Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Aeternus

Should students get money for good grades?

I saw this topic on another forum and thought it would make for a good debate because I'm sure all of us can relate to it somehow.

I mean, my parents were never into the habit of giving us (me or my siblings) money or anything of monetary value if we did well in school. We always did well in school because it was like an expectation. If we did well, then it was because it was expected of us, and if we happened to do poorly on a test or something, well, it wasn't the end of the world but there was a sense of failure.

But I did know a few people whose parents gave them incentives for doing well in school, like, "I'll give you $__ for every A you get this year" or "If you get at least ___ average, we'll buy you an iPod." Do you think this is wrong? Or is this a good way to motivate an unmotivated kid? (My parents were fortunate that we were pretty self-motivated, even once we moved out to go to university, but I know some kids who are stubborn as heck and just won't do their work.)

My parents didn't really give my siblings or me any rewards for getting good grades. It was expected, or in the case of my sister it was expected she wouldn't do well.

I don't think it's necessarily wrong. I mean if it's either bribe your kid to try to do in school or be stuck with said kid for the rest of your life, bribery is probably the better choice.

The only money and prizes a student should be given for good grades are the better money they will earn as adults and the prizes of self-esteem, pride, and commitment to attaining the highest level of their educational and intellectual development.

Instead of the student asking, "What will you give me for trying?" we should be asking students, "What will you be giving yourself for your future if you apply yourself?" The ultimate reward for a good education is a secure and rewarding future.

External rewards undermine students' natural eagerness to learn. When we offer kids money and prizes, we cheapen the value of learning. I have seen kids who become so accustomed to external rewards that the presents, candy, or money are what they want, rather than the academic achievement itself. I recently overheard a teenage girl like me and her father arguing about how high her grades needed to be in order to get a car, and what kind of car it would be. The conversation had everything to do with the prize and nothing to do with learning.

Our ultimate goal is to create people who make decisions for the right reasons-not because someone is dangling a prize in front of them.

@aeternus: naw, i don't think its wrong. Heck, i like that system more than the current 'get a B and you die' system that's in place for my family and many asian families. Course, mine is way more lenient than those hardcore asian families in asia since those are like "get an A-/3.99 and you die."

@valky: ideally, that would work. though i find schools generally deter students from learning, especially science courses. For example I'm in college and I'm not really learning. I'm memorizing the required things in order to past my class because that's the only way to get a good grade. Few of my science classes do you actually learn. Mainly, you memorize, regurgitate for a test, and forget it.

Mommy gives me 100 Pesos per day, but that's for recess/lunch/fare. She only gives me money for savings when I get a merit card from the school, which is very hard to get, especially with my school's high standards. But, I don't study just for the sake of crispy money. I study because I want to, and it will help me get the job(s) I like! (I plan to take up both Journalism (Broadcasting) and Secondary Education (Social Studies).

Going back to the issue at hand, I don't find any problem with it, but some parents in our village suggest that students get money for good grades. It teaches the person how to budget their money for the time range. If they run out of money and get stuck in the middle of the desert with nothing but themselves, then that's their fault. They did not learn how to be thrifty - one of a scout's virtues. When they grow up, the student will start striving on his own, especially if you live in a dormitory when you start college (or in others' case, university). Also, it teaches the student how to do simple mental mathematics. For example, I have five dollars, and a candy costs three dollars. How much did I cost? How much is my change? Oh sure, young students would start using their fingers in counting, or use a calculator, but soon, they'd learn how to do the four fundamental operations...unless you deal with millions. Also, it teaches the student how to be self-sufficient.

Additional Info! (I'm not going to hurl Statistics at anyone, since I don't want to boil everybody with numbers.)

The amount of money should correspond/is proportional to how good is the student's performance is. If he works outstandingly or very satisfactory, then why not give him a good reward. But if he works too sloppy, or he acts like a mediocre, then give what is rightful. He learns.

