Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
dreams2explore

soutaiyou - Vacant Sky Vol. 1: Contention

I really appreciate the courtesy of people who use spoiler space or white text. I am finding Veteran a bit of a drag, as it results in loooong, booooring battles and not much headway. In any case, I didn't complete any quests in the first short game, so now I'm going to succumb to temptation, start again and play better. Any excuse to make it last.

It's odd, I hated the game when I was first playing and I came so close to uninstalling it. I managed to hang on until I left town - so glad I did! Looking forward to Act III and then presumably Vol 2. Wonder how long the series will last.

Yay, just finished Act I and enjoyed it a lot. I have to say, it's got a truly immersive plot! ^_^ I think I'm getting addicted to this game :lol: But before I start the next Act, just wanted to share a few tips for the first Act --

* Make sure to visit that lady's (the one you helped with the registration no.) place in Auria's hometown at night time to receive a mace and a bracelet (that'll increase all your stats by 2) in addition to the 5 XP for completing her quest.

* In the practice battle where you fight Zaq and later Seri, try and win both, even if it means using up the only healing potion you have, if you don't wanna miss out on valuable 25 XP.

* When you complete Kasch's Lament quest, if you choose "I think you should fight" you get a chain shirt (increases DEF by 15) and 25 XP while if you select "You should seek shelter" you receive 15 XP and Kasch's sword (which increases ATK by 15). Choose the best one for youself according to your stat points distribution.

* In the town with all dead bodies lying around, you can find 25 credits, 3 dawns potion, ginger ale, etc if you look around throughly.

* If you're harvesting skill is very high, you'll receive more items. Ex- at the first harvesting bench, I received 3 items instead of just one.

* Lastly, side quests are crucial. The extra exp/money/items you get certainly come in handy.

Hope they help! :)

Thanks, dessertrose. :) Must admit that on first playthrough, I was so impatient to leave East Naven that I didn't look around at night and didn't even think to return to the registration number woman to tell her I couldn't get in. But this time I know the town and I'm in no hurry.

The game certainly is addictive, it has an intriguing mystery and good characterisation. Good music, too. I finally found the official site and was pleased to see there are more games in the same universe, or at least one more, anyway. I'll investigate that later.

So many games, so little time. :)

@dessertrose

Thanks a lot, that would be of great help to all the new players. :)

GailP wrote:

Must admit that on first playthrough, I was so impatient to leave East Naven that I didn't look around at night and didn't even think to return to the registration number woman to tell her I couldn't get in.

Same here, hence couldn't complete the George quest. As for the registration no. quest, you need to return to her rightaway (during the day itself) and tell her that. She'll then lend you her house keys and once you complete the task, she'll invite you over for dinner. Make sure to stop by at night as dessertrose said.

The game certainly is addictive, it has an intriguing mystery and good characterisation. Good music, too.

Glad you're enjoying it. XD I'm sure the creator would love to know about that too. I had invited him over but he's too busy with the game production and real life. XD

I finally found the official site and was pleased to see there are more games in the same universe, or at least one more, anyway. I'll investigate that later.

Umm... I had placed a link to the official site in the main post... XD

So many games, so little time. :)

Exactly, I've yet to start playing Act II as my exams are around the corner. :(

Rainbo, I hadn't looked at the link to the main site or hadn't looked at the site yet - being on dial-up means everything takes longer. :) In fact, I download new games overnight while I sleep. But I had a good look at the site last night and tonight, it was interesting. So much time and loving care devoted to a series of freeware games!

I can't track down that elusive George. I have done all the other quests just by taking my time and looking everywhere this time, it's surprising how long it can take and how much people have to say, it pays to keep talking to them. But although I took the hint on how best to search for George, it seems he has fallen into the pool or the fountain, as he remains elusive. I didn't think I had missed a spot, but there are a few areas in East Naven that can't be reached. I assume I'll revisit them another time.

