Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheFool

Bigger, Better, Faster... (Newsletter)

With over 100+ hrs of play Asguaard clocks in at a ... well... substantial game.

Is it a foolish idea to make such large games? Do you prefer the standard "40 hour RPG?" Have you taken a shine to our bite size RPG at $10 and ~15 hours? Are you just waiting for the first RPG to clock in at 250 hours?

Does the length of the game even matter to you?

Tell this fool what you think!

(Personally I admit to a sick fascination and sense of achivement with beating an extremely long RPG... but typically I am DAMN BORED OF IT by about 30 hours in; yet I recall putting 63 hours into Skies of Arcadia despite being bored of it by the end. That was a great RPG though!)

I understand the bite size games but they finish so quickly, I get sucked in and I'm done in a week at most. but I love the longer ones, I always try to do all the quests and explore everywhere to make the 40 hr ones last as long as I can. 100 hrs sounds great. I can't even imagine a 250 hr game, it would almost be like an online game in length, it would have to have a really good story to keep me going though. Plot twists or variable endings depending on what you choose are nice. I love the Aveyond games (they were my first) but 3 Stars of Destiny is dragging for me and I wish I could go back to finish quests I didn't finish or find more secret rooms.

In the end though if it has a great story I don't care about how long it is, even a short game drags on if it does not play well or has a poor story line.

Playing Asguaard is a wonderful game. Although, it is too long and too darn complicated! My feeling about a RPG game or any game for that matter should be one you enjoy and play for the enjoyment of the game. This game has some screw ball things that you can lose your mind Playing it! A game of 40-60 hrs is more than enough & should be played for fun! I have played this and got to the Center of the World Of Asguaard with my balloon. If you like an excellent game that is expensive,complicated & very long, this is a game you will enjoy! But if you play the game, be prepared to fight every to-three steps you move. You will fight everything from flowers to nuts. It is definitly TOO long of a game!!! brain162

<>

For the sake of truth....

You can pick Story Mode in Asguaard which allows you to fight every 50-80 (averagely) steps (50 being the absolute minimum).

Even in "Maniac" mode there is I think a minimum of 10 steps - so please, stick to the truth, a fight every 3 steps is just impossible.

Here goes (Story Mode is not shown here)

ratep.jpg

For anyone who liked 3 Stars it is highly recommended. ^^

As for me and to stick on the topic, well, I've always deeply loved really long games. :)

I hit 250 hours with Final Fantasy XII (this is all side quests/optional bosses completed). I'll admit I did need to go on a little hiatus after 150 hours or so, since the game just wasn't holding my attention anymore. I took a few months off and then came back renewed and refreshed.

So, very long games are great, but you'll probably need a break. :)

If the game is good than I really don't care about the length. Epically long games are only good if they have quality. If they don't, than its just tedious.

I also purposely try to avoid long games right now because I have school. When I play games I tend to play obsessively neglecting my studies which obviously is very bad.

I prefer the average sized games, and the Aveyond series gave me what I wanted. The choices I wanted as far as Levels, and Armor and Gold. I could use the Goodie areas or not. I could read the walkthroughs or not. But there is a choice. And for me, that is what I play for. To have fun, and relax. I liked the "smelly shoes" idea, and wish they were in every Aveyond game. Now, this too, is a choice people can use. Or not.

I haven't finished 3 Stars yet. Don't know if I will.

And Millenium is ok. I did get through it. But it's not something I enjoyed all the time.

Two things I don't like is no walkthroughs when a game is released. And no Maps.

If you want to make money, then satisfy the customers. Nobody is FORCED to read walkthroughs, use Goodies, or even read the "spoilers" sections of the Forums. And many of us DO want those things.

It's what made Aveyond great in the first place, isn't it? It is why we have kept buying them, too, isn't it? Great stories. And these things besides.

Nobody has better Maps than Aveyond.

With all these things, Amanda could make a huge game, and we'd all play it. But the average sized games are fine with me.

In the end, it depends on the story and characters, and the Quest whether the game is going to be good as a longer game. It takes a real story, to be a success.

I think you have the talent at hand to do so.

Amaranth Games has a great formula, don't forget that. They can do whatever and suceed.

But,I will play the 40 hour games just the same, if they don't make huge ones. And be happy.

