Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Reives

Lyra's Melody - The Song She Whispered to Me

LyrasMelody.jpg(click to listen: Lyra's Melody main theme)

When Ralle Peregrine was a child, he began to hear a mysterious melody in his head. Around the same time, his childhood sweetheart, Lyra Shire, began to lose her hearing.

As they grew up, Ralle became a guitarist to accompany the strange melody that only he hears whenever he closes his eyes. By then, Lyra had gone completely deaf.

He wrote many songs for her, but she could hear none of them.

LM_Windmill.png

One day, when Ralle was playing the mysterious tune at his usual spot, a wagon came by and stopped. Out came a man; a wanderer named Traviston Estel, with a piece of rye hanging out of his mouth.

That of which he soon spat out, as he took out a music box, echoing the very melody that Ralle has been hearing all these years.

Bewildered, Ralle questioned him of the origin of the song - but the man did not know. In fact, it has been something that has been stuck in his head ever since he was a child as well, so he had the music box custom-made to keep it inside.

LMssfolkplaying.jpg

Upon hearing about Lyra's deafness as they conversed, the man spoke of the possibility for means to cure her in the big cities far, far away. For the sake of the common song of unknown origin they shared, Traviston offered to take them with him, as he was heading there himself.

Thrilled at even the remotest possibility of curing her, the couple took up the offer. And so began a journey that uncovered a mysterious past that spanned centuries.

But they only had one wish,

For that one day, Lyra would finally be able to hear the songs Ralle wrote for her.

Ralle_and_Lyra-Reives.png

is a fairytale RPG, with an aim of creating an interactive cinematic experience through a focus on story, atmosphere and music. It is a title being developed by Freebird Games, creator of Quintessence - The Blighted Venom and Do You Remember My Lullaby.

The main characters are obviously Ralle and Lyra. Here are their portrait pictures that I'm still working on:

Lyra Shire:

LyraColourShadeWIP2.png

Ralle Peregrine:

RalleWIP2.png

MillInt.jpg

A ~20 minutes demo will be released in the next week or two. I am very eager to get some suggestions and advices from ya guys, they're always very helpful. :)

For now, here is a piano recording of its main theme, "Lyra's Melody":

Thank you very much for reading!

Feedbacks always welcomed and much appreciated.

-Reives/Kan

Lyra's Melody sounds amazing so far!

It has it's own unique-ness and a never-been-done-before storyline.

The screenshots are over the top and since playing Quintessence - I can't get enough of the gameplay and such.

The piano piece (melody) is so beautiful.

I love the lightness of it.

I cannot wait for the demo!

Hah, thanks a lot guys! c': Oh, the upcoming demo will also feature the town that'll be appearing in Chapter XI of Quintessence. While Q and LM do not have a connected plot/world, LM's starting town will make an appearance in Q set in the time when Lyra and Ralle were children. Some strange parallel world or whatnot, if you want to think of it like that. :P

Oh, and here's another song from LM's original soundtrack. It's called Rolling Peaches, it keeps on rolling rolling rolling. c:

http://freebirdgames.com/sounds/Rolling_Peaches.mp3

It won't be just a movie like Lullaby at all. c: In fact it'll definitely have more game-play than Quintessence - but however, in mini-game & puzzle format.

Actually, I still haven't decided whether to put a battle system in it at all (and have battles come in the form of mini-games and puzzles). It's one of those things that I'm hoping ya guys would help me decide. :P

It's good to know that Melody will have more gameplay than Quintessence. That was the only thing it lacked, imo.

I don't mind if there's no battle system as long as there's stuff (puzzles and mini-games would add a nice touch :D) to keep the player occupied rather than just watching cutscene after cutscene. I don't think gameplay should be compromised for story or vice-versa. Both should just blend well. :)

Good luck with the game!

I agree with RainboWings, there should be a fine balance between story and gameplay. One should not take precedence over the other. Even if the game is story-oriented, gameplay will only add to it as at the end of the day it is but a game not a book. In short, don't compromise on either.

I love puzzle and minigame based games with equal emphasis on story like Sunset over Imdahl (which you enjoyed as well, Reives :)). So if you do away with the battle system and go for the P&M format, I'm sure it'll be as (or perhaps even more) enjoyable :D

Looking forward to it! :)

Aye, that's definitely true! The balance is something that I need to work on, too. I'm also working on trimming off dialogues now, since I had a habit of placing a lot of unnecessary fillers.

I'm inclined to make it mini-game & puzzle only, but the main thing against that is that having a battle system is probably the most efficient system to implement as far as development cost vs. amount of game-play content goes.

I think the best case scenario would be to make the battle system minigame/puzzle-ish, without stats. Would be tricky to figure out how, though. D:

Oh hey, thanks guys! c': I was going to release it here tonight, but seems like Star beat me to it!

Here's the direct dl link for convenience (fixed version):

Download Link:

http://www.freebirdgames.com/LM_Demo1.exe

The demo can be played via either mouse-only or keyboard-only. Playing with mouse-only is recommended. Please play in full screen only (or read the .txt heads up in the folder).

The length is around 20 minutes, which will include a free-roaming session in the town you will reach in Chapter XI of Quintessence - The Blighted Venom.

Cheers! c:

...What the fudge is wrong with me.

* Downloads at 11:00 p.m at night even though I'm going to school tomorrow! D: *

*tear* so i guess beta testing already happend right D:?

I'll give you more feedback when I'm done! c:

Heya Melody, nice to see ya again. :> Betaing is an on-going process, so it'll persist all the way through its making. Thanks for playing, and looking forward to your feedback! Ya should put sleep over this though, it's a lot more important. :P