Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
dreams2explore

soutaiyou - Vacant Sky Vol. 1: Contention

Out of curiosity, GailP, have you seen the ending of Act II yet?

In response to the question about whether or not the order you complete the areas in Act II affects anything, the answer is that it doesn't affect anything substantial. Between areas, you get a cutscene that reveals some more about the plot. Which cutscene you get is dependent upon in which order you've completed the areas, so there are actually some that you won't see on your first time through. :)

Other than that, the only thing affected by the order in which you complete the areas is the conversations that occur during cutscenes. This is especially true in the cases of Rien and Vel. They each have some humorous dialog if you have them when starting the other's area.

Hello again. I only just finished playing the game, and came back to the board to read about it. What an experience! Well, now I know what Halo Locks means.

Thanks for the tip about the cut scenes, that is interesting. Must try something different if I play again, which I may do, as this game is quite involving, and short, so I don't play for weeks or months. Long may the series continue.

A few observations, with big spoilers: I detest Ray more than ever now. It was his fault that Auria was set off, but no-one seemed to notice. What in the world does she see in the creep? But I suppose the game writers didn’t want to lumber the party with an extra character who really isn’t needed, so, like an episode of Doctor Who, the extraneous person(s) had to be killed off to get her out of the way and this was the plot device to do so.

I found it hard to believe Seri thought she would get away with her double agent plan, as I didn’t think she was that naïve. Her father’s weakness of character may have contributed to the downfall of Alibaas. Zaq is still too busy sitting in judgement to realise that he turned his back on Seri and left her to be turned into exile alone, then he had the nerve to hold her solely responsible for the result. Evidently her future husband, on circumstantial evidence. He needs to grow up. But with the coward Pharum out of the way, Alibaas is set to perhaps, I really hope, take back its future and have something to look forward to at the end of the long hard road. This too is a plot device with a big red arrow on it. :)

I thought Blaise was killed at the gate, but obviously he made it, as he reappeared later. Perhaps Zaq healed him. The group isn’t to be broken up. Suits me, for some reason I like Blaise. But I really wish Ray had died instead of Mia, and she had taken his place! Auria would have had a sister.

I suppose everyone sees that as there is another one like Auria, there are bound to be more? The only way to put a stop to it is not to bump off Auria permanently, but to find and stop the root cause of the problem. Hence Act III.

I wish that at the end, Auria and Zaq would get together and Seri would find someone who isn’t in awe of her and provides her with the checks and balances she needs. Seri and Zaq’s relationship is not healthy. Rien can go and find the Professor if she likes, those two deserve each other. Blaise seemed protective of Mia, but also seems decidedly a loner.

As usual, I talk too much. :) I am guessing that Act III will conclude Volume 1 and Volume II will usher in a new phase of the series. At least, it seems that way.

Just beat ACT II and thought it was incredible. :D The story kept getting more and more intriguing by the minute :o Eagerly awaiting ACT III to find how the mysteries unfold!!

I am guessing that Act III will conclude Volume 1 and Volume II will usher in a new phase of the series.

ooh, I'm curious about that too. Will there be a Vol. 2 (and hopefully a third one too)? :blink: If so, it'll be absolutely fabulous! :D

Huh, I find it weird that you don't like Ray. I guess his annoying ignorance is somehow endearing to me :P

Zaq and Auria?! Oh my o.o That seems more like a crack pairing to me. And I don't think I noticed Blaise being protective of Mia, seriously. Man, so ignorant Dx

I agree with candide.ray is not so bad.Though he got too excited when he heard about a demon and wanted to fight and kill that demon without hearing anything.But still i would say that ray is not so bad.And i think if mia had not been with auria then auria must had found a way to get pass those guards who were blocking the way to her hometown.Those guards were only doing there duty.And i didn't like the way auria treated ray but still it was fun.

Its pretty confusing that why someone didn't used a blessed weapon to kill zezzorah.Maybe it must be because no one thought of virads as demons.

Waiting for act 3.

I think Ray's just a bit immature... but a very likeable character nonetheless. RayXAuria, FTW! :D Anyways, finished the game and loved it (particularly the ending). The story was so compelling that I literally couldn't stop playing until I finished it.