@ayne: Hah, yeah, but I like to replay games sometimes just to remember the story and finish sidequests. I tend to forget details ><

@latyss: Ooh, I didn't know Vel could also get a swimsuit. Now I knooooow! Thanks :D

I'm sure the creator would love to know about that too. I had invited him over but he's too busy with the game production and real life. XD

What are you talking about? I'm right here. :)

Here's something to drive you wild: there's actually a sidequest in the Act I prologue with the Virad. It's pretty hard to find, though.

soutaiyou wrote:

What are you talking about? I'm right here. :)

lol you never mentioned that you are the creator in any of your earlier posts. And I expected the username Sailerius :P Anyway, thanks for dropping by. ^_^

GailP wrote:

I can't track down that elusive George. I have done all the other quests just by taking my time and looking everywhere this time, it's surprising how long it can take and how much people have to say, it pays to keep talking to them. But although I took the hint on how best to search for George, it seems he has fallen into the pool or the fountain, as he remains elusive. I didn't think I had missed a spot, but there are a few areas in East Naven that can't be reached. I assume I'll revisit them another time.

Oh yeah, he's really easy to miss. >.<

Spoiler (highlight to read)--

You won't be able to find George until nightfall. Look for him in Fallston, along the southern edge. :)

@soutaiyou: So you are the creator of this great game! What a pleasant suprise! I don't think anyone even realized it... you kinda forgot to introduce yourself in your first post :D We thought you're just a random guy trying to help :P

It has to do with the other rooms in the prison that you aren't required to enter.

Is it in Cell block B? Cause that's the only one that seems likely as when you try the other rooms they keep saying its a waste of time or something to that effect. But it requires a code to proceed which I can't seem to find anywhere :S

Anyways, finished Act 2 just a few min ago and already can't wait for the next one :D

Thanks! I knew when to look, but not where and you're right, he is hard to spot.

I remember that door that Sandarga couldn't enter and said there was no time for this. Should have realised it was a quest. I looked around most of the prison, especially when I got lost, but I suspect there was one small area I missed. Presumably there is a key or a piece of paper with the combination that the player is supposed to find.

I just finished Act II and enjoyed it even more than the first Act :D I liked the story a lot, it was very interesting to say the least. But the ending was my favorite part. It was so sad and so unexpected!

[spoliers ahead] I was really starting to like Mia. Why did she have to die? Her whole life was so unfair as it is. T_T But I loved the Ray/Auria moment, very beautiful.

I also liked the memoirs room revelation part. O_O

All in all, awesome game and I'm glad it was not linear like Act I. :D I liked how you could do the 3 dungeons in any order. Does it make any difference, btw?

Hello again, everyone! I have been trying not to be annoying and to work things out for myself, and have partly succeeded. I have reached an impasse with the mansion, which anyone who doesn't want to know about the mansion should avoid looking at.

Does anyone know what triggers a mirror? I have been wandering about in the dark, taking part in one long, boring battle after another and I seem to be going around in circles. I can't control the mirrors no matter who is in my party and I have no idea what to do except to keep levelling up aimlessly.

Thanks muchly to anyone who takes pity on me!

Thanks Candide. I have found a few seals, inside the mirrors as well as out. I think all I can do is wander around near the mirrors and wait till I get the signal.

I am debating a couple of things. White text ahoy! Edit: on my first playthrough, I went to Boris first and couldn't cope with the monsters. It was just boring levelling up. So after replaying Act I and doing all the sidequests, I came back and took the boat to Ciel first. Smart move. When I had finished, there was a small cut scene in town in which Vel was approached by someone I've forgotten. She was living a wretched life on the streets and would do anything to no longer live like this, so she accepted whatever she was offered (no details). This explained why I was so bewildered at Seri's odd behaviour. It was nice to have that piece of the jigsaw puzzle put in place.

So then I went to Viadahn, got fed up with the mirror mansion and went back to town to visit Boris, did that mission and came back to Viadahn. I made progress, but still a bit stuck, will see how I go.

EDIT: All right, for those interested, Candide etc, I have edited the white text above to explain what I did differently and what happened as a result. It is a minor spoiler, more intriguing, really, and it refers to side-quests.

