Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
dreams2explore

soutaiyou - Vacant Sky Vol. 1: Contention

pafpearl, I also dislike the fact that it isn’t possible to end the game and then restart from the title screen, instead of having to exit completely. The F12 option should have been fully enabled from the start and is enabled in every other game I have ever played.

Hear hear on the levelling up! One of the many things I like about this series of games is the fact that battles are meaningful and only take place when necessary. The games are story-driven, and don’t lose interest by not having lots of encounters, a very old-fashioned method from the 8-16 bit days that should be redundant. soutaiyou has managed this very well indeed. In fact, I was discussing this matter on another board about another series of games and wondering what game writers could do about it. Some people do like random encounters, but I’m over them as I am a long-term player.

Kbljkl, spoilers:

(Actually I do not perfectly remember but as much as I remember blaise didn’t actually wanted to protect Mia at that time.It was just that he didn’t believe in the demons and demon stories. Thats why he stopped ray.)

That’s an idea actually. I think Blaise saw no reason why Mia should be bumped off and wanted to protect her – I do remember it reasonably well, even now – but he could have had a dual motivation. It doesn’t seem to gel with his belief that it’s OK to bump off Auria and perhaps others on suspicion and to be quite casual about it, but oh, well. This is a game, not real life.

(And later when ray rushed to kill mia it was because ray had no other choice. If he had left mia then mia had killed auria’s friends as mia asked auria to kill her friends.I know there was some mistake of ray but it not only his fault.)

Actually, that is not true – Ray did indeed have choices. He could have listened to what Auria had to say about Mia, her motivations and their hopes for their future, and discussed the matter with the others, just as they all did with Auria when she was first ‘diagnosed’ for want of a better word. He chose not to. Ever since he first saw Mia, all he wanted to do was kill her at once and he would not be satisfied until he had done so. He wasn’t interested in her possible salvation – he wanted her death and was only happy when he achieved it. Then he seemed to forget about it and be ready to move on pretty quickly. He was trained from childhood to be a demon hunter, that was all he knew, fair enough, but he is also callous and unthinking. In fact, he’s like a child, almost too young emotionally to be fully responsible for his own actions. Which is part of the variety of our group’s characters. Rien and Blaise for example, are fully mature. Auria and Zaq are growing up. Seri seems quite grown up for her young age.

(Thirdly you asked that mia was same as auria so why not auria why mia only?If you remember then that was mia who forced those auria to kill those soldiers.The soldiers weren’t hurting or they were not the one who started fight.)

Spot on. But would Auria have found another way to get around them? Honestly, I don’t know and we will never know (though it’s interesting to speculate). How many people did our friends actually kill, rather than render unconscious, on their journey? I don’t remember at all. I do know that Mia was kidnapped, abused and I think, IIRC, tortured as a young child, then abandoned to become feral. Living wild and surviving as best she could, even killing to survive, was all she knew as she had never been brought up, educated or taught values. In fact, in a similar way, Ray too was trained from childhood to kill first and ask questions later and that was all he knew. Two sides of the same coin, do you think? Perhaps these two had more in common than they realised.

(They were talking politely and mia asked auria to kill them.Those soldiers were only doing their duty.If mia had not been with auria then I am perfectly sure that auria had found some other way to get pass those guards. Thats why mia was a bad influence on her.And this shows that because of so many years of struggle by mia to live a life she in the end got mad and wanted to kill anyone that will get in her way.And mia)

You didn’t read the script well. Auria was not a bad influence on Mia, but exactly the reverse. She began giving Mia the nurturing she had never had, teaching her the values she had never been taught, giving her hope, beginning to make progress with her already. This is one of the things the author wanted to highlight – the complexity of human nature, outside influences during and after formative years, and the results of the choices we make, whether carefully or in the heat of anger. This was well done and added to a solid story. Mia was beginning to learn about goodness as well as the badness she had only ever known and she was already looking forward happily to a new way of life, but it wasn’t going to happen overnight. Her second chance was cut off, just as sometimes happens in real life. It isn’t a fluffy story where everything ends happily, it’s hard-edged and quite realistic in some ways.

(was also older than auria or at least she was of her age so if auria could ignore people thinking that she is a demon or teasing her then why didn’t mia could.This)

Because Auria was brought up carefully in a normal, safe environment by a loving mother who cared for her, and Mia was abandoned to sink or swim on her own. That’s why.

I thought that underneath the evil that was forced on Mia (just as it was on Auria later), Mia seemed like rather a nice, even gentle person, even considering she was a feral child. It makes me want an alternate universe story to see how she would have turned out if she had not had the ‘black feather’ inflicted on her. :) BTW, now we know what that woman meant by wishing Auria ‘happy birthday’. Pretty scary, eh?

(As much as I remember ray didn’t dragged auria.He just asked auria for a little help.He didn’t forced auria.And yeah I accept that ray didn’t asked who was there but why didn’t auria could.And as much as I remember ray was not more than 19.So ray and auria are both EQUALLY responsible for the incident happened at corine’s house.)