KTC's got it right. I like games that I get attached to. My all time favorite is Baldur's Gate II, which was actually really long. Lots of replay value, too.

"SWORDS, NOT WORDS!"

XDD

Yeah. Anyway. The characters and the plot are fantastic, and that is the most important thing. ;)

I do love long long games. For this reason, Everlong belong to my all time favourites. And it's free. It' fun and I gotta admit once I finished it, I still wanted it to go on for much longer. I have Game+ for that, though. Which means, Everlong also offers replability values- the replay Game+ option has more extra dungeons. Apart from, of course, the alternative paths you can take with the good man Glen.

Other than that, I like game series. I was brought up on old King's Quest- and am currently awaiting the realse of the fan-made, huge Silver Lining. My other favourite from Sierra is Quest for Glory series, particularly the last one, number 5. That game series had a nice replayability value sice you could choose three -or four- different paths. You could be a warrior, wizard or a thief. Or if you became a paladin in Quest 1 or 2, you could be that as well. It was a well-made mix of adventure and rpg.

And frankly, length aside, the most important thing is the replayabilit factor. Something that gives good value for money. uest for glory was the first such game I played. Cute Knight Kingdom which, while relatively short, offers an excellent replayability value.

I am a strong proponent of choices in games but if a story is well-written in good English such as Eternal Eden was, I am more than happy to accept the choices of the authors. But for that, you need to know how to write to engross your players. If I don't feel such a quality, I simply cannot enjoy a game, not even if it has brilliant custom graphics or thousands of events. It jut has to be well-written for me.

The creator of Deadly Sin knows how to write. I immensely enjoyed his Dondoran legacies, it was really well-made and hit me las an excellent game right from the start.

Everlong for one, despite being one of my all-time favourite indie rpgs, has several script flaws mostly concerning character storlines, which seems to stem from a desire to flesh out characters as much as possible. Sometimes adding too much may just have an opposite effect.

Sometimes it may turn your character from fairly belivable to terribly cliched and easily forgettable, I believe.

But then..as long as I see a soul in the game-like I do in the game called Aquaria- with everything carefully elaborated with sensibility and a love and respect for one's own work and for the player, I can even accept an arcade exploration type of game, though my reflexes are really bad. As long as I see the work and effort in there and carefully elaborated details (including language) I might enjoy it.

The free web games, orisinal:

http://www.ferryhalim.com/orisinal/

are a breath of fresh air too. The are simply beautiful and very enjoyable.

I do look forward to checking out Baldur's gate one day though, hoping that I might enjoy it.

I think I will have to try Asguaard. I like long games because it is possible to spend more time in a well created world. The critical components for me for great long games are plot lines, characters, and some method to tell what needs to be done next (hints, journals, oracles...). Some potential problems can occur with any game that is without some plot structure, all fighting, or relies on some computer function that might not work with laptops for a critical bottle neck (example: needing to click excessively in a short time period to get to the next level).

What about Asugaard makes it so long? Is it the battles? Side quests? or something else? I'm just wondering, because I think the only game I've ever played that has consistently been a 100+ hour game has been the Dragon Quest series (more notably DQ6 and above). But what makes them "long" are the optional side quests that you can do (like collecting monsters, etc.) The actual storyline for the game is usually no more than 40 hours.

I must say, 100 hours is far too long for me. No matter how quality made it is, it is just plain too much. And, not only does it get somewhat boring or simply not fun, I also don't have time for something like that. I can put 100 hours into a game; I really don't have the time. I like games in the 30-50 hour range. The upper side of that is better, but I can't deal with anything too much above that. It stops being fun for me. So I think that there can definitely be too long, though it's even easier to be too short. Anyways, that's my opinion. It's fun to see what others think about this. =)

@Nocturnal: Ooh, I haven't talked to you much but I like you already. I love Orisinal. :D

@iPink:

"And, not only does it get somewhat boring or simply not fun, I also don't have time for something like that. I can put 100 hours into a game; I really don't have the time. I like games in the 30-50 hour range."

I don't really see your point. What's the difference for your playtime between playing one 100 hour game and two 50 hour games? And as for it getting boring, well, that's why you need a good storyline/etc. That way it never does get boring.

@ipink: I agree with rena. I don't see your point either.

