Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
jj41649

Purchased the strategy guide - waste

The BFG strategy guide is being redone. But all their strategy guides are executables, not documents, so even when it's redone (and includes all the maps - I don't know if they've fixed that problem yet), you probably still won't be able to print them - unless you take screen prints, which would be slow.

I think it's more for players who don't mind having the guide sitting open and can just duck over and refer to it every now and then, rather than having it on hand the whole time.

Actually, I really don't like the fact that BFG is making money out of a strategy guide. It seems to me that they're just desperate to make more money by making a guide for a game, and when it is not well-received by the general public everything is blamed on Amanda. It just doesn't seem fair. :(

Kirroha-don't some of the proceeds for the strategy guide go to Amanda at least? I would hope so!

I do agree it does feel like a bit of a desperate way to make more money. At the same I think it's a little silly to get it anyhow considering everyone here is so good about answering any questions...and very promptly too!

I hope so. Even so, I don't like the fact that BFG is making so much money out of a strategy guide that was provided by Amanda and shaz. It feels like fraud.

Yes, Amanda gets a small percent of sales from the strategy guide.

And remember, Amaranthia isn't the world. There are MANY thousands of people who buy the game who don't know the forum exists. How are they going to get help from a forum they don't know about?

Don't stress about the strategy guide. It's not fraud - if you don't want it, don't buy it. Some people DO want them, or they wouldn't be becoming so popular over there. If it is popular, we will be making one for each chapter - for those people who don't know about the forum, or who want the answers at their fingertips instead of having to go online every time and maybe wait a while for the answers.

For the forum members here, you probably won't ever need to get or use it, because other forum members provide guides for free, or because you know you're going to get an answer on the forum. But some BFG people might find it really useful :)

Okay then... but it still feels like cheating to me. :( It's like they're doing this all for the sake of earning money for themselves and not caring about Amanda.

LOL - ALL portals sell games and whatever else to earn money for themselves :D None of them do it mainly to benefit the developer of the game. I would be really happy if Amanda got a higher percent for each copy of the game and the guide sold, but I'm not holding my breath waiting. At least with the guide, she does make a little bit extra from those people who find it useful :)

I have to say I'm really disappointed in the strategy guide. For one thing, there's no table of contents or even page numbers, so in the walkthrough I have to go page by page until I figure out where it matches my place in the game. The maps also don't have a table of contents so you have to go page-by-page searching for the map you're looking for. Also the maps are low-resolution, blurry to the point of being useless in some areas (such as the mountains, there the ladders aren't even shown) and don't contain any information about chests or bags. I find myself having to come here to the site, where the maps are far better. The game itself is great, but the strategy guide is very poorly done. I don't understand why you would sell something like that.

webgrunt:

The player who made the guide is under no obligation to include every detail. That is why it is listed in the Guides, Maps, etc, topic as BASIC walkthrough.

Please be patient ... some of the beta testers promised to work on detailed guides, which often require many MONTHS of preparation.

Keep a lookout for new ones.

Until then, check out the following pinned topics:

FAQ

Guides, Maps, Goodies

You will even find fully annotated maps listed there.

Hmmm, I just noticed you mentioned that we were selling the guide ...are you referring to BFG's guide? If so, that is BFG's guide, not ours. We don't sell guides, etc, since players make the ones they make available for free here.

I agree, it's a waste, but it's nice for the people who don't have other resources to help them out. I just think it is far too overpriced considering AV3, at the moment, costs only $3.00 less than it does. This guide is priced accordingly for a twenty dollar game, they should sell it for about half the price, so that, for the full game (I consider Book 1 & 2 the full game, because they originally were), the guide is seven dollars. But whatever. At least a percent of the money earned from the guide goes to Amanda. =)

iPink wrote:

I agree, it's a waste, but it's nice for the people who don't have other resources to help them out. I just think it is far too overpriced considering AV3, at the moment, costs only $3.00 less than it does. This guide is priced accordingly for a twenty dollar game, they should sell it for about half the price, so that, for the full game (I consider Book 1 & 2 the full game, because they originally were), the guide is seven dollars. But whatever. At least a percent of the money earned from the guide goes to Amanda. =)

I am happy that atleast Amanda makes profits also after a tiring work to keep us entertained =) and WE WILL ALL RALLY AGAINST bigfishgames if it doesn't give Amanda her part on the strategy guides! Hoping for AV4 ... AV5 and so on =]

So the one for sale on amaranthia is really bfg doing? I wondered why it was for sale. I got the ap, av1, av2 guides, but its for the whole game and it didn't cost anything. I thought about getting it, but its really unnecessary though I'm glad some are buying it for Amanda. It's only for part of the game so it doesn't seem worth it to me. I wonder though if later amaranthia will have guides for more than one chapter combined or individual ones since chapter 1 is short.

