Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
mara34

Spook... what's up with that guy? CONTAINS SPOILERS

Okay, so amid all the "ZOMG! Spook is so cute! *Squeal*" I formed a completely different opinion of the guy. Does anyone else think he might, at best, have alterior motives? At worst, be something sinister? Don't get me wrong, I love the character, but not in a 'he and the she-thief should get together, drop the prince, and live happily ever after' kind of way. He's so serious, and I don't quite trust him (trying to throw off the rest of the party, asks for weighty, unnamed favours in return for assistance). Excellent.

Someone commented on one of my posts that he seems sort of like Dameon from AV1, that I second. Although he really doesn't seem interested in Mel romantically at all. Anyone else get that? It's another reason why I get the feeling he might be using Mel. Why /is/ he being so helpful?

Aside: Given, what I gleened from the interview, as his deep, no-nonsense nature, I would think Spook would be semi-disgusted at the fan-girl hearts and sparkles. No?

Spook would be semi-disgusted at the fan-girl hearts and sparkles. No?

Well, I think you're right about this.

And at this point I'm on the fence. I think he could be possibly working against her, or it could just be his personality that makes him look kinda distrustful.

Spook reminds me a bit of some of my own characters--actually, a bit of my own assassin/thief, and he has perfectly good intentions. he's just pretty antisocial XD

nope, i'm inclined to like Spook. He reminds me of me XD XD XD

I'm not too sure about Spook either. He came across as slightly egotistical in the interview. I do have some suspicions about him but I'll have to wait until the game to find out if they are true.

I rather like Spook, but his...ah, should we call it 'possessiveness' of Mel looks rather shifty if you ask me. I even have a convoluted theory in my head that places him smack in the 'evil people' category, but I guess that's just my imagination running off a cliff and swan-diving. XD I guess only the game could tell us what's the real deal about Spook, but I've got to say, his character sure knows how to look 'ambiguous' about real intentions. XD

Yeah, I also have some 'smack in the evil people category' theorizing going on. True, he may just be anti-social (as I imagine good thieves should be) but his random obsession with Mel may point to other things... I say 'random' because she doesn't seem like one to fall for. I never understood the Edward/Mel pairing for this reason. Don't get me wrong, she's cool and all, but not really the 'marrying' type, I think.

I am also on the fence about this one. But I think with me it's more of a 'stay away from Mel OR ELSE' kind of feeling. As long as he does that, I'm fine. Eddy and Mel need to be together... But no, Spook did not seem evil to me at all. I just don't particularly like his personality. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

He is pretty fascinating...and almost as much as Dameon. Now let's hope this time this one has a normal hairdo. XD jk

Reflecting back to LoT and GoN I think there's a chance he may be a descendant of Darkthrop. This is just speculation, btw, but I can't help noticing the similarities and evaluting the odds. :evil:

Now, if they are two of the same kind, that may mean he's just as good at stealing, spying, lying, etc. Those kind of characters you never really know what their underlying intentions are. This is all guess work though. XD

spook seems to be either:

genuinely interested in making Mel great. Platonically/as a teacher type.

obsessed with Mel.

infatuated.

has ulterior motive.

some of the above.

none of the above. lol

I don't see how he's like Dameon though. Dameon was whining the whole way about his mom. Spook on the other hand is definitely less emo, though he has this whole obsession thing going.

I can totally see him backstabbing Edward if eddy throws a tantrum like he did during the first game though. (like when eddy left the girls to fend for themselves)

I don't know...The "She and I could do great things together" reminded me of the part in Av1 when Dameon says something similar to Rhen. XD "Not judging appearance" also reminded me of him. XD Yes, all very vague examples. That's the thing with sequels I guess: the tendency to compare games to the games before it. lol

I have another theory which only few people would remember, but I'll just keep it to me-self. :P

@dis: though seeing as the script is written by the same person, some lines might have been unconsciously recycled ;p

I could see Spook being a Darkthrop. Being so similar to Mel... And maybe he knows it? That's why he's so into the quest? And likes Mel so much? Like, he's finally found family. I could see that. His interest in her just didn't seem romantic to me, it could be familial affection. As for the (percieved by me) sinister-ness, maybe he sides more with Lord Darkthrop's style than Mel's (or Stella's? Was Stella a Darkthrop? I can't remember... Was that why the vampires wanted her? Or was it because she was a Naylithian healer?).

familial affection? I'm obsessed with my sister, but I certainly never speak of her like that. Sure we try to kill each other sometimes, but that just comes with the territory. ;P

Jokes aside: I don't think family has much influence on Spook. He seems too practical to let a silly thing like family ruin a good opportunity.

