Aveyond Studios Community
Paralel

Technical Help - If Any Games Are Not Working Properly

1. Try These Threads First:

If you are having a problem running an Amaranth Games title the two threads below should be your first stops -

Technical Issues - FAQ:

http://www.amaranthia.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7238

Game Crashes - FAQ:

http://www.amaranthia.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3449

If the two threads above failed to answer your question or ameliorate your problem then please proceed below.

2. Update Your Microsoft Windows:

Make sure all the latest updates are installed for your version of Microsoft Windows. You can check whether you have all the latest updates here:

http://www.windowsupdate.com

If your version of Microsoft Windows is not up to date, install the updates that are listed and attempt to play the game again.

3. Update Your Drivers:

Make sure your computer system is running all the latest drivers, particularly for your Video and Audio components. You can usually locate updates easily for your computer by visiting the website of your computer manufacturer. Most of the time driver updates are listed under "Support", "Drivers", "Updates", or "Downloads".

4. Update Your DirectX:

DirectX is necessary for Amaranth Games titles to run on your computer. If you're running an older version of DirectX it may be the source of your problem. You can update your DirectX installation by downloading the file located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3

and running it from the location you downloaded it to. This file will scan your computer and download any updates for DirectX from Microsoft that are needed to bring your system up to date.

If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7: You will need to right click the file once downloaded and select "Run As Administrator" from the list that appears. Your screen will dim slightly and a box will pop up that is asking a question. You must answer "YES" otherwise your system will not be updated.

5. Change your DEP settings:

This link from Microsoft will tell you how to change your DEP settings:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700810.aspx#XSLTsection124121120120

It's the same general procedure for Windows Vista and Windows 7.

The file you want to make the exception for is the main EXE file for the Amaranth Games title you are trying to play. An example of this, using the title Aveyond: Lord of Twilight, would be:

Aveyond - Lord of Twilight.exe

This main EXE is most likely located in the default installation directory. This is usually a subfolder of the Program Files directory which can typically be found in the root of your primary hard drive, usually represented in "My Computer" as C:

Continuing with the example above, the default installation directory for Aveyond: Lord of Twilight would be:

C:\Program Files\Aveyond - Lord of Twilight

If you are running a 64-bit version of Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, the default installation path will be different. For a 64-bit version of Windows the default installation directory for Aveyond: Lord of Twilight would instead be:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Aveyond - Lord of Twilight

The examples provided above are valid for the English version of Windows only.

If you are not running an administrator account on your computer this will also not work as you will have insufficient privileges to make changes to the DEP subsystem.

6. Put DirectX Into Compatibility Mode:

The method below is not valid for Windows Vista nor Windows 7.

Go to RUN, type DXDIAG and hit enter. A box might pop up that asks for a yes or no answer, hit YES.

Once the program loads you should be looking at a box that has the title "DirectX Diagnostic Tool". Click the SOUND tab (it should be the 4th tab over from the left).

Slightly past the middle of the box, on the left hand side there should be a slider that has text on the left that reads "Hardware Sound Acceleration level". Drag the slider all the way to the left until the text over the slider says "No Acceleration".

Once you have done this hit the EXIT button in the lower right hand corner of the box.

7. Update Your Codecs:

Download the file at this location:

http://www.xpcodecpack.com/dl/XP-Codec-Pack-2.5.0.exe

It has XP in its name, but it's completely compatible with Vista and Windows 7.

This will update the codecs in your system which DirectX needs to run Amaranth Games titles.

Caution: Installing a codec pack can be very risky. It could go just fine. However, it could also make your computer completely mute, disabling your ability to playback any sound, or it could possibly (although highly unlikely) render your Windows completely inoperable. Proceed at your own risk.

Specific Problems:

I'm using a Non-English version of Microsoft Windows and I am getting the error message "Script 'Start Game' line 32: Emo::ENOENT occurred":

This is occurring because the software that runs most Amaranth Games titles has difficulty managing save game files in non-english versions of Microsoft Windows. Running the ResetSavedGamePath.cmd located in the installation directory for the Amaranth Games title you are playing should correct this problem.

There is one exception to this solution. The version of ResetSavedGamePath.cmd that shipped with Build A of Aveyond: Lord of Twilight does not work properly. This has been corrected in Build B of Aveyond: Lord of Twilight. Updating to the latest version by installing Build B over your Build A installation will replace the Build A ResetSavedGamePath.cmd with a copy that works properly. This should allow you to use the procedure directly above to correct the error in question.

