Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheFool

Dreams - Newsletter

Though I am actually loathe to quote Shakespeare as many times as I have, this fool knows a good story when he hears one. Life is but what dreams are made. Our hopes and dreams define who we are, though they may be quite foolish. Cute Knight is the kind of game that reminds us of why we live, why we suffer through the tedium of gaining skill, meeting people, and all the little things that occupy most of our time. They lead us ever forward towards our dreams.

Along the way, sometimes these dreams are forgotten or lost. When we are young we are full of hope and aspiration. At times, little by little, failure and hardship chip away at those hopes and make us lose track. Other times we find that our hopes and dreams change as we gain knowledge and experience.

So tell me, good citizens of Amaranthia: When you were young, what were your dreams? Are you still working towards them? Did your goals change? Did you achieve them already?

Before I don't know what are my aims, that's way back my elementary days..

One day our teacher asks every student to recite what are their goals in life, and I had nothing on my mind! I think and think.. and yet nothing comes until I'm the one who's at the front. For about seconds I mini mini my ni mo and picked being a dentist.

I hold into that goal till the 7th grade, but soon I realized that it's not the ideal profession for me.

I had this dream when I was flying up in space. I think that time, I had the strangest liking to the solar system. During those times, I wished and dreamed to be an astronaut.

When I was in high school I wanted to be and architect. I love drawing and designing things. Now I design fence. I have made designs for my husband for baseball diamonds and different fence jobs we do.

I know it is far from designing buildings but I feel my project turn out very good.

I also design jewelry which I sell at craft bazaars.

Before I left elementary school I knew I was going to be a veterinarian. 10 years ago, I achieved that goal. It's all I ever wanted to be---helping animals live better lives with their humans, saving lives of our animal companions. It's the most rewarding thing I have done so far

When I was young, I so wanted to turn into a mermaid. I used to sit on my bed or any of the sofas & pretend like I am a captured mermaid imprisoned in a tank & waiting for her prince to save her. :lol:

Also at a time, I wanted to be professional at all the various kinds of jobs. I'll be a doctor on Monday, an engineer on Tuesday, a detective on Wednesday, a pharmacist on Thursday & a teacher on Friday. How hard could it be? Just a couple of math theories, a lil bit scientific terms & maybe a lil about every profession & that's it. The easiest option if you don't know what exactly you wanna be when you grow up. :D

I used to dream about beating up bad guys like Xena/spiderman/batman/etc.

Now? It sucked to learn that there are plenty of bad guys you can't beat up because you're powerless.

Don't have much realistic dreams anymore.

My dreams are fairly simple and normal, I should say. I've never dreamed of being a hero myself. I work towards being useful to someone who also might want to support me. Towards having that little cosy corner of the world of my own.

I work towards being a good translator (this dream has not changed since childhood. I loved learning English and put a lot of effort in order to master it. I knew what I wanted. I am a translator now but I can be better) and maybe a writer. I work towards being a literary scholar since that is what I'm good at and which I can enjoy if I have the freedom to chose the subject of my study. I work towards being given chances and realising them efficiently.

Once upon a time, my mom was a teacher's aide, and that was what I wanted to be. Then I got to middle school and discovered how short my temper is. So that was out.

I've always wanted to be a writer, though. I will be completing my first novel-length story any day now (thank you NaNoWriMo), so that's a start. I've always loved reading, and I'm not bad with ideas for stories either. Just have to work on characterization and, you know, making my writing better in general. :)

When we were young? Alot of us are young! :D

This is one of the things that haunt me. I thought I wanted to be a Botanical Chemist(take stuff from plants, mix them, see what happens XP), although I also wanted to be able to provide very well to my kids when I have them, so that pertty much crept down the drain cuz that really doesn't pay well, and, frankly, the idea lost its spark.

I still have no clue what I want to be when I grow up, and I'll just be plain freaking out if I don't figure it out before 10th grade.

My parents and best friends all think I'll be a writer(you shall meet your match, Rena! :D), though the career seems too slow for me. A part of my personality doesn't fit well with it.

Although if the mood strikes, I can write for very long and very well. And maybe I'll write something someday, but I'll doubt that it ever becomes my main profession.

In four years, I haven't gone more than 6 days exactly without a book I'm reading, and my reading level is almost at a college professor's, and I'm proud of it, but everyone seems to think that it contributes to the writing career.

Maybe I'll work in the writing industry, althoguh if I do, it'll be editing or something like that. If I can't write a long volume of a story, I can, certainly and without a doubt, enhance it greatly.

To me, it's amazing how some little kids know what they'll want to do for the rest of thier lives. Stunning.

@KTC: Have you considered law enforcement? It's similar.

@goldie: considered, but ultimately decided it wasn't for me. My beliefs and parts of my personality conflict with a lot of things concerning law enforcement that it would end pretty bad.

Right now, I'm just binding my time until something comes along or I get motivated to do something.

i've been going back and forth between forensics of some variety and game design. i owe that one to amaranth games XD

when i was really little, i wanted to be a firefighter. now, being it that i'm afraid of fire, that's definitely out of the question XD

not too long ago, when someone had to be lifestar-ed out of my school, i thought again about becoming an EMT. medicine doesn't sound like fun to me (kind of gross, actually XP) but i want to help people. which i probably why i horribly abuse my characters in stories, games, RPs, etc.--simply so i can save them and make myself feel all warm and fuzzy inside XD

forensics would pay better than game design, i'm inclined to think, and some days i just hit a brick wall and can't write, draw or come up with a good story. i'm there now--i'm inches away from a demo of my game, but i can't work on it. but again with the grossness factor--i'd have to do computer forensics, or ballistics, or something like that. corpses and i--no thanks XD

but i have to decide soon, because i'm being badgered to look at colleges >.< i don't even know what i want to do--how do i go about choosing a college!?

