Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Quagthistle

Can't Move Character in Aveyond 2 or 3 (Keyboard)

For some strange reason, I can't play Aveyond since getting my new Vista computer a few months ago. It always thinks that my up arrow key is pressed, making my character impossible to control. I did a lot of forum searching here and found that thread #2673 said doing a windows update and restarting might solve the problem. I did so, but it had no effect. I've tried setting Aveyond 2 to compatibility mode, but you can't when you've downloaded the game from Big Fish (at least, you can't by any means that I could find). The Aveyond.exe doesn't exist, so there's no way to use compatibility mode. You can use it on the RGSS file, but there are no "advanced text services" for that file. I know the key isn't really stuck (as I never have problems with the up arrow key any other time).

Also, as mentioned in thread #2673, my sound card drivers are Creative SB X-Fi version 6.0.1.1321.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

~Quag

PS: Please don't refer me to thread #2673, as I have read it in it's entirety. It hasn't helped my problem at all, I'm sorry to say.

is your mouse plugged directly into your PC using a USB connection? That seems to be a common cause of this issue.

Big Fish still has a game executable, but it's not called Aveyond.exe or Game.exe - just look in the installation folder and check what exe files are there. One of them will be the game file.

No, my mouse is not USB. It connects into the port next to the keyboard, just like an ordinary mouse. On my old computer (the XP computer on which Aveyond always ran perfectly well), the mouse was USB, though.

Yes, the game has an executable file (called LaunchGame), however, it's properties do not include a "compatibility" tab. The "RGSS" file (called mrtbglc) does have compatibility settings in it's properties, however, "advanced text services" is not one of those settings (nor is "advanced text services" found in the compatibility tab of the BFG client executable file). Setting the "RGSS" file to run in XP compatibility mode does not help. As for the BFG client itself, it is already set to run in XP compatibility mode (for other games).

I'm just not sure what else to try. Any help would be appreciated.

~Quag

Do you have a USB mouse that you can try? The type of connection has caused this exact problem for some people, and switching to a USB mouse has solved it. That's all I can suggest.

It is hard to get Windows Vista to actually show all files and file extensions. Nevertheless, I did finally find the Aveyond .exe file in the folder. Still, it doesn't have any options for "advanced text services", and changing it to Windows XP compatibility mode doesn't help at all, I'm sorry to say.

BTW: The compatibility options are: "Run in 256 colors", "Run in 640x480 screen resolution", "Disable Visual Themes", "Disable Desktop Composition", "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings", and "Run this program as an administrator".

No, my keyboard doesn't use USB either. I've never seen a keyboard that does. Setting up a USB mouse on this PC would be rather difficult and may introduce far more problems than it solves. I am, after all, wrestling with Vista, and the last thing I want to do is permanently mess up it's mouse drivers or deal with any other weird thing it may do. Besides, you said that a USB mouse is a common cause of the problem, and since I already have the problem, causing it wouldn't seem productive.

Also, my keyboard and mouse are both from the US (and I am located in the US), so it's not a foreign hardware problem.

I'm confused as to what could be causing this. I've never had keyboard or mouse problems on any other Big Fish or WildTangent game. Does anyone have any other ideas? This is the third day I've been trying to get these to run, so anything helpful would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

~Quag

Quag:

You say you've never seen a mouse or keyboard with a USB connection? Almost ALL of them nowadays are USB, unless they are wireless. And, unless they are BlueTooth, I think all wireless ones have a USB component.

Also, in her second post Shaz said switching to a USB mouse usually fixed the problem. Her first post said the type of connection (not a USB one) often caused it.

I have a Vista laptop, and switch mice on it from wireless to a USB travel mouse all the time. I do usually have to reset the BlueToooth when I switch back to it, but there is no loading of drivers, etc.

PS/2 mice and keyboards seems to be what are causing the problem. You can identify a PS/2 mouse or keyboard as having a small round plug, the last versions of PS/2 mice and keyboards usually had Green and Purple plugs respectively.

Apparently the default PS/2 drivers in XP and Vista just don't like how RMXP handles input with these devices.

I've never seen a USB keyboard, but, as I said, I've had a USB mouse on a previous computer. It's actually somewhat hard to find a non-USB mouse these days. Unfortunately, I've had ridiculous amounts of trouble with USB mice, which is why I'm so glad my new computer came with an optical PS/2 version. On my old computer it was always a dice roll whether the USB mouse would be recognized at all, and reloading the driver CD several times never did fix it. In the end, I just had to have two mice set up all the time, one USB and one PS/2. Usually, on any given boot, the computer would recognize at least one of them. Understandably, I don't want to introduce that world of problems to my new PC only a few months after I got it, and I lack the technical expertise to fix the problem if it should crop up again.