I didn’t say they weren’t. :) I just noted Ray’s eagerness to kill when he had the chance and the fact that Auria was scared and wondering what to do. If anyone but Ray had been there, the stranger would have been challenged and revealed himself as the householder. It was because Ray was there that he charged in as usual, and Auria really had little choice but to back him up instead of leaving him to battle alone. He didn’t even seem sorry afterwards, but Auria was bitterly and permanently sorry. She has a conscience, he hasn’t. But they came from extremely different backgrounds and were brought up in completely different ways, so that is part of it.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on these two. You like Ray and make excuses for him and dislike Auria and I am the reverse. But that’s all right. End spoilers.

It is fun to have a discussion about the characters as they have plenty of depth and there is a lot to talk about. You and I seem to have long conversations about them, which I enjoy and hope you do as well. I also hope I'm not boring other readers to death by talking too much, LOL. I do have a tendency to do that.

And yes, I can’t wait for Act III as well! In the meantime, we have more Aveyond coming this month, which will keep me happily occupied, so that will pass the time pleasantly and make it easier to wait for more Vacant Sky.

I’m still unsure if there is another, earlier game set in this world. I thought there was, but it doesn’t seem to be available, so perhaps I was wrong.

I’m still unsure if there is another, earlier game set in this world. I thought there was, but it doesn’t seem to be available, so perhaps I was wrong.

There were actually two, but neither of them are publicly available. :)

The one you're probably thinking of is Vagrant Blood, which was thrown together hastily in a week for a game making contest and as a result ended up being really buggy, to the point where it was basically unplayable. It was silly and I don't know if I'll ever fix it up.

The other one is Cadenza, which was a visual novel set in East Naven a short time before Contention. It was made for a weekend(!) game making contest at my school and I never really got past the demo stage on it due to getting consumed with Act I at the time. But I do plan to finish and release it some day, perhaps this summer.

You can see some screens from the demos here:

http://rpgmaker.net/games/1688/

http://rpgmaker.net/games/1689/

I seem to be having a problem.

I tried to start playing Act 1, but it didn't give me the text, and when I went to look for the file there isn't one in my folder. v.v

Does anyone know what font file I need to see the text?

did anyone find the wine glass the guy in merchant sqaure wanted? And in act one is it possible to finish the Jiorek sidequest? (the guy on the beach I think?)

Also how many items does the occult guy need to satisfy that quest. I saw 3 items mentioned on these posts, is that it?

VelvetDew wrote:

pafpearl wrote:

And in act one is it possible to finish the Jiorek sidequest? (the guy on the beach I think?)

I'm curious about this too. Soutaiyou, can you pls let us know? XD

To complete the Jiorek sidequest, you need to have at least 20 Charisma. Yes, I know it's silly. Maybe in the future I'll rerelease Act I without the skills.

Oh, I see. Thanks!

Actually, I found the skill system quite interesting. :P It kinda gave a unique touch to the game. The only drawback was that you miss out on some nifty stuff as you can't be sufficiently skilled in everything. :P It could have been fun if you could make some changes to it.

I've tried everything I can think of, and I still can't see the text. The box will come up and the area with the character's name is almost closed and the second section is wide open but blank. If I click enter, it will continue to do this, progressing the story without me knowing any of what is being said. v.v

I'd really like to play...but it almost seems like the game just hates me! >.<

Pandorareve wrote:

I've tried everything I can think of, and I still can't see the text. The box will come up and the area with the character's name is almost closed and the second section is wide open but blank. If I click enter, it will continue to do this, progressing the story without me knowing any of what is being said. v.v

I'd really like to play...but it almost seems like the game just hates me! >.<

What operating system are you running? And would you mind showing me a screenshot of what it looks like?

I've been trying to find an answer as to what's wrong these past couple days and I'm still rather stumped.

First, this is going to sound like a dumb question, but do you have Times New Roman? I forgot that Act I uses that as its font instead of Tahoma.

Second, do you have another RGSS102 dll? You might have gotten the Japanese one somewhere, which could be interfering.

Lastly, try starting up Act II and see if the font displays in it. Act II uses a different font. If it doesn't show up, then we know it's another issue entirely.

soutaiyou wrote:

I've been trying to find an answer as to what's wrong these past couple days and I'm still rather stumped.

First, this is going to sound like a dumb question, but do you have Times New Roman? I forgot that Act I uses that as its font instead of Tahoma.

Second, do you have another RGSS102 dll? You might have gotten the Japanese one somewhere, which could be interfering.

Lastly, try starting up Act II and see if the font displays in it. Act II uses a different font. If it doesn't show up, then we know it's another issue entirely.

Come to find...I don't have Times New Roman! I tried running Act II and it runs fine, so it's just that font...

Try this strategy:

* Rayonne on Counter

* Zaqris should never do anything but First Aid

* Seri on Dodge

* Seri Disenchants the boss as soon as she uses Angel and then just keeps attacking

I realize this boss is kind of unfair, so if you're still having trouble, send me your save and I'll see what I can do. :)