My character won't stop going up/down/left/right, the quest journal won't stop opening/closing repeatedly, etc...:

This is a known bug in the software that runs most Amaranth Games titles which can occur with some keyboard/mouse combinations. It isn't currently possible to say who will be/won't be affected by this bug. There is also currently no generally accepted solution to this problem. You can try some of the suggestions in this thread and see if it solves your problem:

http://www.amaranthia.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2673

When I play an Amaranth Games title in windowed mode (the game plays in a little box and you can see your desktop) it looks fine but when I try to play it in full screen mode (the game takes up the entire/majority of the screen and the desktop cannot be seen) the screen flickers incessantly:

The method below is not valid for Windows Vista nor Windows 7.

This is due to a conflict between the graphics driver in your system and a type of graphics acceleration the software that runs most Amaranth Games titles uses through DirectX.

The only solution to this conflict is to turn off this acceleration when playing games that are affected by this flickering phenomenon. The procedures to turn off this acceleration are:

Click the Start button on the taskbar, click RUN, type DXDIAG and hit enter. A box might pop up that asks for a yes or no answer, hit YES.

Once the program loads you should be looking at a box that has the title "DirectX Diagnostic Tool". Click the DISPLAY tab (it should be the 3rd tab over from the left).

Slightly past the middle of the box, to the left, there should be a button that has text to the left of it which reads "DirectDraw Acceleration". The text on that button should read "Enabled". Click that button. All three buttons that are present should now read "Disabled" and the bottom two should be grayed out (they cannot be clicked).

Now click the EXIT button in the lower right hand corner of the box.

The flickering that was previously present when playing an Amaranth Games title in full screen mode should now be gone.

Once you have completed a gaming session with the affected title you will want to follow the procedures above and click the same button mentioned again. This time all three buttons that are present should read "Enabled" and the lower two buttons should no longer be grayed out (they are clickable again).

You will need to repeat the above procedure every time you want to play the affected Amaranth Games title. There is no permanent method currently known to correct this issue.

If none of the above was helpful, please start a New Topic concerning your problem and hopefully the greater Amaranth Games community will be able to help you solve the issue you are experiencing.

Please do not reply to this thread with the problem you are experiencing.

from Failed to initialize DirectX Audio:

Have you attempted to troubleshoot your DirectX installation using the Direct X Troubleshooter? If not, do this:

Open a Run dialog box, and enter, dxdiag and hit OK or Enter.

This opens the Direct X Troubleshooter. If you are using Vista, the Run box is not on the Start menu by default. If you want to place the Run dialog box on the Start menu right click the Start Orb, and select Properties. On the Properties dialog box, click the Start Menu tab if it is not selected, then click Customize button. On the Advanced tab scroll down the list and place a check mark in front of Run dialog box and then click Ok, and then OK again. The Run dialog box is now displayed on your Start Menu.

However, you can locate the Direct X Troubleshooter by typing dxdiag in the Start menu Search box, then click on that in the programs list. If you need to, right click and select Elevate and enter any password if required.

When the Direct X Troubleshooter opens, you can click on the Sound or Audio tab, and perform any of the tests it has on that page, or you can run through each page in order by clicking Next Page at the bottom of each one, beginning with the System tab.

Make sure you place a check mark in the box on the bottom of the System tab in front of Check for WHQL digital signatures, as this runs a check to ensure all are digitally signed and compatible with your OS.

I have Windows 10, and all of my drivers have been updated recently. I'm trying to play Aveyond 4, but many times when I try to change the screen resolution to fullscreen, it does change, but then it automatically minimizes the window. So I click on it, it's full screen for a few seconds, and then it automatically minimizes the window (so it's on the toolbar but not on the screen--very difficult to play the game that way).

Sometimes, if I keep clicking, it will eventually go fullscreen and stay that way, so I've been playing. But the game just crashed on my way to Wildwood. And when I restarted, the minimizing started happening again. So far, I haven't been able to get it back to fullscreen,

I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!

Magpie

Magpie, I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue. Noticed that you still haven't gotten an answer here, though. I can't help you fix any technical issues, but johnwizard might be able to help you! Try shooting him a private message with your question.

Could you try hitting alt+enter to change from windowed mode to fullscreen, instead of using the Options command? I don't know if/why it would make a difference, but it's worth a shot.

Hello,

I want to report a bug in Aveyond 4 Shadow of the Mist.

It happened when I tried to brew calming recipe. Everytime I click tentacle as the secret ingredient, the game stopped (but the music still on). I must restart the game by using alt+control+del

I saved my game in several files. So I tried to do side tasks and then tried to brew the calming recipe again. But the same thing happened.

I'd really appreciate your help.

Thank you very much in advance