I get 25 Singapore dollars per week for recess and lunches and snacks, and stationery.

@aeternus: naw, i don't think its wrong. Heck, i like that system more than the current 'get a B and you die' system that's in place for my family and many asian families. Course, mine is way more lenient than those hardcore asian families in asia since those are like "get an A-/3.99 and you die."

It's not like that, but it is competitive. Population density.

We gave oue kids a dollar for every A they made.That was back in the 60s.All 4 of the kids made a lot of As.I think the money motivated them.They all have good paying jobs.

This really depends upon the student. With our daughter - she loves school and is really great about studying and doing well. She needed no external rewards. Our son on the other hand sees school as the biggest waste of his time that we can inflict on him. It is a huge struggle to get him to take his work seriously. For him, it's a combination of carrot and stick - rationing gaming times and rewarding improved grades with things he wants (new video cards for his computer, games, etc.). It's frustrating to see kids make such poor choices, but there is only so much that the "stick" approach can accomplish.

Well, I get a scholarship which pays my school fee but I have to stay at least the 3th rank. So, yeah, that method works for me at least. But it's better to tell students that they can get even more money after they make it to work with a good education...

My parents never gave me money for good grade but I have received a number of scholarships because of my high grades (along with other factors). That type of money for good grades I'm not going to say no to.

@wyst: how so? it would be motivation to do something you really don't wanna do. Specially since schools like 'weed out' courses so they purposely make the intro classes hard in order to get rid of any non serious people.

i've always done well in school, but sometimes (like at the end of the year), we go out to dinner. in fact, RMXP was my 8th grade "graduation" present XD XD XD

(of course, i'm in desperate need of scholarships, so.......yeah....i have little choice but to do well xD)

I'm good in school, I don't need the motivation of anything really, because I am just horrified at getting a 'B' . But I get $5 for each a I get... so even though I don't need it I still get lots of money by the end of there year. My mom says she wants us to have some spending money. =) I don't think its wrong, as long as its helping you in a way.

We don't really get money as rewards for good grades. If a student does really well in his exams, the family goes out for dinner or the student gets a particular item from his parents.It may be a new cellphone,a book,an ipod,a laptop,anything.The money is handled by the parents only for such purposes.Some parents do give lunch money,but that's irrelevant.

Also,rewards are given by the school too in which students are given certificates according to their rank (1st, 2nd, or 3rd) or storybooks for scoring the highest in a subject.It's called the prize distribution ceremony and high school students also get medals sometimes for good performance.However, never money.

Gosh, no. You don't want them to expect later in life that good work will be rewarded. Don't give them false hopes along with a tiny amount of money.

If you can't tell, I'm kidding! But don't give it as a bribe, give it as a reward. You know what I'm saying?

mmmmm..

I don't know

my father never gives me anything for making good in my study and I don't think that he will ever do it >_<

All things have pros and cons and that depends on the student himself

Yeah, totally, why not? If nothing else, it teaches the students what working life will be all about, right down to negotiating their paychecks and the level of performance expected by the company. XD

@Aislingyngayo:lol YES!

/Discussion: Well, I would reward others' kids for doing stuff I don't really want them to do. like, if they play in my yard & break the window I give 'em 50 cents for doing so & keep paying them to play there but eventually cut it down to 5 so they leave since the reward isn't really worth the time spent on my yard. (try it w/ your little bro/sis or kids. it's amazing how well this works)

You can't really own any actions you're rewarded for so in that sense, it's really not a good idea if you want them to enjoy learning. (not that they will. Schools already work on the principle that any joy of learning must be squashed out of the students so they become loyal little followers for the robotic jobs we have available. The survivors get to be owners/leaders and/or rich.)

ANYWAY... small rewards are best if you wanna both give rewards and motivate your kids to keep learning. I mean ones that aren't really worth the effort put into it but since the student does it anyway, they're able to find their own reasons why they do it that are actually motivating for them.