There will be no rally. BFG, Amanda and I have worked in conjunction to make the guide available on their site. ALL the guides on BFG cost the same as the game - a game credit. Whether I think that's a good idea or not isn't for me to say, but it's a policy. Amanda gets profit from the sales of the guide as well.

I have sent through a much BETTER guide and asked that they swap them. Whether they do or not is up to them. It still won't have a Print function - I don't think any of the guides do. But it's much easier to navigate and find maps. I hope they swap them.

Besides ... we don't have any picket-line smilies. So there will be no rally. ;)

Tiniponi:

Yes, I'm talking about BFG's guide. The player-created maps and guides here are much better. I wish I gad given the money I spent on the guide to the good folks who post help here instead of Big Fish Games.

Shaz said:

"Don't stress about the strategy guide. It's not fraud - if you don't want it, don't buy it."

Huh? I bought it because I wanted it, but after I bought it, I found out it's very poorly done. I'm not saying it's fraud, I'm saying it's not worth buying. Hell, it wouldn't be worth downloading if it were free, the help/maps are so much better here.

I'm not surprised BFG made it, though. Amanda produces top-quality work--if she had made the strategy guide, I'm confident it would be much, much better. So my point is for any prospective buyers to beware that the strategy guide is a BFG product and at least one reviewer (me) is advising against buying it--and don't associate the poor quality of that guide with Amaranth games!

Thanks for the info, i was wondering what that strategy guide was, and if I needed it to play, am stuck at the moment, but will figure out what I'm doing eventually, love the game having a blast, glad to know I don't need to purchase the strategy guide to finish this chapter! :):):)

Actually, I gave BFG all the info for the strategy guide, in the format they requested. What I did NOT know at the time (and neither did Amanda) was that they'd release it in exactly the same format in which they received it.

I'm not sure if this is standard practice, or if it was done this way because of the time limitations. However, we've both learned a lot from the experience.

I have completely redone the guide and asked BFG to replace the current one with the much more professional-looking new one. Whether they do or not, is up to them.

If they choose not to replace it, wait until GoN comes out and download the guide for that and take a look - in the 5 minutes trial period you will see a HUGE difference in the quality. The appearance of the current one leaves a lot to be desired. I really hope they change it.

As you say, people who come HERE likely don't need the guide, as most of the material is provided for free on the forum, even if you do have to visit several topics. But I hope BFG customers keep buying them - if they don't assume they're all going to look as poor as this one does.

And the "fraud" comment was in response to someone else, not to you :)

I've got the strategy guide,I must say it SUCKS,the are only three maps,well there is the whole AV3-1 guide..

I had to go to the FAQ and the other guide here so I don't get lost...constantly.. lol

BFG..Ah I personally hate that company ._. not only is the fish ugly,they don't have any ...cool games lol

Now I did buy it,but I have no problem with money atm so..yeah..I didn't mind so much..

Just don't buy it..Someone could post the actual guide on how to pass ._. it's a huge waste of money,they should take the guide from shaz,since nothing can be worse than the guide BFG published

All maps are there. Did you not get the email Big Fish sent out a few days ago, saying to delete it and redownload? I deleted mine and redownloaded, and all the maps are there.

The guides and maps posted here are way better because they're made by people who are Aveyond fans like everyone else and want to make sure they're the best possible. And shaz's comment that if you don't like the bfg guide don't buy it can still apply, since bfg sometimes offers free 5 min. trials of its strategy guides(enter the Return to Ravenhearst guide).

I've always thought of strategy guides as a waste, since all you need to do is Google "Aveyond 3:Lord of Twilight hints". Voila! Gamezebo, Cheat Masters, UHS Hint System...you can find everything and anything on the web now. ;)