Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Valkyriet

Do You Eat Chicken Soup When You're Sick?

Hmm...instead of chicken soup...I eat chinese noodles sometimes...you know, the soft one--can't name them in English.

I was surprised this thread gets so many posts too, lol. Even so, I can't help but spot a few irrelevant posts *sigh*

@ yannes - I guess it just provides a sort of comfort to your throat and to your senses, especially if the soup is hot/warm and if you're suffering from a nose block/cold/cold coupled with headache and so on. There are other uses too.

For example, I recently had a very bad case of tonsilitis overnight and my throat was completely choked. I couldn't talk or swallow anything solid for 3 to 4 days. I got a bit worse because my dad was away on business and I didn't know of any good doctors I could visit. So all I could eat for two days was soup(not even thick soup, very light). And quite amazingly, my throat felt better because of the warmth. Anyways, I'm glad I'm past that x.x! Different people have different needs though.

:)

Ugh... I could use some chicken soup right now... The heat of it would help my throat. Sadly, we don't have any. And I can't even make any, because we don't have the ingredients to even make a 'pantry' chicken soup. (That, and it's 5:30 in the morning. Can't breath=can't sleep. ^^; )

So... for those who eat chicken soup, do you eat canned or homemade?

@ashen:

If you only wanted to clear the throat, I think drinking hot/warm plain water helps too. Those soups, sick people usually eat them when they're hungry, though. So if you have problem to sleep, I think hot water will do, instead of having emergency soup in middle of night :D

And I eat homemade soups. Or else it'd be cupped instant noodle.

I could make some hot water with honey and lemon... or some tea... But I didn't eat supper last night, so I'm kinda hungry now, haha. ^^;

Ooh, instant noodle cups... I think we might have those. Those are good.

We get packed soup powder here, instead of canned soups. I have those most of the time =) I've sorta never had homemade soup, so I can't tell if I prefer home-made or ready-made ^^"

@ shadowshed - Hot water? O.o I don't think that's be very good for your stomach. Hot water is used for gargling, preferably with some salt mixed in it or any mouthwash recommended by the doctor. That's the process you'll want to follow if you want to clear your throat. I'm not sure it helps if you swallow hot water O.x I've tried it, no help xD

@Ashen - You could have some biscuits with tea too. To make it easy to swallow, you can soak the biscuit into the tea so that it becomes soggy, but it still doesn't lose it's taste ;D Same goes for bread and soup. You can have a crisply toasted bread as a whole, or cut it into cubes and just put it in the soup. Bon appetit! Hope you get well soon ^_^

@Vally: I meant to help the throat xD.

But, it works with me, gulping down the [d]incredible[/d] hot water does make it better, clearing the throat. [d]It felt like the throat was burned[/d] Yeah, I know it sometimes not making it better at all. :/

Homemade chicken soup is great. But who has time anymore?

We use canned, and so it can be used anytime of day or night.

Actually the Broth is very helpful too. I would suggest drinking warm broth in the night. Canned, or using the cubes or granuals to make some. You can add extra water to make it weaker if you need to. But the benefits go down too.

Eating the soup for the meal time. The chicken and noodles help fill you up.

This has been found to be an actual help, not just an old wives tale, by the medical commumity.

I almost never eat when I am sick. Assuming that chicken soup is used when you have a cold, that is. Mom thinks it is really fat and, to be honest, we don't really trust chicken bought from the supermarket. The best treatment I know when you have a fever is to wrap yourself up in many, many warm blankets and stay in bed. You are going to sweat like mad, but that is the best way I know of getting rid of the cold and fever :)

@Stella.Nox: I knew that mint tea is good for diarrhea XD and never actually tried it while I was having a sore throat. Instead, I drank the juice of half a lemon with two teaspoons of honey (not sugar!). It is damn effective :D

My mother or grandmother would make me maeuntang or dakdoritang when I'm sick with a severe cold or flu.

My method though is to drink Coke--it slowly clears the phlegm out of my throat and if you are skilled enough to direct the gas that the coke causes you to have so that you may eruct out of your nose, then it's even better because then you can breathe. It stings a tad, but it's better than having your nose plugged. Then I take painkillers and Dayquil/Nyquil.

@ wolfie-girl - I always wrap up in my warm clothes quite early, only to prevent a cold. People go like (o.O) but prevention's always better than cure ^^

@ piepeter - Oh o.o' Well..that's certainly not normal, haha.

@ Haneul - Woah! O.X Like you mentioned, it would require a lot of skill to make that work. I always avoid soft drinks, cold or not. They're not really healthy and it always only worsens my cold.

I think a similar method would be gargling with hot water to clear the throat.

Green tea with lemon and honey works wonders for a clogged or sore throat. (Though, really, nearly any warm beverage will work.)

Coke is good for settling the stomach though. I've used that when I couldn't get ginger ale.