just a very dry sense of humor.

I agree that the first part ended up being too linear, but sic biscuitus disintegrat (that's the way the cookie crumbles).

I'm happily waiting for the next one. Now I gotta go back and play again and get all those . . . hmmmmm . . . never mind.

lol, I think William is more tolerant of commoners than our real world XD and don't forget that there's a history of commoners marrying into the family as well (remember Alicia and Devin?). They just weren't too unsuitable. None of their consorts have been divorced multiple times XD

@aisling:

Forgive my ignorance, but, who's William?

@kama:

Please don't write off Gates of Night just because of Lord of Twilight! I agree that the ending was a little abrupt, but remember that this is the first time Amanda and the others are doing this chapter thing, and it was decided upon after the entire game(LoT and GoN together) was almost finished. The cut-off point was really the best choice, since going much further in the game would mean the developers would need to find a way to block off the other worlds accessible by ship(which would likely make people even more frustrated). If you read the thread on Gates of Night, the other posts on this thread, or the thread "Chapters: Like or Dislike" then you would have gotten several promises from admins and beta testers that Gates of Night is going to be much longer than Lord of Twilight.

LoT is the first attempt. If GoN turns out to be a way better game, wouldn't you be kicking yourself for not giving it a try? ;)

I am not happy. I finally get a key and wake the princess. And the game is over. And the witch takes my key. and, I have to wait until august to get another piece of the game.[/b][/size]I don't get ship, or place key, or explore the rest of the land.

No, William is the son of Uthar, and father of Edward. So he has not been born in Ean's Quest.

Do we learn this in LoT? Or is it something we can learn in GoN? **Thinking I might have missed something.**

Anyways....

I liked the game- I very much enjoyed the first chapter, and though I wish it was longer, I understand that it was the most logical place to split it.

Disappearing corpses were nice, but what I liked best were the journal interludes. And I also really liked the fact that even though Mel is a "hardened thief" she also does really good deeds-- like buying the guy food, and finding the dog. That was all Mel, and not Stella. (Seriously, I don't want to get spiders for you! Ewww!)

No, I learnt it from badgering the admins XD

Siriusly though, since Uthar was Crown Prince, it is more likely that William is his descendant, unless he dies young. And since William and Edward exhibit more sword wielding skills than healer skills it's more likely that they're Uthar's descendants rather than Nicolas's.

No, I learnt it from badgering the admins XD

Haha!

Siriusly though, since Uthar was Crown Prince, it is more likely that William is his descendant, unless he dies young. And since William and Edward exhibit more sword wielding skills than healer skills it's more likely that they're Uthar's descendants rather than Nicolas's.

Oooh, ok. That makes sense.

:.:.:.:.:

Did anyone else not like the dead guy just staying in front of the pass? couldn't the wolves come, and like, eat him after we've figured out that he's dead? I just found him lying there kind of disturbing. Anyone else think so, or is it just me?

yeah that makes a lot of sense. We didn't get a chance to have uthar in our party, but I'd expect him to be a better sword fighter. Edward is a very good fighter and I like that his sword of choice is excalibur, a very unique twist to things.

yeah that makes a lot of sense. We didn't get a chance to have uthar in our party, but I'd expect him to be a better sword fighter. Edward is a very good fighter and I like that his sword of choice is excalibur, a very unique twist to things.

Yeah the dead merchant is kind of odd. It is strange that he stays there dead and all for a while. I wish he would disappear, maybe he will in gon.

aislingyngaio: Merged posts. Please do not make a habit of double-posting. If no one has replied after you, edit your post to include the additional content instead.

I just finished it. God. I missed the Aveyond story! :) Cant wait for the Gates of Night one.

I loved seeing familiar names in WitchWood. That was super cool.

I also really liked that the dead creatures disappeared after clicked upon; let me tell you, that saves me alot of time and frustration.

I am a bit puzzled about the ending, however. But, I have faith in Amanda and her team. They usually do a super job and make our wait worth it.

I haven't read all ten pages of comments, so I'm probably going to parrot a few things.

I loved that the corpses disappear. In previous games, it starts to look like more people should pick up after their dogs...

The coolest attention to detail was that the chests I returned for were actually worth returning for. I was frustrated that by the time I had a lockpick in AV1, there was nothing in the locked chests I'd passed by that was worth collecting. In AV3, when I returned to the keep and other places later on, there was good stuff to be had and that made it more rewarding.

Didn't like: There was a moment in AV2 and AV3 that was similar. We have a healer in the party and several healing items, and we watch someone die. I think we left the merchant still alive to get his pass. First Aid anyone? Spells?

Liked: Lots of depth in the side quests is getting hinted at. Through the cutscenes we see much more character development.

The men in AV1 are pretty despicable for one reason or another. This time the girls are getting theirs, and the men are much more likeable. Galahad deserved a break. And, as an undead paladin I'm glad he's not just average, it makes sense that he's got some extra power. And Te'ijhal's not ridiculously powerful compared to the rest.

And our first healer that talks like she likes people! Dameon and Nicholas never did.

The maps seem to be inspired by AP. I loved AP for the maps, they were so much richer than AV2. I got lost! I loved it!

Liked: There aren't hundreds of spells to acquire - I only ever used a handful anyway. The combat is pretty much items and weapons. I'm also not constantly upgrading weapons and gear.

I like thieves that aren't just pathetic fighters. Mel gets some additional abilities, and I assume she gets more. Maybe assassination when she gets to Halloween Town? I live in hope.

There are several hints that she could become a magic user too; I'm not sure how that will play out but I'm holding on to my mandrakes.

I'm not left wondering if I should go back and play making all different choices. I had a dozen saved games of AV1 - one for each gift out of Aveyond, each guild, etc but then each choice meant hours of going over the same maps and fights. I like that this was a complete experience the first time through, and I'm not left agonizing over what I missed.

Hints of Assassin's Apprentice - Robin Hobb is one of my favourite authors, and Prof Gray reminded me of her work.

The ending is very like the ending to AP and many books at the start of a trilogy. I can live with it, because I know there is more coming later.

Didn't like: The start of the game and the canoe were a little distracting. It took away from the reality that the game is actually not that linear. Put vampires at the gate to Harburg when I'm escaping, and I won't go back. Mel told me off for several of my choices, and I like to make my mistakes.

Loved: technically the cleanest game I have bought from Amaranth yet. Virtually error free, no crashes, no games lost, no getting trapped. Much more thoroughly developed and tested.

At the 500th fight mark, the combat theme in the other games gets on my nerves, but the choice is always just turning off all the sound or listening to everything. I like the music associated with each new area, it just bothers me that you reach Level 80 and you happen on a spider and the theme music attacks you for the millionth time. I found the combat theme was much less irritating this time around, and I've left the sound on.

I loved it overall! I played right through.