Sorry! I never thought of it as being a spoiler and don't really think it is (as I would not be thoughtless), but I'll make some white text if you like, as we may have more new players and new posters coming. (Edit - white text done).

I love the games boards!

I have been thinking about the game as I play, as there is some strong characterisation and a mystery for the player to speculate about and eventually solve. So I'd like to chat about it (assuming anyone is interested, of course!) White text indicates the marker buoy bobbing in the water.

I have been wondering if Auria is really who she is, so to speak, as there are hints that might indicate she was hidden away in East Naven and isn't really her parents' daughter (though I could be wrong about that). She seemed to have inherited her father's laziness, but thrown it off in the emergency, and is occasionally a bratty teenager, a cynic, a good person with the courage of her convictions.

Zaq and Seri seem obviously set to marry, but isn't that a bit like eggs without salt or even pepper and herbs? They need to be shaken out of their complacency. Seri is kind and good and decent, but she is a little too complacent about her father’s importance, understandably, yet still has a good head on her shoulders just the same. She has had a shock recently, but won’t talk about it. Her valiant denial of reality in the face of all odds is becoming tiresome. Zaq has handled the general nastiness of war well, but he needs to realise that he can’t go around blaming a schoolgirl who wasn’t there for the actions of adults who were. He needs to be pulled out of his holier-than-thou comfort zone.

Ray (ugh) and Vel seem well suited to each other, though Vel is a bit fragile, too gentle for her rough life. She needs nurturing and she needs to be loved. Rien is a nasty piece of work, but a valuable asset as she is a good scientist. But why is she permanently cursed? I can't unequip her cursed item(s). She isn't much use permanently poisoned.

We don't know anything about Blaise. He is apparently irredeemably evil, but still has a human side, and frankly a certain something. He is a mystery. Surprisingly, he seemed sorry for poor Mia, the opposite of what I expected. I want to learn more about him, but he remains an enigma.

What do Weapon and Xylias mean, 'the soul isn't ready'? Is Auria doomed, or can her inner demon be expelled from her body? Why was her father killed, it seems pointless? Did the black feather contain something that possessed her? I can't remember if the woman who gave it to her is her evil alter-ego. I'm not sure if Auria has any memory of being given it. And how did Blaise know about Ejaro? These are rhetorical questions BTW, I don’t want to be spoiled, I’ll find out when I get there. Only finishing the third mission in Viadahn at the moment.

Enough of this, I'm talking too much as usual. :) End of white text marker buoy, highlight message to read.

Haah, I meant to ask you to write the summary of the scene in a post and put it in a spoiler =P

Now that you ask those questions, I'm also starting to wonder o.o I'd also forgotten about the Alibaas woman giving Auria the feather.

I so can't wait for Act III :D

Oh, I misunderstood, never mind. I can still do it if you like. I am looking forward to finishing a certain mission on which I'm bogged down, but when I have, I can move forward.

I also am looking forward to the series continuing - and mysteries being solved. Great story.

I edited the white text section of my post #93 above, if you want to read it, as it explains a few things that might happen if you happen to do something, so to speak. ;)

I wondered why we have items in our inventory, the names of Act I and II. Now I know! It is interesting to see how we can switch the title screen around to whatever we want after reaching a certain point, it's fun. I will keep my opinion of Vel's photoshoot to myself, but Seri's is rather fun. I also like Auria's picture and even like the plainish opening screen of Act II as it's stylish. It's a bit like game wallpaper. :)

Now when are we going to see Zaqris' photoshoot? In Act III, I hope? (Looks winningly at the game developers).

I may be involved in fantasy fiction too much (including games), which may explain why I half expect the Alibaans' (I refuse to call them Alibaas - that is bad grammar) tattoos to turn out to be something more than inanimate pictures! All right, my imagination is working overtime.

I have been meaning to ask, and forgot - what are the meanings of the games' names? I could make something out of Shadow and Ashes if I think laterally, but I don't really get it. Halo Locks means nothing. Any ideas?