Can't wait for Act III! :D

Perhaps the blessed weapons didn't yet exist back in Zezzorah's time (unless I remembered wrong). Or perhaps he was somehow different. We learn bits of the story as we go along, but there is still a lot to be revealed in future chapters. I'm guessing, but there may well be a revelation about this. I am also guessing that the unending cycle that we are told can never be broken will be, as this is part of the whole point of the game. If you think about it this way, surely what was done can be undone. But we'll have to wait for future chapters to find out these things.

I am a little shocked that 'Kbljkl' (?) didn't like the way Auria treated Ray after what he did and the fact that she was obviously traumatised by it, with good reason. Evidently she/he didn't have a problem with what he did to that poor creature. Do you think it was deserved? He has shown himself unable to learn from experience and repeats the same mistakes. This isn't the first time he led Auria into his own thoughtless recklessness, leaving her with a bitterly troubled conscience. He was blithely untroubled as he has no conscience.

Of course, all of this is part of a colourful array of contrasting characters with their different personalities and ideals or lack of them, interests and own agendas etc, to make lots of variety in the cast of characters, just like a good book. It all adds depth. It isn’t just a number of characters doing whatever, they are all developed and fleshed out, which does not always happen in games. I like that.

Blaise showed a surprising tendency to be human :) over Mia, do you remember? It was back a bit. In a sense, he is even more callous than Ray, because he is intelligent and mature and Ray is stupid and childish. So that means his lack of conscience is even more reprehensible. So I was a bit surprised when he protested, wanting to help her. He seemed to take pity on her because she was a sad down and out. Of course, the player is meant to feel sorry for her as well.

Zaq and Seri are supposed to be very young, though I have trouble believing Seri is supposed to be not yet of age. She seems like a mature young woman to me, not a girl like Auria, but she is very serious and self-disciplined. I was thinking more of the balance of personalities. Zaq is vain and haughty, yet essentially a good person. He badly needs someone who will knock down his egoism when he needs it. He also, frankly, needs a bit of fun and laughter in his stiff life. Seri needs someone who perhaps isn't as serious as she is and who will help steer her straight. She is brainy and thoughtful and has the courage of her convictions, but needs a sense of proportion occasionally. Auria is spirited and smart, not meek, doesn't stand in awe of anyone and won't stand any nonsense from anyone who would want to dominate her or preach at her.

Sadly, I have a feeling that Zaq and Seri will resolve their differences and become a boring and unsuitable couple, each unable to provide the checks and balances the other needs. Auria may well end up going back to school at the end of it all, for all anyone knows, LOL. But I have a feeling that she really belongs somewhere else other than her home town. She needs a purpose in life. No idea how she will really end up. I just hope the final endgame doesn’t end in tragedy, I don’t want to see that! It is a grim game with tragedy in it, but I want a happy ending just the same. We’ll see when we get there.

I wonder if the whole storyline for the future has already been mapped out in advance.

(Act 2 ending spoilers ahead)Zaqris will DIE???ahhhh That's why in the end of the act 2.the title screen changed and zaqris was laying unconcious on ground.

@gailIp:i am not able to understrand what are you saying in para 2&3.Which creature are you talking about and who are you referring to by he/she and which reason are you talking about by which auria was hurt??? If you are talking about any of the sidequests related to this event.Then i will not able to understand anything because i have rarely done any sidequest.I think i have not done any.

Kblkl, sorry I confused you. I was trying to avoid spoilers, but instead I didn't make sense, so I will use the white text.

What soutaiyou said above in white text (Candide is right, you need to apply white text to your big spoiler) is not actually true, because I finished Act II and so I am a little confused myself now. What actually happened was different and dramatic. Several threads came together at the end to prepare for Act III. In fact, (spoiler) I got a shock as it looked as if Blaise had been killed, but he turned up again all right. (End spoiler)

Now, about what I was saying before, in which I confused you. (Spoiler)Ray tried to kill Mia back at the abandoned warehouse at the top of town, when the party finally managed to get in. It was then that Blaise showed compassion for the first time, wanting to protect Mia and protesting Ray’s callousness. He could see that Mia was vulnerable and very lonely. I was surprised because earlier he told Auria to just get over the fact that he killed her only on suspicion, but in fact we still know almost nothing about Blaise.