I mean, if a game is really freaken good, does one tend to notice the time? I know I don't. Sometimes I play for a good 7+ hour stretch and the only reason why I would know is if I looked up at the clock. <_< >_>

Though some games I consider 'guilty pleasures' like the pokemon games cuz their story/gameplay is quite simplistic, but for some reason its still attractive O_o;; (though the later games like diamond/platinum has been getting better stories)

Possibly the big commercial games (rather than the small independent ones) would work better at considerable length, because of the size, skills and experience of the creative team, with all that money pumped into the company. As much as I enjoy the small games (except for Aldorlea games), they are simplistic and after a while, what the player is doing is just more of the same. That's because the small companies don't have the resources of the big companies, although their talent and imagination are obvious. So their length seems right.

I did try Asguaard, in case anyone is thinking, 'give it a chance, Gail!' It's brand new and looks good and reminded me a little of Aveyond in some ways, as the same game engine was used. But I was so bored playing I couldn't last the trial period. Millennium is looking better as it has an intriguing storyline that caught my attention. Isn't Marine's hair beautiful?

I couldn't finish Everlong. I struck a bug that prevented me from crossing the floor when I was getting towards the end. There was nothing I could do and I had to give up, disappointed. Perhaps there will be an upgrade and I can try again one day, I haven't given up permanently. Funny thing is no-one else seemed to have this bug, just me.

Favourite small games: Aveyond, Dark Souls, Last Scenario. Favourite big games: Shining Force series (now they could go for 100 hours!) Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. How I yearn to play the sequel on the NDS, but I'm not sure if my eyesight is up to it. In fact, I'm fairly sure it isn't. Well, at least there is more Aveyond coming!

What I can afford has a lot to do with what I prefer in a game. When I have a little extra money to buy something beyond necessities, it's not very much, so I'm not going to spend more than $10-20 on a game. So yeah, I'm much more likely to buy a short to average length game than a long one. Though when it comes down to it, I prefer the ~40 hour game over the "bite size" game. I do enjoy playing a longer RPG, but only if the story and the gameplay are good enough to carry it.

But what's most important to me is replay value. I don't buy games often. When I do, I want it to be a game I will want to play again (and again and again), and long RPGs rarely fit that bill, unless they offer player choices that significantly affect the gameplay or the course of the story.

@Rena/KTC: Sorry I wasn't clear. I can't play games very often and I CAN'T not finish a game. It,like, physically hurts me to leave one incomplete. So I can't put in the time required for a 100-hour game since I don't have much time in general and when I do have time it's in the 30-50 hour range for when I actually can play games. I don't have time for 100 hour games because I barely have time for 30-50 hour games because I only get that time only once in a while. =)

Oooh a hard question to answer.

I would like Orbs of Magic series if it was all put together in one game but I like it now in chapters and I like paying $10.. well, of course I like free better but people have to make money if they have a business..

Other games have other good qualities, I won't go through which ones I like or don't like, although I do like enemies that I know are there most of the time [although I really liked one game where that wasn't true].

The biggest thing I like Aveyond games though is the story and the side quests which make sense along with the story. Sometimes they even contribute to the story, without actually being necessary to complete it. For instance, the wine grower and delivering all that wine. It wasn't necessary to complete all the wine deliveries to finish the game, but it helped to know where places were AND something necessary for the game was at the wine grower's house. I like that a lot.

But back to length.. I vote medium, no longer than 50 hours for one game. Plus I don't like paying more than $20 for a game so I guess my rate that I like is 50 cents per hour of play; and I've got a better rate than that on Aveyond.

Aveyond is not that long, I remember when I'm playing Aveyond:

Aveyond 1 - 30-40 Hours, LOL, I do got lost on Demon Caves >_<

Aveyond 2 - 15-20 Hours, I Used the goodies so I am just fast, when I didn't use them...It's 20-25 Hours.

Aveyond 3.1 - 7 - 10 Hours, It's kinda short but it's worth it <3

Aveyond 3.2 - 10-16 Hours, Well, It is so Vast and So many complex dungeons....

Aveyond 3.3 - I'm guessing it's atleast 14-21 Hours?

I love long games if they do have great story <3

I also love those short ones, Because they seem to have a good storyline <3

For me, it all about pace. If they make the way to a place I need to get to just too dang hard, I'll just doze off playing the game. Though if there's just enough events to entertain me, then I can play for about 250 hours until the whole story and game get tired.