Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
shaz

Gates of Night - PATCHES (for build A ONLY)

Oops! Got yourself into a sticky situation? Game crashed? Check here, to see if we've got a fix.

To apply a patch, download the appropriate file from the bottom of this post. Unzip the files, and follow the steps in the Instructions.txt file to apply the patch. Then play your game.

Patch #1: Get Back Into ORC PRISON

If you got thrown into the Orc Prison, then used your compass or red warp egg to get out, and now you can't get back IN again - use the Gates Of Night - Prison Compass patch.

Patch #2: Get Back to the AVEYOND PORTAL

If you spent the snowstorm in a cave in Istir Forest, then used your compass or red warp egg instead of going straight to Aveyond to see the Oracle, and now you can't get back to the Aveyond porta - use the Gates Of Night - Aveyond Compass patch.

Patch #3: MEDUSA CRASH

If your game crashed after you fought Medusa, use the Gates Of Night - Medusa Crash patch.

Prison compass

Medusa crash

Aveyond compass

Edited by tiniponi
adding links

I used the compass to leave Istir Forest and could not get back to the Aveyond portal. Installing the patch did not solve my problem, I am stuck at the log and am just not getting Edward's message. I also cannot use my compass. I saved my data, reinstalled the game and the problem persists.

Can you leave Istir Forest, save and exit the game, install the patch (make sure it's the Aveyond Compass patch and not the others - though you could install all three if you like), play the game and go back to the forest.

Did you check the dates on the two files to make sure they were correctly replaced?

If this doesn't work, could you please email your saved game as an attachment to me at shaz@amaranthia.com so I can take a look at it?

I went back to a later save and saved over my corrupt slot. Sorry.

Just FYI, I checked and double-checked the install and the patch install, making sure it was the right folder and reapplied the patch by replacing the files, not renaming them and even uninstalled and reintalled the game half a dozen times. I even went and downloaded a trial version to see if it was just my .exe--same issue so I think my save was just corrupt somehow. I went back to an earlier save and had no problems getting past that point.

And I did try saving from other locations and returning, I tried engaging monsters and seeing how it would affect the change, anything I could think of.

You're right - there was still a problem. I'm very sorry about that. It's been fixed, and the patch file has been replaced. Please download and install the patch again, and let me know if it works ok this time. Thanks for being so patient.

It's not true :D

People have had the game crash when they haven't killed Edward, and others have killed Edward and the game hasn't crashed.

It's actually due to some of the actions you take in battle. I'm assuming either the patch hasn't been installed properly, or there's yet ANOTHER cause that I haven't picked up yet.

econjen, it would be incredibly helpful if you could do a couple of things for me, if you are comfortable with navigating the file system and locating some save files for me.

I would love to get a copy of your save file immediately before the battle begins, and another immediately after the battle is over, if you are able to call up the save screen and save it in a different slot. You can find the location of your save files in the Gates of Night Guides/Maps pinned topic. I would also like to get a copy of one of the files in the game's install directory - if you can locate where your game is installed, and go to the Data folder, I'd like a copy of the Map023.rxdata file.

If you are able to attach these three files to an email message and send to me at shaz@amaranthia.com this will be very helpful in determining if there is yet another cause that my previous fix hasn't addressed. :)

econjen wrote:

Oooo....after sending shaz the email I decided to also try aislingyngaio's advice. I didn't kill Edward and no crash! Thanks for the help.

I can just picture aisling's grin now. :D

Note, these bugs have been fixed in build B which is now available for download. If you are having problems AND you are playing build B, do not install these patches, but rather post a new bug report and we'll look into it.

Tracygrrl, there is no need to post crashes in more than one place. Shaz told you in the other topic that you need to reinstall the game, and then all should be fine. (And as she says, you should head back to Sky Garden ... there is something very helpful there. :D )

aislingyngaio: tini, tracy actually posted here first, then posted in a new topic when I told her to. :)