Later, near the end, Ray rushed in again, refusing to listen to anyone as usual and killed Mia, ending her hopes of a new life. She was the same as Auria, so why her and not Auria? As I said before, this was a Doctor Who type plot device to get rid of the extraneous person who was no longer needed and had to go because she was in the way. Auria was obviously devastated at the betrayal. She was right, it wasn't fair. Pretty good writing actually, because there was tragedy and pathos, but without sickly sentiment, a growing experience for everyone concerned, and the player’s emotions are involved as well, adding to the interest. And you’ll remember that when Ray barged into Corinne’s house and demanded she take them in, he dragged Auria into helping him kill her husband without stopping to remember that Corinne was expecting him back, or to simply ask who was there. Auria has to take responsibility for her mistakes as well, and she does so, but she is only 17. Ray is a bad influence on her, and I think he enjoys killing and looks for people to kill because he likes it. Perhaps this theme will be developed further in future games as our friends grow and change with their experiences. I still wonder BTW, what Serge was doing in a Virad costume and whether Corinne will come back to haunt our friends in the future, or was the incident a one-off? It’s an interesting thought. (End spoiler)

I am impatient for Act III now, because the story is so good and keeps twisting and turning to keep us guessing. It’s a thriller. And we have to wait for March, oh no! :)

I really wonder how game writers, especially the really young ones, come up with all their interesting ideas for stories, including the script. I mean, they may as well be writing novels for publication. How do they do it? It can’t all be tertiary studies, as at least one is only 18. I am fascinated by this aspect of gaming. I don’t think it’s off-topic to mention it here (I hope) as after all, we are talking about a game with a tightly woven plot with switchback events. Kudos to all game writers, I certainly couldn't do it. :)

Yeah i also wonder how the writers come up with all these ideas.It needs a lot of will power,imagination and creativity.

Second thing.How to paste a spoiler???I haven't pasted any.

GailP, I am one of the creators of the game. :P What I'm saying is true. I realize the ending is a little ambiguous as to what happened, but (SPOILER) Zaqris died from his wounds.

EDIT: I also thought I'd mention that Act III will conclude the story of Auria. As some of you have guessed, there are plans for a "Vacant Sky Volume 2", but that's quite a ways off. Volume 1, Contention, is Auria's story. But she's only one person and the world doesn't revolve around her. Volume 2 will follow a very different protagonist and a very different kind of struggle.

Now I feel silly, as I think I should have realised that. :) Sorry.

(Spoiler) I am really disappointed. If anyone had to die, why couldn't it be Ray instead? But perhaps Seri needs to find some independence and strike out on her own. Besides, it's probably more realistic this way as our heroes have done unrealistically well to all survive so far.

Act III - this explains why the series is to be separated into two or more 'volumes'. It makes sense to use this naming convention under the circs. It's not unusual to have a game series starring one person/group of people and then star a new character in the next game/series block.

In fact, it reminds me a little of the infamous film Psycho. If I can use that comparison. ;)

I already want to see Volume II, but writing games takes time, a lot of time, so we will have to be patient. I can see a future ahead for this company, congrats on getting us all hooked.

Kbljkl, there are codes on either side of text blocks to turn the text white. Use these:

color=FFFFFF

/color

on either side of your text and it will turn white. But you have to put square brackets around each code. I just removed them as the codes wouldn't show up, even when highlighted.

D: But but but but Zaq was awesome! How could he die?! Unfairness!

So yeah, I'll be getting to replaying Act II after I finish writing something :3

By the way, what's that hidden sidequest at the start of Act I? I seriously don't get it, and if someone already answered, I'm sorry ><

I didn't really get it either, but I do remember that door that needed a code or key or something. I may have missed a small section while exploring, it was a little confusing with the blockages and the lifts. But someone mentioned earlier that it is hard to find and that it involved the door Sandarga couldn't open. My theory is that it's necessary to search very closely for something and then return to the door to see if it will open now. Perhaps it's even necessary to free Weapon first, I don't know.

If anyone does solve the mystery, perhaps they will post and let us all know.

Tierra wrote:

The sidequest with virad does it end when you find something between the door?