I've always wanted to be a manga artist, actress or a voice actress. Too bad there's no way my parents would allow me.

@kirroha: well for the manga artist part: you could draw manga and post it on the net. Can't say much about the actress/voice actress except you can always sneak in a few courses under the guise of 'general education requirements' <.< >.>

But I get what ya mean by parents wouldn't allow ya to do stuff. Had a huge argument with my parents a few years back about what I want versus what they want careerwise. It didn't end pretty and I'm still pretty bitter about it.

For all you collegiate hopefuls, some non-foolish advice.

You don't have to decide what you want to do before you go to college. You'll spend 1-2 years doing pre-reqs for general education anyway (In the US at least). I changed my major 6 times!

Software Engineering

Computer Science

Mass Media

Economics

General Business

Marketing

Mind you the last 3 were nearly identical so I didn't end up losing any credits :)

Just go with it and get to college and start focusing on what you want to do anyway. No need to argue with mom and dad, take the classes you need, take some extra classes you want, see if your "dream" job is really what you want. If it is... switch majors at the last second and surprise mom and dad! ;) You may find it isn't what you thought it would be... and I am glad I didn't become a software engineer, journalist, or economist. Marketing was NOT my dream job in high school :) It is now though.

I have many talents and interests that I'm trying to get out there slowly but surely. More recently is the game development and manga drawing and illustration. I'd like to try and have some of these things coincide with each other (like drawing a manga based on a game I develop).

In college, I changed my major once to a less math-focused computer science major (since I'm horrible at math, but ironically, I love programming) @_@

@thefool: I wouldn't recommend going to college and start trying out courses without a major in mind if you're going for a science (molecular cell and development, biochemistry, chemistry, physics, biology, etc.) major which have a LOT of requirements to follow through. Unless you want to hang for another year past the 'required' 4 years, you need to start in science courses immediately or pretty much get swamped with too many upper div courses to finish during 3rd/4th year. (here, if you start early, you should only be doing maybe 1-2 upper divs per quarter. if you start late, you absolutely need to do 3-4 upper divs per quarter which is very hard and there's no guarantee you'll finish on time anyway.) The lower division requirements alone are brutal (physics for example will NOT let you continue going for the major if you fail even one of their classes. and their lower div courses is suicide) and consume most of one's time during 1st/2nd year.

Some majors are easier like anthropology and you can slide with starting/switching into it late. But science majors? unless you're switching into similar science majors, you're gonna find you are way behind and will probably be held back a year which, in these money crunching times, is a really bad thing.

Can't belive TheFool changed his major 6 times. Geez.

Although yes, we'll learn one day what we want to be for the rest of our lives(or something like that :D). I'm participating in a program that helps 5th graders think of something to focus on; not a job, just the field. Not a botanical chemist or a geologist, just science. That helps the little kids and me decide. :)

Well, I can't argue with facts, but even a biochemist has pre-reqs outside chemistry to take. I'm just saying that the first year of college is mostly pre-req classes no matter what major, so you don't have to decide the moment you send your application :)

Certainly some majors are more intense than others, but if you set your mind to it I am sure anyone can overcome the hurdles that stand in your way, even if you end up a few classes behind.

Afterall, that is what summer is for! Heck, I worked two jobs, went to summer classes, and helped raise my daughter my junior and senior year... its quite possible as long as you really love what you're doing.

summer: not really during this time, what with tuition increases (32% by next year I think) and the general class cuts. Some classes are really bad as they only offer it every other year. Also, some majors are extremely anal: Physics majors need to finish in 4 years as the physics department doesn't accept 5th years for majors.

And course the system makes it such a ***** to transfer courses from community/other schools, or they get really anal and decide it wasn't equivalent. *bangs head*

Financial aid is like trying to pull teeth out of the government. middle class=too rich and not poor enough=a big screw you middle class.

I know one of the UC schools makes it very hard to switch majors once you've chosen.

So going without a plan if your considering a science major? Bad idea, very bad.

I know, it’s so sad what's happening with the economy and tuition costs. My generations gonna have to pay off a heck of a lot money. Although if I or any of my friends end up going for a science major, it'll be planned out real well.

And pre-requirements, from the research I've done for college, will be a pain, though depending on the major, might be easier than the actual course.

My brother's in college; he took a few courses, and found his computer science course too hard with his other classes, discontinued it at the end of the course, then took another college accounting course instead. So I know that the direction of where you're going can change. Also, I have a weird way of thinking about that kind of stuff, though it's a better, more comprehendible way of thinking, too.

Anyway, back on topic, all I know is that I'm dead-set on one very general field: research. I hope to work in a lab, be a kind of scientist, and learn more and more about the world. (Though not through excavation; that's just destroying natural history.) What kind of scientist, I'm not sure. Hopefully botanical-related, though. (Again, taking stuff from two plants, mixing them together, seeing what happens XP) I want to discover if one particular element of a certain plant can heal or improve a human-based disease, stuff like that. And I'm a shoo-in for gifted science class, too, so grades aren't a problem. I get A's in science, one after the other. And math is a strong area of mine, too, so equations aren't a problem, either. And, what makes me most qualified: I love lab coats. :D:P

@TheFool: Biochemistry is nowhere near what intrests me. I think the total times I've had to run to the bathroom to throw up in biology class is 12. I'm good in the class, though I hate studying that. Especially the digitally-created images in textbooks; who needs to know how translucent and spidey-looking your lungs are? (All the bluish veins on a grossly pink surface) For this reason, my bio teacher pretty much hates me. :P:(

Though It's good to know that the major isn't immediatley required of you. :)