Aveyond Studios Community
Hui

Where are you from?

I live in the USA, in the grand ol' state of Maine.

I live in northern Maine, which very different from southern Maine-- northern Maine is very rural, and you are lucky if you only have to go a town or two over to pick up your groceries. I went to high school with about 250 other students- from five different towns, some students traveling an hour and a half to get to school.

Our third largest city, and the one closest to me, is Bangor, with a population of 31,473 (at the 2000 census.) To go to the movies (day show) and get a drink and popcorn is about $10. Yay for cheap movies!

Our largest city is Portland, on the southern coast of Maine. Not surprisingly, our most populous cities are on the coast or major waterways. For a very long time, the rivers were used by loggers, and the main recipients of the wood were the ship builders.

If you live in Maine, and aren't 'from away', then you are a 'Mainer' (correctly pronounced 'Maine-ah'.) Some famous Mainers: Howie Day, Patrick Dempsey, Judd Nelson, and Stephen King.

Maine is probably best known for it's 'Downeast' accent and lobsters (lobstahs). The Downeast accent basically is that any 'r' that is not in the beginning of a word is replaced with 'ah'. A classic example: "Go pahk yo'ah cah in the do'ah yah'd." Aye-yuh!

Maine doesn't have just four seasons- we have two more in addition to Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. The two additional seasons? 'Mud' (falling in the first have of spring, as the snow melts) and 'Huntin'' (Note, it is not hunting, but huntin'.) It isn't uncommon to miss school to go hunting. Or to miss school because someone in your family shot something... And it isn't always legal. In Maine, the Game Wardens are feared more then the police.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Uh-oh, it seems I've rambled. I'll, uh, stop now.[/color]

I hail from India and that too from the most beautiful place in India (atleast from MPOV).

Shimla, originally called Simla, is the capital city of Himachal Pradesh. A popular tourist destination, Shimla is often referred to as the "Queen of Hills" (a term coined by the British). Located in the north-west Himalayas at an altitude of 2,128 metres (6,982 ft), the city of Shimla, draped in forests of pine, rhododendron, and oak, experiences pleasant summers and cold, snowy winters. The city is famous for its buildings styled in tudorbethan and neo-gothic architecture dating from the colonial era.

The highest point in Shimla, at 2454 meters (8051 ft), is the Jakhoo hill. Shimla is a Zone IV (High Damage Risk Zone) per the Earthquake hazard zoning of India. Weak construction techniques and increasing population pose a serious threat to the already earthquake prone region. There are no bodies of water near the main city and the closest river, Sutlej, is about 21 km (13 miles) away.

Hello D.A.T and thha_luth, its very hot here at the moment, I am from Sydney, but the beaches are great and it is definitely the right time for that. Its funny a lot of people equate Christmas as being cold but for us and our neighbours its a different story. Hope you are all well, its nice chatting to people from around the world. :)

hi Mysterious! :D

:welcome:

from India?

wow..

hi too, Robm!

In Sydney is hot?

in Indonesia now it's cold and extremely cold!

because my city is surrounded by mountains and now it has rain season. :(

Miiriam92 wrote:

I don't know, it's kind of boring to be honest :D

I at least partly agree with you. It's just a tiny country, utterly flat, too crowded (everyone is always in such a hurry) and where it rains too much. :P But on the other hand, it's not all that bad, it's still home. ;)