Are you talking about the Act I prologue? Then yes. The item you received should be called We Are Forever. It's another title screen. Congrats on finding it. :)

GailP wrote:

(Spoiler)Ray tried to kill Mia back at the abandoned warehouse at the top of town, when the party finally managed to get in. It was then that Blaise showed compassion for the first time, wanting to protect Mia and protesting Ray’s callousness. He could see that Mia was vulnerable and very lonely. I was surprised because earlier he told Auria to just get over the fact that he killed her only on suspicion, but in fact we still know almost nothing about Blaise.

Later, near the end, Ray rushed in again, refusing to listen to anyone as usual and killed Mia, ending her hopes of a new life. She was the same as Auria, so why her and not Auria? As I said before, this was a Doctor Who type plot device to get rid of the extraneous person who was no longer needed and had to go because she was in the way. Auria was obviously devastated at the betrayal. She was right, it wasn't fair. Pretty good writing actually, because there was tragedy and pathos, but without sickly sentiment, a growing experience for everyone concerned, and the player’s emotions are involved as well, adding to the interest. And you’ll remember that when Ray barged into Corinne’s house and demanded she take them in, he dragged Auria into helping him kill her husband without stopping to remember that Corinne was expecting him back, or to simply ask who was there. Auria has to take responsibility for her mistakes as well, and she does so, but she is only 17. Ray is a bad influence on her, and I think he enjoys killing and looks for people to kill because he likes it. Perhaps this theme will be developed further in future games as our friends grow and change with their experiences. I still wonder BTW, what Serge was doing in a Virad costume and whether Corinne will come back to haunt our friends in the future, or was the incident a one-off? It’s an interesting thought. (End spoiler)

Gail ip finished writing.

Kbljkl-

Spoilers Ahead (Act 2 spoilers)-

Actually I do not perfectly remember but as much as I remember blaise didn’t actually wanted to protect Mia at that time.It was just that he didn’t believe in the demons and demon stories. Thats why he stopped ray.

And later when ray rushed to kill mia it was because ray had no other choice. If he had left mia then mia had killed auria’s friends as mia asked auria to kill her friends.I know there was some mistake of ray but it not only his fault.

Thirdly you asked that mia was same as auria so why not auria why mia only?If you remember then that was mia who forced those auria to kill those soldiers.The soldiers weren’t hurting or they were not the one who started fight.They were talking politely and mia asked auria to kill them.Those soldiers were only doing their duty.If mia had not been with auria then I am perfectly sure that auria had found some other way to get pass those guards. Thats why mia was a bad influence on her.And this shows that because of so many years of struggle by mia to live a life she in the end got mad and wanted to kill anyone that will get in her way.And mia was also older than auria or at least she was of her age so if auria could ignore people thinking that she is a demon or teasing her then why didn’t mia could.This proves that every person is not same and this is the answer of “why mia,why not auria”. Though it was not completely her fault half of the fault was of her and other half fault was of Ejaro who transformed her into an archon and never took care of her after the ritual. :(

And about the corine’s house-

As much as I remember ray didn’t dragged auria.He just asked auria for a little help.He didn’t forced auria.And yeah I accept that ray didn’t asked who was there but why didn’t auria could.And as much as I remember ray was not more than 19.So ray and auria are both EQUALLY responsible for the incident happened at corine’s house.

I will still say that I didn’t liked the way auria treated ray And thought of ray.

But it was still fun in the way auria treated him.

And in the end this concludes in my opinion that ray is not as bad as you are thinking.He is just childish.

I am also impatient for Act III.And if its going to release in march then its perfect for me as my exams will also end on march 5 and then I will enjoy my holidays and will play Act III of Vacant sky.Hooray!:celebrate: :lol: :smileattack: :thanks: for such a beautiful game. :goodjob:

I am having a problem with ending the game. I don't see any way to get to the opening screen except by pressing F12. But when i do that and return to my saved game, Auria is frozen at the save book. I have to exit the game, restart, and then it works. Also when Auria is frozen i can access a menu with Esc, but it is a different menu that has a save feature and an end game feature, that the regular game menu doesn't have. However that too is frozen and I can't navigate past the first line which is "items."

I like the option to return to the title screen if something is going wrong and I just want to start over.

Just finished Act I-great game! I like that the battles were limited-I hate games that stop you every 5 seconds to fight monsters and make you level up by grinding to ridiculous levels. Of course the up side to grinding is that a battle is always available to get money, XP, etc. But all in all I prefer this type of game. Thanks for working so hard.

Going to download Act II right now!