If I understand what you're saying, I'd have to find a USB keyboard and a USB mouse. Putting aside the whole mouse problem, I've never even heard of a USB keyboard. Switching to a USB version of both of those would use up almost all of my remaining USB ports, and, as my computer is a desktop, it's not easy to access the back of the computer. Switching out the USB versions for their PS/2 counterparts all the time (to free up my USB ports) just to play a single game, even one as nice as Aveyond, is just far too much expence, difficulty, and danger to my machine to attempt this fix. I'm sorry.

Perhaps someday there will be a patch that fixes the issue, but I guess until then, I'll just have to wait to play Aveyond. Incidentally, though, a whole aweful lot of people have Vista computers and PS/2 mouse and keyboard set-ups. Those are, after all, standard on almost every new PC. If I'm having this problem, then a lot of other people must also be having the same difficulty, and you can't expect every single one of them to buy a new mouse and keyboard (a minimum of a $25 expense) to play a single $7 game, no matter how good that $7 game may be. There has to be some way to fix the input handling software problem without losing all of the business from people who have bought a new PC from HP, Dell, Gateway, or a chain store like Walmart in the last year or so.

Thanks anyway, and here's to hoping the input problem gets fixed someday.

~Quag

PS: I'm no expert, but maybe an upgrade from RMXP (RPG Maker XP) to RPG Maker VX would solve this issue? Just a thought.

Quag:

Actually, thankfully, very few people have the problem.

Have you considered using a gamepad or joystick? I haven't tried either, but some others play with them. I'm really sorry you're experiencing it, and wish we could solve it for you.

BTW, I play all the Aveyond games on my laptop often with a USB mouse, with no problems at all. Hmmm ... just wondering .. if you do have a gamepad or joystick attached, would you please try playing with both disconnected. I remember some people had problems with the earlier Aveyonds because of the games using the joystick input instead of the keyboard.

Actually, these days, PS/2 ports are fairly uncommon, approaching rare. They are classified as legacy connectors. Laptops no longer have PS/2 ports and typically haven't since Vista came out about 3 years ago. I can't remember the last time I saw a new desktop that had them either.

All the systems and keyboards/mice I see these days that have PS/2 connectors are typically at least 6-10 years old. I set one up the other day that had them, but that system was from the last century.

Actually, my new, top of the line HP Pavilion Elite d5200t ATX machine came with both PS/2 ports and a PS/2 mouse and keyboard. Every new computer I've seen comes with the ports and, unless you buy some fancy gaming mouse or keyboard, Ps/2 versions of both. I've never even heard of a desktop computer that didn't have PS/2 ports. They still seem to be standard on Dell computers and eMachines, too. (My parents ordered a brand new Dell just a few months before I got mine, and a friend got a new eMachine from Walmart around the same time. Both came with PS/2 conectors and keyboards/mice.) I don't know about custom built models, though, as no one custom builds computers around here.

As for a joystick or gamepad, I don't have any that plug into the computer (just ones that plug into my PS2, Game Cube, or Wii). I'd try one if I had one, but unfortunately I don't.

If I ever get a laptop with a USB mouse (or if I ever have to replace my current mouse), I'll make sure I try Aveyond again. It's a shame that such a seemingly simple software problem can't be fixed. I know Vista is generally a tad buggy, but still, it just seems that there should be some way to tell the software not to do what it's doing. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about it to suggest how that might be done.

I've spent the last two hours looking up info about Windows Vista and Advanced Text Services (which causes problems with some other games, too). Apparently Microsoft decided that users didn't need to be able to turn off Advanced Text Services in Windows Vista. I couldn't find anything about fixing problems running an RMXP program in Vista either. I tried switching to Win98 compatibility mode, but that merely made the game not even load. I guess it's just a problem that those of us who buy a new computer but no fancy gaming mouse or keyboard will have to live with.

Thanks for trying, though.

~Quag

Quag, my Vista computer is only a few months old, and it has no problem at all, but then, it doesn't have any option for a Ps/2 mouse or keyboard.

I surely wish you could get it to work.

We should consider having someone that has a PS/2 mouse & keyboard and is experiencing this problem run some tests.

Have them enter the game, and when the problem appears, have them disconnect their keyboard and see if that stops the problem. If that doesn't work, have them plug the keyboard back in, reboot, open the game again, wait for the problem to appear, and have them disconnect the mouse instead. If that doesn't stop the problem have them subsequently disconnect the keyboard at that time as well.

If it continues after both peripherals are disconnected then we are looking at a very strange software problem that has nothing to do with the actual hardware except that its presence acts as a catalyst.

I wish I had a system that experienced this problem to test with. A couple of hours of detailed investigation and I'm sure I could pin it down.

