Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kinnison

Stressed and Clueless

This is actually my first post since my inactivity (or whatever word that is suitable) for about two months.

(Long story, if you do not wish to read all please skip after the beep. *beep*)

Despite not being able to come here often, I'm still actually active (Yea xD). It is just that I'm stuck to my studies and hence could not come online.

Yea, so I came here to post this so I could de-stress/relax (Not distress please, I'm no maiden).

Recently, I'm stuck with this problem of verifying the SMTP for my website designing assignment. My lecturer was half cruel I have to admit, she left all of us (the whole class) to figure out how do we do that by ourselves and she just told us what do we need to do.

Right now, I'm done with connecting the registration page to my database. It works, however right now the only problem left is that it couldn't send a mail to the email I've entered in the page.

(This is actually a half-rant + half-help needed topic)

I assumed that Amanda should know something about setting up SMTP since this entire website is built on PHP (you can tell that by looking at the ".php" extension behind each URL).

In case you don't know what is SMTP, it's Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. Like for example, when you register an account you are sent an email to verify that account. Yes, that's what I actually wanted to accomplish right now.

Anyone are free to leave comments to cheer me up or help me with this. xD

PS: This error is getting old already.

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, 
verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() 
in C:\Program Files\EasyPHP5.3.0\www\novelia_files\verify.php on line 50

Yea I've been told about the mail server and the php.ini but I have no idea how to work with them.

I have the php.ini configured with this on easyPHP:

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
; http://php.net/smtp
SMTP = localhost
; http://php.net/smtp-port
smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
; http://php.net/sendmail-from
sendmail_from = cheah_philip@yahoo.com

As for the mail server, I have no idea which one to use and how to use it. I've checked countless webpage though, none of them explained this in detail. My lecturer never recommended any mailserver either.