Also, going by the anti family trend, I don't think that's going on: Gyendal and Teijal are siblings but they hate each other guts and tried to kill each other. Zorom tried to kill his family in AP. Oh, and Dameon tried to kill his mum too.

The vampires were against Stella because she was the guardian of the orb. It has nothing to do with her heritage. Not to mention she made a decent puppet.

leave Spook alone!!! Geez why are you guys trying so hard to guess what's going on..just let it be XD

The surprise will be bigger and much more interesting if we are not bugging our brains with "who's he? what is he? etc"

as for the fan girls: get in line :evil:

@moony: but but, its either we gossip about this or discuss dameon's hair issues again DX

fangirls: surely they can't be as scary as the twihard O-o!

hahaha, ktc, I was thinking that too about his name. I keep wanting to replace one of those "o"s with a "c." :D

fangirls: surely they can't be as scary as the twihard O-o!

I don't know, there are a lot of similarities....

*runs away before I get attacked*

@KTC: Dameon's hair will never get old as a joke. XDD

@MoonPrincess: Nice siggy XDDD

@mara34: I'm an Ed/Mel fan...and I do acknowledge that a marriage between Eddy and Mel will probably be full of strain. But then again, they are friends, they seem to be able to tolerate each other, and that the competition (the other girls) seems to be...er, 'bland'. Nobody really likes Lydia for Eddy, and Stella, while kind and good-natured and all that, seem to be just...off. XD

@In general...

It's possible that Spook's a Darkthrop too (I mean, anything's possible at this point, since we don't know anything for certain yet XD), but I also don't see anything familial with his 'attentions'. Also, if he is a descendant, it's doesn't automatically mean that they're blood siblings. We don't have a family tree, so we don't know for sure just how many descendants there are. XD

Hmm...if we go along the non-familial route with Spook's behavior, and judging Eddy's jealousy, are we setting up another shipping battle reminiscent of the classic AV1 Dameon VS Lars shipping war? XDDD

(I wanna know how he got such a cool name as [d]Spock[/d] Spook!)

Star Trek reference. XD

OH! My friends and I were coming up with speculations, and we decided Spook is Jack's ghost, therefor named "Spook". (XD) The truth is, I'm not sure if my friends (or me) were joking or being serious... (:P)

The family idea seems possible. Maybe not likely, but possible.

I don't really like Spook, he seems too serious. I was hoping for a Jack-like personality, only slightly less obnoxious.

@Smirk Yeah, I guess she was boring, but I just wanted Stella to be happy so badly, I married her to Edward. I figure to, she'd be an ok queen. Boring queen is better than a tyranical queen, I figure. But it sounds like (from the interviews) that no one's really married to Edward... yet. Sounds like Lydia found a way to mess things up.

Also, I was totally miffed that there wasn't an oprion for Rhen to go with Lars. I thought he was coming around... I think, when I first played it, I had her go back to Clearwater with Danny. I know, so boring. Maybe that's why I liked Stella :P

@mara34: I am still a Rhen/Lars fan up to this very day. I gleefully ignore canon. And yes, with my friends' fan!musings, we think Danny's kinda cool XDD

I also thought that no one's married to Edward...yet, so there's no 'canon' wedding for him too. Also don't know if Stella being alive or dead is canon or no.

(Although I have this feeling that Spook exists as some sort of 'pair the spares' throw. Story-wise, if Stella's survival is canon, then there's a very big chance that she is Eddy's love. That leaves Mel without a partner, but then there's Spook - who's not a noble [it seems; who knows what kind of twists there are? XD] and is familiar with Mel's world of thievery. So yeah. XDD)