Hi,

I'm suddenly having the same problem (well, actually it wont recognize my right arrow key, then when I did the re-start it also made Mel go left constantly. I cant move her up and down but she goes left no matter what and never right). For the first few seconds of game play it was fine. This just started with Gates of the Night which I just bought. I've played all the Aveyond games on this computer (recently re-played 2 after finishing Lord of Twilight and waiting for this one.) I opened 2 just now to see if was a problem with the game or with me and its doing the same thing there. Nothing has changed in my system that I know of and all my updates are installed.

I have the build where I can't use my mouse either. I've read the other forums Quag said and tried what you guys have mentioned but still hope for any suggestions (will unplug keyboard and mouse too). I run Vista on a Dell and keyboard and mouse plug in normally. I'm very curious as to why I could play just a few weeks ago and now this problem in Aveyond (I did a test in other games and programs and its not my actually keys, just fyi.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions. Have been waiting anxiously to play this, and now *sob* I can't.

-Stormie

stormie, there are other threads where people have talked about mouse keys getting stuck. Did you do a search through those? One in particular has a few other things to try - adjusting game settings on Vista. That seems to have solved a lot of similar problems.

Here you go - check this thread, and try changing some of the settings suggested here.

http://www.amaranthia.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2673&forum=24

Hey I installed the game on my computer. It's vista and I'm having the same problem with my character not moving and I tried unplugging my mouse which is USB and that did not work so I restarted and than unplugged my keyboard which is not USB and it still did not work. Any suggestions?

There are many suggestions for this problem. You should take a look through some of the topics to find others with similar problems (I could search through and give you links, but it'd be just as easy for you to do it yourself ;))

Edit - oh, there's the link, in the post right before yours. Have you tried any of those things? There are several suggestions other than just unplugging/replugging.

MagiMagus:

This probably isn't your problem, but it has been for a few other people. so i thought I'd mention it. Make sure you have no joystick or game pad connected. Sometimes they override the mouse/keyboard in RM games.

Hi, I know this thread is old but I just wanted to let the developers and others know that having your keyboard and/or mouse hooked up via a PS/2 to USB adapter like this is definitely one of the things that can cause this problem. I have one and I've seen some other people in this thread and this other one mention that they do as well, so I think that must be the common thread (one of them anyway...maybe Vista is causing problems on its own, but I'm using XP) and the reason why the problem is so rare that you've been unable to reproduce it.

I encountered this in Aveyond 1 but was able to finish the game (generally with each new reboot I could get a good 20-30 minutes of playing time before the bug kicked in). Last night I was actually playing the BFG demo of Ella's Hope, which I know isn't even one of your games but it was obviously built using the same...whaddyacallit...engine? :) Anyway, the bug started happening in that game so I closed it and opened up The Lost Orb, which I already had downloaded and paid for, and yup, same problem there. Unfortunately I only have a PS/2 keyboard (which I like and don't want to replace!) and my CPU only has USB connections, but maybe this could help other people who encounter the bug.

I'd like to add that I have been running a USB mouse for a long time now (but the keyboard is still PS2, as I'm cheap). None of the RPG-Maker games work now (not even the first and second Aveyond games, which I've played before).

As to these threads people keep spamming on this board that supposedly help with the problem, honestly, and I mean no offence here, but do you think we'd be posting if we hadn't already tried those things? When people request "any suggestions", they don't mean "give me a link to stuff I've already tried that does not help". I would love to play Amaranth's games, but as far as I can tell from the responces here, the only solution is wait until I buy a new computer in several more years (though the possibility exists of the same problem occuring).

As to this happening to "very few users", actually, I suspect that it happens to quite a few, if posts on other forums are any indication, and many of them seem convinced that you guys are aware of the problem and refuse to offer anything helpful to fix it. I personally think that you guys simply don't know how to fix it and think it occurs with very few users because many of them either don't bother trying to fix it or give up after finding threads like this where no useful help is given (other than referring users back to threads full of suggestions they've already tried to no avail).

If there is a solution to these movement issues that render unplayable all the RPG-Maker games (both by Amaranth and other developers), then I would love to hear it, but referring users to same threads over and over again (threads that do absolutely nothing to solve the problem) only frustrates those of us who can't play your games. Aren't we already frustrated enough? I've been waiting over a year and half for a useful suggestion to fix these issues. I think that qualifies as frustrated.

~Quag

I was just wondering if anyone had found a solution to this problem with the not being able to walk down or right.

I have been having this problem for about 2 years on my desktop (which has a USB mouse and keyboard, and no other peripherials attached) and am forced to play the Aveyond games on my husbands old laptop. The laptop now has an overheating problem and I really really want to play the new game, when it comes out, and previous games (which were amazing btw).